Still Awaiting A Full Explanation from Silversea Management

Sodashire

Like some  who have already posted in various Silversea threads we also do not do Facebook or any other of the social media outlets. Cruise Critic is the only forum where we can gain any information (and a little fun). We all know that their system has just come back on line after a number of days being off line. I am sure I am not the only one who has waited for an email/letter through the post from Silversea top management with an apology and a FULL explanation as to why ‘they’ took it it down (I know from this board and from Silversea first page of their web site, after several days of no information, they said closing down the website was their own doing). 
We have felt for a number of years that the ‘top brass’ in the Silversea have had very little regard to their very loyal client base. This is the complete opposite of what one experiences on board from Officers, crew and clerical staff, all of who go out of their way in communicating information(good or bad) from tours to missing laundry, to change of itinerary etc. It would have taken very little (in this day and age, pressing a few buttons) to inform and put at ease their clientele. Then when the system was back up and running as it has been for a couple of days to send out a letter fully explaining the situation that caused them to close it down for a considerable time and to put at rest the concerns of their clientele about a possible breach of data etc.

Poor show Silversea management.

• Like 2

Just an opinion, but I thought from what I read I got enough information from Silversea.  I just didn’t need another e-mail in my inbox.  For me it was OK how they did it, I really don’t need to know everything that happened.  No personal information was involved.  Remember just my opinion, and others may feel differently.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ronrick1943 said:

Just an opinion, but I thought from what I read I got enough information from Silversea.  I just didn’t need another e-mail in my inbox.  For me it was OK how they did it, I really don’t need to know everything that happened.  No personal information was involved.

There has been no official information from Silversea other than a Facebook post that their system was down and that they were working on it. There were a few Facebook posts from Silversea employees with one sentence statements not to worry, but no official explanations. These few posts indicated they didn't think any data was stolen, but they used hedging words that didn't say it was definitive. 

I agree that we don't need to know everything that happened, but I do feel we should receive a statement. It should state unequivocally that no passenger data was retrieved or stolen, if that is in fact the final outcome of their investigation. It should at least explain why customers had to create new passwords if there was in fact no data breach.  And what company would not take the opportunity to apologize to customers who were traveling or nearing travel and were unable to get information they needed in a timely manner, or were otherwise inconvenienced during the two weeks their systems were down? It's just the right thing to do to do right by your customers.

That all said, it seems Silversea folks respond on Facebook, but do not read or reply in this forum, so talking about what we expect from them here is probably an exercise in futility. 😉

6 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

There has been no official information from Silversea other than a Facebook post that their system was down and that they were working on it. There were a few Facebook posts from Silversea employees with one sentence statements not to worry, but no official explanations. These few posts indicated they didn't think any data was stolen, but they used hedging words that didn't say it was definitive. 

I agree that we don't need to know everything that happened, but I do feel we should receive a statement. It should state unequivocally that no passenger data was retrieved or stolen, if that is in fact the final outcome of their investigation. It should at least explain why customers had to create new passwords if there was in fact no data breach.  And what company would not take the opportunity to apologize to customers who were traveling or nearing travel and were unable to get information they needed in a timely manner, or were otherwise inconvenienced during the two weeks their systems were down? It's just the right thing to do to do right by your customers.

That all said, it seems Silversea folks respond on Facebook, but do not read or reply in this forum, so talking about what we expect from them here is probably an exercise in futility. 😉

Sorry, my mistake—I thought I read something here on CC.  Maybe it was my TA send me something.

58 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

Sorry, my mistake—I thought I read something here on CC.  Maybe it was my TA send me something.

There has been zilch here on CC. For those that don’t do FB or any other social media, SS and in particular BM has been as quiet as a ‘dead’ church mouse.

I hate to appear like a SS apologist.  I am not.  For example, I have recently and vigorously objected to the decision to include excursions with no opt-out provision.

But I think this screed is well off the mark.

You do not state how or whether you were personally affected by the outage.  I was not, and I think that the vast majority of SS guests (to all of whom you would have apparently sent a message) were not affected or, more likely, were unaware of the situation.

