\What Is Your Impression of Cruising Holland American in Today’s Times?

mcrcruiser

We like to see some feed back about the  variety & quality of the food  in the MDR ,Buffet  Lido & the  Speciality   dining   venues  .  Also how  do you find the entertainment   variety & quality  .What if any thing do you find different   like the emergency drill ,the boarding process ,is is faster or slower   .Add any thing else that you find  important that other HAL cruisers should know about   before they book & sail on a HAL ship 

• Like 1

If you follow the LIVE threads, a lot of your questions will be answered.

The cruise has just begun for this one and they are providing a lot of information https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2805011-live-and-happy-from-eurodam-october-6-to-30/page/7/?tab=comments#comment-61958189. It’s a very good thread with detail on safety drills, food, specialty dining, etc, etc., etc.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, kazu said:

If you follow the LIVE threads, a lot of your questions will be answered.

The cruise has just begun for this one and they are providing a lot of information https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2805011-live-and-happy-from-eurodam-october-6-to-30/page/7/?tab=comments#comment-61958189. It’s a very good thread with detail on safety drills, food, specialty dining, etc, etc., etc.

Yes we see that thread  & it's  focus id the Eurodam   . We want to hear from folks on other HAL ships as well 

6 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

Yes we see that thread  & it's  focus id the Eurodam   . We want to hear from folks on other HAL ships as well 

There’s only 2 ships sailing with a 3rd starting shortly (Koningsdam).  So the only experiences right now are on the N Amsterdam & Eurodam.  There are LIVE threads for both of them.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

We are currently sailing on Nieuw Amsterdam and having a great time. Food has been good, crew is outstanding, shows and live entertainment are great,

Used the Navigator App today to read several newspapers and there is also a selection of magazines.

Bottom line is one has to make a decision if they want to go cruising under present protocols. On this cruise the majority of folks are adhering to mask. Yes there are some who loosely comply. 

One has to trust science and the vaccine’s and  the protocols in place. This ship has been actively cruising since late July and still going.

If your going to sail and be scared then I would think it best to stay home.

For us we made the right decision and we are so happy to be at sea.

We can’t convince you to cruise, that’s your decision.

• Like 14

1 hour ago, mcrcruiser said:

Unfortunately, there are only 2 ships currently sailing, so you wouldn't have answers for other vessels.

L.

100% agree with aliaschief.  We cruised on the Nieuw Amsterdam in July and had a wonderful Cruise and were so happy to be back Sailing on a Dam Ship.  Right now, we're looking forward to the Rotterdam on November 10th with three more booked after that one.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Aliaschief said it.  idiebabe seconded it and I third it.  We sailed on the Nieuw Amsterdam this summer. Trusted the vaccine, the protocols and HAL.  Never spent even a minute second-guessing our decision.  Food, service and entertainment equaled or even surpassed what we have come to expect.

I'm a baby boomer (but still in double digits).  Covid-19 squashed almost two years of cruises and land trips.  The clock is ticking.  Not waiting for my end of January cruise.  Sailing Koningsdam before then, and two more are on the books.

Everyone's risk and comfort level is different, so I hope you do whatever brings you peace.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, aliaschief said:

We are currently sailing on Nieuw Amsterdam and having a great time. Food has been good, crew is outstanding, shows and live entertainment are great,

Used the Navigator App today to read several newspapers and there is also a selection of magazines.

Bottom line is one has to make a decision if they want to go cruising under present protocols. On this cruise the majority of folks are adhering to mask. Yes there are some who loosely comply. 

One has to trust science and the vaccine’s and  the protocols in place. This ship has been actively cruising since late July and still going.

If your going to sail and be scared then I would think it best to stay home.

For us we made the right decision and we are so happy to be at sea.

We can’t convince you to cruise, that’s your decision.

We purposely made our cruises in Dec 2022 for B2B  on the New Princess  Discovery & then Jan 31 ,2023  18 night Koningsdam to Hawaii with a last cruise on Carnival Panorama April 2023  .These are booked What we are hoping for is a more back to normal  conditions by those cruise dates . Prior to that we have a road trip the end of this month of October   for a week to Palm Desert time share & visiting relatives in that area   . May of 2022 we have a driving trip to  Moab Utah to see Arches & Canyon Lands National Parks    & Dead horse State park  . After that one we have another trip to  Tucson ,Tombstone  ,Chandler & Scottsdale AZ  .We own time shares & we have weeks to spend   .

We alter between road trips & cruises .Seems to work well for us that way 

For Thanksgiving &  Christmas we go to our daughters nome where all our adult children grand Children & great grand children will be there ,We will celebrate our 60th wedding anniversary with family & friends 

Edited by mcrcruiser
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, idiebabe said:

100% agree with aliaschief.  We cruised on the Nieuw Amsterdam in July and had a wonderful Cruise and were so happy to be back Sailing on a Dam Ship.  Right now, we're looking forward to the Rotterdam on November 10th with three more booked after that one.  

We have done a lot of cruising in the past with our upcoming cruises we will be well over 90 cruises  . what we are looking for is the  differences people see while this virus  is hanging around .Certainly ,we would like it to disappear 

We wear a mask while moving around and remove when sit down for a cocktail or meal, no self service in Lido or Neptune, no towel animals, no fruit in room, they discourage and don’t want Roll Call Slot Pulls, asked us to keep M&G under 70 people and no cookies, coffee. The wooden curly tooth picks for martini garnishes no more, no sip and savor, no appetizers in lounges. Neptune Suites no corsages on Gala nights.

