The Daily for Saturday October 09, 2021

richwmn

Hello everyone,

Back home from our cruise, from leaving cabin to front door was 40 minutes this morning. I had an enjoyable cruise and am ready to go again. I felt comfortable with the procedures and distancing, some masks were worn even in areas not mandated and I only saw one argumentative passenger. There's always one right!!!

I have to catch up with the daily postings now.

If you're on the fence about cruising my recommendation is to go for it. It's a different experience now but still restful and invigorating at the same time. 

Mary

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

@Sea Viewer happy to know your cruise went well. Are you going to write a review?

No review this time, this was the first cruise with my husband using a powered mobility scooter and I was concentrating on that. The lower passenger count did mean that access to elevators was great 👍

Mary

• Like 12

Good morning!!  We are currently at a bar at TIA waiting for boarding our flight to San Diego. I’m out of CC jail for the time being, I have to remember to log out at the end of the day. Such a bummer. 

Here’s to a fantastic cruise with my Daily friends Maxine, Linda, and Jane!

AE568FFC-C1E5-4F72-8349-7A4B72106B19.thumb.jpeg.b1beaf268a88cc77e5280c1bf089e912.jpeg

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 25

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Good days. Curious events are curious. Fire Prevention is a must. A salute to Leif Erikson.

Great quote.

Good meal, drink and wine.

I've not been to Quebec City. Thanks for the pictures.

It's kind of a cool, gloomy, sometimes rainy day here. I'll do some inside sorting and organizing I think.

@cat shepard Glad to hear your friend is doing well, even though the treatment is harsh.

@Heartgrove Sue is very talented!

@mamaofami So sweet that Sam misses you. Hope all goes well without an aide.

@StLouisCruisers Wow, so many animals on your walk. 

@Sea Viewer Welcome home. Glad you had a good cruise.

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

Good morning from central Texas.  We decided to do a drive-thru breakfast and a quick stop at the store.  Then, had to start the second load of laundry.  

We're also watching the big Texas-Oklahoma game from the Cottonbowl in Dallas.  UT scored on the first play with a 75-yard run.  Halfway through the first quarter, the score is UT - 14, OU - 7, but with this rivalry, anything can happen and it's a long time until the end of the 4th quarter.

🦃 HAPPY THANKSGIVING WEEKEND 🦃 to all the Canadian Dailyites.

Frie prevention should be practiced everyday.  Curious events and Lief Erikson days are good too.

I like the quote.  We'll pass on the meal and the drink.  The Pinot Noir sounds good.

@cat shepard  Ann, such good news that your friend is almost cancer free, but sad that she had such a bad time with the treatment.  Glad she is home and regaining strenght.

@mamaofami  Carol, sending good wishes for an easy time the next couple of days.

@lindaler  Linda, what a great picture!  Thanks.

@Sea Viewer  Welcome back and glad you had a great cruise.

We have been to Quebec City four times by ship.  In 2004,  we were there on the old Regal Princess doing b2b out of NYC..  In 2013 on the Veendam we were there for a total of six days as we were doing b2b roundtrips out of Boston.  Since Quebec City was the turnaround day, we had the day before and the day after the turnaround.  The difference in the crowds in Augus/September and October was amazing, with August/September being much less crowded.   My pictures are from the 2013 stops

In 2004 , we visited Montorency Falls, and in 2013, we visited the Bascillica St. Anne de Baupre.  I'll add some pictures inside to @dfish Debbie's picture of the outside.

Looking from the front of the church toward town

DSC00127.thumb.JPG.65150ed40e0e64ab5f95c285d09614e7.JPG

One of the pillars with the crutches and canes left by those who said they were crued

DSC00129.thumb.JPG.a0b1321297b972796aeb0b8a1bf5e040.JPG

This caught my eye and showed they were prepared for a lot of visitors and pilgrims.

DSC00122.thumb.JPG.e12c65613c353b5aee765e5f0d69fdeb.JPG

The main altar

DSC00133.thumb.JPG.d4d1aaf05dd51804ed3ec2877f1891f2.JPG

We rented a car both times in 2013.  These pictures show how uncrowded town was as we walked to the car rental agency.

DSC00106.thumb.JPG.c0cff1dc49b9fc7580fa0f9aaa4d3a4f.JPG

DSC00107.thumb.JPG.f9e303d1f4057e431017b8167414a14e.JPG

When we left the Bascillica, we drove along the St. Lawrence.

DSC00147.thumb.JPG.8c448b2250b253674bb74e8dea7f00f8.JPG

DSC00149.thumb.JPG.cfb590958d34d6f20601ef440498647a.JPG

Pictures later in the day in Quebec City.  There were more people, but not near the crowds we encountered in October 2004.

DSC00160.thumb.JPG.76d7a78e7204b05cd861021de4d5683d.JPG

DSC00162.thumb.JPG.7c6629dc569732d032ac7cd3bd8caaa7.JPG

DSC00164.thumb.JPG.7327ef39279ebec103f7e035175459b4.JPG

Battle Field Park on the Plains of Abraham, and the Veendam taken from the overlook

DSC00155.thumb.JPG.2cef7a69747abc54bd3286e76ca31ea4.JPG

DSC00173.thumb.JPG.13d203cb826a2a13854a1b8aa910bfb3.JPG

One day we drove to Saguenay and another along the far side of the river to cross back at Three Rivers, before returning to Quebec City.  Along the way, we found a farmers market and stopped to look around.

