New Ontario Vaccine Receipts With QR

Fouremco

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

You will need to have the QR code visible on another device or printed. Then using the iPhone Camera app, scan the QR code. You should then see a pop up asking if you would like to add the record to your Health app and your Wallet. Respond and it will add to both locations.

The only thing I've noticed is that when you view it in the Wallet, it only shows my Given and Middle names. I'm not sure if this is purposeful or a bug, but I'll use my Shortcuts until I can find the answer. If you can get it into your Wallet, let us know what happens with your names.

In my wallet it shows my full name but in the health app just first and middle name 🤔

Edited by Airbalancer

On 10/16/2021 at 4:18 PM, AlbertaCruisers said:

For easy access to my QR code, for anyone with an iPhone, I used the instructions on the website below to use the Shortcuts app to put an icon on my first screen called "Vaccination" and when I touch it the screen shot of my QR code comes up.  The code in the screenshot seems to scan (using another iphone at least), but we don't have widespread scanning yet, so I'm not sure.

https://mobilesyrup.com/2021/09/22/heres-how-to-add-your-vaccination-record-as-shortcut-ios-15/

I have headache trying to figure that out 🤪 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fouremco said:

...When I used grassroots to download the document and place it in the Wallet, it automatically appeared on the Watch as well.

I've searched for the 'Grassroots' app, but there are MANY Grassroots apps, and I don't see any that seem to be related to documents! Is there more to the name? Thanks!

4 hours ago, Fouremco said:

You will need to have the QR code visible on another device or printed. Then using the iPhone Camera app, scan the QR code. You should then see a pop up asking if you would like to add the record to your Health app and your Wallet. Respond and it will add to both locations.

The only thing I've noticed is that when you view it in the Wallet, it only shows my Given and Middle names. I'm not sure if this is purposeful or a bug, but I'll use my Shortcuts until I can find the answer. If you can get it into your Wallet, let us know what happens with your names.

Thank you. It got the name right, but then I don’t have a middle name. What it doesn’t show is the Ontario and Canada logos, so I’m not sure it is better than viewing a photo using a shortcut. 

On 10/15/2021 at 4:59 PM, Fouremco said:

Ontario released a new app (Verify Ontario) a couple of days ago to enable businesses to read the QR code, but to date hasn't released an app for storing the QR code. Whether this is still in the works or not I don't know, but in the mean time, keeping a copy elsewhere on your smartphone saves carrying around the printed sheet.

I had my hardcopy 'downsized' and laminated at a local UPS Store to facilitate carry it while travelling, (but, of course, I will travel with my 'hardcopies as well, as a 'backup')!

On 10/15/2021 at 5:11 PM, Froufie said:

This looks perfectly acceptable as it has the dates and vaccine types - why could it not replace the receipts?  Or do they need to be able to 'read/access' the QR code to confirm?  In which case this would only be useful here/locally.

Would have to get the 'cruiselines' to download the Verify app! 🙂

...and now looks like those 'receipts' are no longer available!!!

Can I still use the vaccine receipt I have been using?

Yes, people can continue to use their current vaccine receipt if they prefer that. Businesses are required to accept that as proof of vaccination.

However, people can no longer download these receipts off the province’s online portal

They should have saved the two receipts as a PDF as I did!

2 hours ago, GeriatricNurse said:

I had my hardcopy 'downsized' and laminated at a local UPS Store to facilitate carry it while travelling, (but, of course, I will travel with my 'hardcopies as well, as a 'backup')!

I don't think that this will work with the QR code, because it might be too small to scan.

58 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

I don't think that this will work with the QR code, because it might be too small to scan.

The initial instructions I read were the QR had to be 60mm square. While that may not be strictly necessary one has to be careful that any reduction is done at a high enough resolution that the pattern is not obscured. 

One can verify a reduction using the verify Ontario or Smart Health Verifier app.

On 10/17/2021 at 4:16 PM, ByThePond said:

iOS 15.1 (currently in beta) allows you to scan the Ontario QR code and store it in Apple Wallet. 

Like you, we have it stored there. We have duplicates in a separate album in photos called "Covid", as well as in "Files" on each of our iPhones. We also have a photo of our drivers licence beside the QR code so we don't have to pull it out to show who we are.  They verify the code and then we side to the next image of our DL for proof of identity. Easy peasy. 

We actually had it scanned this Sunday at a hockey game, for our son, near Windsor.  The screaner had just downloaded the app a few days prior and we were her first scans.  

Edited by A&L_Ont

11 hours ago, gnome12 said:

Thank you. It got the name right, but then I don’t have a middle name. What it doesn’t show is the Ontario and Canada logos, so I’m not sure it is better than viewing a photo using a shortcut. 

I really comes down to the purpose you intend to use it for. In Ontario, and more generally in Canada, the QR code is the key element. Restaurants, hockey arenas and other establishments can scan your QR code on your iPhone using the Ontario scanning app and get immediate confirmation. They don't need the Ontario or Canada logos. Those were added to the latest version to meet the standard agreed upon with the feds to have a document for international travel. So I have two versions in my Wallet, one created using the new function in iOS 15.1 and the other with the new Grassroots software, both for daily local use with their QR codes. Then I have the Shortcuts version, which opens up the PDF downloaded from the Ontario MOH website. It shows everything, and is now my go to version for any purpose. For cruises, I'm not sure what is acceptable right now, but I'll take my original documentation from each of my shots.

11 hours ago, gnome12 said:

I don’t believe the Grassroots version works anymore now that provinces are supplying QR codes directly. 

