Can someone help me....I'm technically challenged

cruzin4us

Ok, I've got a new iphone 13 and I've got the Medallion App downloaded and that's all good.  I have a wifi pkg for one device.   I also own a MacBook Pro laptop which I would like to take with me to watch Netflix movies.   I'm rooming with a friend and I'd like to wear earbuds so as not to disturb her with the TV on.   

Being at the age where I wake up at all times of the night, it would be awesome to have this capability.  

I also don't believe I can download the app on my MacBook Pro....I think I need a ipad or smart phone.

Now's where this uncomputer savvy woman needs some help.   Can I connect to the wifi with my Mac if I pay for an additional device and then be able to connect to Netflix?  Also, does the wifi connection work well enough to even watch movies?

Please be gentle with me and pretend you are talking to a 2 year old.  I definitely want to understand this before I haul my Macbook Pro all over the place.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cruzin4us said:

Can I connect to the wifi with my Mac if I pay for an additional device and then be able to connect to Netflix?  Also, does the wifi connection work well enough to even watch movies?

You will be able to purchase wifi & connect your laptop....no app needed. Connection speed depends on where you are sailing. Alaska is horrible, Caribbean is fast.

Netflix has an app for your phone and you can pre download films and series to watch while you are away, no internet needed. 
You could stream from either your phone app or the .com if the connection is good.  
someone may be able to answer about  the wifi but the last I knew it was ONE device at a time meaning you could use it on any device. 
Just a note: Netflix selections will change depending on which country you are in. 

9 minutes ago, fluffybunny22 said:

I can't help. I just want to say I'm impressed that you have the latest Apple products but are technically challenged. I'm also technically challenged and I think I still have an iPhone 6 and a chromebook.

Ha.....I just got the iPhone 13 about a week ago and I'm so beyond lost on how to work it.  I had an iPhone 6 but the battery wouldn't last for more than 1 hour.   So I upgraded 🙂

9 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

You will be able to purchase wifi & connect your laptop....no app needed. Connection speed depends on where you are sailing. Alaska is horrible, Caribbean is fast.

thank you!   Any idea how the connection speed is on the Mexican Riviera cruise?

8 hours ago, cruzin4us said:

Ha.....I just got the iPhone 13 about a week ago and I'm so beyond lost on how to work it.  I had an iPhone 6 but the battery wouldn't last for more than 1 hour.   So I upgraded 🙂

Bit late now but for other people reading this, there are lots of place where you could have gotten the battery in your iPhone 6 replaced.  Just remember that the Apple store is not one of them.

DON

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

Bit late now but for other people reading this, there are lots of place where you could have gotten the battery in your iPhone 6 replaced.  Just remember that the Apple store is not one of them.

DON

I contemplated doing that but my phone was so full I couldn't even download the Medallion App!!!   I take way to many photos of the grandkids, my garden and cruises.  I opted for the 1 Trig this time 🙂

I take my iPhone and iPad and use them both just not at the same time.  Easy to log out of one and into the other, I also download Netflix ahead of time comes in handy for airports, flights, and on the ship.  If you have any issues lots of help available and instructions were provided for logging into the ships wifi.

• Like 2

Internet speed/signal on the ship will not be enough to stream from Netflix. So, as others suggested above, download the content in advance and then you'll be able to watch it anywhere ... anytime without need to connect to the internet.

1 hour ago, bigmjh said:

Internet speed/signal on the ship will not be enough to stream from Netflix.

I did it on Ruby Princess in late 2019 from Sydney to Fiji and it worked fine.

As far as I know, all Princess ships have been upgraded to the fast satellite internet system which works fine between about 45 degrees latitude north and south.

Things may have changed, but from memory this is what I did:

Allow your phone or laptop to connect to the Princess ship WiFi.

Open a browser and enter "login.com" (no quotes).

This should take you to the ship website.

Login with your passenger details.

Select "Internet Access". It wasn't called that, but it was something similar.

The first time you get asked if you want to buy an unlimited internet package. Say "yes".

Stay logged on and open a new browser window (not sure this is necessary, but it's what I did).

Type in "netflix.com". This should take you to the Netflix website.

Logout from Netflix when finished.

Logout from from the ship website when finished.

Bob's your uncle.

That's according to my memory, which I do not guarantee. Besides I think you now have to purchase MedallionNet before the cruise.

Edited by SinbadThePorter

2 hours ago, Sprocket said:

I take my iPhone and iPad and use them both just not at the same time.  Easy to log out of one and into the other, I also download Netflix ahead of time comes in handy for airports, flights, and on the ship.  If you have any issues lots of help available and instructions were provided for logging into the ships wifi.

Thank you, this answered exactly what I needed to know.  I appreciate you explaining it to a 2 year old.  Whew, no more stressing over this 🙂

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cruzin4us said:

Thank you, this answered exactly what I needed to know.  I appreciate you explaining it to a 2 year old.  Whew, no more stressing over this 🙂

Just a hint that if they are still giving out the Patter on your cruise on the back near the bottom are directions for logging into the ships wifi.  

