Chic Night Sport Coat, Edge?

lv2cruisgrl

It was a real mix, throughout the ship on our August cruise.  The majority were in resort casual, but some dressed to the nines and looked great.  The Retreat guests were reflective of the ship in general.  We did not dress up, but would have if our trip didn't involve airline travel.  

• Thanks 1

I'm not sure if you consider July recent but I would say about 60% were in jackets.  Another 20% were wearing ties (no jacket) and then 20% were doing Chic Night their way.  This is approximately 8 p.m. in the martini bar area (things tend to get less dressy as the night rolls on right?).

This was just my general observation as I don't really care what people choose to wear.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, lovrccl said:

For those traveled on Edge in Retreat recently are the men wearing sport coats in chic Night? We are getting ready to pack for Oct 16 and will have a sky suite. Wondered how dressy people have been. Thank you!

Just an FYI, evening chic does not apply in Luminae, Blu or the Specialty Restaurants. They are all smart casual every night. Evening chic only applies to MDR.  With that being said you will see a mix.  Personally, we did our tuxes and suits years ago, don’t bring jacket anymore.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dkjretired said:

Evening chic only applies to MDR.

Interesting.  I noticed that you had made this same point in an earlier thread/post.  Is that information from the website or based on your experience on previous cruises.  Just curious to know.

2 hours ago, jgmorgan said:

Interesting.  I noticed that you had made this same point in an earlier thread/post.  Is that information from the website or based on your experience on previous cruises.  Just curious to know.

Both, if you go on the website in the section where they list all the restaurants the dress code is listed for each restaurant in the fleet. The only one listed as evening chic is the MDR. Been that way for several years now.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Phxazzcruisers said:

We no longer take Sport Coats with us on cruises.  Makes packing much easier.  we always wear nice dress pants and long sleeve shirts to dinner.  We are always in Luminae or Specialty restaurants. 

We are on the Edge now and yesterday was chic night.  The majority were not wearing suits or sports coats.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dkjretired said:

Both, if you go on the website in the section where they list all the restaurants the dress code is listed for each restaurant in the fleet. The only one listed as evening chic is the MDR. Been that way for several years now.

The confusion stems from Celebrity's unfortunate habit of publishing statements that lack in clarity, or worse, contradictory statements published elsewhere in its webpages. There is no mention anywhere in the Onboard Dress Code that Evening Chic applies only to the MDR, and the sentence I've highlighted might suggest otherwise. 

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours. The dress code will be enforced at all restaurants. And guests are asked to follow the Smart Casual or Evening Chic dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances. The daily program, delivered to your stateroom and available at the Guest Relations Desk, will be your guide to the correct attire each evening.

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

The confusion stems from Celebrity's unfortunate habit of publishing statements that lack in clarity, or worse, contradictory statements published elsewhere in its webpages. There is no mention anywhere in the Onboard Dress Code that Evening Chic applies only to the MDR, and the sentence I've highlighted might suggest otherwise. 

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours. The dress code will be enforced at all restaurants. And guests are asked to follow the Smart Casual or Evening Chic dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances. The daily program, delivered to your stateroom and available at the Guest Relations Desk, will be your guide to the correct attire each evening.

All your highlighted area means is appropriate code is enforced in each restaurant. That phrase has been discussed a dozen times in the past.  As I stated earlier all the restaurants and their individual dress codes are listed on the web site.  Been that way for close to ten years. Celebrity does in fact write things often with ambiguity.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, dkjretired said:

All your highlighted area means is appropriate code is enforced in each restaurant. That phrase has been discussed a dozen times in the past.  As I stated earlier all the restaurants and their individual dress codes are listed on the web site.  Been that way for close to ten years. Celebrity does in fact write things often with ambiguity.

Yes, ambiguity for sure. 😇

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

Yes, ambiguity for sure. 😇

Another ambiguity that has caused problems for years and many threads has to do with Blu. They write on the web site that if you have an AQ cabin that you have access to Blu. They don’t say the truth, if you book AQ, Blu is your assigned dining room, you do not have a seat in the MDR.

• Like 3

Gave up on the jacket as soon as it wasn’t required.   Never understood having to wear a jacket, suit, tux or  for dinner in the Caribbean.   It is too darn hot.  Wear a jacket into the dining room and take it off as soon as you sit down. What is the purpose?

Same in the theater.  Wear a suit to sit there in the dark.  After dinner I would immediately go back to the cabin and change into something more comfortable.

That is me.   If anyone wants to dress up that is their choice.   The fashion police are being defunded and don’t enforce anything except men wearing shorts, wife beaters and t shirts for evening dining.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, bloomcruisers said:

The only exception may be if invited to dine with the captain. I don’t know if they are even doing that now since sailing restarted. But when we did it fairly recently pre-covid, the invitation specified dress code included jacket and tie for the men.

I find that request a bit odd considering evening chic doesn't require a jacket and a tie isn't even mentioned.

Just now, canderson said:

Bit of respect?  Decorum?

Odd?

I'm not implying that one shouldn't dress in a certain manner to be dining with the captain and I personally haven't had the invitation extended to me, so I'm not familiar with the logistics. In other words, my impression was that invitations to dine with the captain or other senior officers are done on board, not extended prior to boarding.  If that is the case, how does one know to bring the appropriate dress when it's not required? Previous to the Evening Chic changes, a jacket and tie was required on Formal Night for everyone, so the presumption was that if an invitation was extended on board to dine with the captain or other senior officers you would have the appropriate dress.  Now with Evening Chic, it's not automatic that men would have a jacket and tie.  If on the other hand, one is notified that on your upcoming cruise that you're being invited to dine with senior officers, then you would be alerted to bring the appropriate dress.  Does my question make sense to you now?

• Like 2

@kwokpot

Yes, it does, now that you explained your issue further.  Guess it argues for packing one outfit appropriate to the occassion!  Some pax should operate on the assumption of a likely invite, but I see how many others could be caught unaware of the requirement.  Not "odd" (that's the word that threw me a curve), but certainly a potential conundrum. 

7 hours ago, canderson said:

I see how many others could be caught unaware of the requirement. 

And most of us, who are only Classic members and are not in suites, will never need to wonder if Captain Steubing will surprise us with an invite!

2 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

And most of us, who are only Classic members and are not in suites, will never need to wonder if Captain Steubing will surprise us with an invite!

You never know.  It can depend upon the 'status' of your traveling companions and other factors.  One of our X invites occurred many years back on a long TA (which affords more opportunities, too) when we were traveling in a C1 and were still just at Elite level.