I have no reason to receive an apology, and I do not believe I deserve any "FULL explanation as to why ‘they’ took it it down" any more than I deserve an explanation as to why they make this or that decision.  If guests data were compromised, I agree that there should be notification.  But I know of no evidence that such was the case.  In the case of an IT issue like this, I can imagine that there might be good security reasons for not providing a " FULL explanation." 

More generally, my experience has been that that the ‘top brass’ in the Silversea have regard for their clients.  I understand that the North American head of SS flew to Dallas in the early hours of the morning to greet guests coming in by chartered flight from South America during COVID shutdowns.  Is this disregard?   

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Observer said:

I hate to appear like a SS apologist.  I am not.  For example, I have recently and vigorously objected to the decision to include excursions with no opt-out provision.

But I think this screed is well off the mark.

You do not state how or whether you were personally affected by the outage.  I was not, and I think that the vast majority of SS guests (to all of whom you would have apparently sent a message) were not affected or, more likely, were unaware of the situation.

I have no reason to receive an apology, and I do not believe I deserve any "FULL explanation as to why ‘they’ took it it down" any more than I deserve an explanation as to why they make this or that decision.  If guests data were compromised, I agree that there should be notification.  But I know of no evidence that such was the case.  In the case of an IT issue like this, I can imagine that there might be good security reasons for not providing a " FULL explanation." 

More generally, my experience has been that that the ‘top brass’ in the Silversea have regard for their clients.  I understand that the North American head of SS flew to Dallas in the early hours of the morning to greet guests coming in by chartered flight from South America during COVID shutdowns.  Is this disregard?   

On Facebook Barbara Muckermann stated that a full explanation of what had happened would be provided once systems were restored. An apology was not expected but a full explanation was, and it has not been forthcoming.

2 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

What you probably remember seeing is the post at the top of this forum that Laura posted. It was the statement from SS that they sent her.......maybe that is what you were referring to? But now that I look, it seems that post is no longer there........

• Like 1

Here is the statement from Barbara Muckermann that Laura had posted on Aug 26, 2021.  I removed it when it no longer seemed relevant.  It is now visible again (but unpinned, so it has dropped down in the rankings):

On 8/26/2021 at 6:07 PM, LauraS said:

We've been asked to share this message from Silversea Cruises.  It appears below in it's entirety and unedited in any way:

We apologize as we are currently experiencing a system outage. Our technology team is working urgently to resolve this issue and we will provide an update as soon as we have additional information on the restoration timeline. We sincerely apologize for this interruption and inconvenience.

For urgent matters and guests sailing in the next 7 days, please reach us via direct or private message on our social media channels.

If you are in transit to or from one of our vessels, have air booked with Silversea, and are experiencing an air travel-related emergency, you may contact +1-786-275-7089. For all other inquiries, please contact us via social media direct or private message.

For enquiries regarding final payment on existing bookings, please note that the Early Booking Bonus deadline has been extended to September 3rd, 2021. Our Reservations team will get directly in touch with travel agents and booked guests in the next few days.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.

• Thanks 1

Whilst I appreciate that everyone has their own opinions and expectations and perhaps it is that we was brought up in an era in the UK where management cared for their customers. After all without customers they would not have a job. So we had just expected a communication from top brass explaining exactly what had happened and to reassure us that no personal data had been compromised. After all they are well equipped to do mass mailings. We have several friends who do not even look at this board either, so literally had no idea what was gaining on.

Observer… we were on the Shadow that ended in Recife and eventually got on the charter plane taking the UK and rest of Europe guests that landed at Heathrow. There was NO  top brass or anyone employed by Silversea to greet us etc at Heathrow. They just employed their land agents Intercruises to ‘greet’ us and give those with onward flights details. No food or beverages either.

However Observer we do agree with you about ‘excursions included’. There should be an opt out.

• Like 2

I was on board Silver Origin when this happened.  Here is what I was told by the expedition leader.  The computer system was hacked when someone in the system opened a phishing email.  Therefore, as a precaution, they took the entire system down and had to examine every computer to make sure that no information had been allowed to escape or be corrupted.  Fixing this problem takes quite a bit of time, and I am actually amazed at how quickly it got resolved.  The same thing. Happened to the City of Tulsa computer system, and it took several weeks to get resolved.

