Vaccine Exemption

MikeNKim

Good morning all

My hubby has a combo vaccine of Astra Zeneca and Pfizer.    Carnival says he has to apply for a vaccine exemption but I can’t seem to find how to apply.     I don’t want to book flights until I know he can cruise.

Thank you

kim

Depends where your sailing to and whether cruise is paid in full? But i believe to get the form you need to call Carnival.  Keep in mind the below information as well.  Not sure he will get an exemption if its because of combo vaccine.  I had Pfizer/Moderna combo and although it is accepted as fully vaccinated i got another Pfizer when Alberta offered boosters for those with mixed doses for travel purposes so now i have two Pfizer.

A request for a capacity-managed exemption must be submitted within 48 hours of making a new reservation. Requests will be processed after the booking is paid in full, in sailing date order, and once we have finalized the estimated vaccinated guest count.

Carribean: 

Consequently, vaccine exemptions for cruises to the Caribbean will be limited to a very small number of children under 12, and teens and adults with a medical condition who can provide written confirmation from their medical provider that they cannot be vaccinated for medical reasons. Our sailings from Florida, Texas, Louisiana, and Maryland will operate under these criteria until December 31, 2021 with the assumption that current and evolving restrictions imposed by destinations will remain in place. Unfortunately, all other vaccine exemptions previously granted for upcoming sailings cannot be fulfilled due to these new limitations. 

Long Beach:

Vaccine exemptions for ships departing from Long Beach, California will be accepted for children under 12 and as required by U.S. federal law (in accommodation of medical reasons and sincerely held religious beliefs).

Others:

* On Carnival Pride® October 31, 2021 from Baltimore; Carnival Glory® November 28, 2021 from New Orleans; and Carnival Miracle® November 28, 2021 from Long Beach, vaccine exemptions will only be accommodated as required by law.

Thank you!   I will give them a call.   Yes I want to make sure they accept him before I book flights.    I know a lot can change but want to cover my bases.  We might actually have to change cruise lines.    Both NCL and Royal will accept him.

They aren’t offering the additional shot for travel purposes here in Ontario, at least not at this time.

Thank you for the info.   

• Like 1

I cancelled a December cruise because I also have a mixed vaccine (AZ and Pfizer).

Remember that for east coast departures they are only allowing unvaccinated for under 12 (Bahamas rules).

I don't want to sound very negative but I'm not sure that adults are getting exemptions. It sounds like they are limiting it to those under 12 or those with medical reasons.

With that said it would be awesome if he got an exemption - it gives hope for us Canadians with Az/Pfizer or Moderna who are stuck at the moment.

• Like 1

Please note, it is not Carnival that is making this restriction. It's the CDC, which has rules all lines must follow.

At this time it's the CDC that does not accept a combination of AZ and Pfizer/Moderna as fully vaccinated. I'm surprised the other cruise lines are accepting this combo.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MikeNKim said:

Good morning all

My hubby has a combo vaccine of Astra Zeneca and Pfizer.    Carnival says he has to apply for a vaccine exemption but I can’t seem to find how to apply.     I don’t want to book flights until I know he can cruise.

Thank you

kim

Here is the form: Carnival.com/vaccine-exemption-submission

I thought they were stopping almost all unvaxxed for 12 and older regardless of reason. Many ports are not allowing it and denying ships with Bahamas being the most impactful. As another poster stated they canceled because of it. In my cruise's group some of the people have received exemptions for kids, others have not heard back yet, and the over 12+ haven't heard anything yet. I think a lot of families that have an unvaxxed 12+ are going to get extremely upset in the next couple of weeks are restrictions tighten even more. I suspect cases where people were given exemptions are then sent a denial because of changing protocols in the Caribbean.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

Please note, it is not Carnival that is making this restriction. It's the CDC, which has rules all lines must follow.

At this time it's the CDC that does not accept a combination of AZ and Pfizer/Moderna as fully vaccinated. I'm surprised the other cruise lines are accepting this combo.

No cruise line cruising out of the U.S. is allowing a Astra Zeneca and Pfizer/Moderna mix.

They are allowing it out of U.K. ports though.

