Live and Happy from Eurodam October 6 to 30

Vict0riann

18 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

There are still a few days to go before we leave for Venice, but I'm hoping others from our roll calls will join in with their experiences during these Covid times.  We are excited thinking about our adventure to come, also nervous - we definitely want to stay healthy, and that really is the main concern - I know the cruise is going to be great.  The itinerary is one we've done before, only a couple of new ports, but that really means we can be more relaxed about our ventures ashore, and if we have any doubts, we'll just stay on board.

6A2F0AAF-7803-43FA-B215-AE28790E0079.thumb.jpeg.845b371f45e16a1f0d54a1db8b825a2e.jpeg.97c271e3c96d4a019185d0f05ccca095.jpeg

This will be our FIRST time for all these destinations and we are SO excited! Looking forward to meeting everyone. A bit anxious about the flight. Masks and face shields at the ready! Covid test scheduled for tomorrow and also have BinaxNOW at-home tests at the ready for Monday if tomorrow's do not come back as quickly as promised. The prep for this cruise has been much more stressful than any other cruise we have taken. Looking forward to a relaxing sea day!

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

At $142 I would expect bottomless wine bottles!   A couple of times we had people at our table who didn’t drink, and they split up the price, and applied the loyalty discount for the food portion.  That was on Prinsendam , though, and that was a special ship.

Folks on the Rotterdam TA have this dinner offered also, so it sounds like it is just being introduced  and may be across the fleet eventually.  Those on that cruise who inquired with HAL say there is no Mariner discount available on it.

Thanks @Vict0riann for taking on this effort!  Looking forward to reading your entries.  Enjoy your cruise! 

• Like 1

Have a wonderful cruise.  We were booked on this for a while but ended up moving it to next fall.  Too funny though, I received a Bon Voyage from our travel agency😂.  I will be following this thread with interest.  Bon Voyage to you and Pat.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Thanks for all the good wishes - we're going to need them! 

There was a flurry of emails this morning from Lufthansa, two each, one about our transit through Frankfurt and the documentation needed, and another about our arrival in Italy, and what is needed for that.  Hopefully, we have everything in order and Pat will be able to send it beforehand.  However, we have appointments for tests Monday morning, before we fly, so that will have to be last minute.   I think the countries are relying on the airlines to do the vetting, someone posted on a roll call that Italian immigration just looked at their passports and didn't require anything else.  

Our plan is to get our tests (at 11), wait for the results, drive out to the airport and park in the long-term lot.    That way, when we get back, we'll be able to drive home on our own and self-isolate for ten days or so and then get tested, just to be sure we are not bringing anything home with us!  Our flight to Vancouver is at 2:30, so we hope everything fits in!  Then we have  about an hour and a half in Vancouver airport, but there is a long walk from domestic to international.    Not my favourite airport....

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

There was a flurry of emails this morning from Lufthansa, two each, one about our transit through Frankfurt and the documentation needed, and another about our arrival in Italy, and what is needed for that.  Hopefully, we have everything in order and Pat will be able to send it beforehand.  However, we have appointments for tests Monday morning, before we fly, so that will have to be last minute.   I think the countries are relying on the airlines to do the vetting, someone posted on a roll call that Italian immigration just looked at their passports and didn't require anything else.  

Our plan is to get our tests (at 11), wait for the results, drive out to the airport and park in the long-term lot.    That way, when we get back, we'll be able to drive home on our own and self-isolate for ten days or so and then get tested, just to be sure we are not bringing anything home with us!  Our flight to Vancouver is at 2:30, so we hope everything fits in!  Then we have  about an hour and a half in Vancouver airport, but there is a long walk from domestic to international.    Not my favourite airport....

Sounds like a plan :)

We will be watching for your flight to land at YVR this afternoon and then your departure.  Love Lufthansa, you will be well taken care of.  Take your time between Domestic and International, which is very easy to get through, very professionally organized.  Be calm, be safe, be happy!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Wow!! Best wishes for smooth connections and safe travels! Hope to see you aboard when we join the ship in Marghera on October 18!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SilvertoGold said:

Sounds like a plan 🙂

We will be watching for your flight to land at YVR this afternoon and then your departure.  Love Lufthansa, you will be well taken care of.  Take your time between Domestic and International, which is very easy to get through, very professionally organized.  Be calm, be safe, be happy!

Thanks for that - actually, not today, but Monday, we will be passing over you!  I was wondering about those golf carts they used to have to take us elderly, decrepit travellers from one terminal to the other.  I had an idea they were manned by volunteers, and I don't know if they are running now.  Our airport just opened to non-travellers a week or so ago.  