• Like 4

I for one think having included options for shore excursions as well as optional ones (for a fee) is a great way to bring Silversea into a more competitive position with Regent.  Just because it is included does not mean you cannot opt out, just don't go on any you do not want.  Drinks are also included and you have the same options.  Dinner service is included as well.  If al a carte for everything is what you are looking for than perhaps a luxury cruise is not the best fit, there are plenty of cruise lines that do not include much of anything unless you pay extra.  It seems to me that not being nickle and dimed for everything and having a large "tab" to pay at the end of the cruise is a positive not a negative.

This of course is just MY opinion and why I love luxury line cruising.  When I have sailed on "other" cruises, even in the suite category or haven category I find myself making some decisions based on cost to avoid sticker shock at the end of the cruise when the final bill is tallied.  If it is included I only consider whether or not I would enjoy it, not what it costs.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Jerry987654321 said:

If it is included I only consider whether or not I would enjoy it, not what it costs.

I believe you hit the nail on the head there Jerry.

Every day we wrestle with what it costs, what its worth, and what we need to save, etc.  Step on a Silversea cruise and you'll get a break, enjoy yourself, almost priceless, if only for a short time

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jerry987654321 said:

I for one think having included options for shore excursions as well as optional ones (for a fee) is a great way to bring Silversea into a more competitive position with Regent.  Just because it is included does not mean you cannot opt out, just don't go on any you do not want.  Drinks are also included and you have the same options.  Dinner service is included as well.  If al a carte for everything is what you are looking for than perhaps a luxury cruise is not the best fit, there are plenty of cruise lines that do not include much of anything unless you pay extra.  It seems to me that not being nickle and dimed for everything and having a large "tab" to pay at the end of the cruise is a positive not a negative.

This of course is just MY opinion and why I love luxury line cruising.  When I have sailed on "other" cruises, even in the suite category or haven category I find myself making some decisions based on cost to avoid sticker shock at the end of the cruise when the final bill is tallied.  If it is included I only consider whether or not I would enjoy it, not what it costs.

Of course you are completely entitled to your personal choice / opinion in this respect, but I suspect most cruisers do factor the costs and does form a big part in the choice. I personally never ever look at Regent because they are so much more expensive and include things I don't wont. It's hardly nickel and diming. The cost of my 16 night Panama booking for Jan 2022 was approx £5200. Having a free excursion (which are generally not worth using) and a limo from my house to the airport, has increased the cost to £8800 on the identical sailing 12 months later. It's wonderful if cost isn't a factor, but it certainly is for me. That's a huge increase for something I don't want or need. 

I suspect if we had a poll to ask if an increase of 70% was worth paying to get a "free" excursion, I doubt too many would think it would be. You can opt out of the excursions and also the flight - and be credited with £750, which is a clear indication that not too much value is placed on what's "free". 

I very rarely utilise ship excursions and prefer to DIY any excursions I might like to take. Cost isn't the only factor - I also get a bigger choice of what I do and don't do. Now I can understand this might not be everyone's cup of tea, but you then have the choice to book what SS has on offer. Everyone's happy - apart from the fact you are now paying for something you'd had "included" and our cost increased. Something you could always do - but without a 70% increase in price!

Now I can understand applying the logic you don't need to use it for inclusive drinks or the butler (which I never use), but its always been included in the fares and have been acceptable. This change (for me anyway) make them non acceptable. I suspect than once the 42 days Ive got booked are used, they will be my last on SS unless that decision gets reversed and I already have a "preferred CL" waiting in the wings, so you can appreciate this market change will lose bookings, though maybe may gain some Regent "jumpers". Time will tell. Shame I will lose free laundry, but hey ho. 

Edited by les37b
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

One additional comment on the downside of included excursions with higher base cruise fares. We often do take cruise ship excursions, so having them included would seem to be a plus for us. But excursions are typically the main use of whatever onboard credits we have accrued. Some people may use credits for premium wines or spa services; we tend to use them first and foremost for excursions we chose. So when they raise the base price of the cruise to include excursions, then we have less -- of value to us -- on which to use our OBCs. (Yes, we can always find a way to use up OBC, whether for laundry or wine or the spa -- but it's not as if this is "play money"; it figures into the total cost of the cruise.)

