The Daily for Sunday October 17, 2021

richwmn

The second time we were in Cobh was May 13, 2014 on the second half of a B2B - TA from Fort Lauderdale to Southampton then British Isles on the Ruby Princess.

This time we took the train from Cobh to Cork and explored.

IMG_0043.thumb.jpg.f65a9471b871f91791080da4e812ee41.jpg

IMG_0044.thumb.jpg.503ee3fb0be73f625835838438a29784.jpg

_DSC1577.thumb.jpg.6a1266ef17e8739ccf9da3f7c4b04083.jpg

Saw a "selkie" in the river

_DSC1549.thumb.jpg.0c13c2d25dfef651996115dccf8a87f6.jpg

Went to the English Market

_DSC1568.thumb.jpg.eb6be9d69d81a5df7952a0f5d943cceb.jpg

IMG_0050.thumb.jpg.d6504769c57c1a672d8c7d9d21ec4cd7.jpg

Talked to this guy - after all, I kissed the Blarney Stone in '09 🤪

IMG_0049.thumb.jpg.9162925e235dbc19a4b2da4614ed8f10.jpg

IMG_0048.thumb.jpg.169e275079e9d35f55280a3312c23035.jpg

IMG_0047.thumb.jpg.7484a99d752a5f180d099423c0e48d73.jpg

Lunch in the English Market

IMG_0060.thumb.jpg.bf0d19dc9436f877bf5c1d82d91bb447.jpg

Then found The Mutton Lane Inn for something to wet our whistle before the return trip by train to Cobh

IMG_0052.thumb.jpg.bd7c5f487f34d5ea84f567e99e14b233.jpg

IMG_0053.thumb.jpg.ea782f8a4718c538807d4557043aff18.jpg

IMG_0054.thumb.jpg.8bd1f520de3832a3267e5b4082bd7691.jpg

Kay

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily. I'm not that late and already on page 4!

Good days. I love pasta, but limit it due to the carbs. I don't have anything gaudy to wear, lol. I don't play golf, so no Mulligan, unless it applies to other do-overs. Only ex-boyfriends to forgive.

Great quote.

I like the meal (I have a pork tenderloin in the freezer) and the drink. Pass on the wine.

I have not been to Cobh/Cork. I've always wanted to go to Ireland. Thanks for the great pictures.

Brrr. It was 48F this AM and has only made it up to 55. I have my little space heater on in my den.

@mamaofami So nice to visit with friends.

@Seasick Sailor Happy Birthday tomorrow!

@St. Louis Sal Congratulations on the honor of being names Mission Woman of the Year! Very kind of Steve's wife to offer her support.

@smitty34877 Happy Birthday tomorrow!

@grapau27 Lovely lunch, lovely couple.

@travelnap I went through the new locks in 2019 on the NCL Bliss (the largest ship to go through since it was built), and as Roy said we just had a tug with us. No locomotives.

@aliaschief Thanks for the canal transit pictures.

@cunnorl So sorry to hear about your sister. Prayers for her and hoping her treatment is successful.

@atexsix I'm glad your taste is back; otherwise eating is no fun.

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Entering Gatun Lock. Morning rain stopped and now some blue skies. Best of all not oppressively hot.

Always a great experience. We are so fortunate to be able to travels and see all these wonders.

Gatun Lock

image.thumb.png.7f2b35988032a4ffe75eb974533a6e7f.png

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, smitty34877 said:

@JazzyV, thanks but  I share the birth year.I was born in January so I have tried out 67 for 10 months!

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

Oops! Sorry, I misread I guess. I also share the birth year. I have tried out 67 for 13 days.

Looks like many of us are in the same boat age-wise; I'll try out 67 starting on Christmas Day this year.

@cunnorlI am adding my prayers to those already here for your sister's return to good health, and to her family for supporting her.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 15

6 hours ago, St. Louis Sal said:

I had a celebration yesterday.  I attended our church women’s district meeting where I was honored as “Mission Woman of the Year”. I was so touched to receive this award.

