Holland America experience with masks

pianomanorlando

On 10/30/2021 at 6:27 PM, sambamama said:

I just came off the Nieuw Amsterdam 7 day Caribbean cruise. Masks were required inside except when dining. They were also required in some ports, sometimes almost the whole time. Most compliance was excellent. Some were non-compliant. Some wore them below their nose continually. Some wore them sometimes but not always. Crew and staff were excellent in compliance. 

curious about the consequences of being non compliant, or wearing them below the nose. Any?

1 hour ago, hmorrow said:

curious about the consequences of being non compliant, or wearing them below the nose. Any?

From our Rotterdam 10/20/21 cruise......

Only experienced one reprimand and it was harmless.......

At breakfast at the lido there was a "hall monitor" crew member at the entrance area encouraging you to use the sink to wash your hands and when I was heading back for orange juice, I forgot my mask and she politely said "where's your mask?" .

I tried my best to stay "in compliance" when peeps were watching.....I did not see anyone being reprimanded, taken off to the brig or forced to walk the plank.  Peer pressure seemed to keep us in line.

We will be so glad when the mask theatre is behind us.......

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

From our Rotterdam 10/20/21 cruise......

Only experienced one reprimand and it was harmless.......

At breakfast at the lido there was a "hall monitor" crew member at the entrance area encouraging you to use the sink to wash your hands and when I was heading back for orange juice, I forgot my mask and she politely said "where's your mask?" .

I tried my best to stay "in compliance" when peeps were watching.....I did not see anyone being reprimanded, taken off to the brig or forced to walk the plank.  Peer pressure seemed to keep us in line.

We will be so glad when the mask theatre is behind us.......

I hear ya.....I'm planning to have a wine glass in my hand, a lot-lol

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Please don't use that "trick".  This is all for the greater good.  Don't put the staff in the position to ask.  Just do the right thing.

And they aren't fooling anyone with the glass in hand trick. Or thinking they're invisible when the lights go out. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Please don't use that "trick".  This is all for the greater good.  Don't put the staff in the position to ask.  Just do the right thing.

Geesh, people, it was a joke....i ALWAYS do the right thing

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Brentwood Bay said:

Totally agree with you Florida_gal_50.  This is serious folks and for everyone's protection.  If you don't have the intelligence or responsibility to travel safely,  please stay home.

don't you see the lol

it was a joke

3 hours ago, ShipWalker said:

Totally agree. If you are afraid to wear a mask, just stay home.

you don't know me. I'm not afraid to wear one. And I'm a stickler about doing the right thing. 

For goodness sake- lighten up. Didn't mean to push so many buttons with a joke.

• Like 2

On 11/8/2021 at 4:19 PM, Florida_gal_50 said:

I stayed pre cruise in a hotel in California and pretty much no one was wearing masks in the hotel and at their free breakfast.  It made me feel uncomfortable.  I wore mine.  We all need to do what works for us.  I’m ok wearing a mask.

Was this in San Diego?  I am amazed.  Here in San Francisco you must wear a mask indoors.

Was on Nov. 7-14 cruise. Encountered a young teen a few times indoors and outdoors not wearing a face mask!

Saw teen in Lido waiting to order food without a face mask!

Finally notified officer and he approached teen about putting on face mask!

Surprised that this teen got away with not wearing face mask!

Wondered why this young teen was even on this supposedly 100% vaccinated cruise?

8 minutes ago, 808hulalullaby said:

Was on Nov. 7-14 cruise. Encountered a young teen a few times indoors and outdoors not wearing a face mask!

Saw teen in Lido waiting to order food without a face mask!

Finally notified officer and he approached teen about putting on face mask!

Surprised that this teen got away with not wearing face mask!

Wondered why this young teen was even on this supposedly 100% vaccinated cruise?

FDA approved vaccine for 12-15 year-olds back in May.

3 hours ago, hmorrow said:

Didn't mean to push so many buttons with a joke.

There was no way to know it was a joke. There certainly isn't anything funny about walking around with an empty wine glass when you are supposed to be masked. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, RuthC said:

There was no way to know it was a joke. There certainly isn't anything funny about walking around with an empty wine glass when you are supposed to be masked. 

