Sky Princess implements new mask wearing rule … sip and cover!

seapals2

1 hour ago, SargassoPirate said:

'Can anyone share the science that the cruise line is following?  For months on end we have been told to follow the science, so what is it?  

The Passage Contract is the only science needed.

The Carrier has adopted specific COVID-19 Guest Protocols with input from medical, science and public health experts and guidance from international, national, and regional health authorities, including CDC and local health agencies when the vessel is within that agency’s jurisdiction.  You acknowledge that these directives may change from time-to-time and that the Carrier’s COVID-19 Guest Protocols may therefore change.  YOU EXPRESSLY AGREE TO COMPLY NOT ONLY WITH THE COVID-19 GUEST PROTOCOLS AS THEY ARE DESCRIBED HEREIN, BUT ALSO AS THEY ARE SET FORTH IN MATERIALS DISTRIBUTED BY CARRIER AND ON THE CARRIER’S WEBSITE , AT ALL TIMES INCLUDING PRE-EMBARKATION, WHILE ON BOARD, DURING PORT CALLS AND SHORE EXCURSIONS, AND/OR DURING FINAL DISEMBARKATION.  In case of any conflict between the COVID-19 Guest Protocols described herein or on the Carrier’s website, the website controls and Your agreement to abide by said website constitutes an integral part of this Passage Contract. Carrier has adopted specific COVID-19 Guest Protocols with input from medical, science and public health experts and guidance from international, national, and regional health authorities, including CDC and local health agencies when the vessel is within that agency’s jurisdiction.  You acknowledge that these directives may change from time-to-time and that the Carrier’s COVID-19 Guest Protocols may therefore change.  YOU EXPRESSLY AGREE TO COMPLY NOT ONLY WITH THE COVID-19 GUEST PROTOCOLS AS THEY ARE DESCRIBED HEREIN, BUT ALSO AS THEY ARE SET FORTH IN MATERIALS DISTRIBUTED BY CARRIER AND ON THE CARRIER’S WEBSITE , AT ALL TIMES INCLUDING PRE-EMBARKATION, WHILE ON BOARD, DURING PORT CALLS AND SHORE EXCURSIONS, AND/OR DURING FINAL DISEMBARKATION.  In case of any conflict between the COVID-19 Guest Protocols described herein or on the Carrier’s website, the website controls and Your agreement to abide by said website constitutes an integral part of this Passage Contract.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, billco said:

The Carrier has adopted specific COVID-19 Guest Protocols with input from medical, science and public health experts and guidance from international, national, and regional health authorities, including CDC and local health agencies when the vessel is within that agency’s jurisdiction.  You acknowledge that these directives may change from time-to-time and that the Carrier’s COVID-19 Guest Protocols may therefore change.  YOU EXPRESSLY AGREE TO COMPLY NOT ONLY WITH THE COVID-19 GUEST PROTOCOLS AS THEY ARE DESCRIBED HEREIN, BUT ALSO AS THEY ARE SET FORTH IN MATERIALS DISTRIBUTED BY CARRIER AND ON THE CARRIER’S WEBSITE , AT ALL TIMES INCLUDING PRE-EMBARKATION, WHILE ON BOARD, DURING PORT CALLS AND SHORE EXCURSIONS, AND/OR DURING FINAL DISEMBARKATION.  In case of any conflict between the COVID-19 Guest Protocols described herein or on the Carrier’s website, the website controls and Your agreement to abide by said website constitutes an integral part of this Passage Contract. Carrier has adopted specific COVID-19 Guest Protocols with input from medical, science and public health experts and guidance from international, national, and regional health authorities, including CDC and local health agencies when the vessel is within that agency’s jurisdiction.  You acknowledge that these directives may change from time-to-time and that the Carrier’s COVID-19 Guest Protocols may therefore change.  YOU EXPRESSLY AGREE TO COMPLY NOT ONLY WITH THE COVID-19 GUEST PROTOCOLS AS THEY ARE DESCRIBED HEREIN, BUT ALSO AS THEY ARE SET FORTH IN MATERIALS DISTRIBUTED BY CARRIER AND ON THE CARRIER’S WEBSITE , AT ALL TIMES INCLUDING PRE-EMBARKATION, WHILE ON BOARD, DURING PORT CALLS AND SHORE EXCURSIONS, AND/OR DURING FINAL DISEMBARKATION.  In case of any conflict between the COVID-19 Guest Protocols described herein or on the Carrier’s website, the website controls and Your agreement to abide by said website constitutes an integral part of this Passage Contract.

