Wine

FrankieSue

They are definitely still available but I think the configuration is a bit different.  It’s now 4, 6 and 8 bottles.

It was that way B.C. (Before Covid) IIRC.

I’m one of the ones that @Cruise Suzymentioned.  I never pre-order now.  I wait to see what’s available on board and then I know what packages we will get (we typically get 2 and 3 IF the wines are available).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kazu said:

They are definitely still available but I think the configuration is a bit different.  It’s now 4, 6 and 8 bottles.

It was that way B.C. (Before Covid) IIRC.

I’m one of the ones that @Cruise Suzymentioned.  I never pre-order now.  I wait to see what’s available on board and then I know what packages we will get (we typically get 2 and 3 IF the wines are available).

As both of you have stated, this is a wise approach to buying the wine packages.  I also recommend that the OP take our advice.  

34 minutes ago, Sea42 said:

Are the wines in the packages a set selection? Or do you build your own package from a list of available bottles?

Yes,  as to building / choosing -  there are a number of bottles in the selection and as long as they are available you can choose whatever you want.

If there is one that is popular and you like and want it, recommend you ask them to hold a x number of bottles for you 😉.  They only have limited stores but if they run out they often offer a substitute of more expensive variety.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, kazu said:

Yes,  there are a number of bottles in the selection and as long as they are available you can choose whatever you want.

If there is one that is popular and you like and want it, recommend you ask them to hold a x number of bottles for you 😉.  They only have limited stores but if they run out they often offer a substitute of more expensive variety.

That's good, thanks for the information!

One more question, can we have one of the bottles for the cabin? Or are they only for restaurant/bar consumption?

1 minute ago, Sea42 said:

One more question, can we have one of the bottles for the cabin? Or are they only for restaurant/bar consumption?

You can have them where you want.  Just ask whoever you buy the package from to deliver the bottles you want yo your room, or any bar you may want.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Sea42 said:

Absolutely - you can send a bottle anywhere - to your cabin - the PG - a bar, wherever you please.  No problem at all 👍   And yes, you can choose the selection to go 😉 

I’ve been known to send a bottle or two to my cabin for a drink in the evening on the balcony in my pj’s 😉 

You don’t have to decide when you order the package.  You can decide later and just request.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, taxmantoo said:

You can have them where you want.  Just ask whoever you buy the package from to deliver the bottles you want yo your room, or any bar you may want.

1 minute ago, kazu said:

Absolutely - you can send a bottle anywhere - to your cabin - the PG - a bar, wherever you please.  No problem at all 👍   And yes, you can choose the selection to go 😉 

I’ve been known to send a bottle or two to my cabin for a drink in the evening on the balcony in my pj’s 😉 

Thank you! I think the wine package will be the way to go for my mom and me.

I, too, enjoy a glass on the balcony along with a cheese plate. Although apparently now I'll have to supply the crackers🙄

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sea42 said:

Thank you! I think the wine package will be the way to go for my mom and me.

I, too, enjoy a glass on the balcony along with a cheese plate. Although apparently now I'll have to supply the crackers🙄

LOL - I guess time will tell.  I will definitely be getting some in Rotterdam for our May cruise to be safe and will be reporting.

I wonder if HAL will confiscate my zip loc bags that I will keep them in once opened?  😂 I don’t consider them one use since I can wash and reuse them 😉 

• Haha 2

Always, I choose a wine that I prefer for HH that is not a part of a wine package.  I buy a bottle; it's stored at a bar for me; if I am at another bar and I want it, it can be retrieved; that also applied to wine service in the MDR.  (The Wine Stewards at the specialty restaurants sometimes will "happily" do so; sometimes they will do so "grumpily".)

54 minutes ago, kazu said:

LOL - I guess time will tell.  I will definitely be getting some in Rotterdam for our May cruise to be safe and will be reporting.

I wonder if HAL will confiscate my zip loc bags that I will keep them in once opened?  😂 I don’t consider them one use since I can wash and reuse them 😉 

Perhaps if you have a small tin container at home you could load up some crackers in it and pack it in a piece of luggage.  Good way to keep them fresh on the ship, too.  I'm referring to the tins that you gift cookies in, or that rum cakes come in.

• Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Perhaps if you have a small tin container at home you could load up some crackers in it and pack it in a piece of luggage.  Good way to keep them fresh on the ship, too.  I'm referring to the tins that you gift cookies in, or that rum cakes come in.

LOL 😂 Umm, between name tags and Meet and Greet invites - that’s enough extra stuff.  But who knows?  I might be able to fake it or just buy one in Rotterdam with something nice to munch on inside.  Same for Barcelona later next year.

