CAN CELEBRITY & FRIENDS TEACH AN OLD DOG NEW TRICKS?

Spif Barwunkel

I am to the point where this stubborn senior guy probably needs a little extra kick-in-the-butt. In all our years of cruising, we have never booked a Sunset Veranda. Always very happy with Aqua or standard balcony, deck 8 or 9, port or starboard, just aft of mid-ship elevators. We have the opportunity to book a SV on deck 8 at a very good price for a 11 night Italy, Turkey, Greek Islands cruise on Reflection in 2022. By far and away, all comments I have read regarding SV cabins are extremely positive. Only a few negatives and nothing really major. DW is all for it but I am not quite there. 

Blu notwithstanding and strictly cabin commentary regarding the itinerary, views and anything else deemed necessary by you good folks, should this old dog try some new tricks? Or should I remain content with paws crossed in my typical floating doghouse? Which, by the way, it might be if I don't come around.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'll add something here, in August, my Bride and I sailed on our first SV cabin on Equinox, western Caribbean....it was so HOT, we never used the balcony...it seemed we were always sailing right with the wind, the balcony had zero air movement...it was also a very long walk to the cabin, I counted around 120 yards from the elevator/stairs.  We spend a lot of time at the Sunset Bar, which compounded the distance.  

I doubt I would book another on an S Class...I certainly wouldn't pay more for it...might consider it for less.   A Cooler climate cruise might change my opinion.  

Edited by PTC DAWG

6 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

I'll add something here, in August, my Bride and I sailed on our first SV cabin on Equinox, western Caribbean....it was so HOT, we never used the balcony...it seemed we were always sailing right with the wind, the balcony had zero air movement...it was also a very long walk to the cabin, I counted around 120 yards from the elevator/stairs.  We spend a lot of time at the Sunset Bar, which compounded the distance.  

I doubt I would book another on an S Class...I certainly wouldn't pay more for it...might consider it for less.   A Cooler climate cruise might change my opinion.  

Good points, DAWG. The distance to elevators is not an issue. But, you mention the heat. Very hot in Greece in July and one is probably always in the sun on a Sunset Balcony. Port and Starboard, only half the day.

The walks to the rest of the ship can be long, but there's nothing like sail away with a nice cocktail or three from the privacy of your aft balcony. The ability to see sites both port and starboard from the railing also counts for something, depending on itinerary. Transatlantic? Probably no quantifiable benefit. Greek Isles? I think so, for sure. I also find the wake of a ship calmingly mesmerizing--not unlike watching the waves crash in at the shore.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RichYak said:

The walks to the rest of the ship can be long, but there's nothing like sail away with a nice cocktail or three from the privacy of your aft balcony. The ability to see sites both port and starboard from the railing also counts for something, depending on itinerary. Transatlantic? Probably no quantifiable benefit. Greek Isles? I think so, for sure. I also find the wake of a ship calmingly mesmerizing--not unlike watching the waves crash in at the shore.

Goes right along with post with post #6.

Just my two cents, but I’d choose an SV for Greek Isles (in fact I have one booked in May 2022). IMO it’s the most romantic cabin one can have without booking a suite. Secure some nibbles from OVC and a bottle of your favorite wine and watch the glorious Mediterranean sunsets with your DW. 

If you haven't tried it, then I would encourage you to take the aft balcony.  I agree that it would pair well with a Greek Isles cruise.  I still remember waking up and seeing Santorini for the first time from our aft balcony.

1909976864_BrillianceoftheSeasinSantorini.thumb.JPG.d2d37fe17b68d3cdeee69abe12ffa457.JPG

4 hours ago, Silkroad said:

Just my two cents, but I’d choose an SV for Greek Isles (in fact I have one booked in May 2022). IMO it’s the most romantic cabin one can have without booking a suite. Secure some nibbles from OVC and a bottle of your favorite wine and watch the glorious Mediterranean sunsets with your DW. 

Careful about exciting this old guy, S.

1 hour ago, mahdnc said:

If you haven't tried it, then I would encourage you to take the aft balcony.  I agree that it would pair well with a Greek Isles cruise.  I still remember waking up and seeing Santorini for the first time from our aft balcony.

1909976864_BrillianceoftheSeasinSantorini.thumb.JPG.d2d37fe17b68d3cdeee69abe12ffa457.JPG

Great shot. If you look close...real close, you can see me sitting on my SV. Or a reasonable facsimile.

We have an aft balcony booked for the Suez Canal cruise (not Celebrity) and I can't wait.  It's the thought of sitting out there watching the wake and seeing both sides of the canal that is helping to get me through this horrible COVID that is affecting people in ways no one ever dreamed of.

26 minutes ago, TeaBag said:

We have an aft balcony booked for the Suez Canal cruise (not Celebrity) and I can't wait.  It's the thought of sitting out there watching the wake and seeing both sides of the canal that is helping to get me through this horrible COVID that is affecting people in ways no one ever dreamed of.

The Suez Canal fits perfectly with an aft balcony.

22 hours ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

I am to the point where this stubborn senior guy probably needs a little extra kick-in-the-butt. In all our years of cruising, we have never booked a Sunset Veranda. Always very happy with Aqua or standard balcony, deck 8 or 9, port or starboard, just aft of mid-ship elevators. We have the opportunity to book a SV on deck 8 at a very good price for a 11 night Italy, Turkey, Greek Islands cruise on Reflection in 2022. By far and away, all comments I have read regarding SV cabins are extremely positive. Only a few negatives and nothing really major. DW is all for it but I am not quite there. 

Blu notwithstanding and strictly cabin commentary regarding the itinerary, views and anything else deemed necessary by you good folks, should this old dog try some new tricks? Or should I remain content with paws crossed in my typical floating doghouse? Which, by the way, it might be if I don't come around.

C'mon Spif you old devil.  Treat yourself and DW.  Forget the SV (although also a good choice). Go for the aft corner S1 Sky Suite.  Go all the way.  Get the Retreat experience.  This Med cruise will be exactly what you need to get back to cruising in style.  

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

C'mon Spif you old devil.  Treat yourself and DW.  Forget the SV (although also a good choice). Go for the aft corner S1 Sky Suite.  Go all the way.  Get the Retreat experience.  This Med cruise will be exactly what you need to get back to cruising in style.  

Yes, to what Rick said! 😁👍🏻

Recently had a SV corner Sky Suite on Silhouette. Fantastic. Loved the port hole. It was a British Isles cruise in late September so did not use the balcony much but allows side and aft viewing. 

It offered a good warm up walk enroute to the gym. 

Have a SV cabin on the Beyond in September😀

Love the SV!   Have it booked for my upcoming Caribbean sailing on Silhouette.  As I do not want to spend the money for Suite on my first sailing on Edge to get standard type veranda, we are booked in SV for Edge in 2023. 

I don’t think where you are going makes a difference and I get more walking on ship.