NCL's Abysmal Communication

JamieLogical

Make sure you bring in a copy of the email with the requirements on them. Show them to the person at CVS this weekend and make sure they can administer the tests you need in the timeframe you need them. Don’t just call. This way you can have a guarantee of knowing what is what. And you can even schedule the test while you are there for the day you need to get it. 😄

18 hours ago, suennorm said:

We're booked on the October 24th sailing and received an email today which is very confusing. This is because when I open it, certain sections are blacked out, but when I PRINT it out, nothing is blacked out!

Anyone else read the email this way?  Anyone else print it out and have blocked out sections? So confusing...

The “blacked out” sections are actually links to various websites such as the Bermuda Cruise Passenger Travel Authorisation website. You should be able to click on the link in the letter to take you to the different websites. 

Charlie from the Sept. 26 roll call got an answer from NCL that we can use the 96 hr. PCR test instead of the 72 hr antigen test for the backup test before going to the port.  Then someone from our FB group got an answer from Bermuda that we can submit the TA as late as 2pm on Saturday before the cruise 

2 hours ago, EllieinNJ said:

Charlie from the Sept. 26 roll call got an answer from NCL that we can use the 96 hr. PCR test instead of the 72 hr antigen test for the backup test before going to the port.  Then someone from our FB group got an answer from Bermuda that we can submit the TA as late as 2pm on Saturday before the cruise 

This is all great news. I am just worried that, while Bermuda is okay with the TA being submitted so late, NCL might require a confirmation number or evidence the TA has already been approved to let you onboard. Hopefully all of our Wednesday test results will come in in plenty of time for us to submit our TAs well before Saturday afternoon!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

This is all great news. I am just worried that, while Bermuda is okay with the TA being submitted so late, NCL might require a confirmation number or evidence the TA has already been approved to let you onboard. Hopefully all of our Wednesday test results will come in in plenty of time for us to submit our TAs well before Saturday afternoon!

You're probably right.  I wouldn't wait any longer than Friday afternoon to apply.

4 minutes ago, EllieinNJ said:

You're probably right.  I wouldn't wait any longer than Friday afternoon to apply.

Yeah, I've kind of had "end of day Friday" as my deadline in my head for a while now. I won't panic if I don't get my test results before then, but after then I will be in full-on panic mode!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, CPT Trips said:

Your estimate of transit time from Gibraltar seemed off to me, so I found: http://ports.com/sea-route/port-of-gibraltar,gibraltar/port-of-new-york,united-states/ 

At 20 knots, 7 days.

Breakaway is on her way now from Funchal ... and it will take her 9 days to get to NYC. Current speed is 13 knots.

Very unrealistic for cruise ships to do 20 knots - unless it's an emergency. Burns fuel a lot more.

• Like 1

I can't imagine what kind of meaningful communication a cruiseline could possibly produce until the week before the cruise.  Everything's been up in the air for 18 months with the virus.  They can't tell you things that they don't know; I think they're doing their pax a service to not post conflicting information day after day.  One thing we all know for sure ... do your research and be prepared for ANYTHING, both in the air and on the cruise.  ALWAYS have a Plan B.  Never has it been more true:  travellers need to be pro-active, take responsibility, ask specific questions, and be FLEXIBLE.   

• Like 1

IMO, "flexible" should be everyone's middle name right now.  With all the changes in protocols in countries and even the changes to the specific variants and changes, I'm not sure how anyone can hold a cruise line responsible for holding back on what's really present day. 

Research is always so important but now, it's imperative. 

Edited by All-ready2cruise

Just now, All-ready2cruise said:

IMO, "flexible" should be everyone's name right now.  With all the changes in protocols in countries and even the changes to the specific variants and changes, I'm not sure how anyone can hold a cruise line responsible for holding back on what's really present day. 

Research is always so important but now, it's imperative. 

But if cruise lines are posting/sharing their current protocols and those of the countries they are visiting, then how are we to do said research? Every other cruise line seems to be at least attempting to keep current information posted and up to date. I will give NCL some credit for at least getting info to passengers on the 9/26 sailing before the 15-day cut off for the Peace of Mind policy. I was genuinely concerned they would not. Also, it's not clear why it took quite so long for them to do so when the protocols ended up being nearly identical to what was already posted on Bermuda's site and the Crystal Cruises site. The only minor difference was receiving our "arrival" PCR test at the pier instead of on board once we arrived in/near Bermuda. And, again, they still aren't posting that information anywhere publicly. My husband didn't even get the email about the protocols even though he has his email up-to-date and verified in the online check-in. What is the point of having to share and verify email and SMS numbers for all parties on the booking if they are only sending communications to one of us?

2 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

Every other cruise line seems to be at least attempting to keep current information posted and up to date. 

You cannot be talking about MSC?

They are worse than NCL IMHO right now.

I have a 36 day Africa cruise coming on 11/15 and all of Africa is shut down to cruise ships yet they have not cancelled yet.

Steve

Another issue in NCL's lacking communication has arisen. Those of us on the 9/26 sailing received a letter explicitly stating that we need a PCR test 96 hours out for Bermuda and another test 72 hours out to be eligible for travel/quarantine assistance, should we test positive at the pier. Several people from my roll call have reached out to NCL asking whether our 96 test will cover us and we don't need a 72 hour test. All have been told we do NOT need the 72 hour test and the 96 hour test will  be sufficient. This include the leader of our roll call contacting the VP of Guest Services directly. I now have a screenshot of that email on my phone just in case. But if it is true that we do not need to do the 72 hour test, NCL really should be sending a notification out to everyone who received the first letter saying that we do.

• Like 3

@JamieLogical

They should post and e-mail...a nice organized flow chart, like the one you did a few days ago.

What they did send is just too confusing.  The "confused people" will just show up at the pier with their check-in documents in hand, assuming everything's gonna be worked out and then they can board.

Of course none of this will help the "computer illiterate" people who receive paper confirmations from their TA by snail mail (I know some).

16 hours ago, bluesea777 said:

Breakaway is on her way now from Funchal ... and it will take her 9 days to get to NYC. Current speed is 13 knots.

Very unrealistic for cruise ships to do 20 knots - unless it's an emergency. Burns fuel a lot more.

I've been on Breakaway many times and she often does 20knots and many of my itineraries depended on 20 knots between ports.  However, 20 knots in open Atlantic water gets impossibly rough in seas over 12-15'. We slowed on two occasions and were late arriving.