MSC Meraviglia - November 6th - Hopefully Live - Trip Report

misguy

The itinerary change wasnt a big deal for us, we didnt care if it just went around in circles for a week, the one you said you bought was actually the third itinerary for this cruise. When we bought it was Ocean Cay, Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman and Cozumel, then it went to Ocean cay on either end and Cozumel and Costa Maya.

For the internet, I got the single device streaming on my cell phone and used the phone hotspot feature for my laptop and other phones.

I got the easy package and it seemed like they were already on the easy plus menu.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cruizdude said:

Is there quite a bit of music variety playing throughout the ship like you would see on carnival and Norwegian?

Not really.  We felt the entertainment was lacking.   No bands by the pool.  No cirque show (as advertised).  Musicians played at odd times.  Two extremely average stage shows.  One magician.  One cover band.  

On 11/13/2021 at 7:11 PM, robc1972 said:

The itinerary change wasnt a big deal for us, we didnt care if it just went around in circles for a week, the one you said you bought was actually the third itinerary for this cruise. When we bought it was Ocean Cay, Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman and Cozumel, then it went to Ocean cay on either end and Cozumel and Costa Maya.

For the internet, I got the single device streaming on my cell phone and used the phone hotspot feature for my laptop and other phones.

I got the easy package and it seemed like they were already on the easy plus menu.

Did you have many drink options?  We like daiquiris?

12 hours ago, misand said:

Did you have many drink options?  We like daiquiris?

Strawberry daiquiris, blue Hawaiians, rum and coke, cosmopolitans, long islands, there was a QR code on one of the bars that listed everything we could get. Beer was just miler lite and heiniken.

The website says two different things for whats included in the easy package and what we got on the boat actually included more than what we thought we could get.

The internet didnt work for any of us on Ocean Cay, whenever I signed in it would tell me I only bought the single device plan and it was already in use on a device, even though it was the same device I was trying to use on their island.

• Like 1

On 11/13/2021 at 6:11 PM, robc1972 said:

Was it easy enough to distinguish onboard the difference between easy and easy plus?  Our cruise isn't until February.  We have the Aurea package which is the easy package for drinks.  Hoping to avoid chaos!

On 11/8/2021 at 6:28 AM, Native Floridian 26 said:

Are the Classic Favorites available every day?  Same?  Also is lox or smoked salmon available for breakfast either in the MDR or the buffet?  

I hope so - its a standard breakfast item on a cruise for me - always been able to get in in MDR but not buffet on MSC.

On 11/14/2021 at 4:12 PM, joeyancho said:

Not really.  We felt the entertainment was lacking.   No bands by the pool.  No cirque show (as advertised).  Musicians played at odd times.  Two extremely average stage shows.  One magician.  One cover band.  

Cirque du soleil went bust - no longer in operation so no longer on MSC ships

5 hours ago, Janet&Carl said:

Cirque du soleil went bust - no longer in operation so no longer on MSC ships

Another company is producing these shows for MSC now: 
https://www.msccruises.co.za/news/msc-virtuosa-carousel-production

On the Virtuosa the shows can be booked, 10 € with a cocktail sounds attractive. 

• Like 1

Wonderful review, many thanks!...

As far as I can remember RCI charged me some $15 for their steakhouse fillet mignon offering some 6 years ago... So, paid steaks are not new on cruise ships. MSC has had their version as an extra pay for years as well, and their current version seems reasonably priced.

Post covid menus are far more limited than before though, hence one notes the unavailability of some free items like the "odd" small and usually lower quality minute steaks they used to have back in the day!... But that's life. Making the menus on this current uncertain world with a very diverse pax count from one week to the other might to be a true nightmare I couldn't imagine... And companies will need to recap from the current huge losses they're incurring right now. We will all to lose at one point. Either way less options, more expensive ones or a mix of both will mark the next 5 to 10 years to come. On another thread there was a link for the Divina bar menus. $6 for a "simple" non alcoholic cocktail or $6.50 for such an ice cream milkshake speaks for them all considering that some 3 years ago they were charged at little more than half that price. Either way: As far as cruising continues to be somewhat affordable for most of us despite the obvious limitations, all is good with me...

MSC's entertainment has always been sort of low key all the time since I started with them some nearly 20 years ago!... Again... Difficult to restart the machine as it ever was before the pandemic. It's not like to press an app button on our smartphone!... As long as a nice pianist is playing on the atrium and a duo on one of the main bars that's OK on me... Wonderful to know they hired another company to replace Cirque du Soleil that has gone bust during the pandemic!... Hope their shows to at leas meet the formerly one's caliber with the time!...

Have a nice day!...

Edited by Nunagoras
  • Like 1

On 11/12/2021 at 10:54 PM, Grenadinka said:

Could you tell about thermal spa? Is it easy to book it on board? What’s the price for the week for couples?

Thank you!

I had a free hour in the thermal suite as a Black club member.  They give a free status match (it was a pain for me, but they matched Hilton Diamond to MSC Black).  I loved it, there were hot tubs with loungers, multiple sauna types, steam room, and various shower types.  If I wasn't with young kids taking up most of my days, I would have bought a week pass and spent the first hour and last hour of every day there to loosen and relax.  Can't recall price

On 11/19/2021 at 2:06 AM, Nunagoras said:

MSC's entertainment has always been sort of low key all the time since I started with them some nearly 20 years ago!...

Depends. I found 5 or 10 years before they had the by far best singers (classical music, opera) on board. People nowadays maybe cannot imagine, but they had real Opera professionals from outside coming on board in Genoa, performing one night and leaving again in Civita. 

Nowadays unfortunately not much left, after Covid maybe nothing. 

• Like 1