Non-vaccinated passengers

Snake235

On 11/1/2021 at 4:57 PM, jedi bobs said:

As long as other contries have vaccine mandates for unvaccanated people, that means that all cruise lines must adhear to it, for example the Bahamas has a Vaccine mandade that a ship can not even dock to any of there ports with an unvacanated person on it with the exceptions being under 12 and medicaly except, so don't expevt the rules to go away anytime soon.

I would agree.  Until all these islands get their people vaccinated the rules aren't going away anytime soon.  Remember that the US is one of the few countries that has more vaccinations available then people that want them or doing boosters.  Most countries are still begging for vaccines.

• Like 1

I was just on a cruise last week.  Standing in line at guest services, I overheard a very irate mom stating her displeasure at not being allowed to disembark at any of the ports.  Her children were unvaxxed and she did not book the bubble tours, so the family had to stay onboard.    I felt her disappointment, but it is so very clearly stated on the Carnival website.  Everyone who is not vaccinated should read it and understand.

I don't see the protocols changing anytime soon.  Most of the islands will not allow unvaccinated passengers into their country, to protect their population.    Now that children 5 and up are able to be vaccinated, the exemptions will be few and far between.   Signed doctor letter only.

• Like 2

Besides the above cited CDC rules and visited ports rules, the other consideration is that the cruise lines do not want any outbreak to occur on their ships for fear of the CDC shutting them down again which would be disaster.  Even when they can start relaxing the rules expect it to happen very gradually as they inch towards full cruising again.  I expect this very gradual movement to happen in 2022 with full sailing sometime in 2023 or beyond..  

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

No, a cruise to nowhere is going back to the same port.

Thank you for educating me... the major flaw in your argument is that if this were in fact legal, then there would have never been a need to get S.593 (ATRA) passed in order for the Alaska season this year. 

The CFR also does not align with what you are claiming:

No vessel shall transport, either directly or by way of a foreign port, any passenger or merchandise between points in the United States embraced within the coastwise laws 

Definitions:

Cruise to nowhere: Cruise leaves a port, goes out to sea for a day or two, then returns to the same port.

Closed loop cruise: Cruise leaves a port, heads to other destinations, then returns to the same port.

The PVSA prevents ships from sailing between any two US ports without a stop at a distant foreign port. There is no rule in the PVSA that requires ships to go elsewhere.

The issue with cruises to nowhere is solely an issue with immigration and the visas of the crew. A ruling was made that cruises that don't go to a foreign port would require the crew to hold a different, more expensive, visa. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 1025cruise said:

Definitions:

Cruise to nowhere: Cruise leaves a port, goes out to sea for a day or two, then returns to the same port.

Closed loop cruise: Cruise leaves a port, heads to other destinations, then returns to the same port.

The PVSA prevents ships from sailing between any two US ports without a stop at a distant foreign port. There is no rule in the PVSA that requires ships to go elsewhere.

The issue with cruises to nowhere is solely an issue with immigration and the visas of the crew. A ruling was made that cruises that don't go to a foreign port would require the crew to hold a different, more expensive, visa. 

Right, a cruise that starts at one port and ends at another goes somewhere, and is by definition not a cruise to nowhere.

And I mentioned the more expensive visa issue several posts ago. Thank you for again emphasizing that point.

4 hours ago, tm_aw_love said:

Thank you for educating me... the major flaw in your argument is that if this were in fact legal, then there would have never been a need to get S.593 (ATRA) passed in order for the Alaska season this year. 

The CFR also does not align with what you are claiming:

No vessel shall transport, either directly or by way of a foreign port, any passenger or merchandise between points in the United States embraced within the coastwise laws 

They had to pass that law because they were stopping at various US ports without a distant stop in a foreign port as Canada was not allowing port stops. They very narrowly amended the PVSA giving a time limit and specifically mentioning which ships were allowed the exemption.

On 11/1/2021 at 7:58 AM, Snake235 said:

What exact restrictions are in place for non-vaccinated passengers?

Just off of the Mardi Gras. I asked how can you tell who and who is not vaccinated. Answer. By scanning the ships card. Once on the ship I was NEVER once asked to show my ships card. So that tells me no restrictions at all.

2 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Just off of the Mardi Gras. I asked how can you tell who and who is not vaccinated. Answer. By scanning the ships card. Once on the ship I was NEVER once asked to show my ships card. So that tells me no restrictions at all.

After reading the protocols for vaccinated and unvaccinated passengers, I wondered how you were supposed to know who was unvaccinated to make sure they stayed 6 feet away from you. I questioned John Heald and he said, oh, we know who's unvaccinated. From that I took it that there are no adult unvaccinated passengers. Has anyone heard of Carnival giving any adult a medical or religious exemption from being vaccinated? The CEO of Norwegian Cruise Lines recently announced that their 100% vaccination policy, no exemptions, will be extended indefinitely, until CDC says it's no longer necessary. Do any other cruise lines have this policy?

On 11/1/2021 at 3:14 PM, Sarcastic Mama said:

Just a question, but do you think they will ever open up to non vaccinated people?  Just asking what people think the cruise lines will do. 

Talk to your agent about a vaccine exemption. 

He/she will get you necessary information from the specific cruise line. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/1/2021 at 7:51 AM, 1025cruise said:

For the most part, the only unvaccinated passengers are under 12.

I wish that was true and it was what I thought but they are giving medical exemptions too to adults.  Pretty sure someone can falsify a letter from their doctor.  Very frustrating.

Edited by txgal08

On 11/4/2021 at 1:33 PM, Florings said:

I was just on a cruise last week.  Standing in line at guest services, I overheard a very irate mom stating her displeasure at not being allowed to disembark at any of the ports.  Her children were unvaxxed and she did not book the bubble tours, so the family had to stay onboard.    I felt her disappointment, but it is so very clearly stated on the Carnival website.  Everyone who is not vaccinated should read it and understand.

I don't see the protocols changing anytime soon.  Most of the islands will not allow unvaccinated passengers into their country, to protect their population.    Now that children 5 and up are able to be vaccinated, the exemptions will be few and far between.   Signed doctor letter only.

Exactly!  It is very clearly written on Carnival's site.  You cannot get off if you are not vaccinated unless you book the bubble tour

21 minutes ago, txgal08 said:

I wish that was true and it was what I thought but they are giving medical exemptions too to adults.  Pretty sure someone can falsify a letter from their doctor.  Very frustrating.

I did say for the most part. I would really hope that anyone requesting a medical exemption wouldn't lie about it, nor would a doctor sign a note if it was not needed.

3 hours ago, jsglow said:

The way I personally view it....

I'm safer on a ship than at my local grocery store.  Got Jab #3 yesterday.  Good to go.  If it every gets me, I'll almost certainly recover.  You do you.

I agree 100%!

On 11/20/2021 at 10:29 AM, txgal08 said:

Falsifying medical documents is  a $250,000 fine or five years imprisonment.  Does not seem worth the risk, but what do I know.  The bigger problem is that the cruise lines are stuck in the middle of international law and if the passengers revolt, the cruise line pays the price.