Penalty For Arriving Earlier Than Assigned Boarding Time

No sure how they do it in Galveston, but in Seattle last week they were checking times and making people wait in lines according to boarding time (outside).  The lines moved very fast and I assume people who were early were allowed in, in order, once previous lines cleared out.  I could imagine if a bunch of people showed up way early (like noon for a 3p call) it could be a lot more hectic for them, but they were purposefully keeping the building uncrowded.  They are obviously very serious about following pandemic protocols.

If you're only an hour early you may get through pretty quickly depending on how organized the previous times are going.  The worst case is you may wait for a while, but that's only an hour earlier than you call time so not really all that early.  Especially because even after leaving the parking place it's going to take you some time to get to the dock, check in your luggage (which you can do any time) and get to the lines so it may be close to 3p anyway.

Did something change? Everybody keeps calling them boarding times. I thought they were check in times. I know in the past I have had early check ins, but still had to wait a while to board. Maybe it’s different now with less capacity.

2 hours ago, Pineapple Princess said:

Checked in for Independence and only 3-3:30 boarding available.  Problem because last shuttle from parking facility is 2:00. Thoughts and experiences about arriving early in Galveston.  Thanks

On Oasis Sept. 5 sail, had 11:30-12 and arrived at 10:30 and was gladly waved into the check-in kiosk.

Edited by nelblu

Guest BigRoger

I believe it could be the mediaeval practice if being hung drawn and quartered…..suspect like most on CC it won’t put you off breaking the rules!

When we were boarding/checking in on Freedom 3 days ago someone ahead of us was told to wait until their time, but it seems to be different at other places. This was in Miami and it could also depend on the employee. They are trying to keep people spaced apart.

2 hours ago, BLiles1961 said:

Which parking facility? We will be at Lighthouse around noon for a 1PM check in.

EZ cruise.  Said they couldn't take anyone to Independence before noon and 2:00 was the last shuttle.  Don't think a 2 hour window would be enough time.  But maybe business is really slow.  Have used them in the past for Liberty and left as early as 11 am.  Thinking this may be their rule not Royal.  Are you happy with Lighthouse parking?  Going on Liberty in Oct. and may be looking for new parking options.

I haven't cruised in a few years, I know in the past if you wanted to show up at 10:30 or 11:00 you could, you may sit for a short while, have the rules changed for covid?  I don't want to get there early and sit for 3 hrs, etc...    ALSO, I have a junior suite and parts of my family have a regular balcony, will my time be different than theirs even if my reservations are "linked"  thanks - sorry so long

2 hours ago, crzndeb said:

Did something change? Everybody keeps calling them boarding times. I thought they were check in times. I know in the past I have had early check ins, but still had to wait a while to board. Maybe it’s different now with less capacity.

It's just semantics. It's technically "Arrival Time" on your set sail pass; but it's commonly referred to as either boarding time or check in time. All 3 mean the same thing, the time you start the process at the pier of checking in and getting on board.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hollon said:

I haven't cruised in a few years, I know in the past if you wanted to show up at 10:30 or 11:00 you could, you may sit for a short while, have the rules changed for covid?  I don't want to get there early and sit for 3 hrs, etc...    ALSO, I have a junior suite and parts of my family have a regular balcony, will my time be different than theirs even if my reservations are "linked"  thanks - sorry so long

To avoid having people fill up the terminal, the new rule is they are asking everyone to arrive no earlier than 30-minutes of the assigned check in time.   If your reservations are linked you can all show up at the same time (even if you get assigned different times when you do online check in).    

• Like 1

If check-in just opened up for your cruise, keep checking back every few days.  It took about two weeks for my Allure cruise and about three weeks for my Freedom cruise for them to open up earlier arrival times. 

Just go in to "edit your check-in" on the Cruise Planner and click on the little pencil icon by your SetSail Pass to make changes, then in the upper right corner will be a link to the Arrival page, and then click  Select a Different Time. 