Right. It's similar to people who say that they'll always be drinking from their cup of water on an airplane to avoid the mask requirement there.

I am seeing very strong support for masking requirements on HAL here.

Same rules on Princess.

Celebrity and NCL have no mask rules on US sailings.

A clear choice for wherever your feelings lie on the issue.

It will be very interesting to compare load factors down the road to see whose rules or lack were more popular with prospective passengers.

It will also be highly informative to compare onboard Covid case counts.

• Like 2

The November 5 cruise on the Rotterdam was a respectful group following the mask requirements. 

The November 10 cruise was the opposite with some (mostly Seniors) walking around the Lido from station to station maskless.

Personally I don't Iike the mask deal but I followed HAL's rules. Witnessing this left me thinking and feeling how disrespectful this was to the crew that they are double masked serving people that are maskless.  Sorry but that's just being selfish and entitled when you knew the rule BEFORE you boarded and even had an "out" for FCC and you disrespected the crew like that.  My hope is a few read this and if the shoe fits.......Just follow the rules and let the wonderful crew do what they do and not have to police people.

That being said we had an AWESOME 16 days.  The Rotterdam is beautiful and we had great excursions in Bimini, Dominica and Nevis. We are coming home Sunday.  HMC tomorrow.

Edited by Nymich
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, Nymich said:

The November 5 cruise on the Rotterdam was a respectful group following the mask requirements. 

The November 10 cruise was the opposite with some (mostly Seniors) walking around the Lido from station to station maskless.

Personally I don't Iike the mask deal but I followed HAL's rules. Witnessing this left me thinking and feeling how disrespectful this was to the crew that they are double masked serving people that are maskless.  Sorry but that's just being selfish and entitled when you knew the rule BEFORE you boarded and even had an "out" for FCC and you disrespected the crew like that.  My hope is a few read this and if the shoe fits.......Just follow the rules and let the wonderful crew do what they do and not have to police people.

That being said we had an AWESOME 16 days.  The Rotterdam is beautiful and we had great excursions in Bimini, Dominica and Nevis. We are coming home Sunday.  HMC tomorrow.

It would seem given the same ship on consecutive voyages had a very different experience with the following of rules that any prediction of what a future sailing might be like is really subject to "past performance does not guarantee future performance".

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

It would seem given the same ship on consecutive voyages had a very different experience with the following of rules that any prediction of what a future sailing might be like is really subject to "past performance does not guarantee future performance".

I don't think so.  The cruise was over twice as long..  We had twice as many people on the November 10 bunch and "some" selfish cruisers who did not want to be respectful to the crew.

Edited by Nymich

21 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

How does you, being fully vaccinated, wearing a mask protect the fully vaccinated crew and other fully vaccinated passengers?  I truly do not understand the rationale and am interested in you reasoning.

I can think of several reasons quite easily. Even those fully vaccinated CAN become infected at a low level before the immune system rallies to fight off or eliminate the virus. And those people can pass on that infection to others.

At best, vaccination is about 95% effective. That means 5% ineffective -- and of course the number in real life can be higher depending on which vaccine you received. The J&J vaccine has a real-world efficacy of about 81%. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I can think of several reasons quite easily. Even those fully vaccinated CAN become infected at a low level before the immune system rallies to fight off or eliminate the virus. And those people can pass on that infection to others.

At best, vaccination is about 95% effective. That means 5% ineffective -- and of course the number in real life can be higher depending on which vaccine you received. The J&J vaccine has a real-world efficacy of about 81%. 

I believe that you are posting efficacy numbers from the original trials.  Actual numbers with the Delta variant are considerable lower with Pfizer showing in the 70's asymptomatic/mild disease, Moderna doing a bit better, and J&J doing worse (some studies showing closer to 50%). Bottom line vaccination reduces risk and reduces spread, but unfortunately with the Delta variant does not totally prevent infection and spread in some cases. Efficacy does go up after booster, but it also will start dropping again with time (yet to be determined).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1