COVID testing

Hoping for advice on covid testing. We are going to Disney for 3 days and then going on a Royal Caribbean cruise out of Port Canaveral. We have to take our test no more than 2 days before boarding but we will be in Disney. Any advice? Thanks!

Don’t order them too soon.  The ones they are sending out now expire mid December or before, even with the extension.  

The ones we received last week expired in September, and the extension made them good only till mid December. 

2 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

Don’t order them too soon.  The ones they are sending out now expire mid December or before, even with the extension.  

The ones we received last week expired in September, and the extension made them good only till mid December. 

We will be flying to Florida Nov 3rd. In Disney from 11-3 to 11-5 and then to Port Canaveral on 11-5. I was going to order them today. I'm wondering if I can take the kits on the plane and then I guess we do the test from Disney? so confused! Thanks!

40 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

That is so strange.  I ordered mine back in early August and they were made in February 2021 and expire October 2021.   With the extension, they should be good until sometime in January.  Its weird that the kits being sent now in October expire even before that.  

27 minutes ago, LynandBill said:

I'm wondering if I can take the kits on the plane and then I guess we do the test from Disney? so confused! Thanks!

You can take them on the plane.  I took 5 kits with me in my carryon backpack to Seattle because I only needed one and was going to let whoever needed a test at the port buy the rest if they were interested.   No one showed up not tested though. If you are boarding the ship on the 5th, you will need to take the test on the 3rd or 4th.    

Edited by ryano

25 minutes ago, ryano said:

You can take them on the plane.  I took 5 kits with me in my carryon backpack to Seattle because I only needed one and was going to let whoever needed a test at the port buy the rest if they were interested.   No one showed up not tested though. If you are boarding the ship on the 5th, you will need to take the test on the 3rd or 4th.    

Thanks so much!

• Like 1

We have 2 CVS appointments scheduled in Orlando: 1 day before cruise, 1 morning of cruise (just in case 1st gets canceled).  Also going to try to get tested at home before we fly to Orlando (2 days before cruise).  Still thinking about ordering the at home kits, just to be safe.

FYI - This is posted on Royal Caribbean's web site:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/if-need-an-rt-pcr-test-before-i-cruise-where-should-i-go

We just cruised in September and were able to get our rapid antigen tests done at Walgreen's. Certain CVS Pharmacies do the rapid antigen (same day results) and most do the PCR (results take longer for this one). Cheers!

Also from Royal's site:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/what-if-i-dont-find-a-pre-cruise-test-or-get-test-results-in-time

Edited by SilkySal
add
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Make sure you have at least two kits per person, there have been a lot of reports of defective kits (out of a box of 6, my son had 2 that were bad).  And you will also need to make sure you have a great wifi signal that won't drop and a camera--they need to watch you open the box, watch you do the test--you must be visible to them at all times.  Each of you will set up an account with your email.  And make sure you are ordering the correct home kit, not all of them are allowed.  You want one that is proctored by a health professional,  Binax AG CARD.  It's $150 for 6 tests via emed, and depending on your state, tax will be added to that.  

Edited by rockmom

1 hour ago, ryano said:

That is so strange.  I ordered mine back in early August and they were made in February 2021 and expire October 2021.   With the extension, they should be good until sometime in January.  Its weird that the kits being sent now in October expire even before that.  

We cruised in September and tests we received were expiring October 5th (extended to January 5th). One week ago we received tests with expiration date September 21st (extended December 21st) 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, bt6799 said:

We have 2 CVS appointments scheduled in Orlando: 1 day before cruise, 1 morning of cruise (just in case 1st gets canceled).  Also going to try to get tested at home before we fly to Orlando (2 days before cruise).  Still thinking about ordering the at home kits, just to be safe.

I would order it as we had 2 appointments for both of us in CVS in September and both were canceled. (one 2 hours prior appt). We were lucky that we decided to have double insurance with home tests.

55 minutes ago, rockmom said:

-you must be visible to them at all times. 

Mostly good advice, but no, you don't need to stay on camera while waiting the 15 minutes. In fact, the test proctor will change.

While I echo the advice to have spare test kits and/or alternate plan, I would be inclined to save money and buy the same test without monitoring for the spares. I've seen the unmonitored Binax test as low as $7 (Walmart pack of two for $14). If your reagent bottle is dry, there is no reason to pay twice for the monitoring.

1 hour ago, Tatka said:

I would order it as we had 2 appointments for both of us in CVS in September and both were canceled. (one 2 hours prior appt). We were lucky that we decided to have double insurance with home tests.