That said, I don't know how this thread about a statement from SS management about the hacking incident has turned into a thread about the pros and cons of included excursions! 😉  

• Like 1

I have a couple of problems with SS right now.  First, my Cruise Consultant who I have booked 5 cruises with is out ill. He has been great.   We have a number of verbal agreements on the table which I don't know will be honored.  The big one is the Early Booking Bonus was extended to 9/3/21.  It is now 9/12 2021 and I haven't heard from them.  I have no idea whether they are going to further extend the EBB.  I have about $24,000 on the table from this alone.  I wish some how we could get this resolved.  I also have the 2024 far east world cruise booked, so they, I would think should be very nice to me right now.  Anybody have any information on what they are doing with the EBB.  Thanks.

53 minutes ago, chrism23 said:

I have a couple of problems with SS right now.  First, my Cruise Consultant who I have booked 5 cruises with is out ill. He has been great.   We have a number of verbal agreements on the table which I don't know will be honored.  The big one is the Early Booking Bonus was extended to 9/3/21.  It is now 9/12 2021 and I haven't heard from them.  I have no idea whether they are going to further extend the EBB.  I have about $24,000 on the table from this alone.  I wish some how we could get this resolved.  I also have the 2024 far east world cruise booked, so they, I would think should be very nice to me right now.  Anybody have any information on what they are doing with the EBB.  Thanks.

It is good to know that you are pleased with your SS consultant (so am I!) and I am sorry to learn of his illness.

The consultants cover for one another.  Just call 800 682 8517 and don't put in an extension number.  I have had wonderful service from consultants who were covering for my absent consultant.  I simply explain (as they can see) that my consultant is so-and-so and s/he is away.

Edited by Observer

AFAIK, the EBB for cruises that were advertised as having an EBB is good till Sep 30th. 
Not sure about the rest of the year. 
The EBB is going away next year, I was told, accompanied by a reduction in price - I can believe the demise of the EBB but not the other half of the equation. 

• Like 2

To the issue of this thread and the discussion about what has or may have happened at SS with respect to the extended outage of IT and phone systems.

From what I read, the early explanations was (a) a fire drill and (b) a series of IT decisions to PROTECT the systems from a possible future attack. 

No business shuts down for some weeks for a fire drill. What normally happens in a well-ordered company is that when you have a fire drill you never shut down everything from everyone outside particularly in a business that has SS's obligations with a world-wide travelling customer base, but instead the most senior people who have done many fire drills and who prefer to keep seated rather than run to the car-park are left to man the system and all those that are still learning to shave or do make up go and stand in their alloted space in the rain and in their allocated space in the far end of the car park waiting to see the pretend flames die down and have their name checked off the list and be told by people wearing day-glo plastic jackets that the pretend fire has been put out and it is now safe to go back to pretend to work.

The second explanation provided by a SVP was that it was to prevent an issue and that it would all be done and dusted in a few hours.  "Move on, move on their is nothing to see here".  This seemed odd when originally suggested and whatever/whatever it clearly is illogical and didn't turn out could never have turned out to be true.  So it was untrue. People tend not to advertise that they plan to attack as warning people tends to negate the whole point of the attack.

The scenario that most fits what happened is that SS hadn't paid for anti virus / anti ransomware on all it's workstations.  What also fits is that it didn't have an operational and fully stress tested roll back system which normally involves an overnight backup of the whole shebang plus hourly updates during the day of all critical systems so that you can in a day or to of frenetic activity and a load of running around and shouting and excuse making and soothing assurances  roll back the system to the last known safe point.  All robust and sensisble IT systems have been doing this for over 30 years or so and only the slower learners or confused still get caught out.

The scenario that most fits is that someone opened googling away at stuff then opened an email that contained a bit of ransomware on an unprotected workstation that then immediately went through the whole inadequately protected sysyem.  This nudged a ransomn demand for a large sum of bitcoin which was rejected and everyone since has been frantically trying to work out what to do next.

My theory.

Jeff

• Like 1

Hello Jeff.

As usual, you will have hit the nail on the head. Silversea management landslide around the globe, needs to follow in the footsteps of those at sea. Always communicate with your clients/guests the good and the bad news. We are all human, mistakes happen, but you have to be honest. No proper communication is a fault that will always snowball and come back to haunt you

Great to see you back. How about some food pictures. I am sure we were not the only ones that drooled at the mouth when looking at them