Silhouette vs Equinox?

hasentreelake

I thought I had figured out that we sail because of itinerary and not the ship.  But now I’m not sure.

For next Thanksgiving (2022) we are now planning a trip and have settled on an Eastern Caribbean route - we did Western in September this year, and will be doing Southern route (ABC) in November.    For next year there are two cruises that fit our schedule and are both 10 nights and departure date is the same day.    

The Silhouette sailing has 6 ports and 3 sea days.
The Equinox sailing has 5 ports and 4 sea days. 

The cabin locations would essentially be identical, and the cost of Equinox is about 15% less than Silhouette.

There are some good port stops and not so good port stops on each itinerary.
We have not been on an S class ship post revolution (only on Solstice) and know both these ships have been refurbed. 

So, if I am at a draw on the itineraries and know both ships have been revolutionized, is there any reason to pick one over the other?

4 minutes ago, Cg52 said:

If the price is right, say $200 pp more max, I would always book Concierge.

-Breakfast on the balcony has more choices included, we love having breakfast on the balcony

-afternoon snack is nice with a glass of wine. If you don’t like what they leave ask for something different. We usually get a cheese tray.

- we have always been left a lovely gift, we still use them. Good quality.

- preferred seating in dining room

there are other perks too. Nothing huge but worth it.

Edited by Cg52
Wrong post sorry
  • Haha 1

We've been on both ships several times. They are nearly identical. It's true that Equinox doesn't have the Lawn Club Grill, but the last time we ate there on Silhouette (February 2020) the food and service were deplorable. We ended up having to go to the buffet to finish our dinner.

We enjoy the glass blowing demonstrations on Equinox, which is not on Silhouette.

But the ships are so similar you should probably base your decision on price and itinerary.

• Thanks 1

One important point if you are booking a suite. Silhouette has received its full Revolution update, but Equinox was only partially updated. Silhouette would be my choice. 

I’d be a little bit concerned if the balcony breakfast is important. X has changed the furniture on the balcony post Revolution to a small balcony table good for a cup of coffee but not a full breakfast. 

Edited by RICCruisers
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are doing the Silhouette on 12/13/21(11nights) and Equinox in 1/30/22 & 2/11/22(21nights), both are wonderful. Yes, Silhouette has the lawn club which is a favorite of ours, but other than that there really is no difference. In February(b2b) of 2020, we did the Silhouette right after refurbishment and everything was spotless and new - now that it’s been in service would expect some of that spit polish has worn off. Equinox has had continuous cruises since her partial refurbishment so more wear down time.

We enjoy all cruise, and hope you do too

Hal

• Thanks 1

Good day, "hasentreelake."

You are asking about our last two ships (one late in 2019, the other here in 2021).  We like both equally well -- and they are almost identical -- so we recommend that you go with the one that will save you some money.

Others (above) praised the Lawn Club Grill on one ship, while others (above) praised the glass-blowing on the other ship.  We had a terrible experience in the Grill, and we have no interest in the glass-making -- so those canceled each other out!

Have fun!

• Like 1

The Silhouette is our favorite of the M or S Class ships (we have been on all of them at least once). And we like both The Porch and Lawn Club Grill (given the right weather).  We love having the additional dining options on the Silhouette especially on a longer cruise.   However, we wouldn’t hesitate to sail on any of the S-class ships.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, NCHPcruiser said:

The Silhouette is our favorite of the M or S Class ships (we have been on all of them at least once). And we like both The Porch and Lawn Club Grill (given the right weather).  We love having the additional dining options on the Silhouette especially on a longer cruise.   However, we wouldn’t hesitate to sail on any of the S-class ships.  

I also love the Silly and have sailed on her several times including an upcoming 10 nights in November.  Did not care for the glass blowing either; seats uncomfortable, too long and scorching hot sitting in the sun.  Never tried the porch or lawn club grill maybe this time.  

• Like 2

Agree with those who prefer the Silhouette over the Equinox because of the LCG. We have dined at the LCG twice and had excellent service and food. I do recognize that others may not have had the same experience. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, MarkWiltonM said:

We've been on both ships several times. They are nearly identical. It's true that Equinox doesn't have the Lawn Club Grill, but the last time we ate there on Silhouette (February 2020) the food and service were deplorable. We ended up having to go to the buffet to finish our dinner.

We enjoy the glass blowing demonstrations on Equinox, which is not on Silhouette.

But the ships are so similar you should probably base your decision on price and itinerary.

If food and service are deplorable why would you ever consider it regardless of itinerary?

Cruised both post Revolution. In terms of general venues, the revolution didn’t make that much difference. However if you book a suite Silhouette has a nicer Retreat lounge (more spacious feel, better furnishings) and the suite deck is far superior.

As others have said the addition of the Lawn Grill and The Porch make a nice change. 

Would not hesitate to cruise either again. OP, if you are booking a non suite room and are not over bothered about extra dining venues then save the 15%. 

Just one final point. Remember Silhouette lost its basketball court for the Retreat deck so if you are travelling with children/young adults then Equinox may be better…

Edited by chemmo
  • Like 1

I'll add one more voice for the Silhouette because of the Lawn Club Grill and The Porch Cafe - both of which we absolutely love - and the post-revolution Retreat, if you are considering a suite.  We have fortunately never had anything but wonderful service and food at both the LCG and Porch. We've sailed on the Sillie 3 times and would go back in a heartbeat. In fact, we booked the Reflection over the Equinox in 2022 largely because it also has the LGC and Porch, even though the reflection can carry approximately 150(ish) more passengers. All that said, I'm sure you'll have a wonderful trip on either ship. 👍

Thank you everyone for your responses.
We've decided to look at it a different way....
Cost of Equinox + Specialty dining for the entire trip is less than the cost for Silhouette.
Right now , we are planning to book the Equinox.
We will be in an S1 this Nov on Silhouette and will definitely try LCG and The Porch.
The dining variable is a bit more complicated for us as we did not find Luminae to our taste and opted to dine elsewhere the second half our our Sept cruise on Summit.  We will be giving Luminae and the entire Retreat experience a mulligan in about 6 weeks.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hasentreelake said:

Thank you everyone for your responses.
We've decided to look at it a different way....
Cost of Equinox + Specialty dining for the entire trip is less than the cost for Silhouette.
Right now , we are planning to book the Equinox.
We will be in an S1 this Nov on Silhouette and will definitely try LCG and The Porch.
The dining variable is a bit more complicated for us as we did not find Luminae to our taste and opted to dine elsewhere the second half our our Sept cruise on Summit.  We will be giving Luminae and the entire Retreat experience a mulligan in about 6 weeks.

You have evaluated what is important to you and made a decision.  The ships are near identical.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, LGW59 said:

If food and service are deplorable why would you ever consider it regardless of itinerary?

I'm not sure what you mean. I would gladly sail on the Silhouette again; I would just never eat at the Lawn Club Grill again. I'm on Equinox next, then Millennium, and these were based on dates/itineraries. I like all of the M and S class ships.