Binax Test Order - Mixed Results

WmFoster

1 hour ago, Tatka said:

Received package yesterday. Package has date 2021-10-05 near hourglass (expiration?) and another date is 2021-02-08 (production date?) ...

So updated expiration date is 2022-02-08, right?

I received a 6 pak from EMED with pretty much the same dates as yours.  I called them to find out when they actually expire because I have heard the extension of the expiration date is 3 months and on their website it basically says a  year.

I was told that the original expiration date is 9 months from the manufacturing date, which is 2/8/2021, so 9 months from then is Nov 8 or so.  Adding three months to that would make them expire in Feb.   Having said that, the expiration date of the ones I received, is Oct, NOT Nov.  If I extend the date 3 months, it takes me to Jan, not Feb, so they would be good for 11 months.

The Representative that I spoke to agreed that something is wrong and he offered to escalate the question and I asked for an answer in writing.  I was told I would hear within 24-48 hours.  That was last Thurs, 9/9.  I called again yesterday as I hadn't heard anything and there still is no real answer to the question.  It's absolutely crazy!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, cb at sea said:

Honestly...is a cruise vacation WORTH this headache?  I mean, I love cruising...but not at this level of insanity.

Amen, We have cancelled 4 so far <We have 2 coming up Sept 19 and Sept 26,cancelled.

Can't deal with the stress.

Maybe next year..

Regards,

Manny & Lydia LI NY

4 hours ago, karmamule said:

We got lucky: the 6-pack we received a couple weeks ago (through emed) have an expiration of December 2021, so with the 3 month extension that makes them good through next March.

You might want to check and make sure your batch has an extension and that Dec isn't the 'final' expiration date. Could also check the manufacture date on the box.

update: Looking at the pdf document of extended dates the latest original expiration date that was extended was 21-Nov-2021. So those Dec ones might well be the final expiration date. Eventually they were putting the longer date on the boxes.

Edited by twins_to_alaska

42 minutes ago, katiel53 said:

I received a 6 pak from EMED with pretty much the same dates as yours.  I called them to find out when they actually expire because I have heard the extension of the expiration date is 3 months and on their website it basically says a  year.

I was told that the original expiration date is 9 months from the manufacturing date, which is 2/8/2021, so 9 months from then is Nov 8 or so.  Adding three months to that would make them expire in Feb.   Having said that, the expiration date of the ones I received, is Oct, NOT Nov.  If I extend the date 3 months, it takes me to Jan, not Feb, so they would be good for 11 months.

The Representative that I spoke to agreed that something is wrong and he offered to escalate the question and I asked for an answer in writing.  I was told I would hear within 24-48 hours.  That was last Thurs, 9/9.  I called again yesterday as I hadn't heard anything and there still is no real answer to the question.  It's absolutely crazy!

No it's not if you know how expiry dates are calculated and then assigned. I would not expect the telephone representative to be able to explain the differences unless the representative was familiar with manufacturing and sterilization procedures  and stability testing for the purpose of determining an expiration date. 

It is very common that stability date for a sterilized product will show that the product is sterile for a certain amount of time after a sterilization cycle under the conditions under which the product is held for the parameters of the  stability study.

However, the actual expiration date  that is placed on the product is usually shorter than the length of time than the amount of time for which data is provided. This allows for time that a product may be out of the parameters listed on the package (room temperature can vary in the real world and will not fall within the study limits) and shortens the shelf life from that under controlled conditions.

Therefore a product that has a manufacturing date and data that shows it can be stable for a year  in a controlled environment will have a real life expiration data of less than a year to allow for the flucuations in storage conditions outside those in the labeling. 

Go with the information as listed on the package. For the end user, that is the date that needs to be followed.

The three  month extension of expiration dates for the test kits applies only to those kits showing dates between September 6, 2021 and November 21, 2021 and only means three months added unto those dates.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, forgotmyCCname said:

I have had overnight service and kits that expire August 2022 from eMed. We need the 6 packs and the price is better.

Very happy with eMed service.

