Must Read ... Extension and Modification of CDC CSO dated 10/25/21

NavArch64

Around pages 20 -22, I wish the ships were named, not just as Cruise Ship A,B, etc.

The most hair-raising episode for me was the passenger (fully vaccinated and had tested negative three days before sailing) on Cruise Ship F who WAS symptomatic but denied having symptoms upon boarding and died three days later.  The ship was supposedly 100% vaccinated and yet had 112 cases over four sailings from August 21 to September 7.

Unfortunately, it’s a reality that our fellow passengers may lie about feeling ill because they want to take a cruise. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Around pages 20 -22, I wish the ships were named, not just as Cruise Ship A,B, etc.

The most hair-raising episode for me was the passenger (fully vaccinated and had tested negative three days before sailing) on Cruise Ship F who WAS symptomatic but denied having symptoms upon boarding and died three days later.  The ship was supposedly 100% vaccinated and yet had 112 cases over four sailings from August 21 to September 7.

Unfortunately, it’s a reality that our fellow passengers may lie about feeling ill because they want to take a cruise. 

sadly true....we owe it to everyone on the ship to be honest, and to be careful and considerate.

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, Caribbean Chris said:

A common misconception that will probably never go away.   Vaccines do not prevent infections.  There is no protective shield around one's body.   Rather, a vaccine will boost one's immune system so that the infection can be effectively fought off without serious illness.

It is sad, but there is nothing new about passengers dying on cruise ships.

igraf

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

54 minutes ago, igraf said:

A common misconception that will probably never go away.   Vaccines do not prevent infections.  There is no protective shield around one's body.   Rather, a vaccine will boost one's immune system so that the infection can be effectively fought off without serious illness.

It is sad, but there is nothing new about passengers dying on cruise ships.

igraf

I don’t think anyone here is claiming that vaccines will prevent all infections - it’s common knowledge that there are breakthrough cases. 

The point of the post was that passengers are documented as having lied about having symptoms. I hate to sound cynical but it’s quite possible that people are falsifying vaccination records and even test results to go where they please. 

If the rest of us still want to cruise, we can only protect ourselves as best we can with existing means- vaccines, boosters, masks, and social distancing.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Caribbean Chris said:

I don’t think anyone here is claiming that vaccines will prevent all infections - it’s common knowledge that there are breakthrough cases. 

The point of the post was that passengers are documented as having lied about having symptoms. I hate to sound cynical but it’s quite possible that people are falsifying vaccination records and even test results to go where they please. 

If the rest of us still want to cruise, we can only protect ourselves as best we can with existing means- vaccines, boosters, masks, and social distancing.

I agree with you completely.  I am getting ready to go on my first cruise since COVID in a couple of weeks.  Although we have been traveling (ie socially distancing in our rv)  I consider this my first vacation (someone else doing the cooking/cleaning, etc) and just want to have a good time.  We have three more booked after this one.  With the hopes that we can stay healthy for all of them.  Hubby and I will do everything we’ve been doing, living life but keeping our distance as well.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Many medical conditions mirror the same symptoms so it’s possible some aren’t intentionally lying.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Many medical conditions mirror the same symptoms so it’s possible some aren’t intentionally lying.

Quite true. I came down with a very bad sinus infection in September while on the Celebrity Equinox... tiredness, congestion, runny nose, incessant dry cough, fever,  etc.. I woke up at 1AM one night and could not stop coughing for over an hour. I  called the Medical Center, and they took me in at 2AM. After a very thorough exam by a VERY professional nurse and Doctor, a Covid PCR test, and a $305 bill later, I was told NO COVID, just a very severe sinus infection that was not even contagious.  Did i do the right thing going for the test with the possibility of my wife and i being quarantined for the whole trip just for a sinus infection? I have no doubt I did, even though it cost  $305 to find out I was not infected with Covid. I could not bear the thought of infecting someone with COVID and then finding out died because of ME!

Edited by SonuvaBeach
  • Like 19

1 hour ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Vaccines do not prevent ANY infections.  You will still get infected if vaccinated.  Vaccines will reduce or eliminate sickness if infected.  But the vaccine does not prevent the infection.  I don't know how to say this any more clearly.