Congrats! 👏🙂

• Like 8

4 hours ago, cunnorl said:

Unfortunately on our ride home, I received a call from my sister and she has been diagnosed with aggressive lymphoma. She is doing chemo and tomorrow she is going to the Dana Farber Cancer center in Boston for another opinion.  We are all just holding our breath, praying for a good outcome.  So if anyone has any extra prayers, please send them to Boston. 

🙏🙏🙏

• Like 7

Good afternoon.  CC is now acting up on my phone, so a quick post from my iPad.

i’ve read the Daily, but will comment later if possible.

We are about 95 miles from Quartzsite, and should be there in 1 1/2 hours.  Then a busy afternoon settling in.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 16

@Seasick SailorI think we're twins-except I'm 5 years ahead of you.  Tomorrow to celebrate I'm treating myself to an epidural injection for the disk that's causing pain in my leg 🙁. But we leave for Barcelona a week from today so I want to be ready for all those cruise activities. Packing is almost complete but the last minute reminder list is getting longer so hope there's room for everything.

Have a great week everyone.

• Like 15

24 minutes ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

Tomorrow to celebrate I'm treating myself to an epidural injection for the disk that's causing pain in my leg

Yikes.  That’s no way to celebrate your birthday.  But smart to do it before you sail like

Happy Birthday!

EDF77BD2-8290-4666-93F1-029A63C0C438.jpeg.238bd8e201f8d77f216587432e7f15aa.jpeg

• Like 7

Prayers to all today.  DH and I went to Church this morning, first time since June due to our travels.  Inside, masked, social distanced, but so nice!  No gaudy dress for us, beige and navy, a lot like casual "cruise" attire.  Tomorrow we travel to the Pacific Northwest for a week with DD and family, especially  happy to see youngest granddaughter who we haven't seen since the week of her birth in August.  This afternoon we will order the proctored AbbotBinax Covid-19 tests for our November cruise from Italy.  Hopeful that we manage to figure the online test/proctor routine out before we board the ship. 

• Like 11

Thank you for all the lovely comments about my award! 

I have to say that I am most proud of how those trips pushed me to my limits. I am not a very physical person (sitting and reading is my favorite thing to do), going on those trips was completely out of my comfort zone. In fact I turned down the first one I considered. It was in Mexico, building a church camp for the children of Ciudad Juarez. I thought I was too old (52), it would be too hot and since I knew nothing about construction, I would be useless. But a friend went and said I could do it! She told me the weather was not bad (the camp was in Pittoreal close to Divisadero in Copper Canyon.) She was a go-fer and cut piles of rebar (the camp buildings were made of logs and 6 inch pieces of rebar were used as the pegs). So fir two years I went and cut rebar, installed drywall, and also worked on the roofing crew 😳.

The next two trips were in Piedras Negras where we cleared ground for a new church and laid a sidewalk. The motto is: if you haven’t carried cement blocks or ridden in the back of a pickup truck, you haven’t been on a mission trip. 

My trips to Louisiana (UMCOR Depot) and Appalachia (Henderson Settlement) were more my strong points. Organized and packed relief supplies for shipping (although we did get evacuated for Hurricane Ivan one year, stayed long enough to board up the dorms and got going). Working at Henderson Settlement had been a dream since I first heard of it in high school; I helped in their thrift store, cleaned the daycare center. My friend went to the home of a gentleman named Hatfield (yes, one of those Hatfields) and helped replace his windows and install a generator (he had no electricity).

In Joplin I helped paint a newly built house for a woman who lost hers in the tornado of 2011.

My biggest project was in Crisfield Maryland. Three of us women volunteered (all of us over 60) to remove the soggy, moldy insulation in the crawl space of a home. The woman who lived there had COPD and her doctor said she could not stay there with the mold. We suited up and wiggled in to the crawl space. My friends used box cutters to slash the netting and drop the insulation, I would grab it, crawl and wiggle back out and stuff it in contractor bags. My one friend suffers from claustrophobia and needed take breaks when the enclosed space got too much for her. We were proud of ourselves for our accomplishment. I have a few pictures. The sunset was taken from close to the restaurant where we had a fantastic crab dinner on our last night (it’s not all hard work, 😉)

St Louis Sal

p.s. Sorry for the long post.

