IS This Medallion working the way it was proposed by Princess /Pros & Cons please

mcrcruiser

On 10/14/2021 at 6:16 AM, JF - retired RRT said:

A small correction...under most circumstances it's the bank that will suffer from the fraud losses, not the owner of the card.

That depends on the laws in the country in which the card was issued.

5 minutes ago, brisalta said:

That depends on the laws in the country in which the card was issued.

My bank just merged with another and the rules for out of country use changed.  Naturally I didn't read that fine print so mid-cruise my accounts got locked.  Took 2 hours on the phone on Grand Turk to finally get to an American to fix it.  The first hour and a half were with 2 low level security types who kept contradicting each other.  

Just now, cltnccruisers said:

My bank just merged with another and the rules for out of country use changed.  Naturally I didn't read that fine print so mid-cruise my accounts got locked.  Took 2 hours on the phone on Grand Turk to finally get to an American to fix it.  The first hour and a half were with 2 low level security types who kept contradicting each other.  

That has what to do with the laws of the country of issue?

3 minutes ago, brisalta said:

That has what to do with the laws of the country of issue?

The reason I was locked was that the rules for the new bank treated all out of country use as potential fraud.  OK, it's the bank not the country but maybe someone might see my response and think they'd better check with their bank before cruising.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, brisalta said:

Select "Explore the Ship"

Select the ship

Look at the bottom of the page and click on the "Restroom" icon.

Why "Restroom"? Do people actually go there for a nap?

I used to work in a data center with a guy who actually did that whenever a mainframe would crash.  Someone actually took photos and posted them in the lunchroom.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, brisalta said:

Why "Restroom"? Do people actually go there for a nap?

"Bathroom" is equally strange. Yes, many homes have a bath in that room but the ship doesn't. Elsewhere it would often be "Washroom". People do wash there but they do other things as well. Sometimes it is referred to as a "Comfort Station" - often at a roadside rest area. Then there are the time honored classics "WC" and "Loo".  On a ship it should properly be the "Head". One of our sons laughingly refers to it as the "Poopatorium".  A rose by any other name...

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Thrak said:

"Bathroom" is equally strange. Yes, many homes have a bath in that room but the ship doesn't. Elsewhere it would often be "Washroom". People do wash there but they do other things as well. Sometimes it is referred to as a "Comfort Station" - often at a roadside rest area. Then there are the time honored classics "WC" and "Loo".  On a ship it should properly be the "Head". One of our sons laughingly refers to it as the "Poopatorium".  A rose by any other name...

I wish I could give you bonus point for using head.

Fortunately it has been a long time since the head was actually at the head.

Those that know a little bit of nautical history will understand the reference.

3 minutes ago, brisalta said:

I wish I could give you bonus point for using head.

Fortunately it has been a long time since the head was actually at the head.

Those that know a little bit of nautical history will understand the reference.

Yes, I do know why it was "the head". So very glad that isn't the case anymore!

• Like 1

On 10/14/2021 at 8:46 AM, Daniel A said:

On our last pre-pandemic Regal cruise, many of the waiters didn't have medallion readers and they would simply ask you what your cabin number is and write it down on a paper pad with a pencil.  Very high tech if you ask me. 😄

And extremely irritating to me… 

The first time I used one was pre- pandemic and the crew called you by name and charged to your bill etc very smoothly.  This time they seemed too lazy to bother.  Often didn’t even have “ the reader” with them. Just a tablet and a question about your cabin number.  

On 10/13/2021 at 7:09 PM, Thrak said:

The Medallion has only one ability. It contains a unique identifier that is linked to your booking. The sensors on the ship send a signal looking for any medallions in the area. When it finds your medallion the computer looks up the number and knows the person buying the drink or whatever is you. A crew member will know your name by looking at a tablet. Your door will unlock for you when you approach. Throughout it all, the medallion just sits there in your pocket, or however you have chosen to "wear" it.

Compare the medallion to a credit card sitting in your wallet.

The credit card holds a bunch of information such as your account number, your name, and the name of the bank. It just sits there in your wallet and the information is (relatively) safe unless you choose to use it. Lose the card or have it stolen you can kill the card and in maybe 10 business days, receive a new card with a new number. Now you have to fix all of the auto payments you have linked to the old card. If the card is found or stolen you may stand to lose quite a bit due to fraud.

Like the credit cards, the Medallion just sits in your pocket. The medallion contains information that is useless to a thief. and can only be read by specific sensors and software on the ship. That information is a meaningless code number that only links you to the ship computers where all the information about you is safely stored. If you lose your Medallion or it is "stolen" you can go to the Customer Service Desk (I always want to call it the Purser's Desk...) and they will "kill" the original Medallion and give you a new one right there and then.

Great point.

13 hours ago, Thrak said:

In Hawaii, It's da "Lua".