Actually unless the crackers are wrapped, sealed, whatever, I find they don’t stay crispy.  I always take ziploc bags and I do wash and re-use them.  they can be very handy 😉   And they are light weight and take no space 😉 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Always, I choose a wine that I prefer for HH that is not a part of a wine package.  I buy a bottle; it's stored at a bar for me; if I am at another bar and I want it, it can be retrieved; that also applied to wine service in the MDR.  (The Wine Stewards at the specialty restaurants sometimes will "happily" do so; sometimes they will do so "grumpily".)

Tip - if you know you are going to a specialty restaurant the next night - just let them know and ask to have you bottle(s) sent there.  It’s worked well for us and it makes life easy for those taking care of the wine in the specialty restaurants.  If it didn’t get delivered, they are not grumpy (at least, not at us 😉 )

At the end of your specialty dinner if you have left over wine - ask them to send it back to the MDR and it will be there the next night.

No one has to go running to get it.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, kazu said:

No one has to go running to get it.

One situation that really impressed me was with a bottle of wine that I asked to be kept at a lounge.  This bottle went from the Ocean Bar to MIX and was supposed to return to the Ocean Bar.  The next evening, it was missing.  The Ocean Bar's chief bartender--one of the best whom I have encountered--went searching for it even though the Bar was busy.  The bottle was recovered.  At the end of that cruise, he received a generous gratuity for his service and words of praise when I completed my survey.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kazu said:

LOL 😂 Umm, between name tags and Meet and Greet invites - that’s enough extra stuff.  But who knows?  I might be able to fake it or just buy one in Rotterdam with something nice to munch on inside.  Same for Barcelona later next year.

Actually unless the crackers are wrapped, sealed, whatever, I find they don’t stay crispy.  I always take ziploc bags and I do wash and re-use them.  they can be very handy 😉   And they are light weight and take no space 😉 

Looking forward to becoming a 4* after our first 2022 cruise for that 50% rate!

The cracker conversation made me remember our last pre-Covid cruise on Celebrity when we invited 4 longtime friends for a stateroom party. The butler arranged a nice buffet, chilled the champagne and delivered my requested shrimp & cheese platters. The Saltine crackers arranged around the cheese and  refrigerated were soggy - I vowed to bring along my own crackers in the future.

Crunchmaster brand crackers are a local favorite - they don’t get soggy after being opened even in our humid climate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We'll have the Have It All perk on our upcoming cruises, but that doesn't include the mini bar or room service drinks. So I'll be taking advantage of our 50% off 4* benefit to order at least a 4 bottle package to enjoy on our balcony. Best of all worlds. 😄

• Like 2

Now that HAL charges the $20 corkage fee for all wine carried onboard will the charge appear on the onboard account and be covered by OBC?   We have the drink package but those drinks will be consumed around the ship and it would be inconvenient to carry a glass of wine back to the stateroom.  With the drink package we won’t be buying a separate wine package for a 7 day cruise!  

36 minutes ago, oaktreerb said:

Now that HAL charges the $20 corkage fee for all wine carried onboard will the charge appear on the onboard account and be covered by OBC?   We have the drink package but those drinks will be consumed around the ship and it would be inconvenient to carry a glass of wine back to the stateroom.  With the drink package we won’t be buying a separate wine package for a 7 day cruise!  

OBC would cover the corkage fee, no problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, taxmantoo said:

OBC would cover the corkage fee, no problem.

Completely agree.  I’ve paid corkage in the past (as I think taxmantoo has as well 😉) .  If I had OBC (and I usually do), it covered my corkage fees 😉 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Given the new no more "free wine" carryon and being 4/5 Star, it makes sense (for me at least) to buy the wine package.  The cost per bottle with the 50% discount is only a bit more than the $20 corkage fee plus you still have to buy the wine and carry it onboard.  Plus you can consume the wine in any onboard venue.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

Given the new no more "free wine" carryon and being 4/5 Star, it makes sense (for me at least) to buy the wine package.  The cost per bottle with the 50% discount is only a bit more than the $20 corkage fee plus you still have to buy the wine and carry it onboard.  Plus you can consume the wine in any onboard venue.

If you pay the corkage on your wine you bring on board you can consume it in any onboard venue as well. 😉 

We tend to do longer cruises so we like variety and we also enjoy a glass on our balcony.  When we are in Europe, with all those lovely wines, we don’t want to be relegated to just the wine packages.  We order them, yes but we also bring wine on to enjoy at different moments whether we are entertaining, relaxing, whatever. 😉 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

It is not always about the cost of the wine plus the corkage, but often about having particular wines that we enjoy.  Having said that , it is also about cost when we pay a $20 corkage fee on a $100 bottle from home that sells in excess of $250 on board.  Now, that is also a bargain 😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1