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Thanks for that - actually, not today, but Monday, we will be passing over you!  I was wondering about those golf carts they used to have to take us elderly, decrepit travellers from one terminal to the other.  I had an idea they were manned by volunteers, and I don't know if they are running now.  Our airport just opened to non-travellers a week or so ago.  

I would hardly call you and Pat decrepit but I get the getting there faster strategy 😉 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I wish you a wonderful cruise and thank you for the live from thread.  I actually really like the Vancouver airport.  I’d rather take a bullet in my head than go through Toronto.  Toronto is easily the worst airport I’ve been through.  Good luck with your test on Monday!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

You could always call the airport and ask if they are running the carts.  Failing that, ask the  gate agent to call one for you; that's what we did when we traveled the first time after DH's knee replacement.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

I was wondering about those golf carts

Can you just request assistance?  In Europe the airlines must give assistance if requested. We have requested assistance for Ellen to the gate on departure and arrival.  The airport provides it, but it must be requested through the airline.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I wish you a wonderful cruise and thank you for the live from thread.  I actually really like the Vancouver airport.  I’d rather take a bullet in my head than go through Toronto.  Toronto is easily the worst airport I’ve been through.  Good luck with your test on Monday!

I agree 100% with you  , not with the bullet but with the worst airport part !  Another one is Ft Lauderdale where often you have to sit on the floor because there are not enough seats .

Edited by sailingdutchy
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, VMax1700 said:

Can you just request assistance?  In Europe the airlines must give assistance if requested. We have requested assistance for Ellen to the gate on departure and arrival.  The airport provides it, but it must be requested through the airline.

We’ve done that, too, on occasion.  But it means that you have to hang around waiting for everyone to get off and then they come with a wheelchair.  I much prefer to go out into the concourse and just hitch a ride!  Usually there is a specific spot (bus stop?) where you can wait, if the carts are running.  I can do the walk, it’s just Pat is such a speed walker I can’t keep up! 

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Ann

YVR.ca

Look under Navigate YVR at the top , then under Accessibility 

Not sure what is available exactly, but you can ask when you exit the Domestic Terminal. Phoning them now (24/7) might be the best idea.  Good luck!  I figured out your departure was Sunday, so I'll be watching.

Update from the Eurodam:

- We’ve been on board since Sep 12. Masks only required when walking around the ship. Not required when outside, or eating or drinking. About 50% seem to wear them in the Main Stage

- Elevators are plentiful. It’s rare to have to share one

- We have less than 1000 passengers on board. Earlier weeks had even less 

- Service has been great. The crew has been very enthusiastic

- There has been a bit too much repetition on the menus, but enough choices that we always find something. Food has been excellent as always 

- We have had 1 COVID test since boarding 

- Seems Italy is not allowing any private tours or independent touring. We have a ship tour for Venice on 10/6 so we are good 

I can answer questions 

Kevin

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

Thanks for joining in, @blueM!  I'm sure there will be last minute panic questions.  We got an email from HAL last night saying we needed to do the Passenger Locator Forms for Italy (already done), Greece (done earlier but no reply, and their info says cruise passengers don't need it), and Slovenia (I think Pat is working on it now).   I wonder what they are telling you on the ship?  

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Thanks for joining in, @blueM!  I'm sure there will be last minute panic questions.  We got an email from HAL last night saying we needed to do the Passenger Locator Forms for Italy (already done), Greece (done earlier but no reply, and their info says cruise passengers don't need it), and Slovenia (I think Pat is working on it now).   I wonder what they are telling you on the ship?  

They are providing the forms as we go along, several days in advance 

We had them filled out ahead of time 

Kevin

Edited by blueM
  • Like 2

Pat got the QR codes for Slovenia, now he's working on Greece.  I suppose anything that can be done ahead of time will make for less work on the ship!

He had a call at midnight last night from Lufthansa and was on the line with a lady somewhere in the world about our seat selections,  which got lost somewhere.  Now it is too late to make them over again for the outbound flights, so will have to try at the airport.  What a nuisance

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Pat got the QR codes for Slovenia, now he's working on Greece.  I suppose anything that can be done ahead of time will make for less work on the ship!

He had a call at midnight last night from Lufthansa and was on the line with a lady somewhere in the world about our seat selections,  which got lost somewhere.  Now it is too late to make them over again for the outbound flights, so will have to try at the airport.  What a nuisance

Doing onboard can be dicey due to hit and miss WiFi. Works ok when people are off the ship or very early in the am. Surprisingly it’s working now as we are ordering dinner in the MDR

• Like 1