Good News for mixed vaccines ... finally

CruisinFinsUp

21 hours ago, Fouremco said:

That's what I suspected, but thanks for confirming. These are great examples of the difficulties faced by many Canadians other than cruisers but not given much if any recognition.

I know right??!!??  Travel is not just for leisure - there are more than just cruisers and snowbirds and shoppers that want to goto the US.    
Our government and our media seem to be ignoring those of us with this issue.  

Businesses are being affected by this!  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PGCruiser2 said:

British Columbia is 82 % fully vaccinated and rising. Vancouver is there cruise port and requires fully vaccinated passengers or they won't be able to debark. This is for the pleasure and safety for all. Mixing vaccinations turned out to bring strong efficacy and very successful The answer if necessary is to give those folks a 3rd shot so that they will have 2 of same shot of Pfizer or Moderna,  Giving Astra Zeneca proved to save many lives when vaccine was in low supply in Canada. 

Our land borders are open to the USA and require proof of being fully vaccinated and a negative Covid test result within 48 hours of crossing.

Lets Cruise 🙂

Actually only 73% of BC is fully vaccinated as at Oct 8, which is still great!  BC may or may not make a 3 rd shot available, there’s been a wafflling in the last few days. Ontario has said nothing about providing the 3rd shot for travel for some reason.  
We can only hope that the rules change about a mixed vaccine that contains an AZ shot. Only then can we cruise out of the US. 

2 hours ago, Fouremco said:

My point is that the CDC recognizes vaccines actually approved by the WHO. The fact that they have evidence of whatever magnitude doesn't mean a thing until they take the next step of approving a vaccine mix. What they say at press conferences - and there was some confusion as to what was actually said or meant - has little bearing on the list of approved vaccine.

I never said that the CDC doesn’t follow approvals by the WHO. Just trying to look on the bright, positive side of the situation.  The WHO seems to like the mixing of vaccines using AZ. Can only hope they approve the mixture in the near future.  Some of what the WHO said at the press conference was taken out of context by the media. The WHO clarified their position later. Like I said, just trying to find the positive that will benefit everyone.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, ladysail2 said:

Like I said, just trying to find the positive that will benefit everyone

Unfortunately, pinning your hopes on a maybe isn't going to benefit anyone. Personally, I'm hopeful that mixed vaccines will eventually receive WHO approval. That will require examination of formal peer reviewed studies, and won't happen overnight. But when that will actually happen is simply speculation. Let's not count chickens till they're hatched.

Edited by mom says
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, ladysail2 said:

Actually only 73% of BC is fully vaccinated as at Oct 8, which is still great!  BC may or may not make a 3 rd shot available, there’s been a wafflling in the last few days. Ontario has said nothing about providing the 3rd shot for travel for some reason.  
We can only hope that the rules change about a mixed vaccine that contains an AZ shot. Only then can we cruise out of the US. 

According to Adrian Dix, 88.6% of those 12+ have had one dose and 88.2% of 12+ are fully vaxxed. This was his tweet as of Oct 8th.

48 minutes ago, bcwife76 said:

According to Adrian Dix, 88.6% of those 12+ have had one dose and 88.2% of 12+ are fully vaxxed. This was his tweet as of Oct 8th.

🤷‍♀️ My stats are from Covid19tracker.ca.  As of today at 3:39 PM.  I don’t make it up. Take a look yourself.

1 hour ago, mom says said:

Unfortunately, pinning your hopes on a maybe isn't going to benefit anyone. Personally, I'm hopeful that mixed vaccines will eventually receive WHO approval. That will require examination of formal peer reviewed studies, and won't happen overnight. But when that will actually happen is simply speculation. Let's not count chickens till they're hatched.

I know what it all needs. Just trying for a positive outcome.  👍

31 minutes ago, ladysail2 said:

🤷‍♀️ My stats are from Covid19tracker.ca.  As of today at 3:39 PM.  I don’t make it up. Take a look yourself.

Your stats are likely for all residents, and would include those under age 12 who can't be vaccinated. Most provincial stats likely show a similar spread. I think Ontario's spread is now only 10-11%. 

33 minutes ago, mom says said:

Your stats are likely for all residents, and would include those under age 12 who can't be vaccinated. Most provincial stats likely show a similar spread. I think Ontario's spread is now only 10-11%. 

It does include all residents.  BC is doing well. 

4 minutes ago, ladysail2 said:

It does include all residents.  BC is doing well. 

And I think that is the main take away here, that yes we are doing well in BC. Except Northern Health, which is just over 50% fully vaccinated from what I last heard 

20 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

FWIW, according to CTV's latest (October 😎 stats for BC, 88.8% of the eligible population (12+) have received at least one dose.  

Overall for BC, 79.7% have at least one dose and 73.6% are fully vaccinated.

Too late to edit, but CC converted eight bracket into 😎 

Sorry about the confusion!

2 hours ago, ladysail2 said:

Deleted. Other comments made the same point. 

Edited by gnome12

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, schiff1997 said:

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/cdc-director-us-may-update-definition-full-vaccination-covid-19-2021-10-22/

Sure hope this doesn’t happen anytime soon, it’s never ending .   

Assuming the pandemic does not end shortly, it is only a matter of time that CDC will change the rules to include a booster requirement after a period of time from your second vaccination.  The evidence is showing that the effectiveness wanes over a period of time.  As a result, the cruiselines may add a requirement to have a booster a specified number of months after the second dose.

I suspect the same thing will be here in Canada, where we will all need to get a booster in Canada.

• Like 2

This is how I see things.

Initially it was decided upon pretty quickly that getting vaccinated was our "way out of the pandemic" and so the CDC was quick to decide on vaccines, vaccines doses, etc.

When they created the initial conditional sail order they put in vaccinations.

Look how long it took to have them change to mixed doses - it took a while because they needed to look at research, etc.

I feel like the same thing will happen with boosters. They will need to gather information, look at results, cases, etc before deciding on a new rule.

I think it will happen but not so quick that it will negatively affect Canadians who may not be able to get a booster shot quickly.

I have hope 🙂

• Like 1

I've been somewhat skeptical on the real need for boosters in the general population. It's my suspicion that much of the booster boosting 😉 is being done by commercial interests. As long as vaccinations offer something above 75% protection from hospitalization I doubt boosters will become a requirement.

Certainly boosters are important and necessary for some segments of the population.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, broberts said:

I've been somewhat skeptical on the real need for boosters in the general population. It's my suspicion that much of the booster boosting 😉 is being done by commercial interests. As long as vaccinations offer something above 75% protection from hospitalization I doubt boosters will become a requirement.

Certainly boosters are important and necessary for some segments of the population.

Agreed. There are numerous studies that suggest that it's premature to start providing booster shots to the general population. This recent article covers the subject quite well: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/13/health/covid-vaccine-booster-lancet.html

• Like 1