They have a new version. I used it yesterday with no problem.

3 hours ago, gnome12 said:

2 hours ago, broberts said:

The initial instructions I read were the QR had to be 60mm square. While that may not be strictly necessary one has to be careful that any reduction is done at a high enough resolution that the pattern is not obscured. 

One can verify a reduction using the verify Ontario or Smart Health Verifier app.

The QR code displays on my Apple Watch as a 1.125" / 28.575 mm square and scans with no difficulty, so I pulled up the PDF in my Acrobat reader to see how small I could go and still have the Verify Ontario app scan it successfully. The smallest was 0.75" / 19.05 mm square, which was 33.3% of the original size. I tried at 25%, but no luck. Same results with the Smart Health Verifier.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fouremco said:

I really comes down to the purpose you intend to use it for. In Ontario, and more generally in Canada, the QR code is the key element. Restaurants, hockey arenas and other establishments can scan your QR code on your iPhone using the Ontario scanning app and get immediate confirmation. They don't need the Ontario or Canada logos. Those were added to the latest version to meet the standard agreed upon with the feds to have a document for international travel. So I have two versions in my Wallet, one created using the new function in iOS 15.1 and the other with the new Grassroots software, both for daily local use with their QR codes. Then I have the Shortcuts version, which opens up the PDF downloaded from the Ontario MOH website. It shows everything, and is now my go to version for any purpose. For cruises, I'm not sure what is acceptable right now, but I'll take my original documentation from each of my shots.

They have a new version. I used it yesterday with no problem.

When I use the Grassroots software on my iPhone 8+, the camera takes the picture of the QR code, I click on Add to Apple Wallet, and I get a whole lot of code, but it doesn't get added. I don't know what I am doing wrong.

Hi, from Saskatchewan!  I just tried putting the new federal QR code in my Apple Wallet, using Grassroots.  I have tried everything:  scanned on the phone, Macbook, used a file, taken a pic, etc., but I keep getting the message "No SHC QR code found! Try taking another picture".  It easily transferred my provincial QR code, but refuses to transfer the Govt. of C QR code.  I did notice there is an Ontario Grassroots website address and a Canadian Grassroots address.  Tried both - no luck.  I'm so NOT a techie:)  Maybe I'll try contacts Grassroots for help.

32 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

When I use the Grassroots software on my iPhone 8+, the camera takes the picture of the QR code, I click on Add to Apple Wallet, and I get a whole lot of code, but it doesn't get added. I don't know what I am doing wrong.

The first step using the software gives you the option of downloading the official receipt or taking a picture of your QR code. I went with the first choice (very quick BTW) and downloaded the receipt, then used "Select File" in step 2 and finally Add to Wallet in step 3.

This is what it looks like in the Wallet:

IMG_3115.thumb.PNG.5765439783dfab67e30f24e9aaacd354.PNG

Edited to add that I'm using an iPhone 7+ running iOS 15.1.

Edited by Fouremco

48 minutes ago, zook50 said:

Hi, from Saskatchewan!  I just tried putting the new federal QR code in my Apple Wallet, using Grassroots.  I have tried everything:  scanned on the phone, Macbook, used a file, taken a pic, etc., but I keep getting the message "No SHC QR code found! Try taking another picture".  It easily transferred my provincial QR code, but refuses to transfer the Govt. of C QR code.  I did notice there is an Ontario Grassroots website address and a Canadian Grassroots address.  Tried both - no luck.  I'm so NOT a techie:)  Maybe I'll try contacts Grassroots for help.

My suggestion would be to try downloading the provincial file in step 1 instead of going the photo route. See post immediately above. You'll still get the QR code. BTW, the QR code should be the same now. AFAIK, there's no fed code and separate provincial code, although things may be different in Saskatchewan.

Edited by Fouremco

I’ll try that too, thanks.  I just emailed Grassroots and they immediately responded, which I really appreciate!  They asked a lot of specific questions and seem determined to solve the problem.  Very professional and thorough.

2 minutes ago, zook50 said:

I’ll try that too, thanks.  I just emailed Grassroots and they immediately responded, which I really appreciate!  They asked a lot of specific questions and seem determined to solve the problem.  Very professional and thorough.

For a company offering a free product, they do seem to be very professional. I hope you are successful!

• Thanks 1

I think my problem was that I wasn't using Safari as my browser; when I switched to it everything worked correctly. So now I have 2 versions in Apple Wallet, the Grassroots one (white), the Apple Health one from iOS 15.1 (red). I have a Shortcut to the photo of the certificate on my  home page. I also have saved copies of the certificate itself on the phone, plus a printed copy in my wallet. I think I am fully covered now for all eventualities.

1 hour ago, gnome12 said:

I think my problem was that I wasn't using Safari as my browser; when I switched to it everything worked correctly. So now I have 2 versions in Apple Wallet, the Grassroots one (white), the Apple Health one from iOS 15.1 (red). I have a Shortcut to the photo of the certificate on my  home page. I also have saved copies of the certificate itself on the phone, plus a printed copy in my wallet. I think I am fully covered now for all eventualities.

I hadn't thought about browser choice, so good for you. It sounds like we both have the same multi-layered redundancy built in to our planning! :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

I, too, have everything in my wallet now.  I simply did not recognize the red QR code as the new one.  I assumed it would be similar to the original - my mistake.  I also received excellent, thorough advice about travel and the codes from the Grassroots rep I corresponded with.  Thanks again for the recommendation!

• Thanks 1