Soft drink cost on board for non-drinkers

jjunnila

Now I know we are both at a "disadvantage" since we won't partake in the included wine/beer with lunch/dinner.  I am assuming that soft drinks and specialty coffees are charged al a carte outside of dinner. Does anyone have any idea what this costs? On Celebrity there is a non-alcoholic drinks package but I don't see this for Viking.

Any experience from those that have been on Viking and don't drink alcohol?

Thanks

Edited by jjunnila
clarity

• jjunnila changed the title to Soft drink cost on board for non-drinkers
48 minutes ago, jjunnila said:

Now I know we are both at a "disadvantage" since we won't partake in the included wine/beer with lunch/dinner.  I am assuming that soft drinks and specialty coffees are charged al a carte outside of dinner. Does anyone have any idea what this costs? On Celebrity there is a non-alcoholic drinks package but I don't see this for Viking.

Thanks

The only specialty coffees that have a charge are those with alcohol in them, so you should be good for lattes, espressos, etc.  The Living Room bar is open most of the day and can supply the non-alcoholic specialty coffees.

I was wondering the same thing. I’m on medication that limits how much I should drink alcohol. It looks like soft drinks cost $3.75 at the bar, according to this menu. I wonder if refills are free?

https://sandinmysuitcase.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/Viking-OC-Living-Room-Bar-Menu-2021.pdf

However, I also think that the fridge in the cabins are kept stocked with soft drinks, and you can tell your steward which ones you want. 

8 minutes ago, Eggtuary said:

However, I also think that the fridge in the cabins are kept stocked with soft drinks, and you can tell your steward which ones you want. 

This is true for DV and above cabins - there is only one initial stocking of soda at the beginning of the cruise for V cabins. I usually take a can or two from lunch and put it in my refrigerator - never had a problem. I haven’t had occasion to order soda at the bar.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On our first day on board we check the mini-frig.  We take out items we do not want.   I will  leave a note in the frig with a list of items we would like stocked. Also we will pick up extra bottles of water at the gangway and keep in the refrigerator.  Talk to your cabin steward on filling the ice bucket in the cabin.

I normally carry individual  powdered lemonade to mix in a bottle of water.

Remember you do have 24 hour room service. We may order a cheese plater (with fresh fruit) from room service. Carry "ziplock" type bags to store the extra cheese and fruit.

On our last cruise we got back late afternoon from a long tour that included a large lunch.  That night we ordered French onion soup and salad from room service.

Room service has always been quick and very good food; hot items are hot and cold items are cold.

On Viking you can also bring wine and spirits on board to consume with no problems or hassles.

Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Eggtuary said:

I was wondering the same thing. I’m on medication that limits how much I should drink alcohol. It looks like soft drinks cost $3.75 at the bar, according to this menu. I wonder if refills are free?

https://sandinmysuitcase.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/Viking-OC-Living-Room-Bar-Menu-2021.pdf

Not all cabins. Variety is limited and restocked only once per day. Depends on what you want and how much you would require.

• Thanks 1

As well as soft drinks in your fridge if you are cabin DV and above, you can have any soft drinks or non alcoholic beers at lunch and dinner.

Coffee and tea and hot chocolate available 24/7 from World cafe ( machine)

Also speciality coffees and hot chocolate from the Living room bar and explorers lounge bar.

I always have a capucinno instead of a cocktail 😀

On 9/30/2021 at 3:02 PM, cruisinchrissy said:

As well as soft drinks in your fridge if you are cabin DV and above, you can have any soft drinks or non alcoholic beers at lunch and dinner.

Coffee and tea and hot chocolate available 24/7 from World cafe ( machine)

Also speciality coffees and hot chocolate from the Living room bar and explorers lounge bar.

I always have a capucinno instead of a cocktail 😀

Yes one will not go thirsty on a Viking Ship. 🤩

Any soft drink  etc in a can or bottle during the hours of lunch: 11:30 -2:30 and dinner 5:00 - 9. Just ask for something and take it back to your stateroom.

Also one can bring any soda, beer, wine or spirits on board. Viking treats you like an adult.

We  will have the Silver beverage package for my self and sister. She does not drink alcohol , so she has all the sparking water she wants, soda and  the lovely non alcoholic  cocktails on the bar menu. The  bartender  at the pool  bar   offered her  a new mocktail daily that he crafted for her.  They were delicious. 

On 9/30/2021 at 9:55 AM, jjunnila said:

Thanks

To answer your question and if memory serves, soda is $3.50 per glass at the bar and non-alcoholic mocktails are not more than $7.50.  