15 minutes ago, BoozinCroozin said:

I thought they were stopping almost all unvaxxed for 12 and older regardless of reason. Many ports are not allowing it and denying ships with Bahamas being the most impactful. As another poster stated they canceled because of it. In my cruise's group some of the people have received exemptions for kids, others have not heard back yet, and the over 12+ haven't heard anything yet. I think a lot of families that have an unvaxxed 12+ are going to get extremely upset in the next couple of weeks are restrictions tighten even more. I suspect cases where people were given exemptions are then sent a denial because of changing protocols in the Caribbean.

Exactly.

The CDC does not care that Canadians who are considered fully vaccinated in Canada are not considered fully vaccinated in the states (and other Caribbean countries).

So the OP's husband is lumped together with all the over 12 year olds who are not vaccinated.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

Technically, Carnival and the other cruise lines don't have to follow the CDC Guidance in Florida. It's just a recommendation. But they generally are choosing to follow it to stay on the CDC's good side. 

"(A)s of July 23, 2021, the CSO and accompanying measures, such as technical instructions, are nonbinding recommendations for cruise ships arriving in, located within, or departing from a port in Florida"

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MikeNKim said:

Good morning all

Thank you

kim

I would just get another shot of one of the vaccines.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, MikeNKim said:

Thank you!   I will give them a call.   Yes I want to make sure they accept him before I book flights.    I know a lot can change but want to cover my bases.  We might actually have to change cruise lines.    Both NCL and Royal will accept him.

They aren’t offering the additional shot for travel purposes here in Ontario, at least not at this time.

Thank you for the info.   

Nope you won’t be sailing out of the us on any ship with that combo.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MikeNKim said:

Good morning all

Thank you

kim

One more thing. There is a Canadian section of this website now. Come on over. There are a lot of unique Canadian issues with cruising right now. The AZ/Pfizer mix has been discussed a lot.

6 hours ago, Earthworm Jim said:

Technically, Carnival and the other cruise lines don't have to follow the CDC Guidance in Florida. It's just a recommendation. But they generally are choosing to follow it to stay on the CDC's good side. 

"(A)s of July 23, 2021, the CSO and accompanying measures, such as technical instructions, are nonbinding recommendations for cruise ships arriving in, located within, or departing from a port in Florida"

It has flip flopped before, it could do it again. AFAIK, the lawsuit is still irrelevant and still in a holding pattern.

Nov 1 is coming up fast and the CDC could issue a new directive 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

It has flip flopped before, it could do it again. AFAIK, the lawsuit is still irrelevant and still in a holding pattern.

Nov 1 is coming up fast and the CDC could issue a new directive 

Regarding the lawsuit---Isn't it ironic that that judge ruled that the CDC requirements were arbitrary and not justified and were hurting Florida's economy, but the cruise lines are still following them as recommendations now that they are not requirements? And why if they hurt Florida's economy so much as to require that lawsuit is the Florida governor not speaking out against the cruise lines for still following them when the lawsuit stopped them from being requirements?

38 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Regarding the lawsuit---Isn't it ironic that that judge ruled that the CDC requirements were arbitrary and not justified and were hurting Florida's economy, but the cruise lines are still following them as recommendations now that they are not requirements? And why if they hurt Florida's economy so much as to require that lawsuit is the Florida governor not speaking out against the cruise lines for still following them when the lawsuit stopped them from being requirements?

Not as ironic as you think. The CDC still wields a lot of power. They could make it mandatory for the cruise lines to report the covid status of 100% of the people onboard before entering US water line. The ycould block the cruise ships from returning until no covid cases onboard. They could require quarantining the entire ship until everyone is tested onboard at the port until negative tests comeback. 

Cruise lines are a little smarter to follow the CDC than to directly defy them. They could make it painful for the cruise lines where they would choose not to sail. Right now, they are playing well together, managing risk, taking proper precautions, and sailing. Just let it continue until things change.

12 hours ago, Purvis1231 said:

I understand that but I doubt a mixed vaccine person will be sailing this year on Carnival. 

Pfizer/Moderna is an acceptable mixed vaccine dose and I was scheduled to sail in November until the cruise was cancelled by carnival.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kdr69 said:

Pfizer/Moderna is an acceptable mixed vaccine dose and I was scheduled to sail in November until the cruise was cancelled by carnival.

Right both are USA approved and the Astra Zeneca vaccine is not used in the USA. Mixing a vaccine with Astra Zeneca is considered unvaccinedated in the USA. (personally I this is wrong.)

Edited by Purvis1231
typo
  • Like 2