Don’t see ever returning to normal but for us onboard it’s the normal wonderful cruise experience we cherish.

At our M&G yesterday all we heard was how great it was to be back cruising.

Congratulations on the upcoming 60th Anniversary!

• Like 2

To our OP maybe the main issue if I was in my eighties is scheduling and finding places for pre testing and meeting Covid protocols. Just a suggestion but maybe children, grandchildren, neighbors, fellow church group members could help both of you with pre cruise requirements. It can seem overwhelming but if one has technology on their side the pre cruise testing can be quite simplified.

I hear your need to want to cruise but you may need a little assistance to get there. Yesterday at our M&G  we met a man who had just celebrated his 97 birthday and was so happy to be cruising again.

Please excuse me if I’m wrong but I sense your main issues are with the protocols in place. I don’t feel there going away soon. So if you want to cruise it’s fun again out here. If necessary ask someone for some help to get here. Seeing a lot of us elderly people on this cruise and if they weren’t wearing mask would be wearing Cheshire Cat smiles.

• Like 9

I agree with others who have posted. Our Nieuw Amsterdam sailing this past August was the best cruise we have ever taken despite the covid restrictions, testing, and MDR changes. We loved the EXC talks, the food was good (though the menu choices were somewhat downgraded which I am currently forgiving due to supply chain issues). If you are interested I did a detailed live thread with lots of photos of the meals and details on boarding, etc. 

This was the first sailing for HAL with masks and testing required and we got about a week and a half of notice that this was going into place. We are lucky to have great testing availability in Seattle (I realize some places are not as fortunate as we are in this regard). We are also extremely used to wearing masks here and have done so for over the last year. It did not detract one bit from my vacation, and I understand a lot of people cancelled due to the requirements. We never waited in a line of more than 4 or 5 people in the lido. My mom and I loved the trip so much we are on the exact same sailing next year on the Eurodam, and I have a couple solo cruises planned before that. 

Cruising right now is not for everyone and flexibility is an absolutely must. The health and safety protocols and requirements change and sometimes rapidly. I would not encourage anyone to even book a cruise now who is not willing to accept this and go with the flow. While testing, etc. is currently through December I would not be surprised to see them extended (though none of us really know). Regardless of what we think of these they are what they are. I for one am happy to be sailing again and will be making up for lost time. I plan on meeting all of the requirements, whatever they are by the time my cruise comes, and will enjoy every second onboard. 

• Like 4

20 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

We have done a lot of cruising in the past with our upcoming cruises we will be well over 90 cruises  . what we are looking for is the  differences people see while this virus  is hanging around .Certainly ,we would like it to disappear 

I agree with the others who mentioned that if you read the "Live" Threads as well as Post-Sailing Reviews which also included contributions from other Cruisers they answer the specifics such as Boarding Process, what's different since Pre-Covid, etc.  If you have something else you would like to know that wasn't covered, then ask!   

What I'm seeing from the "Lives" & Post-Sailing Reviews is that the majority who have Sailed since Cruises resumed feel the same as I do and that they are enjoying their Cruises and are very happy to be back Onboard!

If someone wants Cruising right now to be exactly as it was Pre-Covid and can't enjoy their Cruise under the Protocols in place, then they shouldn't Cruise at this time!   

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, aliaschief said:

We wear a mask while moving around and remove when sit down for a cocktail or meal, no self service in Lido or Neptune, no towel animals, no fruit in room, they discourage and don’t want Roll Call Slot Pulls, asked us to keep M&G under 70 people and no cookies, coffee. The wooden curly tooth picks for martini garnishes no more, no sip and savor, no appetizers in lounges. Neptune Suites no corsages on Gala nights.

Don’t see ever returning to normal but for us onboard it’s the normal wonderful cruise experience we cherish.

At our M&G yesterday all we heard was how great it was to be back cruising.

Congratulations on the upcoming 60th Anniversary!

I agree with this and other posts. We’re on the Eurodam now and very happy with everything. The food (have dined in all venues) and service have been outstanding. The MDR menus are a bit repetitive, but you can find something you like easily elsewhere. 
Contrary to Bruce’s experience, here on the Eurodam we’ve gotten corsages every Gala night. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

I agree with this and other posts. We’re on the Eurodam now and very happy with everything. The food (have dined in all venues) and service have been outstanding. The MDR menus are a bit repetitive, but you can find something you like easily elsewhere. 
Contrary to Bruce’s experience, here on the Eurodam we’ve gotten corsages every Gala night. 

Corsages?  I just left the ship on Oct 6th after 24 days and I never saw a corsage.  Where did you receive them?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Red Haired Lady said:

Corsages?  I just left the ship on Oct 6th after 24 days and I never saw a corsage.  Where did you receive them?

Cruising-along cruised in Europe.  Seems the Alaska cruises didn’t have them.  They are a perk for Neptune Suites - basically a carnation with some added stuff 😉 

53 minutes ago, kazu said:

Cruising-along cruised in Europe.  Seems the Alaska cruises didn’t have them.  They are a perk for Neptune Suites - basically a carnation with some added stuff 😉 

I also cruised in Europe (and Alaska) and I just left the Eurodam on Oct 6th.  Met Carolyn at the Meet and Greet.  But I must have missed the post about the carnations for Neptune Suites.  As a solo traveller, I do not book suites. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Red Haired Lady said:

Hi Janet! It was great meeting you. 

I hope your trip home wasn’t too grueling with the last minute change of port. 
I was referring to AliasChief’s comment about Neptune Suites and corsages. We never wore ours, but added them to the flowers I bring to the cabin from various ports. 

• Like 1