Positive Covid Test whilst on RC!

Hi,

Unfortunately 48 hours into our cruise my daughter tested positive for covid (very mild symptoms) this was 5 days ago, she was moved to a cabin near the medical centre. My son and I stayed are confined in our original cabin (we tested negative but as a close contact we’re isolated)

The cruise will end tomorrow in Barcelona and I was wondering if anyone knows what will happen next? Or has been through something similar? I presume we will have to quarantine further? 

RC have been great but information is really hard to obtain. 

Any guidance appreciated. 

There was a similar case reported here last month - someone tested positive at the terminal in Barcelona at check in. They were denied boarding and had to quarantine in a hotel for 10 days, paid for by Royal.

Different circumstances here, but given that the Spanish authorities require everyone on board aged 12+ to be tested before returning to Barcelona, I would expect to be quarantined on arrival if you can’t show a negative result.

At least Royal will pay any quarantine costs, and also for rescheduled flights home.

Edited by gumshoe958

30 minutes ago, gumshoe958 said:

There was a similar case reported here last month - someone tested positive at the terminal in Barcelona at check in. They were denied boarding and had to quarantine in a hotel for 10 days, paid for by Royal.

Different circumstances here, but given that the Spanish authorities require everyone on board aged 12+ to be tested before returning to Barcelona, I would expect to be quarantined on arrival if you can’t show a negative result.

At least Royal will pay any quarantine costs, and also for rescheduled flights home.

Thanks, I’m hoping our 5 days isolation onboard counts towards the 10 days, we haven’t been retested and have ask guest services to confirm the next steps but I’m yet to hear anything.

I will try and find that post as it might have some useful info, even if it names the hotel. 

3 minutes ago, Rangers1982 said:

Thanks, I’m hoping our 5 days isolation onboard counts towards the 10 days, we haven’t been retested and have ask guest services to confirm the next steps but I’m yet to hear anything.

I will try and find that post as it might have some useful info, even if it names the hotel. 

It was the Fira Congress. 

The poster concerned said there was a bit of confusion initially about who had to pay the bill but Royal sorted everything out.

This was the thread: 

3 hours ago, Rangers1982 said:

Hi,

Unfortunately 48 hours into our cruise my daughter tested positive for covid (very mild symptoms) this was 5 days ago, she was moved to a cabin near the medical centre. My son and I stayed are confined in our original cabin (we tested negative but as a close contact we’re isolated)

The cruise will end tomorrow in Barcelona and I was wondering if anyone knows what will happen next? Or has been through something similar? I presume we will have to quarantine further? 

RC have been great but information is really hard to obtain. 

Any guidance appreciated. 

Thank you for testing her on board.  Sorry she was positive and you have to quarantine for the duration of your cruise.  Keep us updated on the procedures.

We noticed an overnight cough and followed the guidelines in the cabin to stay in your cabin and contact the medical centre. We had previously tested everyday from Thursday to Sunday and she passed the embarkation test on the that Sunday, then symptoms appeared on the Tuesday morning and she tested positive (which ended our cruise) very upset young children and a horrible experience for anyone, but I will say we’ve been looked after by RC. 

• Like 5

Those who tested positive on my recent Jewel cruise were put into very luxurious villas in Cyprus- food and drink delivered daily and medical visits daily. They had to stay there for the 10 days required by the Cyprus government. All paid for by RCI.

Best wishes. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, soremekun said:

When it's not required, I wonder if some people experience mild symptoms but decide not to get tested because of what may happen.

Even if its not mild, people will not go and get tested because of "what may happen" The recent CDC extension of the CSO talked about a case where one person did not report and wound up dead shortly after disembarking the cruise.

• Like 3

Update* we were disembarked today and taken straight to quarantine hotel (which isn’t very good) no tea/coffee, no room service, no fridge. No choice of meals, a bag is left at your door if you don’t like it tough, if you have an allergy tough. It’s absolutely appalling food my 7 year old son has only eaten a bread roll today, I like/need coffee and rang reception to see if I could get one and the phone was put down on me. Prison would be nicer.

We haven’t had any formal communication but it has been suggested our 5 days of quarantine onboard won’t count towards our 10 days, which if true I would be annoyed at Royal for not disembarking us sooner in one of the ports of call we had.

The only good news is my wife and 11 year old daughter are in the room opposite, we managed to open up both doors briefly to see each other and say hi (at a distance) RC were great onboard despite the circumstances but now I feel they have Royaly shafted us, told us a name of a different hotel that we would be going to, told us a $100 per person for food. But we can’t order anything. 

This is the only cruise I will come home lighter. 

I do think that there should be an agreement where the accommodations will be in line with what you experienced on board the ship. I know that not all cruise lines are paying for a quarantine hotel, so it is wonderful that Royal Caribbean is, but to put you in a hotel that’s subpar, is not cool. I would try to contact Royal Caribbean and see if any improvements can be made. I wish you all the best!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Leewads said:

Update* we were disembarked today and taken straight to quarantine hotel (which isn’t very good) no tea/coffee, no room service, no fridge. No choice of meals, a bag is left at your door if you don’t like it tough, if you have an allergy tough. It’s absolutely appalling food my 7 year old son has only eaten a bread roll today, I like/need coffee and rang reception to see if I could get one and the phone was put down on me. Prison would be nicer.

We haven’t had any formal communication but it has been suggested our 5 days of quarantine onboard won’t count towards our 10 days, which if true I would be annoyed at Royal for not disembarking us sooner in one of the ports of call we had.

The only good news is my wife and 11 year old daughter are in the room opposite, we managed to open up both doors briefly to see each other and say hi (at a distance) RC were great onboard despite the circumstances but now I feel they have Royaly shafted us, told us a name of a different hotel that we would be going to, told us a $100 per person for food. But we can’t order anything. 

Sorry to hear the hotel is sub-par. But that sounds pretty much the same as what you’d get in a UK quarantine hotel if you’d been to a red list country. The hotel provides whatever service the government pays it to provide. You are not the customer so you get what you’re given and don’t get a choice.

It may well be that Royal had little choice where to send you - that may have been the Spanish authorities’ decision, and they dictate the service you receive.

As for letting you off at one of the Italian ports - that would depend on whether the Italian authorities agreed. And - sorry to be frank - why would they? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Leewads said:

You may try Royal on Social Media to get answers and let them know the conditions of your quarantine.  It’s possible Royal is not getting the hotel and service (for your family) that they are being charged for.   Reports of others  quarantined at foreign ports sometimes mention a Royal Caribbean rep at their hotel.    To coordinate any needs, for example if you need any prescription medicine refilled.  Please reach out to Royal - by phone, email, social media,   Good luck !   I hope your daughter recovers quickly. 

Edited by BSocial

9 hours ago, Leewads said:

I wish only the best for you and your Family!!....I hope this very sad tale gives American's pause if they plan to sail in Europe right now...

• Like 2