Jan and Feb Ships and Protocols

Lee Cruiser

49 minutes ago, jsglow said:

Yeah, no reason to stress about what other folks are doing.  If you're vaxxed, you're simply not getting seriously ill statistically speaking.

Statistically speaking is a point in time and then is gone. People are getting booster shots to prevent getting seriously ill. If covid kills 1% of the world population, that is almost 80 million people - statistically speaking. There is every reason to worry about what others do. The pandemic should have been under control in the US a long time ago, except for what other people didn't do.

• Like 3

I don’t mind the protocol extension… but I seriously (seriously seriously) doubt my May 2022 cruise on the Splendor (Sydney) will make so I keep watching for the magical words so I can get my deposit refunded from that one… and I already booked a replacement trip on the Panorama in June 2022,  (So basically I’m waiting for a valid reason to avoid losing the deposit there to show up in my inbox…)

• Like 1

Keeping the cruise for now-we go in January. Held off on vax my 15 yo son in hopes FDA would comes to its senses and consider one shot of Pfizer fully vaxed, or approve J&J for kids. Will start his series soon but spreading it out to 8 weeks. Many countries are now cautioning or not approving vax for younger kids. USA is of course too stubborn to consider any other country might have scientists who love their kids and can interpret data differently. 
OTOH if reduced capacity is still happening it may be worth all the hoop jumping lol!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Colorado Beach Bum said:

Supposedly they are giving out Moderna boosters even without approval.  DH Dr recommended he go and get it.  

I have considered that, but I don’t trust the cruise lines enough to believe they won’t come up with some ridiculous rule that the booster only counts if taken after the approval date.  It is exhausting trying to second guess what they might require next.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

It is absurd to imply US scientists don't love their kids as much as other scientists. Or that they are somehow incompetent. Stubbornness is subjective.

Would ARROGANCE work better? Why are 5 countries and more coming recommending much more caution with mRNA vax in younger kids? I never said US scientists don’t care about kids, but the dismissal or ARROGANCE to think ONLY  the US way is the only or correct way, 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, firefly333 said:

If your child cant be vaccinated (below 12 soon will be allowed) the $150 is waived, so you are wrong about this. If a child is of a age to be vaccinated chances of a exemption are about zero. You are confused about this. 

This is actually incorrect. Insurance is waived for those 12 and under who can't get vaccinated. You still have to pay $150 for testing of every unvaccinated guest. Also when our children were getting tested prior to boarding the Mardis Gras we met an adult couple that also received an exemption and were getting tested. So I would say the chance of an adult getting an exemption is not zero. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Tnlynch81 said:

This is actually incorrect. Insurance is waived for those 12 and under who can't get vaccinated. You still have to pay $150 for testing of every unvaccinated guest. Also when our children were getting tested prior to boarding the Mardis Gras we met an adult couple that also received an exemption and were getting tested. So I would say the chance of an adult getting an exemption is not zero. 

That would depend on WHEN your Mardi Gras cruise was. The rules have changed. Now adults can only receive exemptions for medical reasons, and those are very rare.

"Requirements for cruise ships to enter ports outside the U.S. continue to evolve and Carnival Cruise Line must operate in full compliance with these regulations. Vaccine exemptions for cruises to the Caribbean will be limited to a very small number of children under 12, and teens and adults with a medical condition who can provide written confirmation from their medical provider that they cannot be vaccinated for medical reasons. Our sailings from Florida, Texas, Louisiana, and Maryland will operate under these criteria until December 31, 2021 with the assumption that current and evolving restrictions imposed by destinations will remain in place. "

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tnlynch81 said:

Good to know. First time I've seen one post that a adult got a exemption since the rules for 12 and over vaccinated started. 

I see blerk is questioning if this person you ran into was before or after the rule change?

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

That would depend on WHEN your Mardi Gras cruise was. The rules have changed. Now adults can only receive exemptions for medical reasons, and those are very rare.