Thanks.  I guess that will have to do since we are not allowed to post covid statistics here.  Anyone who is curious, though, can google for the CDCs recent data on breakthrough transmissions.

Having worked in occupational health programs for most of my career, including travel medicine, I understand the science of disease spread, but I also understand the statistics of the impact of those diseases as well.  

Life is not risk free.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest Snaxmuppet
42 minutes ago, billco said:

The Carrier has adopted specific COVID-19 Guest Protocols with input from medical, science and public health experts and guidance from international, national, and regional health authorities, including CDC and local health agencies when the vessel is within that agency’s jurisdiction.  You ...

Yes, I know about the passage contract. BTW, that contract does not apply to my cruise probably because we are in the UK but similar clauses do appear in our contract.

The thing is this... Princess says that these changes will not amount to a significant change and so no compensation will be offered and cancellation is not allowed without penalty... what I have an issue with is not that they are introducing a change but a) what they consider significant clearly is not that same as what I consider significant b) That they introduce these changes without a sensible warning period and without our right to cancel with FCC at least and c) They are introducing measures that do significantly and materially affect our experience without any justification... e.g. there is nothing preventing me sitting next to another couple on a cushioned bench seat in the restaurant and talking to another couple less than 2m away for 1 1/2 hours while we have dinner without our masks and yet we cannot do the same in a bar with a drink.

I would not be at all surprised that if this was challenged in court that it would be deemed an unfair change. In fact, looking at the contract as a whole I wouldn't be at all surprised it it was deemed to be an unfair contract under English law (I am no lawyer... just my opinion).

Edited by Snaxmuppet

It says all guests are required to wear masks while indoors.

No differentation in that sentence, between public cabins, and cabins.

I wonder if they will be checking cabins to verify proper mask use during...

um...

love boating?

• Haha 1

I think the reason for the increased need for folks to wear their masks more consistently (especially on longer cruises) is because Princess is hoping to keep everyone healthy throughout the cruise. 

The protocol for these longer cruises includes on-board testing which - if one tests positive - would require on-board quarantine to our cabins or in cabins in another part of the ship set aside for this purpose. (as well as other health care measures depending on the severity of illness)

We just made our final payment for our January 16th - 15 day Hawaiian cruise.  THE MAIN consideration at this time for us was this:  How would we guaranty to ourselves that we could REMAIN healthy throughout our cruise so that we can ENJOY it without a disruption or potentially becoming ill.  Isn't that the point of going?  To have a WONDERFUL vacation?

We plan to minimize our potential exposure prior to the trip so that our tests for boarding are negative.  It means that before we leave, while in airports and on airplanes, in hotels and in Uber/taxis, we will be ultra vigilant (wearing masks, washing hands frequently,  sanitizing high-touch areas, etc.)  Once on board, it will be important to continue these measures so that we can stay healthy and enjoy this LONG AWAITED vacation!!!

I suspect that the cruise lines are VERY aware of the on-board transmission rates on the early, shorter cruises and are trying to avoid a disastrous outbreak on these increasingly longer cruises...  Covid 19 will be around for a while yet.  I don't want to become ill and I don't want to be responsible for someone else becoming ill!  We ALL have been through so much...  Lets get back to living!  WE can do this!  So that EVERYONE enjoys their vacations!!   

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, MishelleMcc said:

one tests positive - would require on-board quarantine to our cabins or in cabins in another part of the ship set aside for this purpose. (as well as other health care measures depending on the severity of illness)

Although in Europe at present,  those testing positive are being offloaded,  along with their partner, even if the partner tests negative.  

Guest Snaxmuppet

Just got confirmation of this rule from Princess.

I asked to cancel. I will lose the entire cruise cost.

