The Daily for Sunday September 19, 2021

richwmn

19 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

On August 11, 2016;, the day between our calls at Longyearbyen and Nu Alesund, Captain Tim Roberts took the Prinsendam as close to the polar ice cap as he could safely steer the ship. 

The previous few days, the wind was blowing the ice floes toward the ice cap, and he thought we would be able to get very close.  Unfortunately, overnight the wind changed directions and was blowing the floes away from the ice cap.  

We could only get as close as about five miles, but we could see the edge of the ice cap from the upper decks.  We were still about 500 miles or so from the North Pole.

The polar ice cap with the ice floes in front

DSC05843.thumb.JPG.9f2263787c09f0a39b781b26d9f40aef.JPG

DSC05850.thumb.JPG.690525ab3149ad3221670902309935c1.JPG

Later they lowered a tender so the photographers could take pictures of the ship, and bring back a chunk of ice.  This pictures give a better idea how far from the ice cap we were.

DSC05866.thumb.JPG.59d21ffa939b52122fcf33ad0106ae72.JPG

A group of walrus relaxing as we cruised toward the ice cap.

DSC05833.thumb.JPG.bd4b39074f8b7ec6dbea611ec8cf6119.JPG

Seals resting on an ice floe

DSC05859.thumb.JPG.4d2fcb43eb5625f1a99e323743070abc.JPG

Evidently, we had a couple of stowaways that day.  I guess they were trying to get warm.

DSC05832.thumb.JPG.e8c3766f80b523f64784a4ae82669a74.JPG

The ice chunk

DSC05874.thumb.JPG.e7a8e68fbf4f2e800a478383e37f8299.JPG

This was about as far north as we could sail

DSC05864.thumb.JPG.190ca2aefcbf127a94431b8579282cfb.JPG

Lenda

Sounds like an exciting cruise Lenda!  I would have loved it.  And doesn't it remind you when on Deadliest Catch where the crab fishing boats are getting very close to the Russia/U.S. "boundary"?  They are often running into ice floes like that.  I can't believe I've watched that program so many years, because I don't even eat crab!  

I was so excited when I spotted Time Bandit in Homer while there in 2019!  Silly!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKAwNtJUjbK7fXHQmLSf7F9?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1568232319

• Like 16

10 minutes ago, kazu said:

OMG you and I are in the same “boat”.  I lost 5 pounds on both a Celebrity and Princess cruise.  And yes, the food was unappetizing.  If I don’t like food, I don’t eat it.  By the time the waiters were back to see if we like the food the entire table was done so there was no way I would ask for anything else.

Quite a while ago but I didn’t need to lose any weight when I got back 😉   I usually don’t put on much over a pound on longer cruises as you know there’s a chance to have “more” or an “alternate choice” another night.

I admittedly pig out on the escargots 😉 

I don't eat the escargots but DH loves them.  I might put on a pound or so but we walk up and down stairs all day long, and walk miles in ports, so that really helps.

On the Celebrity cruise our 4 tablemates were frequent Celebrity cruisers and they were disgusted with the food as well.  Sent it back most nights!

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Sounds like an exciting cruise Lenda!  I would have loved it.  And doesn't it remind you when on Deadliest Catch where the crab fishing boats are getting very close to the Russia/U.S. "boundary"?  They are often running into ice floes like that.  I can't believe I've watched that program so many years, because I don't even eat crab!  

I was so excited when I spotted Time Bandit in Homer while there in 2019!  Silly!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKAwNtJUjbK7fXHQmLSf7F9?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1568232319

Sandi, we've watched that show for years too.  Over the years of doing the 14-day Alaska cruise we've seen several of the boats in Homer and Kodiak.

Next time you're in Ketchikan, you can do the crab tour on the Aleutian Ballad which was featured in season 2.  It was the boat that rolled over and then righted itself.  We did the tour and really enjoyed it.

Lenda

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

@StLouisCruisers,I am also a "Deadliest Catch" fan and love the show.Thanks for your words if support and don't  worry about the spelling of my name!

@grapau27,the video was so nice and I admit to envy.Thank you for your kind words. 

@Quartzsite Cruiser,the hardest part of the encounter with the not  nice person was seeing Tana so upset and angry.She told me today that I was her "momma bear".