349003A3-516B-485A-B638-E086C1414919.jpeg

205A4465-0101-40E1-A196-2C01F4264D66.jpeg

3E4AF50E-E834-4C42-96CD-A2ACE6F8505B.jpeg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, St. Louis Sal said:

Good morning all!

Looks to be a lovely day here. Our food pantry, Feed My People, is having their annual fundraiser-The Manna March-so I’ve been keeping my fingers crossed for good weather.

I am not into gaudy, although I did wear a pair of dachshund socks yesterday, does that count? No ex to forgive. Confess that although my dad was a golfer, I somehow missed the term “mulligan” until I played trivia?? I grew up on red sauce pasta (meh), never understood the attraction, until I had Fettucine Alfredo; at last I found pasta heaven. Of course things like spaghetti carbonara have wayyy more calories and tomato based sauces are healthier, but that’s probably why I love the cream sauces 😉.

I wonder if P.J. O’Rourke has ever had a desire to take a hammer to his PC?

The food and drink are winners today!  I have not been to Ireland, I am expecting some beautiful pictures.

Continued prayers for all on our concern list 🙏. I have talked with my friend Steve’s wife and she has offered to be my mentor as I progress with ALS. Still no word on my liver transplant friend 😢.  And raising a glass for all the celebrations 🍷. I had a celebration yesterday.  I attended our church women’s district meeting where I was honored as “Mission Woman of the Year”. I was so touched to receive this award. I have done mission work for many years (11 mission trips including 4 to Mexico, two to Appalachia, 3 to work in a disaster relief warehouse in Louisiana, one to Joplin after their tornado, one to Crisfield Maryland after Hurricane Sandy).  Along with serving on the Board at Feed My People food pantry, I’ve been more of a hands on person. Now I need to find a different outlet for mission, one I can do from a wheelchair and maybe on my computer (providing I haven’t fought and killed it 😂).

Take care all, and have a beautiful Sunday,

St Louis Sal

Brava! And thank you for your service to your fellow humans. ❤️

• Like 10

50 minutes ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

@Seasick SailorI think we're twins-except I'm 5 years ahead of you.  Tomorrow to celebrate I'm treating myself to an epidural injection for the disk that's causing pain in my leg 🙁. But we leave for Barcelona a week from today so I want to be ready for all those cruise activities. Packing is almost complete but the last minute reminder list is getting longer so hope there's room for everything.

Have a great week everyone.

Happy Birthday tomorrow!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, cunnorl said:

Good Morning from a very cloudy but warm day at the beach

Love that " Mulligans" have their own day! Could have used one yesterday when I played with my son and nephew. They dont cut me any slack!

I have been to Cobh a few times on land based trips. I love visiting Ireland. It is a beautiful country and the people are so warm and inviting.

Have not posted in a bit, although I have read the daily several times. We went up to Pennsylvania to see DH`S sister. She had a stroke a few years ago but is doing OK. It was a good trip seeing the kids who have grown so much in the 2 years since we last saw them.

Unfortunately on our ride home, I received a call from my sister and she has been diagnosed with aggressive lymphoma. She is doing chemo and tomorrow she is going to the Dana Farber Cancer center in Boston for another opinion.  We are all just holding our breath, praying for a good outcome.  So if anyone has any extra prayers, please send them to Boston.  I want to go up but she does not want me to. She says she would rather come here! We will see.

Stay safe and enjoy everyday.

This has been such a tough year for your family!  There are always enough prayers- always!

• Like 6

2 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Entering Gatun Lock. Morning rain stopped and now some blue skies. Best of all not oppressively hot.

Always a great experience. We are so fortunate to be able to travels and see all these wonders.

Thank you for sharing this experience; it has allowed me to relive my cruises through the Canal. Only a little jealous right now 😉

St Louis Sal

• Like 8