"Requirements for cruise ships to enter ports outside the U.S. continue to evolve and Carnival Cruise Line must operate in full compliance with these regulations. Vaccine exemptions for cruises to the Caribbean will be limited to a very small number of children under 12, and teens and adults with a medical condition who can provide written confirmation from their medical provider that they cannot be vaccinated for medical reasons. Our sailings from Florida, Texas, Louisiana, and Maryland will operate under these criteria until December 31, 2021 with the assumption that current and evolving restrictions imposed by destinations will remain in place. "

I believe this rule actually took effect at some point in August so all sailings in September required a medical exemption for adults. I was on the September 4th sailing btw. The point being is there are adults being granted the exemption as I have seen this first hand.

16 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Statistically speaking is a point in time and then is gone. People are getting booster shots to prevent getting seriously ill. If covid kills 1% of the world population, that is almost 80 million people - statistically speaking. There is every reason to worry about what others do. The pandemic should have been under control in the US a long time ago, except for what other people didn't do.

Maybe we're saying different things, I'm not sure.

The fact is that there have been 396 million doses of various vaccines administered in the US through October 4. The CDC reports exactly 8,390 Covid deaths among the vaccinated population representing .0021%.  So statistically speaking, if you're vaccinated you're fine, even if you catch it.  Now should the unvaxxed get the poke? Absolutely.  THEY are at significant risk.

3 hours ago, jsglow said:

Maybe we're saying different things, I'm not sure.

The fact is that there have been 396 million doses of various vaccines administered in the US through October 4. The CDC reports exactly 8,390 Covid deaths among the vaccinated population representing .0021%.  So statistically speaking, if you're vaccinated you're fine, even if you catch it.  Now should the unvaxxed get the poke? Absolutely.  THEY are at significant risk.

It is the same old lies, damn lies, and statistics.

It is also fact that the effectiveness of the vaccines is wearing off. Fact that the more covid cases there are, the more opportunity for mutation and variants to occur, perhaps more deadly than Delta and perhaps more vaccine resistant. Fact that that some fully vaccinated people do die from covid. Fact that some people have died because the hospital bed they needed was occupied by a covid patient.

The fact is the unvaxxed put others at risk.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

It is the same old lies, damn lies, and statistics.

It is also fact that the effectiveness of the vaccines is wearing off. Fact that the more covid cases there are, the more opportunity for mutation and variants to occur, perhaps more deadly than Delta and perhaps more vaccine resistant. Fact that that some fully vaccinated people do die from covid. Fact that some people have died because the hospital bed they needed was occupied by a covid patient.

The fact is the unvaxxed put others at risk.

I mostly disagree with your second paragraph.  But you and I do agree that the unvaxxed put others at risk.  Have a great day.

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, jsglow said:

I mostly disagree with your second paragraph.  But you and I do agree that the unvaxxed put others at risk.  Have a great day.

Then we also agree that there is reason for the vaxxed to be concerned with what others do or don't do.

Every day is great, but even better when cruising.

16 hours ago, Tnlynch81 said:

I believe this rule actually took effect at some point in August so all sailings in September required a medical exemption for adults. I was on the September 4th sailing btw. The point being is there are adults being granted the exemption as I have seen this first hand.

A few adults might receive an exemption for medical reasons, but are still thrown in the pool with the young kids who aren't eligible for a vaccine (currently). The total number of exemptions is still less than 5%.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

A few adults might receive an exemption for medical reasons, but are still thrown in the pool with the young kids who aren't eligible for a vaccine (currently). The total number of exemptions is still less than 5%.

No argument there... I just wanted to correct previous statements that gave false info and let it be known that there are some exemptions being given to adults. I imagine while kids are in school you will see a bigger mix of adults given the exemptions, but during the holidays it will most likely be all children in the 5%.

