NCL's Abysmal Communication

JamieLogical

20 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

But masks aren't required in Florida or on GSC. So he would be happy with that. Meanwhile, I wouldn't get off the ship in Florida right now if you paid me money!

If the ship is rerouted to the Bahamas, I doubt it would include Port Canaveral because that would be asking for trouble.  Imagine letting everyone loose in Disney World etc...with all the Floridians.

17 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

If the ship is rerouted to the Bahamas, I doubt it would include Port Canaveral because that would be asking for trouble.  Imagine letting everyone loose in Disney World etc...with all the Floridians.

I mean... there are lots of cruises originating from FL right now, so I don't see why a cruise line would have qualms about stopping there as a port. What's to keep all the people going out on the Gem right now from spending the day in Disney before coming to the pier?

30 minutes ago, oteixeira said:

From the youtube people I watch, if you drive you are allowed to drive home as long as you vouch that you are going straight to your home to quarantine.  You have to go to the hotel if you fly, because of course no one would want a positive person to get on an airplane to fly home.

I am flying to Florida in December and if either of us test positive I would rent a car and drive the 12 or so hours home before I stay in a hotel for a week (if I can get them to allow it).

28 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

A couple that I follow on YouTube tested positive on their Carnival cruise and were allowed to drive home to quarantine in their house some 7 hours away, rather than in Port Canaveral.

That would be awesome if that is the case! We live less than 2 hrs away, and I'd rather be at home if I had to be anywhere quarantined. 😄 I'll need to let my husband know. 

31 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Royal Caribbean just started sailing the Port Canaveral - Nassau - Private island cruises out of New Jersey on Saturday

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

I mean... there are lots of cruises originating from FL right now, so I don't see why a cruise line would have qualms about stopping there as a port. What's to keep all the people going out on the Gem right now from spending the day in Disney before coming to the pier?

Yes...but all passengers need a negative covid test right before they embark in FL.  If it's "just a stop", the passengers don't need an additional test to reboard.  Just another way for an "uninvited guest" to sneak in..........

(I'm not a fan of FL embarkations....just because "what's to stop a Gem passenger from spending the day at Disney before coming to the pier.")

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Yes...but all passengers need a negative covid test right before they embark in FL.  If it's "just a stop", the passengers don't need an additional test to reboard.  Just another way for an "uninvited guest" to sneak in..........

(I'm not a fan of FL embarkations....just because "what's to stop a Gem passenger from spending the day at Disney before coming to the pier.")

I understand your thoughts on Florida based on the news over the past few months and what the political folks say, but based on this map, the entire country is a mess, not just Florida:

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#county-view

I am not sure Disney World is any LESS safe then NYC at this point to be honest.  I think the best bet is to be as safe as we (each of us) can be, and hope for the best.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, oteixeira said:

I understand your thoughts on Florida based on the news over the past few months and what the political folks say, but based on this map, the entire country is a mess, not just Florida:

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#county-view

I am not sure Disney World is any LESS safe then NYC at this point to be honest.  I think the best bet is to be as safe as we (each of us) can be, and hope for the best.

The CDC's map is misleading, because the threshold for "high transmission" is low enough that nearly every county qualifies. This map does a better job of color coding the transmission rates in every county. So yes, while transmission is "high" everywhere, it is significantly highER in counties in FL versus NY.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/us/covid-cases.html

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, knitlady037 said:

Anyone thinking of going to Disney is insane! I was just there and have never seen it so crowded. Waits for lines were 60+ minutes. Between the 2 hour ride there and 2 hour return you do not get much time to enjoy the $100+ admission price

I was under the understanding that last week of Aug the wait times were down as kids went back to school.  Flight of Passage hit a 15 min wait time in animal kingdom and Disney Studios had the Rise of the Resistance boring groups not instantly fill up.   October sailings would be the worst to double dip with this year as the 50th anniversary will attract more crowds.  I'd go to Disney springs and shop maybe shop and bar hop.  Sure there's something closer to shop and drink.

2 minutes ago, worktocruise610 said:

@The P sorry didn’t realize they had minute clinics; and yes should have mentioned they’re drive thru. I know the city wouldn’t have them, but know queens and Brooklyn do. Thanks for all your info, very helpful (and as a NYer, I knew exactly what you meant by NYC lol)

Happy cruising 

This entire testing/timing thing is such a mess. I cancelled my  cruise for next month but still want to try to get all the possibilities in one place for anyone here or coming here in advance, thinking they may test here before they board. I walked past Piers 88 and 90 yesterday and they're still fenced up but with the Sept. 26 Breakaway just weeks away that will change soon. Happy cruising back at ya, neighbor!

• Thanks 1

Florida positivity test rate is running about 15%, down from over 20% (!!!). NYC is running a little under 4.5% right now. So yeah, a stop in Florida might be inviting some additional guests!   At least Disney did re-instate their indoor mask mandate, which isn’t necessarily the case for the rest of Florida. With the timing of arrival (which is usually late) and all that, a Port Canaveral stop for us is always just another ship day unless it’s on the Disney Magic out of NY, where you get included park tickets and transportation. I still wouldn’t mind that re-route to the Bahamas (with or without Florida) though for the easier testing logistics. 