DSC00455.thumb.JPG.bc38ea201cb98294e3d0493ebe1dd3b1.JPG

DSC00456.thumb.JPG.fa5e31d9b389e7772d586591302c9889.JPG

Lenda

Quick update -- UT - 28 and OU - 17 at the top of the 2nd quarter.

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good morning!!  We are currently at a bar at TIA waiting for boarding our flight to San Diego. I’m out of CC jail for the time being, I have to remember to log out at the end of the day. Such a bummer. 

AE568FFC-C1E5-4F72-8349-7A4B72106B19.thumb.jpeg.b1beaf268a88cc77e5280c1bf089e912.jpeg

Have a smooth flight and a great cruise!

• Like 10

59 minutes ago, Sea Viewer said:

Hello everyone,

Back home from our cruise, from leaving cabin to front door was 40 minutes this morning. I had an enjoyable cruise and am ready to go again. I felt comfortable with the procedures and distancing, some masks were worn even in areas not mandated and I only saw one argumentative passenger. There's always one right!!!

I have to catch up with the daily postings now.

If you're on the fence about cruising my recommendation is to go for it. It's a different experience now but still restful and invigorating at the same time. 

Mary

Glad to hear you had an enjoyable cruise.  Welcome home 🙂 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Good to see you again! We do not judge spelling or grammatical errors here. 

We might question some. And giggle at others. Such as someone saying they had to move their “ponies” before starting their renovation project.  Finally figured out they meant “peonies”. 😎

I resemble that remark!

• Like 2
  • Haha 12

1 hour ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Have a great cruise!

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Sharon in AZ said:

I expect by now you are at least on the plane.  Welcome to San Diego.

Roy

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

@dfish Debbie we loved St Ann's. The crutches and canes hanging on the pillars moved me. I had some beautiful pictures inside and out of the basilica..

However..

I had gotten a message saying I needed to buy more space for my pictures on my computer and I put it off and lost many pictures from 2017 to 2020. 

Oh, my!   I'm sorry you lost those pictures.  I save to the cloud and also to a flash drive.   It is nice to have back up.

I was really intrigued with St. Anne's.  I didn't realize the area was so prone to earthquakes that they used a rubber mortar between the bricks so the building could move without damage.  Really interesting.  

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, dfish said:

Oh, my!   I'm sorry you lost those pictures.  I save to the cloud and also to a flash drive.   It is nice to have back up.

I was really intrigued with St. Anne's.  I didn't realize the area was so prone to earthquakes that they used a rubber mortar between the bricks so the building could move without damage.  Really interesting.  

Debbie, I did not know that about the area and earthquakes.  Using rubber mortar sounds like a good solution.

2 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

@Sea Viewer happy to know your cruise went well. Are you going to write a review?

Jeez, I'd better get to Farmer's market before it closes!

Joy, I'm sorry about the loss of your pictures.  It seems like I may have lost some pictures, but not all the last few years.  It all started with an update to my iPad that wiped all the pictures off the device.  Then, we had a very hard time reloading them, and I found somethings added to a couple of picture files that were not supposed to be there.  After that, I quit putting pictures on my iPad.  If I ever finish going thrugh all my pictures, I'll put them on my tablet.  I also backup the pictures on an external hard drive.

• Like 7

@Seasick Sailorand @Quartzsite Cruiser...I did something really dumb with my photos.  I had prints made in order to put together travel scrapbooks.  And then I deleted the photo files because I was just too darn stubborn to pay the extra Apple fee for more storage.  While I love my scrapbooks, there is nothing left to send to people or post on a nice thread like this one.  On rare occasions, I'll take a picture of a picture and post that, but of course quality is very poor that way.

So folks at home, treasure those photo files.  You never know when you will want or need them.

In other news, super excited to be stepping on the beautiful Koningsdam tomorrow with a a few of my sweet Daily friends.  😍   As usual, I'm totally disorganized because we're not having to fly to meet the ship.  Extra suitcases, hanging bags, superfluous wine...it's all strewn around the house.  But the weather is beautiful today in San Diego for those arriving in town.  👍

Okay...back to packing.  Wishing all a lovely afternoon/evening.  

Many thanks to our Daily contributors.  🛳️

• Like 19

20 minutes ago, kb4683 said:

@Quartzsite Cruiser Lenda — you are so right….now it’s tied up 🏈

14 minutes ago, kb4683 said:

😱OMG   OU just scored again!  Thought Texas had the game sewed up!

With these two teams, as my favorite philosopher Yogi Berra, used to say, "It ain't over til it's over".  

We made the mistake of going outside.

UT just scored!  TIED!

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

@Seasick Sailorand @Quartzsite Cruiser...I did something really dumb with my photos.  I had prints made in order to put together travel scrapbooks.  And then I deleted the photo files because I was just too darn stubborn to pay the extra Apple fee for more storage.  While I love my scrapbooks, there is nothing left to send to people or post on a nice thread like this one.  On rare occasions, I'll take a picture of a picture and post that, but of course quality is very poor that way.

So folks at home, treasure those photo files.  You never know when you will want or need them.

In other news, super excited to be stepping on the beautiful Koningsdam tomorrow with a a few of my sweet Daily friends.  😍   As usual, I'm totally disorganized because we're not having to fly to meet the ship.  Extra suitcases, hanging bags, superfluous wine...it's all strewn around the house.  But the weather is beautiful today in San Diego for those arriving in town.  👍

Okay...back to packing.  Wishing all a lovely afternoon/evening.  

Many thanks to our Daily contributors.  🛳️

If you have a scanner or access to one, you can scan the prints into your computer.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1