The Daily for Friday October 29, 2021

richwmn

Today is Frankenstein Friday, Hermit Day, and World Lemur Day

Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little. - Edmund Burke

Meal suggestion for today - Marinated Tuna Steak

Drink of the Day - Cremat

Wine of the day - Dei 2016 Vino Nobile di Montepulciano Tuscany

Destination of the Day - Enter Panama Canal Balboa

Ships with Passengers

At Sea Atlantic
Nieuw Amsterdam Destination Fort Lauderdale FL
Rotterdam

At Sea Pacific
Koningsdam Destination San Diego CA US 00:00 - 24:00

Marseille (Provence); FR
Eurodam 08:00 – 18:00

Ships without Passengers

At Sea Pacific
Noordam Destination Los Angeles CA US eta 10/31
Zuiderdam Destination Los Angeles CA US eta 10/29

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

Port Everglades
Nieuw Statendam

Puerto Vallarta MX
Westerdam

Scheveningen NL
Oosterdam Anchorage

1029World.thumb.png.88afdce07de35a7dce1e3160dc32aef6.png

• Like 28
  • Thanks 8
  • Haha 1

Good morning and thanks for the daily report Rich.  Appropriate to celebrate Frankenstein as we approach Halloween.  Hermits fascinate me as do lemurs.  Today’s quote is great advice to do our parts no matter how small.  The tuna sounds very nice.  Haven’t been to today’s port but it’s on my bucket list.  Prayers to everyone on our prayer list and happy_______ to everyone celebrating ________ today! 🎉🎊

• Like 26

Thank you for the TGIF daily, Rich.  Frankenstein is certainly appropriate for the start of Halloween weekend.  We're starting to become a bit less hermits than we've been the last 18 months.  I don't really know a lot about lemurs and don't think I've ever seen one in the flesh.  I love the Burke quote and have been through the Panama Canal many times, most recently on MS Prinsendam.  I'll pass on the Tuna.  My alternative is Tropical Fruit Cup, Bleechers Macaroni and Cheese, and Blueberry-Mango Crisp as served on MS Amsterdam October 29, 2017:

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2017/10/dishes29.jpg

Leave in under half an hour to meet the radiologist.  Will be away most of the morning.

Today’s care list:

57redbird DH awaiting delayed prostate cancer surgery after testing positive
Welfare of furloughed crews
cunorl’s (lymphona) and DH’s (stroke) sisters
kakalina with spreading lung cancer
irishjim DW with broken arm
marshhawk’s DH recovering from vascular surgery
From the rotation:
cat shepard’s friend recovering from aggressive chemo
StLouisSal not hearing from friend with liver transplant
NextOne  DDIL with long haul Covid

Celebrations and Shoutouts

Welcome aboard NCTribeFan
Nieuw Statendam arriving in Everglades
2 BHB in Everglades Saturday (Cruise for NA, crew changer for NS Fri-Sat)
2 days with SusieKIslandGirl
4 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
Kazu filling in for dfish
Several dailyites getting boosters
1Angelcat biopsy complete (awaiting results)
Last day for Vict0riann and sailingdutchy
Lady President// and Gail& Marty  at sea
Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 29
  • Thanks 7

Thanks for the Daily Report.

Good morning Dailyites.

As others have said, it's appropriate to celebrate Frankenstein as we approach Hallowe'en.  They just played "The Monster Mash" on the radio.🙂  Hermits are interesting, and we like hermit cookies too.😉 

Great quote.

Not a fan of tuna so I'll pass on the meal.

Hope the drink of the day and wine are good.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a wonderful Friday.

Stay safe.

• Like 25

Good morning, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

Appropriate that the start of Halloween weekend is Frankenstein Day. I've been known to be a hermit at times. I am fond of lemurs mainly because one grandson took to a plush one given to him by another grandparent as a baby. I made him a lemur lovey when he was 2, (pictured below). He turned 8 Saturday and lemurs are still his favorite.

The meal sounds great, looking forward to the recipe(s).

Love the quote.

More of the same here today, but progress is being made.

@rafinmd Roy, I hope all goes well with the radiologist today.

Be safe, be kind and have a fabulous Friday everyone.

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

20151217_140403.thumb.jpg.cbcd940d5fd665c3d44ffdc2b7f2f8c4.jpg

• Like 30

Good afternoon.

Thank you for today's daily Rich and Roy for today's care, celebrations and shout out lists.

Interesting days and quote.

Nice food and drink.

