The Daily for Sunday September 19, 2021

richwmn

Today is International Talk Like A Pirate Day, National Butterscotch Pudding Day, and National Dance Day

Do the difficult things while they are easy and do the great things while they are small. A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step. Lao Tzu

Meal suggestion for today - Tofu-Vegetable Stir-Fry

Drink of the Day - Lorraine

Wine of the day - Zuccardi 2018 Poligonos del Valle de Uco San Pablo Cabernet Franc (Uco Valley) Mendoza Province

Destination of the Day - Longyearbyen Norway

Ships with Passengers

At Sea Pacific
Nieuw Amsterdam Destination Juneau

Rhodes Island, Greece
Eurodam 08:00 - 24:00

Ships without Passengers

At Sea Caribbean
Nieuw Statendam Destination Freeport BS

At Sea Pacific
Westerdam Destination Los Angeles eta 9/19

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

Ensenada MX
Noordam Anchorage
Zuiderdam

Long Beach
Koningsdam Anchorage

Scheveningen NL
Oosterdam Anchorage
Rotterdam Anchorage

0919Europe.thumb.png.a7dae93a3c97fba6d0a03aaba7eb7c02.png

0919NAmerica.thumb.png.703b94a2b1bfe3f04de51ebe28f06d99.png

• Like 34
  • Thanks 8

Arrr.  Thanks for the Daily Report matey.  (that's my attempt at "talking like a pirate" 😁)

I hope cruise critic co-operates and lets  me post.  I've logged out and logged back in.🤞

Butterscotch pudding sounds delicious.  And I'll dance with my sweetie around the kitchen later.

I agree, the whole quote is better than just the last line.

The meal sounds interesting, I usually do a stir fry with chicken, but a change might be good.

Never heard of the drink of the day, looking forward to seeing the recipe.  I bet the wine is good.

Another port that I have never visited.  Thanks in advance to all those who will post pictures.

Prayers for everyone.

Have a wonderful Sunday.  Stay safe.

• Like 24

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Great combo of days, matey!

Last night’s bread was a winner. The recipe called for making just one loaf in a 9” pan. Perfect. Though the recipe suggests using a “pain de mie” pan, I simply covered it with lightly greased aluminum foil. I did tweak it a bit based on the ingredients I wanted to use up, but the texture, taste and smell were so much better than the last ones I made. We all ate it plain - no  butter, jam, etc…

40122FAF-82C2-43F6-8C76-5BA5F92159E3.thumb.jpeg.fc9eb2e045e3bb41d136e0e041006dbb.jpeg

Here are the changes I made: I used dark rye flour, so I could use what I had on hand. And I replaced the honey with the Golden syrup that I wanted to use up .  Can not wait to try this with the honey. But this is the bread I so enjoyed in Iceland! And so easy to make. No yeast. No kneading needed. And it went well with the salad and salmon we had for dinner. 

Off to the gym. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Zuccardi 2018 Poligonos del Valle de Uco San Pablo Cabernet Franc (Uco Valley) Mendoza Province

Definitely look for the 2018 vintage, since it has the best ratings of the released vintages. A decent price online - starting at $29.99. This is another one that I would love to try. 

Winemaker Notes

#58 Wine Enthusiast Top 100 of 2020

Polígonos of the Uco Valley is a selection that expresses the particular characteristics of different terroirs within the Valley. Red color with violet hues. Expresses a great herbal character with notes of fresh red fruits. Lively acidity and subtlety of tannins in the mouth.

RP93 Robert Parker's Wine Advocate:  the fifth wine in the red Polígnos range: the 2018 Polígonos Paraje Altamira Cabernet Franc. It fermented in concrete and matured in oak foudre, as they feel the variety behaves better in oak that is neutral and doesn't mark the wine aromatically. I tasted this next to the one from San Pablo, and this one feels a little wider within the austere and pure style of the whole range. It's varietal, peppery and herbal, spicy, but also perfumed and refined. The tannins are fine and chalky, and the finish is long and clean.

WE93 Wine Enthusiast: This racy Cabernet Franc from winemaker Sebastián Zuccardi is made entirely in concrete. Plum and berry tones are full and fresh on the nose and palate, while flavors of black fruit, herbs, tea and tomato linger on the smooth finish. Editor's Choice

JS92 James Suckling: This is a bright and vivid red with blueberries, fresh flowers and hints of fresh herbs, such as basil. Medium-bodied, refined and easy with lovely fruit and crispness.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 6

Thank you for the Sunday Daily, Rich.  I think I'll pass on all of today's days and the Tofu.  I love the Lao Tzu quote and enjoyed Longyearbyen on my first Prinsendam voyage in 2011, but will leave photos for others so I can get on the road.

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
Western wildfires
cat shepard’s friend undergoing chemo for stage four cancer
StLouisSal’s friend
Lady Hudson’s BIL awaiting rehab
smitty34876 due for a good day
Seasick Sailor fighting ecoli
Mrs Vmax recovering from infusion
Sam in rehab an hour away from home
From the rotation:
Krazy Kruizer DH Joe
Me awaiting PET test results

Celebrations and Shoutouts

2 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
HAL4NOWat sea
Overhead Fred at the Cottage and negative
Getaway for segarsmoker
lindaler visiting Alabama son
Icand9223 away on river cruise
Irishjim back home recovering
Bruno back home with a diagnosis and treatment plan
SusieKislandGirl in Colorado with grandsons
Happy Anniversary Carol and Sam
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 26
  • Thanks 8

Good morning, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

I love butterscotch, in fact, I was going through my recipes a couple of days ago and a gingerbread cookie recipe I used to make with my children uses butterscotch pudding mix.

