Am I the only one that doesn't care about WiFi?

2chiefs

3 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I can't even get my adult children to empty the kitchen trash

My wife had surgery last week and is on home rehab .My daughter who lives in LI comes here every day to clean our house,do laundry and prepare meals.

My daughter who lives in Manhattan but works in LI comes here every day after work to help out.

2 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

My wife and I had Flip phones until 3 years ago .Our children bought us Smart phones .The only time we use our phones is to make and receive calls and texts and an occasional Face Time that we initiate.

My father was texting with an flip phone for years. I don't know how he had the patients. I never did and went with a phone with a qwerty keyboard when they first came out. My kids have helped me and my parents to keep up with technology as well. I understand some don't have that support system to push them.  Nobody wants to sit on the phone for hours and talk anymore especially they younger generation.   Technology enables short communication including pictures more often than the dreaded occasional phone call.  My aunt and uncle who live in Florida and are unable to visit their grandchildren and great grandchildren here in NY, enjoy the pictures and videos they receive.

9 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

My wife had surgery last week and is on home rehab .My daughter who lives in LI comes here every day to clean our house,do laundry and prepare meals.

My daughter who lives in Manhattan but works in LI comes here every day after work to help out.

That's the difference between sons and daughters. 

2 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

My father was texting with an flip phone for years. I don't know how he had the patients. I never did and went with a phone with a qwerty keyboard when they first came out. My kids have helped me and my parents to keep up with technology as well. I understand some don't have that support system to push them.  Nobody wants to sit on the phone for hours and talk anymore especially they younger generation.   Technology enables short communication including pictures more often than the dreaded occasional phone call.  My aunt and uncle who live in Florida and are unable to visit their grandchildren and great grandchildren here in NY, enjoy the pictures and videos they receive.

We have 5 landline phones.One attached to a kitchen wall and one sitting on a night table.My late mother in law had a rotary phone until 2015.

I worked until 2004.In 1998 all typewriters were replaced by computers except for me.

On 9/22/2021 at 10:34 AM, Tree_skier said:

I think that it is hilarious when I read posts from Luddites who act virtuous because they don't use their phone or iPad or computer while on a cruise.  The pejorative comments about spending half your time glued to your phone just make them look even more silly to me.  Of course no one spends half their time glued to their phone.  Being able to access information doesn't impair my ability to enjoy a cruise.  Shooting a text to a buddy bragging about me being able to enjoy a cruise while he is schlepping at work is good fun and sport. My relationships are good and  important to me and I don't need to cut them off for a week to relax. Sharing the experience with those I love and who love me enhances the experience.  You do you but try to act a little less pretentious.  I pity the person that goes on vacation and nobody cares they're gone.

in another topic I posted a story about our flight times changing the day before we disembarked.  Luckily we were prepared because we had wifi.  In November 2018, on our TA from Civitavecchia, the itinerary changed 3 days prior which, thank God, we used our hotel wifi and didn't leave phones in safe.  AND, we were able to contact via email and phone the vendors, rental cars... to book new excursions and cancel old ones because we had the ship's wifi and could do so on day 2 sea day.  One time on another cruise our excursion was cancelled due to lack of interest and we were able to reschedule with another activity because we had wifi.  I am able to use our Nest cameras to see packages delivered so I can let a neighbor or family know.  My husband can work from ship to be able to pay for cruise.  

I find it amazing that people can't accept others using wifi.  I honestly don't know why this is even discussed.  Truthfully as I pointed out before, the more of you that shut out the world, the better for my speed.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

We have 5 landline phones.One attached to a kitchen wall and one sitting on a night table.My late mother in law had a rotary phone until 2015.

I worked until 2004.In 1998 all typewriters were replaced by computers except for me.

My parents still have a wall mounted hardwired rotary phone in the basement, circa 1970 harvest gold. When my kids were younger they asked how to dial a number on it. We just through out my Smith Corona electric typewriter from my college days last year.

6 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

Nest cameras to see packages delivered

I forgot about camera surveillance and being able to turn off the lights that get left on by my son in spite of the fact that they are all on timers. I can tell just by looking at my Kasa APP what's on and what's off.  It's also fun to see the looks on their face when they have friends over and I start playing with the lights.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

My parents still have a wall mounted hardwired rotary phone in the basement, circa 1970 harvest gold. When my kids were younger they asked how to dial a number on it. We just through out my Smith Corona electric typewriter from my college days last year.

I no longer have a typewriter but I have a picture of myself at a typewriter in 1994.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

Well this sure went way off topic

I'll bring it back.....YES, I care about having all the communications I want ...AT&T cruise plan, Voom Surf -n-Stream. Just because I'm on a cruise doesn't mean I need or want to disconnect from life.

JMHO each to their own decisions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ashland said:

I'll bring it back.....YES, I care about having all the communications I want ...AT&T cruise plan, Voom Surf -n-Stream. Just because I'm on a cruise doesn't mean I need or want to disconnect from life.

JMHO each to their own decisions.

I have found the AT&T “pay as you go”international plans, and VOOM surf and stream to be a better fiscal choice than the AT&T cruise plan. 

8 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

I forgot about camera surveillance and being able to turn off the lights that get left on by my son in spite of the fact that they are all on timers. I can tell just by looking at my Kasa APP what's on and what's off.  It's also fun to see the looks on their face when they have friends over and I start playing with the lights.