To sum I up,  if you do it right, you don't ever have to pay for a soda.  Between your minifridge, free sodas at meal time,  the ability to walk out of the dining room with an extra can or two and the ability to get ice and a glass from any bar, you should have that covered.  

Hot chocolate, tea and all non-alcoholic coffees are free 24/7. Free water on the gangway.  IMHO, the best coffee is served at the Living Room bar.  

Viking has a liberal BYO policy and allows you to drink your BYO in any of the public areas.  They will even supply you with glasses and ice.  

The only thing left out of pocket are fruit juices and mocktails.  

As for the drinks package, people buy the package for two reasons, either they buy it for the savings or they buy it for the convenience, not caring if they break even or not.  

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

To answer your question and if memory serves, soda is $3.50 per glass at the bar and non-alcoholic mocktails are not more than $7.50.  

According to the link I posted above which is reportedly from a cruise this summer, the cost is $3.75 for soft drinks and $5 for non-alcoholic mocktails. 

• Thanks 1

Is sparkling water always charged for or is it offered free of charge at meals?  I am also curious what brand.

And a little off topic, I see references to red and white wines at mealtimes, do they also offer rose?  Any good or is it a blast from the past sweet number? 

5 hours ago, uktog said:

Is sparkling water always charged for or is it offered free of charge at meals?  I am also curious what brand.

And a little off topic, I see references to red and white wines at mealtimes, do they also offer rose?  Any good or is it a blast from the past sweet number? 

Two classes of sparkling water on board.  There is the sparkling water produced on the ship and free 24/7.  It is what you will be served unless you specifically ask for bottled water.  You can ask to have sparkling water in stead of or in addition to still water in your cabin. 

Bottled water is free at meals only.  I think the brands are Evian and Pellegrino.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have had the silver spirits package on two of our 3 Viking cruises - free from Viking.    On our New Year cruise we will definitely buy the package on board as it is very reasonably priced .  At least it is for someone who likes a cocktail or two as well as improved wine choices.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mrs Miggins said:

We have had the silver spirits package on two of our 3 Viking cruises - free from Viking.    On our New Year cruise we will definitely buy the package on board as it is very reasonably priced .  At least it is for someone who likes a cocktail or two as well as improved wine choices.

Thanks.  Unlikely at this stage we will have the package as it needs us both to have it and I do not drink enough to justify it.  However it will depend on whether there is an included rose and if it is drinkable or not

11 hours ago, uktog said:

I didn’t care much for the included rosè. I found it a bit sweet for my taste.  I liked one of the more premium ones much better, a Garofoli rosato from the Marche in Italy.  Most of the wines in the Silver Spirits package are $6/glass, or $25/bottle on the wine list, so you can calculate whether the package would benefit you or not.

39 minutes ago, lisiamc said:

I didn’t care much for the included rosè. I found it a bit sweet for my taste.  I liked one of the more premium ones much better, a Garofoli rosato from the Marche in Italy.  Most of the wines in the Silver Spirits package are $6/glass, or $25/bottle on the wine list, so you can calculate whether the package would benefit you or not.

Thanks - I am not a sweet lover at all so maybe we do have to think about the package after all

3 minutes ago, Eggtuary said:

I thought the included wines change without notice, even on the same cruise. Is that not correct?  I’m a complete newbie, so I’m completely reliant on what I read here and elsewhere. 

They do change the reds and whites, but I’m not sure about the rosè.  I only tried it once, and whenever I saw others drinking it, it looked like the same wine to me.  I never heard a waiter saying anything about it other than that it was rosè. It could well have been a different one with a very similar colour. 

2 hours ago, lisiamc said:

They do change the reds and whites, but I’m not sure about the rosè.  I only tried it once, and whenever I saw others drinking it, it looked like the same wine to me.  I never heard a waiter saying anything about it other than that it was rosè. It could well have been a different one with a very similar colour. 

My understanding is that the wine list is constantly changing and that a wine served a few months ago may not be available the next time you sail.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

My understanding is that the wine list is constantly changing and that a wine served a few months ago may not be available the next time you sail.  

Thanks very much a first world problem, will I like the rose.... should I buy a package 🙂 

14 hours ago, uktog said:

Thanks very much a first world problem, will I like the rose.... should I buy a package 🙂 

I am sure you will have the opportunity to try the included wines before you decide.  You can certainly buy the package onboard.

On our first Viking we didnt have the SS package and the pouring were generous and nobody minded you takin away a glass after lunch or dinner.

However I am not a rose drinker (apart from Whispering Angel) so not sure about the normal offering.

The crew are very obliging and will look after you, I am sure.

Rather like on Azamara the onboard experience is superior to the back office.