If there isn't an earlier time yet, you can just close out of it and it will keep your current time.  Keep checking back. I checked in for my Freedom cruise about ten minutes after check-in opened at midnight, and 3pm was the only time they offered.  Now they have everything from noon on, in 30-minute increments.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, brillohead said:

If check-in just opened up for your cruise, keep checking back every few days.  It took about two weeks for my Allure cruise and about three weeks for my Freedom cruise for them to open up earlier arrival times. 

Just go in to "edit your check-in" on the Cruise Planner and click on the little pencil icon by your SetSail Pass to make changes, then in the upper right corner will be a link to the Arrival page, and then click  Select a Different Time. 

If there isn't an earlier time yet, you can just close out of it and it will keep your current time.  Keep checking back. I checked in for my Freedom cruise about ten minutes after check-in opened at midnight, and 3pm was the only time they offered.  Now they have everything from noon on, in 30-minute increments.

This.  On most cruises, once check-in opens up, the 3:00pm is a place holder time which shows as the only time for everyone.  Keep checking everyday as the earlier times will eventually be added.  There is no specific time when they will do it, it is random unfortunately.  One of my cruises was 67 days out and one was 43 days out.  I originally checked in with the same single placeholder 3pm time the second check-in time was opened up.  Then when the times were loaded in they ranged from as early as 12:00pm until 4pm I believe.  Just keep checking every day.

Edited by TheBucketLister
  • Like 4

38 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

To avoid having people fill up the terminal, the new rule is they are asking everyone to arrive no earlier than 30-minutes of the assigned check in time.   If your reservations are linked you can all show up at the same time (even if you get assigned different times when you do online check in).    

This...........

21 minutes ago, TheBucketLister said:

This.  On most cruises, once check-in opens up, the 3:00pm is a place holder time which shows as the only time for everyone.  Keep checking everyday as the earlier times will eventually be added.  There is no specific time when they will do it, it is random unfortunately.  

No, sailing this Sunday.  Booked last minute. Not likely to change.  Been watching this cruise for weeks but too concerned about tropical storms to book until yesterday.  Live about 2 hours from Port and weather looking better for next 10 days.  (Famous last words)  Keeping fingers crossed.  Thanks all.

I would think the penalty at most would be you having to stand there with a tiny frown watching all the other folks with smiles walk past you to check in 🙂 

but as as others have said, don’t worry about that now......keep checking back for earlier times....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Pineapple Princess said:

No, sailing this Sunday.  Booked last minute. 

With booking last minute, then that more than likely was the only time that was available.  But who knows, they may open something up until the day before, so keep checking.  But if you book prior to 90 days out, then what @brillohead and I mentioned would hold true. 🙂

1 hour ago, Pineapple Princess said:

Are you happy with Lighthouse parking?  Going on Liberty in Oct. and may be looking for new parking options.

We really are. The lot is elevated in case of flooding, and they have both covered and uncovered parking. I say covered, but it's really more like a metal roof over the rows. I think their prices are reasonable, and they've been great with communication when I had a couple of questions.

Have fun on your cruise!

5 hours ago, Pineapple Princess said:

Checked in for Independence and only 3-3:30 boarding available.  Problem because last shuttle from parking facility is 2:00. Thoughts and experiences about arriving early in Galveston.  Thanks

We sailed out of Galveston in August on the first sailing. I do believe the 3:30 is just a placeholder for those who sign up and once you do y our offical check in a couple of weeks prior other times may be open. With that said they were strick on the check in for our cruise. If you are early you had to wait outside the terminal before you could go in and start to finish the checkin. We had 11:30 and were in a hotel so we were able to time our arrival but there were people waiting outside and they were checking the documents to see your check in time. 

On 9/16/2021 at 4:35 PM, TheBucketLister said:

This.  On most cruises, once check-in opens up, the 3:00pm is a place holder time which shows as the only time for everyone.  Keep checking everyday as the earlier times will eventually be added.  

I just wanted to reiterate this. 

Keep checking.