18 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Madison Rapid....it's on 92 and Madison.  My friend got her results before she got home.  And yes, it was the pcr.  They said it takes 4 days....but it didn't.

City testing sites. I use the one at the SI ferry terminal 24 hr turnaround

10 minutes ago, psac said:

Florida positivity test rate is running about 15%, down from over 20% (!!!). NYC is running a little under 4.5% right now. So yeah, a stop in Florida might be inviting some additional guests!   At least Disney did re-instate their indoor mask mandate, which isn’t necessarily the case for the rest of Florida. With the timing of arrival (which is usually late) and all that, a Port Canaveral stop for us is always just another ship day unless it’s on the Disney Magic out of NY, where you get included park tickets and transportation. I still wouldn’t mind that re-route to the Bahamas (with or without Florida) though for the easier testing logistics. 

If the BA gets rerouted for the 10/3 cruise.....I'm onboard.  Discussed with DH...Port Canaveral will be a stay on the ship day too.  My research (which could be wrong, as things change rapidly) is that masks are required in Nassau....so that could be a ship day too.  And we generally get "off and on" in an hour for GSC (just too crowded for me...expecially now).  So, what we'll end up with is lots of sitting on the ship! So boring...but boring in a good way..........

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

If the BA gets rerouted for the 10/3 cruise.....I'm onboard.  Discussed with DH...Port Canaveral will be a stay on the ship day too.  My research (which could be wrong, as things change rapidly) is that masks are required in Nassau....so that could be a ship day too.  And we generally get "off and on" in an hour for GSC (just too crowded for me...expecially now).  So, what we'll end up with is lots of sitting on the ship! So boring...but boring in a good way..........

Yay for good Boring! 😄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Remember, with lower capacity on the ship and not many other NCL ships sailing right now, the number of people on GSC will be a lot lower than "normal".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

Remember, with lower capacity on the ship and not many other NCL ships sailing right now, the number of people on GSC will be a lot lower than "normal".

Yeah....I was thinking that.  I've already got my cabin picked out....and planning to hang with your parents!

Oh well....anyone's guess is just as good as someone else's. The ship's gonna sail....sonewhere.

… and someone in our FB group who emailed the NCL CEO yesterday got an email back saying more info to come within a day or two, and he just posted he got another email saying Bermuda requires a PCR test within 96 hours of departure. That would put our testing day on Thursday instead of Wednesday. And less time for turnaround.  

The Bermuda page still says four days before your departure day, though. 

See topic name of this thread. 😁

Edited by psac
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, The P said:

Very helpful for people in those areas. Thanks for more info. I should have been more specific but that happens when your mail is addressed to NY, NY..........!!

huh? You can’t get to other NYC areas from Manhattan? If it’s a difference between a free test snd a $400 test, I think I would find a way to get there

16 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

huh? You can’t get to other NYC areas from Manhattan? If it’s a difference between a free test snd a $400 test, I think I would find a way to get there

Hey Cincinnati, any New Yorker can get to any borough they want to. Thank goodness I didn't find any $400 test for them to be greeted by. 

On 9/8/2021 at 4:36 PM, psac said:

… and someone in our FB group who emailed the NCL CEO yesterday got an email back saying more info to come within a day or two, and he just posted he got another email saying Bermuda requires a PCR test within 96 hours of departure. That would put our testing day on Thursday instead of Wednesday. And less time for turnaround.  

The Bermuda page still says four days before your departure day, though. 

See topic name of this thread. 😁

96 hours IS 4 days! No change then.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Norway97 said:

96 hours IS 4 days! No change then.

Well, technically, when you get into hours versus days, it's gets tricky. As things stand for Crystal, the advice from Bermuda is to test first thing Wednesday before a Sunday sailing. That means testing at maybe 9:00 or 10:00 am. The ship isn't set to sail until late afternoon on Sunday. So, if the rule is 96 hours, then a 9:00 or 10:00am test is too early. Waiting until late in the afternoon to test on Wednesday introduces more opportunity for your results to come too late.

• Like 2

https://www.royalgazette.com/health/news/article/20210908/live-4-30pm-government-covid-briefing/

just reading the news there makes me glad i didnt book. id be surprised if they let thousands of cruisers on the island. my plan on resuming cruising was wait for a few of 'any line' going where i want to go, to go and come back and see what happens. (quarantine, itinerary change etc etc)

also some lines are giving you up till 48 hours to cancel and get FCC but as everyone well knows, thats a very very bad deal as many of you got screwed with not being able to use them or MUCH higher pricing, thus negating them.  i'm so glad i got my money back in 2020 instead of being forced to take a less desirable situation these days. you pay a premium for bermuda but you wont get anything back if you change to something else. and that would stink, plus based on that article i wonder what tourist things would even be open?