Terry

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

@StLouisCruisers,I am also a "Deadliest Catch" fan and love the show.Thanks for your words if support and don't  worry about the spelling of my name!

@grapau27,the video was so nice and I admit to envy.Thank you for your kind words. 

@Quartzsite Cruiser,the hardest part of the encounter with the not  nice person was seeing Tana so upset and angry.She told me today that I was her "momma bear".

Terry

Terry, you are more than Tana's "mama bear".  With how much you care for her, which shows in your posts, you are her mama in all the ways that matter.  You are both fortunate to have each other in your lives.

Lenda

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Terry

Thank you Terry.

I am saddened to hear how that ordeal affected Tana.

Best regards.

Graham.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Just dropping in to thank you all for your prayers and good wishes for my friend battling cancer. They are working! Her oncologist told Cyn last week that the levels of the cancer causing “element” have dropped from 180 after surgery, down to 59 - after just three treatments!

If the drop continues, she may only need 8 chemo treatments instead of 12 - meaning she might be half way through the course of treatments. They will do another test this Thursday. 

We both shared some happy tears today.  Thank you all again for caring!

• Like 25

3 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Just dropping in to thank you all for your prayers and good wishes for my friend battling cancer. They are working! Her oncologist told Cyn last week that the levels of the cancer causing “element” have dropped from 180 after surgery, down to 59 - after just three treatments!

If the drop continues, she may only need 8 chemo treatments instead of 12 - meaning she might be half way through the course of treatments. They will do another test this Thursday. 

That is terrific news! Prayers to continue. Thank you for the update.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, garlictown said:

👍Thank you for The Daily, Rich @richwmn and to Roy @rafinmd for the Care and Celebration Lists. Additionally, safe travels back home to you, Roy.🚗

❤ Congratulations on your Anniversary @mamaofami!

We also Pay it Forward when we're at a Starbucks drive through.

Glad to hear @atexsix is at home recovering.

😊Great photos of Longyearbyen... maybe on the Bucket List?.. (the farthest we were was The North Cape)🚢

In the past, we'd dress up for Talk Like a Pirate Day before our water aerobics class, lol. 😉

🙏Prayers to all in need.🙏

Katie

FB_IMG_1631975691476.jpg

20210919_065122.jpg

20210919_064240.jpg

3623339_0.png

I love this t shirt.

Jane

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Sunday Daily, Rich.  I think I'll pass on all of today's days and the Tofu.  I love the Lao Tzu quote and enjoyed Longyearbyen on my first Prinsendam voyage in 2011, but will leave photos for others so I can get on the road.

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
Western wildfires
cat shepard’s friend undergoing chemo for stage four cancer
StLouisSal’s friend
Lady Hudson’s BIL awaiting rehab
smitty34876 due for a good day
Seasick Sailor fighting ecoli
Mrs Vmax recovering from infusion
Sam in rehab an hour away from home
From the rotation:
Krazy Kruizer DH Joe
Me awaiting PET test results

Celebrations and Shoutouts

2 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
HAL4NOWat sea
Overhead Fred at the Cottage and negative
Getaway for segarsmoker
lindaler visiting Alabama son
Icand9223 away on river cruise
Irishjim back home recovering
Bruno back home with a diagnosis and treatment plan
SusieKislandGirl in Colorado with grandsons
Happy Anniversary Carol and Sam
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 1

Good afternoon all!
I am very late today! Busy doing the last minute things before we leave early Tuesday morning for Greece.  Not looking forward to that flight, but we'll have 2 nights in Athens to get over the jet lag before we board the Eurodam.  Cannot wait, I don't think I've slept in a week!  Our flights keep changing, and we keep scurrying to change things.  You know that saying "Getting old isn't for sissies"? I think you could substitute "traveling" for "getting old".  😉

@mamaofamiHappy Anniversary!  

@rafinmdso glad you made it home safely.

@smitty34877oh my gosh, I'm not sure how I would have handled being harassed by that person.  I'm so sorry you and Tana had to go through that.

@cat shepard how wonderful about your friend!  After only 3 treatments, that's just wonderful.

@HAL4NOWthank you for the beautiful sunrise photo from the NA.  How did you do with boarding time, did it change again?  Ours now is 20 minutes later than it was, will see if there will be another change before we board in 5 days.  