37 minutes ago, Tnlynch81 said:

No argument there... I just wanted to correct previous statements that gave false info and let it be known that there are some exemptions being given to adults. I imagine while kids are in school you will see a bigger mix of adults given the exemptions, but during the holidays it will most likely be all children in the 5%.

I think more likely that the 5% will decrease as children 5 and up will soon be eligible for vaccination. Certainly less than 1%, probably much less, of adults have legitimate medical reasons for not being vaccinated.

On 10/7/2021 at 8:57 AM, firedisney97 said:

And if this is the case I do not see the kids clubs being available to kids under 5, where before they were open to kids I believe 2 and up.  They might open them back up to vaccinated over 5 though

I don't either. There is still too much liability and if parents can't keep masks on kids or keep them distanced, Carnival certainly can't.

On 10/7/2021 at 10:22 AM, BlerkOne said:

Yep. The only unvaxed will be those not eligible or those who for (real) medical reasons can't. Those groups will still require case by case exemptions and the numbers will be decreasing.

I asked John Heald on his FB page about Carnival's protocol that unvaxxed passengers are to stay 6 feet away from other passengers indoors, 3 feet outside - how do we vaxxed passengers know who is not? He was pretty vague, said Carnival knows who the unvaxxed passengers are. Huh? Didn't question him any further, but kind of took that to mean there aren't any unvaxxed adult passengers, only kids under 12.  If any unvaxxed people are being allowed on ships I would certainly want to know who they are, some way to identify them.  Carnival isn't obligated to accept medical or religious exemptions, are they?

4 hours ago, nlktx49 said:

I asked John Heald on his FB page about Carnival's protocol that unvaxxed passengers are to stay 6 feet away from other passengers indoors, 3 feet outside - how do we vaxxed passengers know who is not? He was pretty vague, said Carnival knows who the unvaxxed passengers are. Huh? Didn't question him any further, but kind of took that to mean there aren't any unvaxxed adult passengers, only kids under 12.  If any unvaxxed people are being allowed on ships I would certainly want to know who they are, some way to identify them.  Carnival isn't obligated to accept medical or religious exemptions, are they?

Both vaxxed and unvaxxed can spread the virus.

I think some states require certain exemptions be allowed.

5 hours ago, nlktx49 said:

If you get close enough they have an extra hole punch on their S&S card... as I said before there were at least 2 adults who were unvaxed on my cruise at the beginning of September. 

5 hours ago, nlktx49 said:

Rcl is actually giving out purple bracelets to wear if you are vaccinated so they know who can sit without masks in certain areas. 

Other than the one guy above, never heard anyone over age 12 on carnival roll calls says a adult got exempted so it must be rare.

8 minutes ago, wkucrprez said:

As Carnival should be doing AND easing up on the masking requirements for those who are wearing a wristband. I sailed last month and the masking requirements are out of control for passengers that are vaccinated AND tested for Covid prior to boarding. 

In general, I agree here.  Wearing a wrist band or perhaps even a different color for S&S ids could help passengers and crew know who is and who isn't vaccinated.  As everyone vax or non-vax is tested prior to cruise. logically one would think there would be less risk of spread.  However, COVID can take some time to develop so you can get a negative test one day and 2 or 3 days later test positive.  But this is very rare for vaxed people.  So-called "break through cases are not all that prevalent .  Many are from people between vaccines or those who got vaxed early on.  Booster shot would help reduce even that low number.   There are then those who have had COVID, recovered, and are still within the time frame for post-infection immunity.  Even medical doctors have differences on when these people need to get vaccinated.

But for masks, only the N95 (not KN95) masks offer marginal protection against spread. Somewhat better protection for keeping those with COVID from spreading.  Really work good for reducing the spread of colds and flu.  But cloth masks and those paper blue masks are not anywhere near as effective as the marginal effectiveness of N95 masks. So bring N95 masks to wear where required or asked on board ship and don't  gripe about it.  The crew is merely following the Cruise Line/CDC requirements.