I am putting in a formal complaint to Princess about this. This will significantly impact on my cruise experience and so I want to be able to cancel without penalty. They have so far said no. I will be pursuing this right up to departure and if I can't cancel without penalty then I will be taking it up with Guest Services and the senior officers on board.

I feel conned by Princess. If they don't make this right... either by changing the rule (not likely) or by at least giving me FCC then I will never cruise Princess again.

Even if they don't and I have to cruise then I will be staying in my room and not using the bars. What a waste of £5000 that would be.

40 minutes ago, wowzz said:

By all accounts,  the rule is not being strictly enforced currently. 

I would wait and see what is happening in reality before complaining.

We are onboard now, enjoying a great  cruise with lovely sunshine! The reality is that the sip and cover protocol is only  being enforced in the theatre and Princess Live. We are in Take Five waiting for the Jazz set to start, lovely atmosphere and no mask required when seated to enjoy your drinks. I will add that the mask protocol is being well observed when walking around the ship and in the lifts etc as it should be.  I hope this may alleviate some concerns. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Guest Snaxmuppet
7 minutes ago, CC71 said:

We are onboard now, enjoying a great  cruise with lovely sunshine! The reality is that the sip and cover protocol is only  being enforced in the theatre and Princess Live. We are in Take Five waiting for the Jazz set to start, lovely atmosphere and no mask required when seated to enjoy your drinks. I will add that the mask protocol is being well observed when walking around the ship and in the lifts etc as it should be.  I hope this may alleviate some concerns. 

Sure... your cruise is 10 days or under I expect... that is the rule for cruises of 10 days or under. For those over 10 days the rule is sip and cover at all times everywhere indoors... the restaurants are excepted!!!

Edited by Snaxmuppet

1 hour ago, Snaxmuppet said:

Sure... your cruise is 10 days or under I expect... that is the rule for cruises of 10 days or under. For those over 10 days the rule is sip and cover at all times everywhere indoors... the restaurants are excepted!!!

What  CC71 said. This is what we expected. Snaxmuppet I know your taking alot of heat here but please let us know how this goes. Some of us are in agreement with you and are sailing a bit later than you. If you do sail I am hoping the experience is better than you (and I) are worrying it will be. And I will hold out hope til the end that CCL/Princess eases up on this and looks at what the other lines are doing, seemingly without drastic consequences.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/16/2021 at 5:50 PM, taxmantoo said:

Sip and cover between sips??? Really???  This is getting beyond ridiculous.  These are fully vaccinated cruises! 

It's not a cruise lines issue.  They just try to survive, and have absolutely nothing to do with the "new norm" introduction.  The point is why would one have a holiday without having... a holiday?

The one factor is for sure - they (not cruise lines) cannot annul me by any means.

• Like 1

I actually think there is a crackdown on protocols on sky to make sure things are ok for the Transatlantic in preparation for the CDC when it arrives in USA ?

As I think they need a 14 clear of cases or they lose the first of the sailings out of Fl ...

Guest Snaxmuppet
9 minutes ago, fishnchips said:

I actually think there is a crackdown on protocols on sky to make sure things are ok for the Transatlantic in preparation for the CDC when it arrives in USA ?

As I think they need a 14 clear of cases or they lose the first of the sailings out of Fl ...

This could be at the heart of it. The cruise after ours on Sky is the transatlantic so they want to give them a clean bill of health for the CDC... I actually have no issue with that if that is what they have decided to do but it should not be at the expense of those passengers that don't want to cruise under those rules. I should get a refund or at least FCC.

Edited by Snaxmuppet

Isn’t there another current thread about passengers testing positive from the last sailing on the Sky?  

Seems like if the policy changed you should be given some compensation, but this is the U.K. (Right?); and I am not familiar with the policies. 

We were on the 10/5 sailing and are from the USA. The sip and cover rule was announced in the theater  prior to performances. We spent a good deal of time in Vines and were never told to put a mask on while we were there or pretty much at any dining venue for that matter. We did wear them on the elevators(which are still a maximum of 4 people) and while walking around, Obviously NOT in the staterooms. I completely understand people not wanting  to wear masks as it is not great fun BUT right now if this is how you want to take a holiday it is something you are going to be stuck with.  On a positive note we thought they really did a very good job with all the covid stuff, we had a great time, the crew was great , the ship was beautiful (but big) so for us this was not an issue at all.