Thank you, ordered the kits today for 11/1 cruise.  What city was the CVS located in that cancelled?

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, publicpersona said:

Mostly good advice, but no, you don't need to stay on camera while waiting the 15 minutes. In fact, the test proctor will change.

While I echo the advice to have spare test kits and/or alternate plan, I would be inclined to save money and buy the same test without monitoring for the spares. I've seen the unmonitored Binax test as low as $7 (Walmart pack of two for $14). If your reagent bottle is dry, there is no reason to pay twice for the monitoring.

Sorry I wasn't more clear about when you need to be on camera. Agree that you don't need to be on while waiting.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, bt6799 said:

Thank you, ordered the kits today for 11/1 cruise.  What city was the CVS located in that cancelled?

Two different in Massachusetts. Natick & Franklin

Edited by Tatka

These are the options in CC and close by. I went to a MedFast lab here in Miami Dade and it was free and results within a few hours. 

Where to get tested

Testing is available at many local pharmacies and urgent care centers. Patients should check to see if appointments and/or insurance are required. At-home tests also may be purchased at many pharmacies. Private physicians also may do testing. 

• CVS: Visit CVS.com to schedule an appointment.
  • DOH-Brevard, 2555 Judge Fran Jamieson Way in Viera, from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday. This is a walk-up site by appointment only. For more information and to schedule an appointment, visit: http://testing.nomihealth.com/signup/fl*Testing is free. Insurance information will be requested, but there is no out-of-pocket expense.
  • Health First at 1223 Gateway Drive, Melbourne, FL 32940 is by appointment only. Visit their testing website or call 321-434-3131
  • Health First at 1855 Knox McRae Drive, Titusville, FL 32780 is by appointment only. Visit their testing website or call 321-434-3134
  • Health First at 7125 Murrell Road, Melbourne, FL 32940 is by appointment only. Visit their testing website or call 321-434-3132
  • Health First at 730 Malabar Road, Malabar, FL 32950 is by appointment only. Visit their testing website or call 321-434-3133
  • Health First at 255 Borman Drive, Merritt Island, FL 32953 is by appointment only. Visit their testing website or call 321-434-3134
  • Kiwanis Island Park, 951 Kiwanis Island Park Road , Merritt Island. This is a drive-thru site. Testing is Monday-Sunday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Pre-registration is recommended. To pre-register visit: patientportalfl.com *Testing is free. Insurance information will be requested, but there is no out-of-pocket expense.
  • MedFast Urgent Care Centers will perform tests according to clinical conditions. Call 321-MEDFAST (633-3278) or visit their website for more details
  • Parrish Medical Center, 951 N Washington Ave, Titusville, FL 32796. This is a drive-thru site by appointment only. Appointments at Parrish are available here: https://testing.nomihealth.com/easy_registration/26/onsiteParrish will provide COVID-19 testing from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Sunday.
    *Testing is free. Insurance information will be requested, but there is no out-of-pocket expense.
  • Quest Diagnostics: Visit the QuestCOVID19.com website to schedule an appointment 
  • Walmart: Testing is available by appointment only at stores with clinics supported by Quest Diagnostics. Visit QuestCOVID19.com to schedule an appointment.
  • Walgreens: Visit Walgreens.com to begin the process for drive-through testing of ages 3 and older. 
  • West Melbourne Community Park, 3000 Minton Road (Please use the Fell Road entrance to the park.) This is a walk-up site. Pre-registration is recommended, walk-ins are welcome,. Hours are Monday-Sunday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. To pre-register visit: patientportalfl.com 
    *Testing is free. Insurance information will be requested, but there is no out-of-pocket expense.
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Heymarco said:

Anyone hear any updates for Nov yet? I’m still seeing the testing requirements have not been announced yet in the app. Nothing like RC and CDC waiting until last minute. Hopefully it means CSO will actually expire.

I just received emails to book tests for my kids for Nov. 7 out of Miami, so it seems that protocol will stay

Just back from Harmony out of Barcelona and was very impressed with the way the testing was done.  LFT before embarkation took about 30 mins.  Tested twice on board and each time had results in 30 mins.  No charge for any of them - we hear P&O are charging $20 ish fore LFT on board

On 10/20/2021 at 1:33 PM, publicpersona said:

Thanks for this info!!.. do you know, will the proctor accept the extra parts from the standard at home test?

I am a going a bit crazy trying to navigate this.. and have solid back up plans.