The term "breakthrough" is just some nonsense propagated in the media.  It just means that a person exhibited some symptoms when infected after being vaccinated.  The symptoms would have been a lot worse had they not been vaccinated.

igraf

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, igraf said:

Vaccines do not prevent ANY infections.  You will still get infected if vaccinated.  Vaccines will reduce or eliminate sickness if infected.  But the vaccine does not prevent the infection.  I don't know how to say this any more clearly.

The term "breakthrough" is just some nonsense propagated in the media.  It just means that a person exhibited some symptoms when infected after being vaccinated.  The symptoms would have been a lot worse had they not been vaccinated.

igraf

The CDC advises that vaccines are "effective at preventing most infections" and uses the terminology "breakthrough":

• COVID-19 vaccines protect people from getting infected and severely ill, and significantly reduce the likelihood of hospitalization and death.
  • Getting vaccinated is the best way to slow the spread of COVID-19 and to prevent infection by Delta or other variants.
  • A vaccine breakthrough infection happens when a fully vaccinated person gets infected with COVID-19. People with vaccine breakthrough infections may spread COVID-19 to others. etc.....
  • Vaccine breakthrough infections are expected. COVID-19 vaccines are effective at preventing most infections. However, like other vaccines, they are not 100% effective. etc.....

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/effectiveness/why-measure-effectiveness/breakthrough-cases.html

• Like 3

2 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

You are right. There's no way to know from that report from "Cruise ship F" whether this person's denial that he had symptoms of Covid was intended to deceive anyone during check-in. The list of possible symptoms is pretty long. He could have told himself it was travel fatigue, an allergy, upset stomach from dinner the night before, and so on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As I have posted here before, I sailed on Nieuw Amsterdam on July 31, 2021 ... she was YELLOW then ... she is YELLOW now ....

image.png.152b28672b39497233f7a03cc310fa50.png

The Captain did not want to discuss this at the Q&A in the Main Stage ... should HAL be open and honest or keep it all a secret? I am curious ... how many of the 1,359 COVID19 cases were onboard Nieuw Amsterdam?

Edited by NavArch64

5 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Agreed - if fellow passengers aren't responsible then what can the cruise lines do? I'm so tired of people being selfish and endangering others

• Like 5

Also, as I have asked a number of times, when will Rotterdam (VII) and Eurodam become part of the CDC CSO? In theory, until they do, they can't enter PEV or certainly not sail from PEV. Will they need to "hang out" at HMC until they are cleared?

3 minutes ago, NavArch64 said:

Also, as I have asked a number of times, when will Rotterdam (VII) and Eurodam become part of the CDC CSO? In theory, until they do, they can't enter PEV or certainly not sail from PEV. Will they need to "hang out" at HMC until they are cleared?

Mexico -as a bi-coastal country exercising less stringent governmental demands, could position itself to become a major cruise port country serving as departure/arrival ports for both Pacific and Atlantic itineraries with little travel inconvenience to those passengers now using the US portals of Boston, Seattle, LA/SD or FLL, etc. 

3 hours ago, SonuvaBeach said:

Quite true. I came down with a very bad sinus infection in September while on the Celebrity Equinox... tiredness, congestion, runny nose, incessant dry cough, fever,  etc.. I woke up at 1AM one night and could not stop coughing for over an hour. I  called the Medical Center, and they took me in at 2AM. After a very thorough exam by a VERY professional nurse and Doctor, a Covid PCR test, and a $305 bill later, I was told NO COVID, just a very severe sinus infection that was not even contagious.  Did i do the right thing going for the test with the possibility of my wife and i being quarantined for the whole trip just for a sinus infection? I have no doubt I did, even though it cost  $305 to find out I was not infected with Covid. I could not bear the thought of infecting someone with COVID and then finding out died because of ME!

I just want to say, thank you for your service to others 🙂

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cruise kitty said:

I just want to say, thank you for your service to others 🙂

I always remember this quote. "It's not hard to do the right thing. It is hard NOT to do the right thing, once you KNOW it is the right thing to do." I appreciate your thanks, but it was just the right thing to do.

• Like 4