If anyone has any specific questions about the Sky please ask as we just got home yesterday and are happy to provide real time answers

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Guest Snaxmuppet

Thanks for the discussion.  I think everything has been said that can be said and I really appreciate the different perspectives... given me something to think about.

I still don't like the sip and cover rule. I think it might have more to do with the CDC than with our health but I have no evidence of that.

I like even less the fact that princess will not give FCC and that really is the bigger story here. 

So I am ending the discussion here.

Thanks again

3 hours ago, Snaxmuppet said:

Thanks for the discussion.  I think everything has been said that can be said and I really appreciate the different perspectives... given me something to think about.

I still don't like the sip and cover rule. I think it might have more to do with the CDC than with our health but I have no evidence of that.

I like even less the fact that princess will not give FCC and that really is the bigger story here. 

So I am ending the discussion here.

Thanks again

The CDC doesn't have a sip&cover rule AFAIK.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PrincessLuver said:

Well said and we agree......we just spent two months in HI and as you probably are aware they have very stringent Covid protocols in their Safe Travels program which are easily followed by those vacationing and living there.  

Covid has not gone away by any means and is continually evolving.  Since Princess had such a worldwide PR disaster with some of the first cases of Covid I can see how they are being very cautious and have great protocols in place.  

I am sure that masks protocols are not the only thing that makes those objecting to them easily upset in life.....I am reminded of the idiom "methinks thou dost protest too much."

Congratulations for being able to spend 2 months in Hawaii. I think the main complaint @Snaxmuppet has is that they booked a cruise and were more than happy to follow the mask mandate that was in place at time of booking. Many of us continue to work hard to save for our once a year vacation and make the choice of how to spend that precious time off according to what protocols we are willing to accept. Then after final payment Princess changed the rules without notice or justification to something that many people feel is a deal breaker. My wife and I are booked on what will be our first and probably our last Princess cruise at the end of August cruising out of New York. For me lift and sip is a deal breaker, because it makes no sense. As many others have stated wearing the mask while moving around isn't the problem, the problem is the on, off, on, off while sitting in the same place.

Princess moved the goal posts after the start of play, apparently that's okay with you. Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Guest Snaxmuppet
1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

The CDC doesn't have a sip&cover rule AFAIK.

No, but the CDC require all ships returning to the USA to be covid free for the 14 days prior to their return. So IMO, it is more to do with Princess wanting to keep a completely clean sheet for the CDC so they can carry on with their USA cruise schedule than with passenger health.

As far as "sip and cover" is concerned.

The CDC web site says "Wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds or use hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol after touching or removing your mask."

So be sure to do this each time you remove/touch the mask to sip.

Princess needs to supply sufficient hand sanitizer each time they deliver a beverage.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

14 minutes ago, caribill said:

As far as "sip and cover" is concerned.

The CDC web site says "Wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds or use hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol after touching or removing your mask."

So be sure to do this each time you remove/touch the mask to sip.

Princess needs to supply sufficient hand sanitizer each time they deliver a beverage.

So what should really happen is:

1. Sanitize hands

2. Remove or lift mask

3. Sanitize hands

4. Sip

5. Sanitize hands

6. Replace masks

7. Sanitize hands

Repeat for each sip.

Sanitizing before lifting/replacing mask avoids transferring germs to mask, after lifting/replacing mask ensures any germs transferred to hands are killed.

You'd need a lot of sanitizer!😯

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

So what should really happen is:

1. Sanitize hands

2. Remove or lift mask

3. Sanitize hands

4. Sip

5. Sanitize hands

6. Replace masks

7. Sanitize hands

Repeat for each sip.

Sanitizing before lifting/replacing mask avoids transferring germs to mask, after lifting/replacing mask ensures any germs transferred to hands are killed.

You'd need a lot of sanitizer!😯

Well, Princess says they follow CDC recommendations.

• Haha 2