Key West removed from 12-4 Dream

dallasdan

The residents of Key West voted not to allow large cruise ships to dock there so it has been removed from the itineraries for now. The state is looking into finding a way to override this decision for a second time but as of now it is a cancelled port. We are sailing in Dream Saturday and it was initially on our itinerary but now we have an extra sea day. 

Just checked and Key West is still listed for our April 2022 Dream cruise.  It may well disappear if FL does not prevail on KW to accept cruise ships.  Perhaps their vendors on the island that live off cruise ships may get it overturned.  I have been there several times over the years so no big loss.  Last time we had a cruise to KW and ports beyond, the port was canceled at the last minute due to high winds possibly pinning the ship to the pier and not enough tug power available to free the ship.  We received a small FCC along with returned port fees which many of us used to promptly book another cruise. 

3 hours ago, satxdiver said:

Just checked and Key West is still listed for our April 2022 Dream cruise.  It may well disappear if FL does not prevail on KW to accept cruise ships.  Perhaps their vendors on the island that live off cruise ships may get it overturned.  I have been there several times over the years so no big loss.  Last time we had a cruise to KW and ports beyond, the port was canceled at the last minute due to high winds possibly pinning the ship to the pier and not enough tug power available to free the ship.  We received a small FCC along with returned port fees which many of us used to promptly book another cruise. 

The residents and vendors were pretty much in lockstep with this vote. It wasn't necessarily a close vote when the issue came up. Never say never but it seems unlikely the residents will voluntarily reverse this unless mandated by the courts. 

• Like 1

I thought Florida passed a new law saying the port can't refuse cruise ships, no? And that the cruise lines were generally honoring Key West's preference anyway to avoid any controversy.

https://floridapolitics.com/archives/438656-gov-desantis-tanks-key-west-cruise-rules/

Maybe there was some later court challenge I am unaware of.

16 hours ago, satxdiver said:

....  Perhaps their vendors on the island that live off cruise ships may get it overturned.  I have been there several times over the years so no big loss.....

I had Key West on one of my upcoming cruises, so of course I'm kind of bummed out by not being able to stop there.  But I can't really blame the residents for their decision, and I'm quite sure that the city, restaurants, vendors, etc. get much more revenue from hotel guests who spend multiple days rather than cruise passengers.

• Like 1

Key West does very well without the influx of cruise ship passengers whose only goals are to start drinking at 10 AM  and buy tacky tee shirts and junk souvenirs.

The unique artisan craft shops, art galleries specializing in local artists (i.e.; Irma Quigley) and higher end goods have slowly disappeared as more affluence land based  visitors avoided Key West when cruise ships were ported.

The one higher end gallery that is holding on is the Wyland Gallery.

Edited by Homosassa
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, cruisemom2 said:

I think you're referring to Duval Street.  Key West has much more to offer than that one area.

Yes, and it is so much nicer after the cruise ships have left or not there in the first place.

• Like 2

On 10/8/2021 at 11:06 AM, groundloop said:

I had Key West on one of my upcoming cruises, so of course I'm kind of bummed out by not being able to stop there.  But I can't really blame the residents for their decision, and I'm quite sure that the city, restaurants, vendors, etc. get much more revenue from hotel guests who spend multiple days rather than cruise passengers.

Absolutely!  We just got back from Key West and my credit card statement can attest to this!  But it was soooo worth it.  

• Like 2

On 10/8/2021 at 7:35 AM, LatinaInTexas said:

We had Key West removed some time ago from our 10/23 Dream sailing. Do you normally get port fees returned when you lose a port? Before or after sailing?

On 2 Royal caribbean cruises-  we had Grand Cayman cancelled & we received the Port Fees reimbursed on the daily A/R.  I later learned that Grand cayman preferred NO CRUISE ships & could deny due to weather & having to tender in.