Live and Happy from Eurodam October 6 to 30

Vict0riann

Best wishes for an uneventful flight, Colin and Ellen!  We are on our way soon, too. But a lot longer flight -10 hours from Vancouver to Frankfurt and then another hour or so to Venice.   We should get in around 2 tomorrow.

We will stop on the way to Victoria airport for COVID tests, which we hope to fail....

• Like 7

On 10/2/2021 at 4:36 PM, Vict0riann said:

We’ve done that, too, on occasion.  But it means that you have to hang around waiting for everyone to get off and then they come with a wheelchair.  I much prefer to go out into the concourse and just hitch a ride!  Usually there is a specific spot (bus stop?) where you can wait, if the carts are running.  I can do the walk, it’s just Pat is such a speed walker I can’t keep up! 

Our elderly “other mother” lives in Victoria and flew to see us in California last August. Her flight stopped in Vancouver with a 1 1/2 hour layover. She always uses the airline wheelchair assist to make it through airports at each end and layover transitions. In Vancouver they put them on a cart for a short way heading to the international connection, but then made them walk a long distance to the next cart. She managed, but found it difficult. Never happened before like that. Birder check throughs in both directions were easy, smooth.

9 minutes ago, JanDay said:

Our elderly “other mother” lives in Victoria and flew to see us in California last August. Her flight stopped in Vancouver with a 1 1/2 hour layover. She always uses the airline wheelchair assist to make it through airports at each end and layover transitions. In Vancouver they put them on a cart for a short way heading to the international connection, but then made them walk a long distance to the next cart. She managed, but found it difficult. Never happened before like that. Birder check throughs in both directions were easy, smooth.

Yes, the “short cut” is still a long walk.  Once, after a trip in Europe, we came home through Vancouver airport and I had problems with one leg.  Eventually they decided I had a stress fracture.  I blamed it on the cobbles in Italy, and that long walk through Vancouver airport.  I have been resentful ever since!

19 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Yes, the “short cut” is still a long walk.  Once, after a trip in Europe, we came home through Vancouver airport and I had problems with one leg.  Eventually they decided I had a stress fracture.  I blamed it on the cobbles in Italy, and that long walk through Vancouver airport.  I have been resentful ever since!

So sorry that happened to you.

Ann, thank you for doing the LIVE thread. We ended up cancelling after Istanbul disappeared from the various shifting itineraries, and ships, and are eager to hear about the adventure and travel virtually with you brave souls who stayed on board. 

We lost our super PCC of many years during COVID as well, with no message goodbye. We don’t know if she was cut in a scale-back or found better employment. The PCC we were given in her place has made multiple mistakes, so I am planning to ask for a change. If you are comfortable giving me the name and extension # of your new PCC, I can ask for her specifically. My email is jdaybgeorge and hotmail dot com. 🤗

Enjoy your great cruise! We love the Adriatic countries and Mediterranean ports.

Be well,  Jan

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Best wishes for an uneventful flight, Colin and Ellen!  We are on our way soon, too. But a lot longer flight -10 hours from Vancouver to Frankfurt and then another hour or so to Venice.   We should get in around 2 tomorrow.

We will stop on the way to Victoria airport for COVID tests, which we hope to fail....

Safe travels, Ann! Can’t wait to hear more about your trip and meet you aboard soon!

Heathrowe airport in London. I rode a golf cart adventure through the bowels of the airport. Poor DH was not allowed the ride but was given instructions how to get wherever we were to get to our  gate.  20 mins later we met up. We laugh at the memory. 

We are at the airport and all seems to be progressing as it should.  Except now CC seems to be misbehaving.  

As they say, “two negatives make a positive” and our two negative Antigen tests mean we are positive to fly.  I’m beginning to feel like a bear coming out of hibernation and saying to himself  “I made it through the winter”. Yay, I’m ready to travel!  

The airport is is very quiet, no queue to drop our bags, and all our documentation seemed to satisfy them, tests, PLFs, etc.  We used our Nexus cards to go through Security, although we probably didn’t need to.   We had some lunch and are now sitting in an almost deserted departure area.  Still an hour to wait for our flight.  Except in the restaurant, I haven’t seen anyone unmasked, but I heard an announcement for a flight mentioning that masks will be taken off to check your face to board. 

There are emergency vehicles on the tarmac.  

C48B7CBB-9041-4ADB-AB35-347140CA99CD.thumb.jpeg.2ef656313e362984ce178ab4ef40e194.jpeg

On the way out to the airport we passed a field of pumpkins.  It is a beautiful day here.

4FF7F082-409D-4E69-9731-BA27B4778900.thumb.jpeg.8994ca04ad81a28b453473bb65378f5c.jpeg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

We have arrived into our hotel in Mestre and I am imbibing my first glass of wine as I type this.

Flight was uneventful.  Boarding was easy as we had previously uploaded our Covid Green Pass (EU) and our Italy PLF's.  When we arrived into Treviso the 'Border Agent' asked to see our Covid passes and PLF's, but I really think he was bored and just wanted something to do to pass the time.

@Vict0riann and Pat: have a safe and uneventful flight.  

