RCCL URL on Optum Store to order BinaxNow

sandc4e

3 minutes ago, norway olin said:

I would be leery of getting only the exact number needed.   I opened one test package and there was no liquid vial/bottle inside.  On another occasion the proctor had some connection problems and we had to abort when she could not properly view my results.

In Ohio we get them for free at the library so I can afford to experiment

That would suck if you only had the needed amount and something happened!  Every state should give them out for free!

43 minutes ago, kruzerci said:

So Royal and Optum can make a profit off the tests 🙄. Disgusting, IMO. Royal should be negotiating a wholesale rate and passing it along to the customers, not skimming off the top.  

Nonsense, the test prices have been constant for a year, Royal isn’t adding anything to the cost. 
One can not negotiate a price on a commodity that is difficult to keep in stock; just the opposite is true, Abbott could raise the price, and still be selling out.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

Note there is nothing special about this RC Optum link. It's the same tests and same price Optum is already selling.

True, but people were asking where the RCCL tests were.  Figured I would share the link.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is this product different? Just saw it when I was in CVS today.

Deleted link to avoid confusion. I read description more and the BinaxNow they sell is not good for travel.

Can I use this COVID test to meet travel requirements for testing?

No, this is for personal use only and doesn’t provide a documented test result that you can display when traveling. For a documented test result the BinaxNOW COVID-19 Ag Card Home Test may be a better  Combined with the NAVICA App and with a negative result, you will have a digital result that may meet travel requirements. This test is offered by eMed, please visit www.emed.com for further information.

Edited by coaster

2 hours ago, kruzerci said:

So Royal and Optum can make a profit off the tests 🙄. Disgusting, IMO. Royal should be negotiating a wholesale rate and passing it along to the customers, not skimming off the top.  

Royal is simply referring people to the Optum link so they can purchase the proper test.     Optum did Not change their prices for either 2 or 3 pack of test kits.      I am sure you are wrong in assuming that Royal is skimming off the top.

You are Not purchasing the kits from Royal.    You would be purchase directly thru Optum.

Or for people that need or want more than 2 or 3 at home test kits then order thru emed.com for the 6 pack at cost of $150.     

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thjeepster said:

That would suck if you only had the needed amount and something happened!  Every state should give them out for free!

Let's hope every state doesn't start giving out at home test kits for free then anyone that needs them for cruising / traveling would have a tough time getting them.😇

there are plenty of other free testing options by all states.  

4 minutes ago, coaster said:

I went to order the 2 pack through the link Royal provided and it seems that only one person can use it. It asks for details for one person and not the option for two.

each test can be used for separate individuals.     It will ask for details of one person for the order then when you get the kits and load the app to your phone or other device each person then individually registers by using the code from the test kit.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coaster said:

Thank you not-enough-cruising and Sunshine3601 for the clarification. Really didn't want to spend $140 for the two of us.

I finally called Optum because I couldn't figure out how many kits we needed for the 2 of us. Very nice young woman, said we only needed one of the 2 packs for the two of us. Also said they had received a lot of calls from Royal cruisers.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Unless you have some proof that RCI is somehow getting a kickback from these sales, that's unfounded.

Biker, who wondered how long it would be before the "bad ole profit hungry RCI " mantra would be trotted out.

If you think Royal Caribbean would put their name alongside anything and Optum would create a RC specific portal on their storefront without Royal Caribbean having a revenue share interest, you are sadly mistaken 😂. Otherwise Royal Caribbean would just have a link pointing you towards the general Optum storefront. I work in the IT contracting industry, I see this regularly. 

31 minutes ago, kruzerci said:

If you think Royal Caribbean would put their name alongside anything and Optum would create a RC specific portal on their storefront without Royal Caribbean having a revenue share interest, you are sadly mistaken 😂. Otherwise Royal Caribbean would just have a link pointing you towards the general Optum storefront. I work in the IT contracting industry, I see this regularly. 

What's the revenue stream? RC is paying Optum to put up that store front and the test cost is no different than it is on the non-RC store front. RC is likely losing money on this (albeit probably not much).

This is a PR move to give passengers some peace of mind that the cruise line they're sailing can get quickly get them tests that the cruise line will accept.

So RC is likely losing money on the Optum partnership, but losing a lot less than they would if people started canceling cruises out of concern over the CDC's ridiculous test window.