Question about cruising with birth certificate.

kj329

My wife and I are cruising in November on the Koningsdam. We have to cruise with birth certificates because our passports expired and with how long they are taking, we can't get new ones in time. It is a close circuit cruise, so we can use our birth certificates. I was thinking about this, and I wondered if my wife would have a problem. Like most married women, her last name is different than what is on her birth certificate. Will this be a problem? has anyone used a birth certificate with a name that is different than their ID? Thanks. 

If your cruise starts and ends in the same US port, it is called a closed circuit cruise and you do not need a passport. We are doing the California coastal out of San Diego. I plan on bringing our marriage certificate just in case. Just wanted to know if anyone else had done this and what they did. 

Yes, I did. 2019 out of San Diego. Packing the night before and realized passport had expired the previous month. After frantic call to HAL was told I could sail with BC and marriage license. 

I took my expired passport with me anyways.  The port authority lady said it was a "good thing" I had it. Although she didn't exactly say that they would have denied me boarding, it was insinuated. 

1 hour ago, kj329 said:

If your cruise starts and ends in the same US port, it is called a closed circuit cruise and you do not need a passport. We are doing the California coastal out of San Diego. I plan on bringing our marriage certificate just in case. Just wanted to know if anyone else had done this and what they did. 

No, it's called a "closed loop" cruise. And the "no passport" issue applies to most, but not all, roundtrip cruises out of US ports. Cruises involving Costa Rica, for example,  require  passport.

45 minutes ago, 12cruise2 said:

The reason HAL states passports required is because due to any unforeseen circumstances, emergencies, ships may have to go into a foreign port.  Hence, passports may be required for the ship to dock in that port.

If, for some reason, you would need to fly home from a foreign country, a passport will be needed.

8 hours ago, kj329 said:

My wife and I are cruising in November on the Koningsdam. We have to cruise with birth certificates because our passports expired and with how long they are taking, we can't get new ones in time. It is a close circuit cruise, so we can use our birth certificates. I was thinking about this, and I wondered if my wife would have a problem. Like most married women, her last name is different than what is on her birth certificate. Will this be a problem? has anyone used a birth certificate with a name that is different than their ID? Thanks. 

What state do you live in?  Do you live in a state which will issue an enhanced driver license?  (Not a Real ID license, it would have to be an enhanced one.)  Another option would be to look into getting a Global Entry card from TSA.  These suggestions are offered if you have enough time.  

If it were me (and assuming the OP checks to ensure it is one of the closed loop cruises that is covered) I would bring the birth certificate, marriage certificate and expired passport. 

Since the OP already said they have no time to renew their passports, I think we can assume that they understand the value of having them and would get them renewed if they could do it in time. No need for lectures.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

If it were me (and assuming the OP checks to ensure it is one of the closed loop cruises that is covered) I would bring the birth certificate, marriage certificate and expired passport. 

Since the OP already said they have no time to renew their passports, I think we can assume that they understand the value of having them and would get them renewed if they could do it in time. No need for lectures.

I agree.  The passport turnaround time is getting worse all the time.  It is much, much longer than it used to be.  Don't count on getting a passport in the same time frame as 9 or 10 years ago.

These articles from the CBP help pages are applicable to your situation. Due to covid, most countries are making allowances for expired passports. I once had a CBP officer tell me that an expired passport was better than no passport at all. If push comes to shove at check-in, I would definitely request to speak with a supervisor and have these links available. 

LINK TO NAME CHANGE

46921B74-F614-4CB4-9B78-0EB5D3851E50.jpeg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kj329 said:

Your wife must have a documentation linking the name on the birth certificate to the name on the second form of ID (also the name used on the reservation; probably the same).

Please carefully check the requirements for the itinerary on which you are cruising.  Some closed looped cruises will have a mandatory passport requirement because of the ports of call requiring passports for cruise ship passengers.

Also, if you are traveling with minors, HAL also has a requirement for passports for everyone in the party in case of emergency. The requirement is to ensure that the party will be able to travel together.

I think one thing that's pretty  reliable is HAL's advance checkin process.  I have both Nexus and Passport card and have regularly tried checking in with both.  When a passport is really required HAL will not allow you to do it so if OP can check in successfully there should be no problem.  A couple of provisos:

Make sure the birth certificate is original and not  a photocopy.

If you have the expired passport DO take it with you.  If for some reason you need to return from a foreign port you will almost certainly need a passport.  Having an expired passport will certainly make getting an emergency passport both easier and quicker.

Roy

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I'm not lecturing the OP; there are many, many others who read these posts and it's perhaps valuable to the others to provide info as to why passports are needed.  We don't need your input as to valuing our answers.

• Like 1

Years ago my Daughter didn't receive her Passport back in time for the Cruise.  She brought her D.L., Marriage License and Birth Certificate and had no problems.   Since you still have your expired Passports in possession I would bring them, too. 

Have a wonderful Cruise! 

• Like 1

Thank you for your imput. I feel more comfortable now. I just ordered our marriage license and certificate, so we should be covered no matter what. Read a few horror stories about people not getting on and it is enough to make sure you have all your bases covered. Thanks again!

• Like 4

5 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

I find it interesting that all you need is a drivers license in this help response. 

LINK TO CLOSED LOOP CRUISES

EBF90B25-293A-4EC0-B47A-25BF815F1A96.jpeg

If you read closely, it says a driver's license only, if it is an EDL.  Only 6 states issue EDL's (they have a US flag on the front of the license.  Most states issue Real ID driver's licenses, which have a star on the front.  A Real ID driver's license requires a birth certificate to prove citizenship.

1 hour ago, kj329 said:

Thank you for your imput. I feel more comfortable now. I just ordered our marriage license and certificate, so we should be covered no matter what. Read a few horror stories about people not getting on and it is enough to make sure you have all your bases covered. Thanks again!

Typically, the cruise line will not require seeing the marriage certificate at boarding, but the wording from CBP is that at disembarkation "It is recommended" that you have your "bridging document" (marriage license) available, as the agent may request to see it, and having it will lessen the chance of delay in clearing CBP.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

If you read closely, it says a driver's license only, if it is an EDL.  Only 6 states issue EDL's (they have a US flag on the front of the license.  Most states issue Real ID driver's licenses, which have a star on the front.  A Real ID driver's license requires a birth certificate to prove citizenship.

I did see the EDL but, towards the end of the last line, it also mentions a regular drivers license. Just found that odd.  

Also, for those who may have that question, a Real ID (or EDL) is also issued to those with Permanent Resident status. 

Edited by *Miss G*

26 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

I did see the EDL but, towards the end of the last line, it also mentions a regular drivers license. Just found that odd.  

Also, for those who may have that question, a Real ID (or EDL) is also issued to those with Permanent Resident status. 

Actually, it says that all passengers need a birth certificate, and those over 16 require a photo ID (driver's license).  It says you need proof of citizenship "such as EDL, government issued birth certificate, or passport" and if you are over 16 you need a photo ID as well.  The EDL, just like a passport, provides proof of citizenship and photo ID.

• Like 1

I just sailed on the Nieuw Amsterdam from Seattle to Alaska on September 25, 2021, without a passport, since my passport renewal was still taking place (so efficient - with expedited service they "only" took about 16 weeks).

Here is what I took with me:

1. Birth certificate

2. Copy of marriage license

3. Old passport showing my "married" name

4. Global entry card

5. Valid drivers license from Delaware

Everyone from the janitor on up the food chain pawed through and examined various items in my collection. No one could agree on which items were critical - some thought that the Global Entry card trumped all. Some studiously examined my ancient birth certificate, while scribbling down information. Others just thumbed through the pile of documentation, but did not appear to know what to do with me. Eventually I was cleared to board the ship, after about 40 minutes of being passed from person to person. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DE Solo said:

I just sailed on the Nieuw Amsterdam from Seattle to Alaska on September 25, 2021, without a passport, since my passport renewal was still taking place (so efficient - with expedited service they "only" took about 16 weeks).

Here is what I took with me:

1. Birth certificate

2. Copy of marriage license

3. Old passport showing my "married" name

4. Global entry card

5. Valid drivers license from Delaware

Everyone from the janitor on up the food chain pawed through and examined various items in my collection. No one could agree on which items were critical - some thought that the Global Entry card trumped all. Some studiously examined my ancient birth certificate, while scribbling down information. Others just thumbed through the pile of documentation, but did not appear to know what to do with me. Eventually I was cleared to board the ship, after about 40 minutes of being passed from person to person. 

Global Entry helps you re-enter the US, not leave it.

An expired US Passport may get you back into the US; however, you cannot sail with it.

Bring your US state/county issued Birth Certificate (not a commemorative hospital one with your baby footprint)

As far as I know, a legible copy of your BC is acceptable, it no longer has to be an original....and it can be sent/received by fax, e-mail, phone.

David