I can control lights, cameras, music, etc. in 5 houses.😎

All with my voice.

But I rarely exercise my 'powers'😉

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I have found the AT&T “pay as you go”international plans, and VOOM surf and stream to be a better fiscal choice than the AT&T cruise plan. 

That has depended on just where we're going to be...We've done that option for some International land trips we've done....sometimes the cruise plan works out best.

Phone is my camera so I have it on me. Use to keep it in airplane mode until they came out with the  hat feature on the cruise line apps.  It helpful for arranging meets ups after our party has gone to do different things. Those work without paying for wifi so the rest of the phone is pretty useless and keeps me disconnected. 

Like any bonus, anywhere you need to factor things in at what they are worth to you, most cruises I couldn’t care less for wifi, but appreciate it on long trips where I still have some work obligations. Same with drinks, as a non drinker it is worth the price of a Soda package to us. OBC is good to a point, but if it is non refundable you need to consider what you would otherwise spend we don’t usually spend a lot on board.

So pass on all the inclusions and give me a better fare.

12 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

So pass on all the inclusions and give me a better fare.

This is why I don't like the ships that have gone "all inclusive everything" -- as a mostly non-booze-drinker, I don't like paying several hundred dollars for something I'm not using. 

The only thing I'd like to see "always included" would be gratuities... then people wouldn't remove them and take money away from the hard-working crew who deserve every cent of that money, IMO.

I've never felt that a cruise is "nickel and diming" me to death just because I purchased the things that *I* wanted to have on the trip. 

I get the soda package and wifi -- don't need booze, specialty dining, spa treatments, etc.  I also tend to get inside staterooms, because I just don't use the room enough to justify the extra money -- why pay for a balcony if I'm never once going to step foot on it?

With that being said, I hold NO animosity towards ANYONE who chooses to pay for the Unlimited Dining Package, the Deluxe Beverage Package, an expensive cabana on Coco Cay, a suite (of any kind), etc.  If that makes them happy to have those things, more power to them!  Why should I give a rat's patootie?

• Like 3

I think leaving off tips is to make the fare look lower. It think it would have to be an across the board industry standard to include the tips in the advertised fare price or no one is going to want to be the one that looks like the price is higher. 

• 1 month later...

The purpose of vacation is to unwind and get away from all these gadgets who cares he’s calling me or what’s going on in the outside world that’s why it’s called a vacation I don’t need to be connected to the world I can do that when I get back if I want to read a book or bring a book bring some games to play bring a puzzle book I’m not gonna pay obnoxious prices to be on the Internet I’m on vacation I should be focusing on having a good time if I want to plan all my devices than what’s the sense of taking a vacation and stay the heck home home

Just go worry about your own vacation, and let others do what they want on their vacation.

Until you start paying for my cruise fare, you have no say in how I (or anyone else) choose to spend our time.

Please also stop with the attention seeking behavior, too.  It's BEYOND annoying to bring up a month-old thread just so others have to see you again.  

• Like 5

I think those who want to disconnect, it's understandable (like Coke over Pepsi, a choice)

I personally want Wifi as I'm a 62 yo retired technology geek and love pair Wifi with my GPS and iPad to track our ship (to the meter) and surrounding weather,com Pro radar when in rock'y weather. And when on the balcony I watch for passing RCI or Carnival ships using a spotting scope and an iPhone connection when I know they're close by.  That and Craps are "my" hobby and a cruise ship is just the vehicle. So, I like/want Wifi. I do think Wifi is a personal choice.

What the arguable point is, is the price.
The "price" for Wifi seems unreasonably high and for those of us who do want it.

On 9/19/2021 at 9:13 AM, 2chiefs said:

Personally, we like to lock up our phones in the safe while on a cruise and disconnect from the outside world and enjoy our vacation. We typically take cruises that are shorter 7 to 14 days in length. We don't bring computers or tablets with us.

Can someone explain the joys of locking a phone in a safe on a cruise like it's the 90s???  When did not carrying a cell phone and enjoying a cruise become mutually inclusive?  

It's 2021.  Technology is a part of life and cell phone apps are becoming more necessary for common things.  Society is not going backward to the point where you don't need some sort of wifi or data to accomplish tasks.  

I'm actually wondering when RC will step up their technology and have more app integration on ships like Celebrity's E-Class and Princess.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, crusinthrough said:

Can someone explain the joys of locking a phone in a safe on a cruise like it's the 90s???  When did not carrying a cell phone and enjoying a cruise become mutually inclusive?  

It's 2021.  Technology is a part of life and cell phone apps are becoming more necessary for common things.  Society is not going backward to the point where you don't need some sort of wifi or data to accomplish tasks.  

I'm actually wondering when RC will step up their technology and have more app integration on ships like Celebrity's E-Class and Princess.  

its the condescending attitude that because I choose to go on my phone I am somehow deplorable and offensive.  These same people probably dont watch tv either or other peasant like activities.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We don't purchase wifi for the ship but keep our phones on us for the app and reservations and planning what's next. When there is wifi at a beach or in a port where I can use my phone network. I check on the house with all of our wyze and blink cams and maybe check emails briefly.