Wish I was dancing with my husband on a cruise today. Maybe we'll watch a pirate movie.

Great quote.

Stir fry is on the menu this week, but with shrimp.

Thanks in advance for pictures of the port. 🙂

@rafinmdsafe travels home today.

@mamaofamihappy anniversary to you and Sam.

@grapau27thank you for sharing your cruise with us via pictures.

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 3

Today's alternate menu suggestion is a bit of a transition.  It was taken on the Crystal Serenity Northwest Passage trip, but before Serenity while I was on the Alaska Ferry Kennicott in Alaska which I consider HAL territory.  My next few choices will be from the train on the way to my 2017 Amsterdam Grand Asia cruise.  Today's  photo is from Yakatat, taken at Fat Grammas, a coffee and convenience store.  My suggestion is Chocolate and Coffee"

grammas3.jpg

Roy

• Like 30
  • Haha 2

Good Sunday morning.  Interesting group of days.  I used to love Talk like a Pirate day when I was teaching.  My little ones were so cute.  It's a cooler sunny morning with rain due soon.  Going on a walk this morning.

Prayers and toasts to all of us.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Lorraine:

1 3/4 oz Kirschwasser® cherry brandy
1/2 oz benedictine herbal liqueur
3/4 oz lime juice

Pour the Kirschwasser, benedictine and lime juice into a cocktail shaker half-filled with ice cubes. Shake well, strain into a cocktail glass, and serve.

Screen Shot 2021-09-19 at 7.41.33 AM.png

• Like 24
  • Thanks 6

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our Sunday smile 🙂 

Great combination of days.  Yum on butterscotch and dancing is always a joy 🙂 

Love that quote by Tzu - so true and worth remembering 🤙

Our meal suggestion for the day - Tofu-Vegetable Stir Fry  -  Here’s a meal for all the vegetarians out there.  I like the recipes sans tofu and with something else.

I am admittedly not a tofu fan but these two versions sound interesting.  The first one is very specific on the type of tofu to use.

https://www.wellplated.com/tofu-stir-fry/

E117E78F-4142-47A5-818E-C64385D85540.thumb.jpeg.12fd716edeac501c7f96b1b9b1190a70.jpeg

https://minimalistbaker.com/tofu-that-tastes-good-stir-fry/

48AD3496-CB2C-4168-8E89-E98C84FB7F51.thumb.jpeg.ce226f305371bae4f63ee6064ee5fc97.jpeg

Our roll call has me dreaming of returning to Europe and I remember the first time I heard the expression “pending”.  Saw this the other day and though I would share it as it’s such a lovely idea and yes, it really does happen.

3C712242-71BA-4402-A0B6-E3679B87B028.jpeg.bc0d22574146027869a7c0f4083c002c.jpeg

Looks to be a decent day so hopefully I can get a bit of garden clean up done and fill those compost bins to the brim for compost day pick up.  My neighbour never composts so she kindly lends me hers since one will never do the trick for me in the spring or fall.

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and a 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Sunday everyone!!!!!!

39A8BDC4-7B01-412B-BE0D-D208EDECB49D.jpeg.d329809daeaf8f14d3af5865d4d3ddfb.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your masks.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 6

Ahoy maties!  I love butterscotch pudding, dancing is fun and great exercise.  The quote is great practical advice that we all can benefit from at times.  We had vegetable stir fry last Wednesday so I’ll pass today.  Haven’t been to today’s port and look forward to seeing the photos.  Prayers to all who need them and cheers to everyone celebrating a happy event today.  The day is supposed to become nicer as it progresses so I plan to enjoy it.

• Like 22

Good Sunday morning!  It's a grey day so far which makes it harder to get up and get moving.  If you have sunshine today, enjoy it.  Great quote today, and some nice special days to celebrate.  Butterscotch pudding was my late Dad's favorite and my late Mother's name was Lorraine (drink of the day) so Rich's post made me think of my parents this morning.  To all pirates and dancers, have a wonderful time celebrating and enjoying your "days" today.  Thanks @richwmnfor your dedication to posting this Daily every day.

@Seasick SailorI hope you are doing better by now with your latest antibiotic, Joy.  If you feel up to it come and let us know.  @smitty34877 Terri, we wish you a better day today and hope Tana is doing okay too.  For all others on the Care list we pray every one of you shows improvement soon.

We have a nice long Celebration list to cheer for.  So glad to hear @atexsixBruno is home from the hospital and we hope recovering well from his latest health scare.  Happy anniversary today @mamaofamiCarol and Sam!  Have a great day together!

We went to Longyearbyen in 2013 on Crown Princess with friends.  That was our one visit there so far.  You never know about the future.  I'll post a couple of pictures next.  

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 24

Thank you for today's daily and care reports.

It is 66°F and partly cloudy here.

Good selection of days.

Great quote.

I will pass on the food and drink and have not been to today's port so I am I looking forward to seeing photos.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone on the care list.

Take care.

Graham.

• Like 23

13 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

So happy to be celebrating 62 years of marriage today after a rough 3 months

Congratulations on this wonderful milestone, especially after the recent trying times. 62 years! You must have been babies when you got married. 😉💐

St Louis Sal

• Like 19

@kazu regarding Pending Coffee.  We do something similar around here at the local Tim Hortons.  You pay for the person behind you in the drive thru line. 

At another local coffee shop (non chain) a customer recently came in and gave the cashier $20 and told her the next 10 coffees were on him.  A nice surprise for the early morning crowd.

The Pending Coffee idea is great.  Thanks for sharing.

• Like 21