I just got two boxes from rccl site. There is a sticker with the Lot number and bar code and the date 2021-10-05. Under the lot number is 2021-02-08.  Which is the expiration date?  I need to get 1 more kit for the end of this month.  I won't need any again until Jan so if I order too many I don't want them to expire..

20 minutes ago, siren said:

I just got two boxes from rccl site. There is a sticker with the Lot number and bar code and the date 2021-10-05. Under the lot number is 2021-02-08.  Which is the expiration date?  I need to get 1 more kit for the end of this month.  I won't need any again until Jan so if I order too many I don't want them to expire..

10/5/21 is the original expiration same as mine. I'm pretty sure yours has been extend another 3 months into January.

Edited by dwayneb236

Can someone clarify if you guys are ordering and performing these tests for your own piece of mind, or are they required? I'm sailing for the first time with RCC in <20 days and just registered for the test being administered at the pier pre-embarking - but I'm not aware of any other self testing requirements. Am I missing something, or are all of you just overly cautious?

Ordered the six pack from eMed Sunday afternoon, 9/12/21 and received them this morning , Tuesday 9/14/21. All went well.  I would not hesitate to order from them again.  It’s so nice this option is available. I went this route because I trust getting it done in time and having the results more than getting an appointment locally and trusting they send the results before flying out the day before the cruise.  Nice having two extra test too.

23 hours ago, forgotmyCCname said:

I have had overnight service and kits that expire August 2022 from eMed. We need the 6 packs and the price is better.

Very happy with eMed service.

I haven't seen anyone else that got kits with expiration dates that for out.  It looks like you got newly made kits.  Did you just order them through the eMed website, or did you order by phone and request one from a fresh supply?

2 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

Can someone clarify if you guys are ordering and performing these tests for your own piece of mind, or are they required? I'm sailing for the first time with RCC in <20 days and just registered for the test being administered at the pier pre-embarking - but I'm not aware of any other self testing requirements. Am I missing something, or are all of you just overly cautious?

Where are you sailing out of? In the US the only folks who test at the pier are the unvaccinated. Everyone over the age of 2 has to show up with test results.

1 hour ago, AshleyDillo said:

Where are you sailing out of? In the US the only folks who test at the pier are the unvaccinated. Everyone over the age of 2 has to show up with test results.

Sailing out of Cyprus. We're vaccinated, but had to register with Eurofins for testing at the pier before being allowed on board. Once on board the email says we need to register for our Covid test to come back home to the US. Not sure how we'll do that if we don't have the internet package...

22 minutes ago, Sailing12Away said:

Sailing out of Cyprus. We're vaccinated, but had to register with Eurofins for testing at the pier before being allowed on board. Once on board the email says we need to register for our Covid test to come back home to the US. Not sure how we'll do that if we don't have the internet package...

You use the Royal Caribbean App. to register for your Covid test.  The App. doesn't require the internet package.  It connects to the ships wifi for free, and it used for dining and entertainment reservations, virtual muster drill, Digital stateroom key, tracking your onboard spending. . . . 

On 9/13/2021 at 6:41 PM, heimdall said:

Did they move your order status to shipped before they arrived?  I also ordered a 2-pack on the 8th… and they are reported as not yet shipped, today.   And I have a sailing on Sunday.  😕 About to cancel my order and order from eMed instead.

Yes you do get a new email with the status moved.  However mine were shipped after I was supposed to receive them so that was a bit disconcerting.  They were listed for no later than Friday.  I called to check Sat and learned they had not shipped.  But they arrived on Monday amazingly. 

We ordered them to have all our bases covered. We did a test run with a state facility but they would only do the PCR because we weren't symptomatic. It took 3 days to get the results. We may try a CVS or Walgreens but we'll have the home test kits just in case.

On 9/13/2021 at 5:41 PM, cb at sea said:

Honestly...is a cruise vacation WORTH this headache?  I mean, I love cruising...but not at this level of insanity.

sure for us. not really that big a deal. its like 30 minutes out of one day for testing. we can handle that I'm sure. not an issue at all. 

• Like 1