Bonine regimen

SKYYcamel

once about a week or 2 before the cruise just to see how I'm going to react to it, then 1 in the morning when the cruise begins. This is for my wife.

For me? only 1 if I'm going to be on the open water in a 35' boat or smaller. A huge cruise ship doesn't affect me at all.

I take one before getting on the ship and then every morning for 3-4 days.  After that I do not take it unless it is really wavy or I am going on a shore excursion that is going on a curvy road where I might get car (bus) sick. Taking two a day might make you tired and sleepy, so try it before you cruise.

I have chronic motion sickness- all forms of transport,  so I start the night before our flight to the port! Then every night at bedtime. This evening dosing eliminates any daytime drowsiness, and I only need an extra day dose if the seas are really rolling.

• Like 3

I'll take one the night before my cruise and then the first night of the cruise. That's usually enough for me to get my sea legs.

My issue has been light headiness. I get it on elevators, piers, suspension bridges etc. Anything without a solid base. It's a bit annoying but sure beats an upset stomach!

I take the bonine every a.m., as it doesn't make me sleepy. I also  take ginger capsules 3 times a day. . I am very prone to seasickness. . This combination works for me, and I've never had "any episodes" of sickness since. Happy cruising!

One hint about Bonine.  It is simply a brand name for Meclizine Hcl which is actually a very inexpensive non-prescription product (at least here in the USA).  You can buy Bonine at just about any pharmacy, Target, Walmart, etc. and you will likely pay 50 cents to a dollar (or more)  per tablet.  On the other hand you can simply go the pharmacy counter and ask if they sell generic Meclizine.  A few years ago we bought a bottle of 100 meclizine tables at a Target pharmacy and the cost was about the same as 10 Bonine.  The active ingredient is the same and both are chewable.  

If you have a free prescription plan and a friendly physician just ask for a script for Antivert (25 mg) which is the same active ingredient (and dosage) as Bonine.

Hank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've also had good luck with one a day in the a.m., no ensuing drowsiness.  Would not recommend waiting until you start feeling unwell as, for me at least, it does not kick in immediately.

All our local drugstores and grocery stores offer their own generic Meclizine right next to the name brand versions (Bonine and Non-Drowsy Dramamine).

Edited by S1drfl
Omitted s in grocery stores

I should mention that apparently Canadians cannot buy Bonine or even Meclizine but apparently it does appear that it can be done online at ridiculous prices.  I never understood why this was an issue but over many years we have heard this from many Canadians (perhaps this has changed).  If that is still the case and Canadians want to buy Meclizine (or Bonine) they simply need to wait until they are on side of the border :).  The stuff is available everywhere (with any prescription) and is even sold on most cruise ships. Years ago most cruise lines actually give it away at the Guest Relations desk but I think they have now realized they can sell it in the shops for a nice profit.

Hank

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I should mention that apparently Canadians cannot buy Bonine or even Meclizine but apparently it does appear that it can be done online at ridiculous prices.  I never understood why this was an issue but over many years we have heard this from many Canadians (perhaps this has changed).  If that is still the case and Canadians want to buy Meclizine (or Bonine) they simply need to wait until they are on side of the border :).  The stuff is available everywhere (with any prescription) and is even sold on most cruise ships. Years ago most cruise lines actually give it away at the Guest Relations desk but I think they have now realized they can sell it in the shops for a nice profit.

Hank

Thanks Hank! I’m in Canada and you’re right. We can not buy it anywhere. Thanks for the tip. We get into Miami two days prior to boarding. That leaves plenty of time to pick it up. 😀

3 hours ago, Diane67B said:

Thanks Hank! I’m in Canada and you’re right. We can not buy it anywhere. Thanks for the tip. We get into Miami two days prior to boarding. That leaves plenty of time to pick it up. 😀

And while you're at it, buy extras, just in case. Meclizine works like a charm for me, but I realized before one cruise, that was embarking in the UAE, that I wouldn't have enough for our extended cruise! Fortunately my daughter had a visit to the States before we left, and was able to pick up an ample supply in time.

4 minutes ago, mom says said:

And while you're at it, buy extras, just in case. Meclizine works like a charm for me, but I realized before one cruise, that was embarking in the UAE, that I wouldn't have enough for our extended cruise! Fortunately my daughter had a visit to the States before we left, and was able to pick up an ample supply in time.

Great tip! Thanks!

I'm also subject to nasty motion sickness and was concerned I couldn't cruise.  Discovered Bonine, and I take one in the evening before flight to port and nightly thereafter, ending on the last night of the cruise.  That way I'll still have it in my system for the flight home the next day.  Works very well for me. 

I stock up and bring several boxes so both DH and I are covered for the entirety of the trip, although DH often stops taking it about half way through the cruise and does just fine.  Not me though - not risking a case of the whoops, because once those begin it's really too late for me to knock it down easily, and that' not how I want to spend the last few days of my vacation. 

Good luck and have a lovely cruise!

Edited by LoriPhil

5 hours ago, mom says said:

The scopolomine patch is still available, by prescription, in many countries. Most physicians are hesitant to prescribe it except as a last resort,  because of the potential side effects. 

Yes....blurred vision is one of the potential side effects that happened to me many years ago.

18 hours ago, mom says said:

The scopolomine patch is still available, by prescription, in many countries. Most physicians are hesitant to prescribe it except as a last resort,  because of the potential side effects. 

I have not posted this related tale (which is absolutely true) in many years.  We were on a HAL cruise when we became quite friendly with the ship's physician who told the table  (one night at dinner) the following story one evening at dinner.  He was working on a HAL cruise when an elderly lady was discovered wandering the corridors in the wee hours of the morning.  The lady was completely nude and also very confused.  It turned out that she was hallucinating which is one of the rare side effects of transderm Scop.  All turned out fine, she went off the patch, and her life returned to normal. But I think you will not find any cruise ship physician who gives out those patches.  

DW used the patches for a few cruises but found that after a couple of days her vision was impacted to the point that she could no longer enjoy her reading (our main activity on many cruises).  I once used the patches and the only side effect I experienced was "dry mouth" which is actually not a bad thing if one has a drink package :).

Hank

• Like 1

Combining the patch (meclizine) with alcohol may cause dizziness, anger, disassociation, etc. - who's to say which one  plays a dominant role in these behaviors?  Sometimes all somebody needs is the drink package to go ballistic or bonkers.

https://www.drugs.com/food-interactions/meclizine.html

Dry mouth caused by meclizine makes the brain think it's quenching to down more booze.

Edited by evandbob

On 11/10/2021 at 7:23 PM, Elaine5715 said:

Blurred eyes are caused by transferring the medication of the patch to your eyes by your hands.  

You are correct, but that’s not the only cause. Vision problems are a relatively common adverse reaction. Scopolamine is a nasty drug, not one to trifle with as evidenced by the fact that it causes hallucinations. 

My husband and I have used Scopolamine patches on our dive trips for several years now, and for us it works well, no side effects like described. I did try using Dramamine on a recent and it worked well too, so I may switch to that or bonine - meclizine. If that works just as well, why not and not take any chances, even though we've been fine with the patch.