IS This Medallion working the way it was proposed by Princess /Pros & Cons please

mcrcruiser

2 minutes ago, kiwimum said:

I have used my medallion at a restaurant in Cabo San Lucas.  The restaurant had a medallion reader similar if not the same as on the ship.  Your photo shows up on the reader.   Our actual charges were posted on the credit card connected to the medallion with the discount showing as a credit on our onboard account.   Only one individual at the restaurant has access to the reader which can cause a delay in paying.

Just to make sure I have this right, you are saying the actual charge for your restaurant purchase showed up on your credit card and the 7% cash back ended up on your shipboard account? Just trying to understand the pros/cons of using the Medallion ashore. I am returning to the Majestic in a couple weeks. 

29 minutes ago, trishbk said:

Just to make sure I have this right, you are saying the actual charge for your restaurant purchase showed up on your credit card and the 7% cash back ended up on your shipboard account? Just trying to understand the pros/cons of using the Medallion ashore. I am returning to the Majestic in a couple weeks. 

Yes, showed up in the credit card as the name of the restaurant.   The employee with the scanner explained the process prior to starting the transaction.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, kiwimum said:

Yes, showed up in the credit card as the name of the restaurant.   The employee with the scanner explained the process prior to starting the transaction.

I appreciate the explanation. As I understand from your response, you receive the 7% rebate back on your onboard ship account immediately, but the actual transaction is to the credit card on file with Princess. Example, say you go to Solomon's Landing (restaurant in Cabo on the Princess Medallion Plan) and you pay $40 for lunch and drinks. Your credit card is billed $40 and Princess will immediately show $2.80 as a credit on your shipboard account that you could apply to any purchases on the ship. DO I HAVE THAT CORRECT?

5 hours ago, Kmkub said:

Here's a few screen grabs from our recent Enchanted cruise.

xW31VTU.jpg?1

sw7ijfV.jpg?1

xDauRCM.jpg?1

oRbZNMr.jpg?1

Nice screen grabs that demonstrate the benefit of the app on your phone. I loved ordering drinks on my phone. I could be in the Conservatory area in a bamboo type clam shell and they could find me. How much better does that get?? 

I also liked that the Majestic Princess has really good wi-fi when we were there in January. It totally beats the poor wi-fi on Holland America, even their newer ships like Koningsdam. I sail mostly with Holland America and I can tell you that people who paid for the wi-fi on Holland America were always at the front desk demanding a refund for such bad wi-fi. Others have reported on the Majestic that they have been able to conduct conference calls with Princess' wi-fi. Given that we are going again on the Majestic in February and I have some government volunteer work I have to attend to on the cruise, I am grateful knowing that I will have good wi-fi. 

34 minutes ago, trishbk said:

I appreciate the explanation. As I understand from your response, you receive the 7% rebate back on your onboard ship account immediately, but the actual transaction is to the credit card on file with Princess. Example, say you go to Solomon's Landing (restaurant in Cabo on the Princess Medallion Plan) and you pay $40 for lunch and drinks. Your credit card is billed $40 and Princess will immediately show $2.80 as a credit on your shipboard account that you could apply to any purchases on the ship. DO I HAVE THAT CORRECT?

I think it has been clearly posted as to how it works, so obviously you are correct. 

44 minutes ago, trishbk said:

Absolutely and it was Solomons landing we dined.

• Thanks 1

Pleased to post that today I had no issues checking in on the Medallion for our cruise in 36 days on Emerald Princess!  Had a difficult time setting it up the first time for our Enchanted NYE cruise in December.  Had no idea what to expect today but ALL my previous info was still there.  I just checked the terms and conditions for cruise and health and got Green and QR code!!!

And went ahead this time and booked a MDR table for the same time every day for our party of 5.  Didn’t do that on last cruise and had a really bad experience with getting a table.

Happy cruiser 😁

After over 5 weeks of issues DH is all set to board the Enchanted on Feb. 28. On the other hand Medallion still won’t recognize me.   I’ve talked to 3 different reps, and none of them has been able to fix it.  Each time they ensure that it will be fixed—to no avail.  The most recent was on Monday, and she assured me that not only would it be fixed in a day or two but also that she would call me to let me know when it was fixed.  That was on Monday.  Now it’s Friday, and I’m still not linked or recognized. 