We have not seen today's location so I'm looking forward to seeing photos.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone on the care list.

Take care.

Graham.

Screenshot_20211029_115921.jpg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

Good morning. Quick post this morning.  I would like to request prayers for  my friends Frank and Rita.  He is having back surgery on Nov. 3 after having it put off for months.  His DW is so stressed.  I feel we all have been hermits for the past 18 months.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Cremet: (I could not find a photo)

Ingredients
1 L dark rum
50 g sugar
1 fresh cinnamon
whole coffee
1/2 lemon

Preparation

Cremat is a popular drink in Catalonia, north east of the Spanish peninsula. It is drunk along the Mediterranean Catalan coast, which is known as "Costa Brava". While it burns, people sing traditional songs called "habaneres". Probably Catalan sailors that traveled from Cuba invented it while on board.Add all ingredients to a terracotta pot. On the side, heat up some rum on the stove. Once the rum is hot, light it and slowly pour it into the terracotta pot. Stir the beverage slowly until 2/3 of the liquid remains, then serve. Serves 8 people.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 4

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  I’ll pass on today’s meal suggestion although I know the cats would be thrilled to have it as a meal.  I did book the NA for a cruise tour in 2023.  We got the aft corner cabin port side which will be nice since the cruise portion is southbound.

Apparently today is also National Cat Day.  Mine think everyday is cat day.

image.thumb.png.e07bf3ad95d3bb1f3702d371a45eab64.png

• Like 28
  • Haha 3

Good morning Rich. Thank you for taking time to make our Daily. 

Prayers out to you Roy on your doctor visit this morning.

Sandi and Ann hope your arms aren't sore today.

Little done yesterday on remodel. Nothing done getting the internet and cable working. 😡😡 supposedly this afternoon. Uh huh.

Our neighbor's told us last night they were putting their home on the market and moving closer to Houston to be by family. We will really miss them.

I have my yearly eye check up this morning so I need to get moving.

Prayers, cheers, and blessings

• Like 28

Good morning, everyone.  

We have a bit of rain this morning but we've been assured it will clear out in time for football tonight.  I have to buy candy for the trick or treaters.   Maybe on the way home from the pool.

I love tuna steaks, although I do like mine a bit more done than is pictured in most recipes.  I am squeamish about any fish that isn't cooked completely.   Guess who you won't find eating sushi.  There are a zillion different marinades that you can use with tuna.  I chose three that  you can choose from.  

The first is a lime chili marinade.   I love lime and I know I'd like these flavors.  https://www.recipegirl.com/lime-chili-marinated-tuna-steaks/

Lime-Marinated-Tuna-4.thumb.jpg.42b1215a5ba275153b48132788a23331.jpg

Here is one with a little twist on the lime marinade:   https://www.foxvalleyfoodie.com/marinated-tuna-steaks/

marinated-tuna-steaks.thumb.jpg.aafdf09c277b23e0a912a698f0ebfd40.jpg

This one has a different take on the marinade.   https://www.food.com/recipe/marinated-grilled-tuna-steak-304590

1031192355_marinatedtunasteak2.jpg.8e24e53bc9b1e7a4b33765e35694e31d.jpg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 7

Quick Update: DGD tested negative again. So, she and DGS are back to school today just in time for what, at the ages of 12 and 9, are their all important Halloween celebrations. 

Thanks for your support. Your care and prayer have surrounded us.

My prayers continue for those in need, and I join in the cheers for those who are celebrating!

• Like 32
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, everyone!

I enjoyed reading Frankenstein.  I haven't enjoyed very many of the movie versions.  I was disappointed in the Kenneth Branagh version.  I thought Robert De Nero as the creature was not a good casting choice, although I think he's a very good actor.

I'm pretty much a hermit, so here's to me!  I've actually loved staying in the house and working from home.  My DD does worry about me a bit, especially as I age (I turn 69 while on Eurodam in a couple of weeks).  I'm an introvert and just don't like to socialize.  Except when I get on a ship.  Then, I'm a different person.  Must be something in the sea air! 😁

Love the quote.  Love tuna, but I don't really cook.  I like mine just barely seared.  That cremat sound yummy.  

My Zuiderdam cruise was a partial Panama Canal.  I did the excursion on the small boat through the canal and really enjoyed it.  So I did see those locks, just not from the big ship.

Would love to be in Marseille today.  I was on the Carnival Vista inaugural sailing and that was our last port stop before arriving in Barcelona.  Did a great private tour to Cassis, a winery, and to Aix au Provence.  Unfortunately, it rained the whole time we were on our walking tour in Aix but it was great to get the opportunity to use a little of my very-limited French-speaking ability as it had been about 20 years since I'd been in France.

