Still Awaiting A Full Explanation from Silversea Management

Sodashire

2 hours ago, Gourmet Gal said:

That’s the problem…I’m allergic to wine!

There's no sorry-to-hear-that button, so I'll just say I'm sorry to hear that, but of course there is much more to life!  If its any consolation, I developed an allergy to beef, ham, any mammalian meat.  Awful! There was a discussion about bad burgers somewhere, and I wanted to jump in to say Silversea make a great turkey burger with aioli, but I just couldn't do it...  am I off topic again?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just spotted our VS loyalty statement is back up in my.silversea.

Just a heads up.

Just starting our first "proper" cruise on Viking from Valletta. Very impressed so far. Will be checking details of a Norway Northern lights in Jan 22 to replace the slot for the expected Panama cancellation. Just which they'd do so sooner rather than later. 

Dinner booked for Manfredi's tonight. 

Edited by les37b
  • Like 1

On 9/20/2021 at 9:11 AM, les37b said:

Just spotted our VS loyalty statement is back up in my.silversea.

Just a heads up.

Just starting our first "proper" cruise on Viking from Valletta. Very impressed so far. Will be checking details of a Norway Northern lights in Jan 22 to replace the slot for the expected Panama cancellation. Just which they'd do so sooner rather than later. 

Dinner booked for Manfredi's tonight. 

You obviously got to Valletta ok, have a great cruise!

Are you going to post on the Viking board?

Edited by Silver Spectre
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Silver Spectre said:

You obviously got to Valletta ok, have a great cruise!

Are you going to post on the Viking board?

Flights were delayed  coming out and eventually got onboard at 9pm.

It’s was kind of strange that all the Covid paperwork wasn’t looked at until the exit in Malta. I did get the feeling it had been a waste of time, but luckily it was all in order.

Viking has been good. I mentioned I think that they had dropped Kotor from our cruise because  Montenegro went red. I learned today the next couple of cruises they have cancelled all UK customers and going there regardless. I would not have been happy to have a cruise cancelled 2 weeks before sailing where there was an easy solution they’d ignored and used on the 2 previous visits.

Did Triv today (not as good as on SS), and had a good chat with the CD Damien who is on his first season on Viking after working on the Spirit and other SS ships. I’ve not met him previously. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Refreshing this thread back to its original intent.  I just received a new iPhone 13 today, one of the new features is a security function that tells you if your passwords have been compromised. I received notification that my Silversea password was subject to compromise along with my SiriusXm pw. Not sure how Apple knows this? But I was concerned that my Silversea account was at risk...especially considering that my passport information was stored therein. I don't recall receiving any warning from SS on this threat given that there systems were down for an extended period of time a few months ago..

Silversea executives like Barbara Muckermann promised a full statement after they completed their investigation. Silversea then never made such a statement/explanation to customers or shareholders. A sentence in a Facebook post in group only a small percentage of customers will ever see does not qualify as a full explanation. It's disappointing to see that they decided to bury this and hope everyone would forget rather than being transparent and explaining what happened, what they did, and whether/why no customer data was compromised.

• Like 1

I seem to recall that we were reassured by Barbara Muckermann that no customer data had been compromised and shortly after everything was up and running again we were invited to change our passwords on My Silversea.   Without information or evidence that any passenger has been disadvantaged or compromised I am not sure why anyone why might think that we have any right to information as to what exactly occurred nor why beyond the explanation previously provided.   

• Like 2

and ....... is Cruise Critic an appropriate place to raise this, if it bothers anyone then perhaps it would be worthwhile writing to the CEO and asking for an explanation rather than griping on here which is a fairly pointless exercise and unlikely to result in what it seems may be the desired outcome.

• Like 1

I was merely noting that Barbara Muckermann stated they'd issue a full statement once they completed their internal investigations, and they didn't. That's the only thing I think we have a reasonable right to expect -- what they promised they'd provide. I have no idea what information or systems were or were not compromised. There were several short snippets of information on Facebook, but no statement once they took care of getting everything back up and running. As customers, we don't need to, or have a right to, information about their workplace, their systems, or who did what right or wrong. But the company should be transparent to its customers whose data they store. For instance, if absolutely no data was compromised, why did they force everyone to create new passwords? If login data was not compromised, that would be an unnecessary step. I'm happy for them and for us if no data for passengers, crew, or suppliers was compromised, but being completely shut down for more than a week, and for many systems, for two weeks, is certainly an extraordinary event, and it's surprising to me that they didn't follow through to clear the air and lay the incident to rest.

As for this being an inappropriate thing to discuss on Cruise Critic, I'd disagree. People discuss every aspect of cruising life and Silversea operations on this community forum, from what brand of soap they're using to which champagne they're serving to the rotation of senior officers on various ships to whether polo shirts do or do not meet the standards fora collared shirt, and so much more. 😉 I don't see why talking about the company's severe systems outage, and what explanations they offered (or not) to their customers should be out of bounds for discussion here.

I'm not expecting a response from the company; they don't post here and I don't think they read much or at all here. I'm not going to write to the CEO of the company, who surely has more pressing matters in these times than to write back to an individual customer. But I didn't think there was any problem offering an opinion among this community that discusses everything Silversea that I was disappointed by the company's PR handling of this incident. 

• Like 6

Cruiseej, your replies are always so spot on, detailed and cordial at the same time😀 

I agree with your thoughts.........I didn't really think anyone was going to come back here and I also agree, it is fine to post about the topic on here. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cruiseej...Agree with your precise and Excellent summary and the fact that it is an important issue and this board is the perfect place to raise such issues.Thank you for your contribution which I shall follow with interest. 

• Thanks 1

FWIW  - I create new and unique email addresses “on the fly” for every different registration,  eg silversea@mydomain.com.  This enables me to know instantly what organisation has compromised my details and make suitable mail filters.

Silversea has twice - at least - in the past compromised login details and when I notified them - twice - I received no response.