3 hours ago, gardenbunny said:

Pleased to post that today I had no issues checking in on the Medallion for our cruise in 36 days on Emerald Princess!  Had a difficult time setting it up the first time for our Enchanted NYE cruise in December.  Had no idea what to expect today but ALL my previous info was still there.  I just checked the terms and conditions for cruise and health and got Green and QR code!!!

And went ahead this time and booked a MDR table for the same time every day for our party of 5.  Didn’t do that on last cruise and had a really bad experience with getting a table.

Happy cruiser 😁

1 hour ago, FritzG said:

After over 5 weeks of issues DH is all set to board the Enchanted on Feb. 28. On the other hand Medallion still won’t recognize me.   I’ve talked to 3 different reps, and none of them has been able to fix it.  Each time they ensure that it will be fixed—to no avail.  The most recent was on Monday, and she assured me that not only would it be fixed in a day or two but also that she would call me to let me know when it was fixed.  That was on Monday.  Now it’s Friday, and I’m still not linked or recognized. 

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times................

I am sure that it is working exactly how Princess intended it to work.  It enables them to track you around the ship.  It keeps track of what you are spending money on.  It enables Princess to send you targeted stuff so you spend more money on the ship.  In the end, isn't that the real reason that Princess attempted (and failed) to develop the Medallion.  You can be sure that they made sure that the stuff I mentioned works perfectly even as other stuff apparently does not work vey well.

DON

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

Not only does Princess have great wifi (relatively speaking) but it's pretty dirt cheap all things considered, and that's even before hitting platinum where it becomes a measly $5 a day.  

Really? I have had the free WiFi on my last Majestic Princess cruise last month. Returning on majestic princess this month. Where would I see what the prices for Wi-Fi if you don’t have the all encompassing package? Asking because between our military benefit, platinum level and carnival cruise stock it may be the way to go instead of paying for the All encompassing package. I believe they got rid of the hundred minutes free for platinum and above. Thank you for letting me know. I am a member of Cruise critic for now two decades and I appreciate all the feedback members give!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

I'm sure someone will give you a more thorough run down, but basically, it is $10 a day and $5 for Platinum and Elite. There are nuisances about the app due to bugs and how you may have to pay $10 for Platinum and Elite and get $5 per day back on the ship as refundable OBC but that is a temporary issue.  Also, if you know anything about Princess, you'll know that it only taked about one long brunch to make all of Platinum on their loyalty program.

Thank you for letting me know. With all of our shipboard credits, it may be logical to just pay for the stuff instead of getting the all encompassing package. Love Cruise Critic members for letting us stay informed and empowering us knowledge so that we may maximize our cruise credits. 

On 2/2/2022 at 11:22 AM, Kmkub said:

Our favorite feature the first two days was the google-maps style "get me there," step-by-step directions to where you want to go from where you currently are.

@Cruise Raider did an excellent summary.

Including your room if you should lose your medallion. 

• 1 month later...

HELP

I downloaded Medallionclass version 3.8 today however, when I went into my iPad settings - general - iPad storage, then I select medallion class and I notice I have version 3.098752. Is this correct?

Our upcoming cruise will be out first using the Medallions.  I can't say I'm thrilled.  It sounds like to access many of the features you would have to carry your phone around all the time.  

I have never used my phone on a cruise--it goes in the safe as soon as we get to the room--and don't want to have to constantly fiddle with it/have to have a place to carry it.  

I guess it will be convenient for opening the cabin door.  We don't buy much, or sometimes anything on a cruise, so all of that stuff does us no good.

The app worked fairly well for our family cruise last week.  Our daughter and her boyfriend found it so helpful that it has decided them to stay with Princess for another cruise in August.

I found it a little inconsistent but the problems weren't severe enough to trash it.

It's working great on the Enchanted. 

Even streaming their movies from the TV selections is working great. I haven't heard anyone comment on that yet. You have to remember the title of which one you want as they don't give you a list.

4 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Is there a button for "find a restroom"??😂

I believe there is, but I am not positive. When you do explore ship or find my companions, it will open up the deck plan where you currently are. From there you can search for places.