• Like 28

45 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Good morning. Quick post this morning.  I would like to request prayers for  my friends Frank and Rita.  He is having back surgery on Nov. 3 after having it put off for months.  His DW is so stressed.  I feel we all have been hermits for the past 18 months.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Cremet: (I could not find a photo)

Ingredients
1 L dark rum
50 g sugar
1 fresh cinnamon
whole coffee
1/2 lemon

Preparation

Cremat is a popular drink in Catalonia, north east of the Spanish peninsula. It is drunk along the Mediterranean Catalan coast, which is known as "Costa Brava". While it burns, people sing traditional songs called "habaneres". Probably Catalan sailors that traveled from Cuba invented it while on board.Add all ingredients to a terracotta pot. On the side, heat up some rum on the stove. Once the rum is hot, light it and slowly pour it into the terracotta pot. Stir the beverage slowly until 2/3 of the liquid remains, then serve. Serves 8 people.

I will put your friends on my prayer list.

• Like 12

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! A fun combo of days.

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy! Good luck today at the radiologist. Morning Dailyite family. My sore arm disappeared during my first gym class yesterday. Perhaps the muscles working chased it away. We got a short-lived, intense tail of the storm sweeping through the Northwestern part of the state. Lots of downed branches in the common areas and on the streets. Not much planned for today. Cooler temps should make the walking great. 

William Shatner has started to release pictures from his space travel. This is my favorite. 🙃

D45E4479-29D6-4ADF-8097-18FD0C74B678.jpeg.d2cf0e40814643656f3316c77f627e56.jpeg

Pass on the meal. The drink sounds interesting, but I would need to purchase a terra cotta pot. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Dei 2016 Vino Nobile di Montepulciano Tuscany

This Sangiovese is reasonably priced and all released vintages have excellent ratings. Quite a few online distributors with prices starting at $23.99.

Winemaker Notes

#13 Wine Enthusiast Top 100 of 2020

Vino Nobile di Montepulciano is a brilliant color with hints of garnet as it ages. Intense bouquet, pungent and ripe, with aroma of ripe cherry, plum and violets. Flavorful, balanced and persistent, it has soft, velvety tannins.

WE95 Wine Enthusiast

Fragrant blue flower, crushed aromatic herb and wild berry aromas form the nose of this smooth, full-bodied red. A blend of 90% Sangiovese and 10% Canaiolo Nero, it’s savory and loaded with finesse, delivering juicy black cherry, ripe blackberry, truffle and cocoa before a star anise finish. Supple tannins and bright acidity provide seamless support and balance. Drink 2021–2031. Editors' Choice.
JS93 James Suckling
Vivid and energetic red with cherry and orange-peel character. Full-bodied, tight and linear with pretty tannins and focus. Drink now or hold.
D91 Decanter
Harvest was later than in 2015 at Dei. Due to the late rainfall, they picked in stages, starting on 5 October and concluding on 16 October. This brings together grapes from three different areas with diverse soils, altitudes and expositions, giving a general expression of the Montepulciano region. Despite significant ripeness of fruit, there's plenty of freshness and purity. Glossy dark red cherry is nuanced by thyme and rosemary. The tannins are big and upfront but padded with sufficient plump fruit, with some juiciness appearing on the finish. Drinking Window 2019 - 2028
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 4

49 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Prayers for Frank and Rita winging their way.

• Like 17

Good morning to all.I celebrate all of the days and the recipes look great.I have not been to the port of the day but look forward to pictures.

@summer slope,I am sending prayers for your friends’ surgery and hope for a good result.

@rafinmd,Roy,I hope your appointment goes well. It has been a long week for you.

My family in Plymouth county Massachusetts have been without power since the storm except for Camilla’s Grandma.She has had 7 people and the baby in her 2 bedroom townhouse!Fortunately they all get along….
I just realized that I had to get candy or Sunday.We have a lot of children in the neighborhood and it will be nice to see them doing something normal for a change.

@dobiemom,I shared your 3 am wake up today also.At leastI had a good book to read…..

Terry

• Like 25

Best of luck today, Roy.  Prayers for you and others on the care list.

I have decided to forego traditional trick or treating this Sunday night.  No interaction with kids who may not be vaccinated.  I will leave treats outside with a note to “please take two”.  We’ll see how it goes.  Katherine 

• Like 24