2 of 3 cruises, select/anytime dining changes to LATE, why is this?

NutsAboutGolf

Two cruises of our three, select has “magically” changed to late…not sure why this is happening, anyone else have this issue?  On my first cruise this happened to which was pre pandemic, I first went to guest service who told me I’d need to visit the MDR, when I did that, they told me I must have requested the change (I didn’t) and am SOL due to them being to capacity with select dining. 

Booking eDocs03D47C6B-2D6C-490F-A9F6-D9F5C42CACCD.thumb.jpeg.2783337a9658f5c1701909dec0c4ee62.jpeg

When I check-in on the app

327D4801-0626-43F6-8044-39F7CBA3C391.thumb.jpeg.c6a22251f60bea04bd0db115e6e27f1d.jpeg

That would  be a big problem for me For health reasons I stick to a set meal time and late dining is way too late. Guess I would  have contact the special needs folks to get  the time  re set.

We cruise in AQ class generally so usually not an issue.  Had no problems booking the 4 mdrs on EDGE for time we wanted.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, hcat said:

That would  be a big problem for me For health reasons I stick to a set meal time and late dining is way too late. Guess I would  have contact the special needs folks to get  the time  re set.

We cruise in AQ class generally so usually not an issue.  Had no problems booking the 4 mdrs on EDGE for time we wanted.

Not every preference is a "special need". Not sure why you think that your preferences are more important than mine. Buffet and specialty dining are still open if you HAVE to eat early. I'm not sure why you should be in the accommodated in the MDR over someone else. 

3 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

Not every preference is a "special need". Not sure why you think that your preferences are more important than mine. Buffet and specialty dining are still open if you HAVE to eat early. I'm not sure why you should be in the accommodated in the MDR over someone else. 

Apparently you didn’t read where this person said “for health reasons.”  To me that’s not a “preference,” that’s a medical requirement. There are plenty of medical reasons why a person would need to eat on a set schedule, which I would absolutely consider a special need. Yes, there are other food options available but a person should be able to have a sit down meal (not buffet) without paying extra (like you would for specialty dining). 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, kaprin02 said:

Apparently you didn’t read where this person said “for health reasons.”  To me that’s not a “preference,” that’s a medical requirement. There are plenty of medical reasons why a person would need to eat on a set schedule, which I would absolutely consider a special need. Yes, there are other food options available but a person should be able to have a sit down meal (not buffet) without paying extra (like you would for specialty dining). 

I did read that. ‘Health reasons’ and ‘medical requirements’ are two very different things. I like to eat 6 small meals a day due to ‘health reasons’ - as in I have acid reflux and small meals irritate my stomach less. Should the cruise line be required to open the MDR for me over this? No, of course not. It’s a preference, not a requirement. Not as in, if you put peanuts in my food I will die. And there are sufficient dining options to accommodate my preference without crying wolf and trying to make out that I am ‘special’

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, sanger727 said:

I did read that. ‘Health reasons’ and ‘medical requirements’ are two very different things. I like to eat 6 small meals a day due to ‘health reasons’ - as in I have acid reflux and small meals irritate my stomach less. Should the cruise line be required to open the MDR for me over this? No, of course not. It’s a preference, not a requirement. Not as in, if you put peanuts in my food I will die. And there are sufficient dining options to accommodate my preference without crying wolf and trying to make out that I am ‘special’

To be sure, especially in this case AND others, health = medical requirement.

Some individuals have medical situations where they must eat at certain times and NOT because of what they eat or how they eat on an on-going basis to control something which a change in their diet might be a key factor e.g. acid reflux vs diabetes or similar types of diseases where eating at certain times is paramount.

bon appetit and bon voyage

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

To be sure, especially in this case AND others, health = medical requirement.

Some individuals have medical situations where they must eat at certain times and NOT because of what they eat or how they eat on an on-going basis to control something which a change in their diet might be a key factor e.g. acid reflux vs diabetes or similar types of diseases where eating at certain times is paramount.

I booked a cruise early and selected select dining, and then I got bumped off of select dining due to someone booking later and claiming that they could not eat late due to "health reasons"; I would not find that acceptable. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, sanger727 said:

I booked a cruise early and selected select dining, and then I got bumped off of select dining due to someone booking later and claiming that they could not eat late due to "health reasons"; I would not find that acceptable. 

I can accept that fact, yet others do find it acceptable and plausible to assist the passenger with this or other situations which requires eating a full meal, at certain times without compromising their health.

It is not a situation where a request is being made to open the MDR at a time when there are no normal operations. Different issue vs help gain a time which will accommodate the 'health = medical' needs of the passenger.

Maybe some of us are not fully aware that X will go out of its' way to accommodate dietary needs AND requirements.... I know they do for me, being vegan.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

Totally agree, for those folks, and it is (?) real, carry some snacks and nibble already. You will get through until it is your turn to dine.

9 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

I can accept that fact, yet others do find it acceptable and plausible to assist the passenger with this or other situations which requires eating a full meal, at certain times without compromising their health.

It is not a situation where a request is being made to open the MDR at a time when there are no normal operations. Different issue vs help gain a time which will accommodate the 'health = medical' needs of the passenger.

Maybe some of us are not fully aware that X will go out of its' way to accommodate dietary needs AND requirements.... I know they do for me, being vegan.

there’s a huge different between them going out of their way to accommodate a dietary need like vegan vs them hurting another passenger to accommodate another passengers preference. That is not ok and we will have to agree to disagree on that one. This would be a bit like if you have a balcony booked but get bumped to an inside cabin at the last minute because another passenger claims to have claustrophobia. 

if you really ‘have’ to eat at a certain time and select dining isn’t available, you can eat at the buffet, they could give you complimentary dining or arrange room service of the MDR menu. Or you could stop being a baby and have an afternoon snack and a lighter dinner. 

Edited by sanger727
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sanger727 said:

there’s a huge different between them going out of their way to accommodate a dietary need like vegan vs them hurting another passenger to accommodate another passengers preference. That is not ok and we will have to agree to disagree on that one. This would be a bit like if you have a balcony booked but get bumped to an inside cabin at the last minute because another passenger claims to have claustrophobia. 

if you really ‘have’ to eat at a certain time and select dining isn’t available, you can eat at the buffet, they could give you complimentary dining or arrange room service of the MDR menu. Or you could stop being a baby and have an afternoon snack and a lighter dinner. 

Considering you have zero information about what the OP's actual health reason is, I don't think you are in a position to comment on whether an early dining time is reasonable or a use of entitlement.  Your responses are quite harsh considering you don't have all the facts.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

Considering you have zero information about what the OP's actual health reason is, I don't think you are in a position to comment on whether an early dining time is reasonable or a use of entitlement.  Your responses are quite harsh considering you don't have all the facts.  

Agreed … from one innocuous 15 word sentence, the poster (not the OP mind you, but someone just trying to help) has been described as being special, self important, crying wolf, a baby, etc.  Perhaps one would experience less of an irritated stomach and acid reflux if they stopped assuming the worst and then getting all bent about it.

Edited by DenGNNJ
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, DenGNNJ said:

Agreed … from one innocuous 15 word sentence, the poster has been described as being special, self important, crying wolf, a baby, etc.

Some people are just argumentative. The OP was inexplicably changed from their choice, has a reason for asking for the change, and has reasonably sought assistance here. The only baby crying is the one bashing him for it. Maybe the critic missed a nap....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sanger727 said:

The person who got bumped is the OP.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

I really wasn’t commenting about the OP. The OP is entirely within their rights to complain and request to be switched back. I stand by my thoughts about someone jumping to claiming ‘special needs’ because they don’t like their dinner time however. Can’t think of an actual health reason where it’s ‘necessary’ rather than preferred to eat at a certain time. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

Tough  crowd.  Appreciate those who understand..

.No one  is bumped when I book a specific dining time over a year in advance.  If the cruiseline  changed that I would  be upset.  I am a type 2 diabetic..in very good control with meds and my  strict meal plan .  Nibbling on snacks or eating at the buffet is not in my interests or in my plan. Nor is balancing a plate on my balc.  

If OP had a confirmed time, it shoud be honored..

On EDGE, we had pre paid  res at Fine Cut  way in advance for the  early time we usually eat .  We went to confirm a day ahead and learned we were bumped to a ridiculously late  time. Close to bed time!  Maitre d said it would be best for us as a party of 2..

Actually  we were bumped for someone special who did not have any res.    Maitre d made a  big  stink when we said we would  cance, l but since he could not honor the res, we had every right.  There was alot of that res juggling on Edge..even in EDEN for family groups  we met..given split times...Hope they have worked it out on EDGE.

The 4 mdr plan worked well..with pre res  as does BLU. So we will  stick to that and are now trying Luminae..also no issues eating early

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, sanger727 said:

Not a preference  but a need...and we left the  regular ships' mdr years ago..I would not cruise eating in the buffet  every nighy..

Hope you never have to finger stick test several times a day....20 yrs plus and doing well and without insulin or a pump.  Key is tight diet abd schedule..home and awayfrom home.

Works well!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Totally agree, for those folks, and it is (?) real, carry some snacks and nibble already. You will get through until it is your turn to dine.

Sorry ..u are wrong but I accept your lack of understanding..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, hcat said:

Not a preference  but a need...and we left the  regular ships' mdr years ago..I would not cruise eating in the buffet  every nighy..

Hope you never have to finger stick test several times a day....20 yrs plus and doing well and without insulin or a pump.  Key is tight diet abd schedule..home and awayfrom home.

Works well!

so, in order words, exactly what I said. You need to eat certain types of food on certain schedule to manage your diabetes. You prefer to eat at the MDR at a certain specific time. I dont have any issue with preferring select or early dining and booking early enough to get it. As the OP did. So I don’t see any issue with them demanding to get what they booked.

what I took issue was jumping to ‘well, if I don’t get my way I’m going to special needs’. So in other words claiming that your needs are more important than the other passengers needs so they need to accommodate you even if it’s at the expense of another passenger.

• Like 1