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, cat shepard said:

This is thrilling news!  I don't blame you two for sharing those happy tears.💕

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

@HAL4NOWthank you for the beautiful sunrise photo from the NA.  How did you do with boarding time, did it change again?  Ours now is 20 minutes later than it was, will see if there will be another change before we board in 5 days.  

Our boarding time on the boarding pass remained at 1:20. We miss-judged Seattle traffic and arrived to Pier 91 parking at about noon. We were ready to be sent away until boarding time, but they kept waving us through. We made it on the ship early enough to enjoy MDR lunch. I tried the Pannenkoek and loved it.  The description for this meal is: apple and bacon Dutch pancake, powdered sugar, Dutch stroop.

Flowers arrived in our room today:

2032131031_NAroomflowers.thumb.JPG.8fce53311c1eedcadb583ebd6bb7a9bd.JPG

I have only seen one flower arrangement out in the hallways:

79232514_NAhallflowers.thumb.JPG.1faa4efade362486cc27561c2bd65a77.JPG

Sitting by the Dive-In for lunch today was like being at a good fireworks show. Every time the pool water splashed about ten feet into the air after swirling around from the rolling sea, you would hear a crowd response (OOH, AWWW!).

1446209726_Dive-InDog.thumb.JPG.165ab69cf0a2b07b181043225df23c6a.JPG

Walking laps on the promenade deck is fun when you don't know if the deck will be high or low for each step. It was still worth the effort to see so much beauty, including a rainbow: 

168689981_NArainbow.thumb.JPG.a571392046105190e6497f88445537d0.JPG

Edited by HAL4NOW
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 3

27 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Good afternoon all!
I am very late today! Busy doing the last minute things before we leave early Tuesday morning for Greece.  Not looking forward to that flight, but we'll have 2 nights in Athens to get over the jet lag before we board the Eurodam.  Cannot wait, I don't think I've slept in a week! 

I can identify with not sleeping before a cruise; I start losing sleep incrementally about 2 weeks prior to leaving home.  As soon as I get on that first aircraft, I relax, close my eyes and drift off, not caring that my purring (apparently I purr loudly in my sleep) might scare even the pilot, because I'm officially on vacation!

Have a wonderful trip!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, cat shepard said:

Ann, thank you for sharing such great news.  I know you both are happy.  Good thoughts for continued good results from the test Thursday.

Lenda

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, HAL4NOW said:

Our boarding time on the boarding pass remained at 1:20. We miss-judged Seattle traffic and arrived to Pier 91 parking at about noon. We were ready to be sent away until boarding time, but they kept waving us through. We made it on the ship early enough to enjoy MDR lunch

Wonderful!  I've heard other reports of being waved through.  I'm not going to count on it, but I would sure not turn it down. 😉  

• Like 8

26 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

I can identify with not sleeping before a cruise; I start losing sleep incrementally about 2 weeks prior to leaving home.  As soon as I get on that first aircraft, I relax, close my eyes and drift off, not caring that my purring (apparently I purr loudly in my sleep) might scare even the pilot, because I'm officially on vacation!

Have a wonderful trip!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Thank you Gerry. I don't sleep well anyway, but before a cruise is nearly impossible!  For me it will take being rocked to sleep on that BHB -- works every time. 🙂  

• Like 10

2 hours ago, cat shepard said:

They are working! Her oncologist told Cyn last week that the levels of the cancer causing “element” have dropped from 180 after surgery, down to 59 - after just three treatments!

I am SO happy to hear this 🙂. What a blessing.  My prayers that the progress continues.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

Good afternoon all!
I am very late today! Busy doing the last minute things before we leave early Tuesday morning for Greece.  Not looking forward to that flight, but we'll have 2 nights in Athens to get over the jet lag before we board the Eurodam.  Cannot wait, I don't think I've slept in a week!  Our flights keep changing, and we keep scurrying to change things.  You know that saying "Getting old isn't for sissies"? I think you could substitute "traveling" for "getting old".  

OMG on the flight changes.  I’ve been down that road and the worry that the flight doesn’t go because of strikes.

I hope things smooth out for you and so happy you get to go.  Enjoy every second of that cruise 🙂 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cat shepard said:

That  is  great news. She  is  still  in  my  prayers  each  night.

Jim.

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

This is thrilling news!  I don't blame you two for sharing those happy tears.💕

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1