Am I the only one that doesn't care about WiFi?

2chiefs

I’m torn about wifi. I might just pay for it on the first couple nights. I’m torn. I do usually have my phone on me because of ship messenger and cruise planning. I was going to leave internet but I might get it if there’s a Black Friday sale so that I can at least go on and read news before bed and stream music on my Bluetooth by the hot tub. 

9 hours ago, crusinthrough said:

Can someone explain the joys of locking a phone in a safe on a cruise like it's the 90s???  When did not carrying a cell phone and enjoying a cruise become mutually inclusive?  

It's 2021.  Technology is a part of life and cell phone apps are becoming more necessary for common things.  Society is not going backward to the point where you don't need some sort of wifi or data to accomplish tasks.  

I'm actually wondering when RC will step up their technology and have more app integration on ships like Celebrity's E-Class and Princess.  

I would love to be able to order drinks or food on a App and have it delivered to where I'm sitting. The few things that Royal has on their App like booking reservations for shows is a great. You don't even need to pay for the Key to use that function.  Even my local bagel shop uses text messaging to place an order for pick up. No waiting on hold on the phone and they get the order correct because it's in writing and the order is ready when you arrive. Those who lock up their phone are the ones who use it to actually talk on the phone which is the least of it's functions for me.  These people must be so important that they actually think that they may receive a call while on vacation. 

When we were still working, having NO wifi was the best part of cruising. That was the ONLY TIME my husband could really get away from the job. We turned everything off and forgot about it. Since we've retired the internet has just become a form of entertainment. We've slowly added wifi time and now buy time for both of us. 

We never have paid for wifi while cruising. I'm a reader and love, most of all, gazing at the ocean. My dh is a "people person" and winds up in conversations everywhere on the ship. I guess it depends on how people most enjoy themselves. Also, we're tekkie "dinosaurs." 😊

I cruise in Europe. In most countries I have data access (free in EU) on my phone when we are close to the shore. In September on a cruise in the Baltic sea that was most of the time. 

No need to buy wifi - I can check up on family and mails once every day or every other day. 

1 hour ago, craig01020 said:

Using a public wi-fi network for online banking is asking for trouble.

If your bank is using such weak encryption within the HTTPS protocol you've got bigger issues you need to worry about.

Email over public WiFi is a much larger concern depending on your email provider.

5 hours ago, craig01020 said:

Using a public wi-fi network for online banking is asking for trouble.

If using a modern phone, be sure to enable VPM in settings... then you can bank securely...  

Reference:
https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/virtual-private-network-vpn-apps-mobile-devices

So if you’re using a VPN app on an unsecured public Wi-Fi network at your local coffee shop, anyone trying to snoop on what you’re doing online will only see gibberish — even if you’re visiting an unencrypted website.

1 hour ago, Tree_skier said:

For you it probably would. I'm not ignorant about network security. issues.  I think I'll be ok. 

1 hour ago, craig01020 said:

Nope, because I'm not dumb enough to try it.

27 minutes ago, Crapster said:

If using a modern phone, be sure to enable VPM in settings... then you can bank securely...  

Reference:
https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/virtual-private-network-vpn-apps-mobile-devices

So if you’re using a VPN app on an unsecured public Wi-Fi network at your local coffee shop, anyone trying to snoop on what you’re doing online will only see gibberish — even if you’re visiting an unencrypted website.

Thanks everyone.

The @Tree_skier and @craig01020 spat was highly entertaining and @Crapster reminded me to put my VPN on my new iPhone.  I forgot to do this when I was setting the phone up on the weekend.

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Haha 1

On 9/19/2021 at 9:13 AM, 2chiefs said:

I thought might be a fun thread to hear from others how they feel about wifi and how they use it on the ship.

We use our iPad connected to the TV through a HDMI converter to stream movies and to watch our favorite live programs. 

4 hours ago, orville99 said:

We use our iPad connected to the TV through a HDMI converter to stream movies and to watch our favorite live programs. 

Were you able to change "Inputs" on the remote or tune to a specific channel for the HDMI feed? 

I exhausted my attempts to get this to work on my last Liberty of the Seas trip as it appears both input and channels were locked. Any guidance to making this work would be greatly appreciated by my aging eyes. 

19 hours ago, Crapster said:

Were you able to change "Inputs" on the remote or tune to a specific channel for the HDMI feed? 

I exhausted my attempts to get this to work on my last Liberty of the Seas trip as it appears both input and channels were locked. Any guidance to making this work would be greatly appreciated by my aging eyes. 

We purchased an inexpensive GE Universal Remote, an Apple lightning to HDMI converter, and an HDMI cable from Amazon. The remote allows us to change the inputs on both Harmony and Allure to the HDMI port where we plugged in our HDMI cable and Apple converter(haven't sailed on a Freedom or Voyager class ship in a while so I don't have any experience with those TVs).

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG