Formal night on NCL Ships...

SireDoime

I have seen people wearing a tuxedo on Norwegians Night Out, but it's certainly not mandatory. I would say half the ship ignores dressing up on NNO entirely. 

But if you are a tux-loving son of a gun, that's certainly the night to do it. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, CruizinKittie40 said:

I've never understood the need to dress up on vacation

Different strokes for different folks, some people wear very casual clothes most of the year and like to get gussied up on vacation. For others, it's the opposite. When I worked in the office full time, I wore a suit and tie every day. For the last year and a half I've been working at home in jeans and sweatshirts, so dressing up for a cruise was actually a nice change of pace. 😊

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Different strokes for different folks, some people wear very casual clothes most of the year and like to get gussied up on vacation. For others, it's the opposite. When I worked in the office full time, I wore a suit and tie every day. For the last year and a half I've been working at home in jeans and sweatshirts, so dressing up for a cruise was actually a nice change of pace. 😊

I've worked from home for 18 years so I don't even own dress clothes lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, CruizinKittie40 said:

I've never understood the need to dress up on vacation

Maybe it's a person who normally doesn't have chances to dress up and feel good in their normal life.  Nothing hard to understand about it.   Whatever makes you feel good.  🙂

• Like 3

This was me o n CxC Equinox Summer of '19. A lot of folk did get dressed up, because it was picture time with Capt. Kate.

CCI_000017.thumb.jpg.ff5d1eeb4453f01fd6a8333215649043.jpg

WCC.thumb.jpg.62f47ac95c425a9e30955e8b54a97382.jpg

CCI_000022.thumb.jpg.8f8b12d9cd230fc88618337499f66b94.jpg

Should have buttoned my jacket here, with my fat tummy. Just realized I didn't smile, but then again this was the last sea day and I was the only who got dressed up.

Edited by SireDoime
edit
  • Like 13

Bond...SireDoime Bond. You would look great in your tux on any cruise line 😊

On the other hand my husband had missing luggage that contained all his tux attire off a Princess cruise and somehow has never had the urge to replace it. I think he actually felt "whew, glad that's over". I always tell him he didn't inherit any sartorial genes LOL.

• Like 2

You'll see people in all manner of dress on DUON night, and that's okay. Wear whatever makes you happy!  😊 (NCL also has a "date night" where some people dress up a bit.)  We always dress up & have our photo taken so that we have another nice memento from our cruise, and we also like to use one of the photos for our Christmas card.  No cocktail dresses or tuxes, but we dress like we're going to a party, if that makes sense (a non-cocktail one, I guess LOL).  (See our profile picture for an example, if you're interested; it was taken on the Encore in August.)  Most importantly, have fun on your cruise! We'll be on the Bliss in December!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NikiPinkston said:

You'll see people in all manner of dress on DUON night, and that's okay. Wear whatever makes you happy!  😊 (NCL also has a "date night" where some people dress up a bit.)  We always dress up & have our photo taken so that we have another nice memento from our cruise, and we also like to use one of the photos for our Christmas card.  No cocktail dresses or tuxes, but we dress like we're going to a party, if that makes sense (a non-cocktail one, I guess LOL).  (See our profile picture for an example, if you're interested; it was taken on the Encore in August.)  Most importantly, have fun on your cruise! We'll be on the Bliss in December!

I am pretty sure the photo sales are the exact reason some lines cling so hard to formal dress up night.  For the lines it is a sales opportunity.  I find that taking a good picture is more about the smile on my wife and my face then it is about the suit I am wearing, but I cannot deny that those tux pictures above are looking sharp.  

So, basically, do what you like!  Again, that is why I love NCL, they don't force me to dress up, or to not dress up.  You will find folks wearing clothes at the same level as you no matter what level you dress to.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, SireDoime said:

This was me o n CxC Equinox Summer of '19. A lot of folk did get dressed up, because it was picture time with Capt. Kate.

Should have buttoned my jacket here, with my fat tummy. Just realized I didn't smile, but then again this was the last sea day and I was the only who got dressed up.

You look great!!!

• Like 4

5 hours ago, SireDoime said:

Knowing that NCL ships are "Freestyle", do they actually have a designated Formal Night onboard any ship? I'll be on the Bliss in January, and want to know if I should pack my Tux. Thanks

NCL embraces freestyle cruising and the philosophy of "Dress Up or Not". The vast majority of passengers chose not. There are little to no gowns and tuxes on NCL ships.... leave your tux at home. Suits are few and far between too. 

NCL is catering to the contemporary cruiser. Us "old folks" who have been cruising for decades will cruise regardless of what happens on the ship. But the millennials (next generation cruisers) have no interest in getting dressed up in black tie and the cruise lines want a comfortable, vacation environment.  

For a general idea of the Freestyle environment, shorts are allowed in all dining rooms for all meals except dinner in Le Bistro and Ocean Blue where gents are asked to wear long pants (dockers or jeans). 

It is Dress up or Not. If you want to get dressed up, please do. Enjoy!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SireDoime said:

Knowing that NCL ships are "Freestyle", do they actually have a designated Formal Night onboard any ship?

I'll be on the Bliss in January, and want to know if I should pack my Tux.

Thanks

I'd never sail if I needed to be black tie.  And if I wanted to wear a suit I'd go into my office 🙂  Others disagree. 

Agree with others: I've never seen white tie, and over the past years it's a decreasing amount of black tie.  There are a fair number who will do suits so you wouldn't feel out of place but not a majority.   You do you!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SireDoime said:

Absolutely terrific!

You are a great "ad" for why there *should* be at least a few times for formal wear, for those who want to do so.  I suspect that if there were more opportunities, more people might do it.  And that's not just on ships!

Bring your tux if you want, and wear it!  😉

(If you are on a Roll Call, mention it and perhaps a few others will join you.)

And... really nice pose in the champagne shot.  You look like a professional model in that one!

GC

• Like 2