• Like 13

34EFAF4F-B041-4537-99E1-0783FC877055.thumb.jpeg.24818eaff09084384dc9f9e93fcc34b3.jpeg

We had a beautiful flight over from Victoria an unusual route.  I took a few pictures.  We caught a golf cart when we got out of domestic, and it was a long ride to I think, the furthest international gate.  On the way we switched from our cloth masks to N95.  Pat tried to get business class seats, but decided we will stick with premium economy.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

34EFAF4F-B041-4537-99E1-0783FC877055.thumb.jpeg.24818eaff09084384dc9f9e93fcc34b3.jpeg

We had a beautiful flight over from Victoria an unusual route.  I took a few pictures.  We caught a golf cart when we got out of domestic, and it was a long ride to I think, the furthest international gate.  On the way we switched from our cloth masks to N95.  Pat tried to get business class seats, but decided we will stick with premium economy.

Lovely picture, @Vict0riann! I hope my sister and brother-in-law have such a beautiful day when they fly to Vancouver, etc. next week!

We have made it to Frankfurt , it was a good flight.  I was expecting 10 hours, it turned out to be only 8 1/2, so that was a nice surprise.  Pat tells me it was a new plane for us, an Airbus A350-900.  The premium economy seats were just about the same as business, just in the economy cabin, and we were very comfortable.   We made it through Immigration easily, just a passport check, but our test papers and PLFs have already been checked twice, so I guess it’s all taken care of now that we are in the EU.  Tony says there was no checking at  the Venice airport.  

EE151A8B-25BE-46B8-A3D2-F0951F83CE17.thumb.jpeg.0dc784ff13157617ff247239d927e8ff.jpeg

A new camera under the plane.

C4205FAA-326A-4CC6-A4D3-88FF4F407C4C.thumb.jpeg.e5b3cc448a7ffdf2afc889ca86862acf.jpeg

A5D26334-C14C-4F12-A04C-0A2AA11210F0.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Well I had a bit of a disaster last night and have either pulled a muscle in my back or damaged a nerve.  It is almost impossible to move from sitting or lying down.  I am kinda ok when walking as long as I don't stop.  

This morning after breakfast we took a taxi into Mestre centre to go to a Farmacia to purchase Voltarol gel for my back.  Ellen suggested that embalming fluid may be a better choice 😭

As the pain eases as I walk, we walked around the town centre for a while and then had a light lunch of pizza slice, macron and latte macchiatos

DSCN2387.thumb.JPG.764efa5c0db40098d7de28b993da0666.JPG

Then it was time for gelato (purely medicinal!)

DSCN2386.thumb.JPG.e307ae60347564998d3cec83b9d5d03c.JPG

• Like 14

4 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Well I had a bit of a disaster last night and have either pulled a muscle in my back or damaged a nerve.  It is almost impossible to move from sitting or lying down.  I am kinda ok when walking as long as I don't stop.  

Oh no, that must be very uncomfortable! I hope your back is doing much better soon!

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

This morning after breakfast we took a taxi into Mestre centre to go to a Farmacia to purchase Voltarol gel for my back.  Ellen suggested that embalming fluid may be a better choice 😭

As the pain eases as I walk, we walked around the town centre for a while and then had a light lunch of pizza slice, macron and latte macchiatos

Back problems are the worst!  I'm sorry to hear of it and hope the gel works on the pain.  And the gelato surely can't hurt!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Sorry to hear about your pain. I once flew cross country for a wedding and arrived with pain as well. I went to our hotel spa, explained my pain and asked if they had an available massage therapist. His massage was more of a medical or therapeutic massage where I worked with him rather than just lay there. By the morning I was good as new. Maybe ask your hotel if there’s something like that close by. Hope you feel better. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sorry to hear about your back, @VMax1700, hope it is a temporary thing, and that the gelato helped.  That was an interesting map, wasn’t it?  It looked like we went straight across….

We had a couple of hours nap, and now will see if Tony and Martha are around anywhere.  They may have gone for a walk.  

After over 8 hours in an N95 mask, I have a tremendous amount of sympathy and respect for nurses.  Those masks are really awful.  My ears are painful, and my nose feels bruised.  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

No I just heard from someone that’s on the Eurodam  that the weather is not good enough in Marghera ; they are dockingin Trieste - so they are going to have to bus us  to Trieste tomorrow- the ship is scheduled to arrive at 5am so hopefully people will catch their flights at VCE

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Nodakboiler said:

No I just heard from someone that’s on the Eurodam  that the weather is not good enough in Marghera ; they are dockingin Trieste - so they are going to have to bus us  to Trieste tomorrow- the ship is scheduled to arrive at 5am so hopefully people will catch their flights at VCE

Well that is the absolute pits.  

There is a breeze blowing at the moment and if that is strong enough to deter a mid sized cruise ship from docking at a cargo terminal then there has been some very poor planning.

I don't look forward to a two hour transfer from Venice Cruise Terminal to Trieste, when HAL stated 15 minutes to Marghera.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Nodakboiler said:

Our navigator app is showing the Eurodam is in Trieste tomorrow. Have they changed the boarding port from Marghera to Trieste? Has anyone seen the same thing on their navigator app?

Sorry to read this. I’m curious though, where in the Navigator app did you find it?  I went through everything and can’t find it.