My husband is early 70's and he used my old iPhone 6S on our cruise with just wifi, he has since gone back to his flip phone but it was nice while it lasted.

Don't forget to put it in airplane mode..........

• Like 1

17 hours ago, cruzin4us said:

I'm rooming with a friend and I'd like to wear earbuds so as not to disturb her with the TV on.   

No one has addressed this yet, but not just your room mate will thank you for being considerate of others. You can also listen to your music without disturbing those around you, any time. 

I don't have the 13 yet, but be sure to check the ports for earbud connection. If it is wireless (Bluetooth), that's a simple function to connect under your Settings.  Wifi not needed.

• Like 1

If you booked your cruise with the Princess Plus fare, then unlimited wi-fi internet will be included in your fare.  As mentioned earlier, it is only good for one device at a time, but you can log off one device and then log in the other.  If you need help with this when onboard, you can get help from the attendant at the Internet Café.  

There are two different connections onboard the ship.  There is the ship's intranet which is free and then there is internet which connects you to the 'outside world.'  The internet is not free unless it was included in a Princess Plus fare.  You only need to connect to the ship's intranet to use the features of the Medallion Class app.  There is no limit to the number of devices you can connect to the ship's intranet at any given time.  It is only the ship's internet which limits you to one device at a time.

So, you could connect your iPhone to the ships intranet to order drinks or track others in your party and leave the phone connected the whole time.  At the same time, you can connect your Macbook Pro to the ship's internet and leave that connected the entire time as well.

You should not need to purchase wi-fi for the additional device.

Edited by Daniel A
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Pre-cruise to get the Elite discount. You can purchase on board, if you don't qualify for the discount.

Do you still need to call Princess to do this pre-cruise or can you do it on the medallion precruise?  If so, where in the app?

2 minutes ago, mustgo said:

Do you still need to call Princess to do this pre-cruise or can you do it on the medallion precruise?  If so, where in the app?

Definitely works if you call.

Some have posted here that the app has internet purchase available, some say they don't have it.

The app is amazingly frustrating for many.

If you can't find it on the app, call Princess to order.

13 minutes ago, mustgo said:

It's located under the Ocean Ready Profile on the Medallion App.  If you are a platinum or elite, then you get 50% refunded as OBC when you board.   Click on the MedallionNet to pre-purchase

image.thumb.png.4f47163405e46cfda7f4f7d97703c9fd.png

45 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

If you booked your cruise with the Princess Plus fare, then unlimited wi-fi internet will be included in your fare.  As mentioned earlier, it is only good for one device at a time, but you can log off one device and then log in the other.  If you need help with this when onboard, you can get help from the attendant at the Internet Café.  

There are two different connections onboard the ship.  There is the ship's intranet which is free and then there is internet which connects you to the 'outside world.'  The internet is not free unless it was included in a Princess Plus fare.  You only need to connect to the ship's intranet to use the features of the Medallion Class app.  There is no limit to the number of devices you can connect to the ship's intranet at any given time.  It is only the ship's internet which limits you to one device at a time.

So, you could connect your iPhone to the ships intranet to order drinks or track others in your party and leave the phone connected the whole time.  At the same time, you can connect your Macbook Pro to the ship's internet and leave that connected the entire time as well.

You should not need to purchase wi-fi for the additional device.

This definitely was a perfect detailed description of what I'm looking for.  I want to thank you for this!!!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cruzin4us said:

This definitely was a perfect detailed description of what I'm looking for.  I want to thank you for this!!!

I asked DW to read my reply to you to see if she understood what I was saying.  She didn't understand it.  Can you please explain it to her??  😄📱 💻

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I asked DW to read my reply to you to see if she understood what I was saying.  She didn't understand it.  Can you please explain it to her??  😄📱 💻

To tell you how little I understand this stuff:   I didn't know there was a difference between "intranet" and "internet" until I read your post.   So.....I'm right there with your wife 🙂

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Daniel A said:

So, you could connect your iPhone to the ships intranet to order drinks or track others in your party and leave the phone connected the whole time.  

1 hour ago, cruzin4us said:

To tell you how little I understand this stuff:   I didn't know there was a difference between "intranet" and "internet" until I read your post.   So.....I'm right there with your wife 🙂

If you plan to use your phone to use the Medallion Class app onboard, just be sure to put the phone in airplane mode as soon as you board the ship and before you connect to the ship's intranet.

• Like 1

@cruzin4us I certainly don't want to muddy the water for you, but *if* you decide you want to make some calls or send some texts while you are in port somewhere. just take your phone off of airplane mode and let it connect to the local provider.  Keep in mind that you would need an international calling plan from your normal phone service provider (AT&T, T-Mobile...whoever it may be)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

@cruzin4us I certainly don't want to muddy the water for you, but *if* you decide you want to make some calls or send some texts while you are in port somewhere. just take your phone off of airplane mode and let it connect to the local provider.  Keep in mind that you would need an international calling plan from your normal phone service provider (AT&T, T-Mobile...whoever it may be)

Hopefully, I won't have the need to call anyone.   It's always been my biggest fear of forgetting to turn it on airplane mode!

• Like 1