Should we buy drink package before or during cruise? Also, ? on specialty scheduling.

njpln

I couldn’t find this in prior threads, so I’m asking for our first Oceania cruise.  Is there a price differential between the drink packages when buying pre cruise or during the cruise? Any advantage either way?

We bookedour specialty nights and only could get shared tables. We will try to get a couple of small tables once onboard.  We are in a Penthouse suite, should we ask our butler or what’s the best ways to do this?

Thanks, we can’t wait to try Oceania!

No difference in price of drinks packages.

Talk to your Butler, but we always do sharing because we both enjoy the company and makes getting extra reservations at prime times much easier. There’s very few two tops in the Specialties and the upper suites often gobble them up quickly. It does get easier later in your cruise depending upon length of cruise.

One point. If you pre buy the drink package, you get the discount on La Reserve (20%?). If you take the basic as an Olife perk then upgrade once on board you don't get the discount. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pinotlover said:

No difference in price of drinks packages.

Talk to your Butler, but we always do sharing because we both enjoy the company and makes getting extra reservations at prime times much easier. There’s very few two tops in the Specialties and the upper suites often gobble them up quickly. It does get easier later in your cruise depending upon length of cruise.

Different experience here. While we are not super experienced Oceania cruisers, we have been on eight cruises...all in Concierge Class. We have never had a problem booking advance reservations for two in specialties. We book immediately when reservations open for our category which, of course, is after all Penthouse categories have had a chance.

Here is our experience with the drink package. We book with Olife and select the drink option. Then onboard upgrade at $20 each per day. This saves a lot of money vs. buying the upgraded package outright either before or on the cruise. You need to do the math for yourself based on the cost of the Olife perk for your cruise. For us, it has always been more to purchase alone.

• Like 1

On 11/3/2021 at 8:58 PM, edgee said:

Different experience here. While we are not super experienced Oceania cruisers, we have been on eight cruises...all in Concierge Class. We have never had a problem booking advance reservations for two in specialties. We book immediately when reservations open for our category which, of course, is after all Penthouse categories have had a chance.

We missed our window to book, clearly.  We had company when the window to book reservations opened up, and then went on a Mediterranean cruise.  By the time I sat down to do it, all they had was shared tables or 9 o’clock seatings.

Its clearly our fault, But I’m just trying to understand who we go to when we get on board because I believe they always hold some tables.   We’re celebrating a big anniversary, and I would like to get one night for just the two of us.

Edited by njpln

26 minutes ago, njpln said:

Its clearly our fault, But I’m just trying to understand who we go to when we get on board because I believe they always hold some tables.   We’re celebrating a big anniversary, and I would like to get one night for just the two of us.

Have you tried calling Oceania to see if they can see if any tables are open ?

If not  when you board  go to the Dinner reservation desk  on Deck 5  for the Marina or Riviera  or there is usually someone at the entrance to the Terrace  (port side)  that takes the dinner reservations on the smaller ships

If still no luck then just check early each day  to see if any tables have opened up

The GDR is very nice  & the food is equal in quality to  the Specialties  unlike the main stream lines where you need to book the upscale restaurants

another option is to book Privee  for your special night  if you really want the privacy & do not mind the extra fee

Worse case  you have your butler serve you course by course in your PH

JMO

Hmmm.  I don't understand.  If you had an opportunity to schedule with priority, because you are in a Penthouse, but failed to do so....why should you be given priority now an possibly disappoint those that book two-tops as soon as they were able?

13 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

Hmmm.  I don't understand.  If you had an opportunity to schedule with priority, because you are in a Penthouse, but failed to do so....why should you be given priority now an possibly disappoint those that book two-tops as soon as they were able?

Oceania doesn’t always release all the available tables for early bookings for good cause.

People cancel entire cruises or specific dinner reservations for personal reasons.

Butlers count on extra tips by working extra “ miracles”.

Disregard current postings from people on 1/4 filled ships claiming to eat in a Specialty 9 out of 10 nights. That’s not typical except for perhaps those in named Suites. Through the years, Oceania has been on a kind of Sine Curve on the number of extra Specialty reservations they’ll even allow those in PH to have. Ancedotal posting don’t reflect those swings in protocols.

Book as early as you can. If you have a Butler, work with him to get reasonable additional reservations. Don’t expect to be allowed to eat in Jacques nearly every evening. Oceania management wants you in the GDR or The Terrace on a regular basis.

6 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Oceania doesn’t always release all the available tables for early bookings for good cause.

People cancel entire cruises or specific dinner reservations for personal reasons.

Butlers count on extra tips by working extra “ miracles”.

Disregard current postings from people on 1/4 filled ships claiming to eat in a Specialty 9 out of 10 nights. That’s not typical except for perhaps those in named Suites. Through the years, Oceania has been on a kind of Sine Curve on the number of extra Specialty reservations they’ll even allow those in PH to have. Ancedotal posting don’t reflect those swings in protocols.

Book as early as you can. If you have a Butler, work with him to get reasonable additional reservations. Don’t expect to be allowed to eat in Jacques nearly every evening. Oceania management wants you in the GDR or The Terrace on a regular basis.

So then the online reservation system is a scam to some extent?

15 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

They don't fill all the tables prior to boarding for lots of reasons, including to allow some for those who are not computer savvy.  Plus it gives them (Oceania) some wiggle room.  Even doctors offices leave some appts open to give them wiggle room. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, njpln said:

We missed our window to book, clearly.  We had company when the window to book reservations opened up, and then went on a Mediterranean cruise.  By the time I sat down to do it, all they had was shared tables or 9 o’clock seatings.

You will likely have to share a table for some of your reservations.  However, you will very likely will get a table for two on your anniversary.  This is one of the reasons Oceania likes to have wiggle room.   To help you out in cases like this.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

Not really

they leave some tables open for those that may not book online ahead of time

Maybe not everyone is computer savvy   ..I know hard to believe that not everyone has a smart phone glued to their hand 😉

3 hours ago, Guppy99 said:

Not sure the OP is asking for priority. Just some help in resolving an issue he admits he created by not utilizing his booking window. 

10 minutes ago, edgee said:

Not sure the OP is asking for priority. Just some help in resolving an issue he admits he created by not utilizing his booking window. 

that is what the OP is asking, since there were no additional two-tops available online. Although I understand the dynamics that others subsequently explained. I  think that if passengers pay for a higher level=suite, they deserve to enjoy the perks that come with it. Just not when that is used as a reason to infringe upon others because they couldn't keep up their end in a timely fashion. 

However, once again, I take not of the additional insight others provided.

Those in the higher suite levels  have the opportunity to book the  dinner reservations  in advance ..it is not mandatory you do it on your opening day ... but recommended

If you miss the midnight opening of the reservations  fear not  just keep checking online or  call O & ask if they can accommodate you

You can also wait until you board  but your chances  of getting  a specific date/time are slim

JMO