Anybody onboard currently?

takemewithyou

27 minutes ago, Roel94 said:

That was changed about two months ago. I was in the last groups in europe this summer that  needed testing,AU,NZ and all of asia still does.could change tomorrow 

@Cruizer Diana's friends are boarding in Miami.  Do you have anything to update about that?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

@Cruizer Diana's friends are boarding in Miami.  Do you have anything to update about that?

Miami I can confirm from Azamara no testing currently required. Doesn’t mean no testing ever - if suddenly the port authorities changed their tune but if that happened in the days prior to the cruise testers would be brought in.

So for Diana’s friend, this is the first Miami embarkation for Azamara for some time (in fact I’m wondering is it the first post pandemic I think it is) so there’s no recent experience on Azamara just a plan - it’s no testing (and incidentally no vaccine required) 

For those boarding next week do not go early. It’s the ships first call in the US following Azamara taking it over so they are likely to have lots of inspections etc in the morning 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, uktog said:

Miami I can confirm from Azamara no testing currently required. Doesn’t mean no testing ever - if suddenly the port authorities changed their tune but if that happened in the days prior to the cruise testers would be brought in.

So for Diana’s friend, this is the first Miami embarkation for Azamara for some time (in fact I’m wondering is it the first post pandemic I think it is) so there’s no recent experience on Azamara just a plan - it’s no testing (and incidentally no vaccine required) 

For those boarding next week do not go early. It’s the ships first call in the US following Azamara taking it over so they are likely to have lots of inspections etc in the morning 

The Quest sailed out of Miami last winter...we were on the Christmas cruise, you remember, the one that ended up with 30-40 passengers with COVID and more than 60 crew either sick or isolated.    Also missed almost half the scheduled island ports...Captain Johannes always found new ones!

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, DS said:

The Quest sailed out of Miami last winter...we were on the Christmas cruise, you remember, the one that ended up with 30-40 passengers with COVID and more than 60 crew either sick or isolated.    Also missed almost half the scheduled island ports...Captain Johannes always found new ones!

Yes, February 22 Quest cruise was out of Miami.  Still needed testing at embarkation then.

28 minutes ago, DS said:

Thanks - you know years merge in my memory a sign of the age I think!  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, uktog said:

Our boarding time slot is 2:00pm.  So we arrive at 2:00 and expect to wait to board.  I know you don’t have a crystal ball.  Used to boarding at 11:00-11:30 on other lines, but going with the flow.  Excited.  6 days and counting.😎

• Like 1

I’m on the Onward right now. Yes, the crew is doing a lot of prep for arriving in the U.S. I’ve been told there we be more inspections as it is the first time arriving in the U.S.

By the way, so far an excellent cruise! We had to take a southerly route and will miss Bermuda. Stopping at Nassau. We’ll stay on board that day. The weather has been very warm with lots of sunshine. Very relaxing with only 286 pax. There were supposed to be 288, but 2 no shows. That information came directly from Tony.

Internet has of course been terrible, but I expected that. Seems better today.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, uktog said:

We have a 3PM boarding

Yes we were on Pursuits first transatlantic when it first went into Miami in 2019 we were back to back on that one and the crew worked so hard during the transatlantic to get everything ready for the inspections. There were so many checks happening. Good luck to all involved   

There are indeed several boarding times, it works well, so long as they do some checks when people start the process to make sure they’re part of this time slot 

I was in Quest in Dec 21 and Feb 22. That Christmas cruise was hard, But we manage a nice Christmas and a nice NYE. Very hard to dance in masks but you learn how. 

They do a very deep clean and that is why you wait to get on. IF B2B you can leave ship and do errands etc. Just have your new key card with you  so you cn get back on easily.

6 hours ago, Stem to Stern said:

Our boarding time slot is 2:00pm.  So we arrive at 2:00 and expect to wait to board.  I know you don’t have a crystal ball.  Used to boarding at 11:00-11:30 on other lines, but going with the flow.  Excited.  6 days and counting.😎

2:00 pm has been the earliest slot in recent reports.  If you arrive at 1:30 and things go smoothly you may be onboard by 2:00 [that was our experience in Ravenna].  But as noted, US inspections may slow things up for your cruise.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, uktog said:

Yes we were on Pursuits first transatlantic when it first went into Miami in 2019 we were back to back on that one and the crew worked so hard during the transatlantic to get everything ready for the inspections. There were so many checks happening. Good luck to all involved   

There are indeed several boarding times, it works well, so long as they do some checks when people start the process to make sure they’re part of this time slot 

Another sign of years merging- Pursuit's first transatlantic was November 2018.

1 hour ago, Belfastman said:

Another sign of years merging- Pursuit's first transatlantic was November 2018.

So it was - now that was a mathematically challenged error - my facebook memories shared what I did in Miami on the turn around day it clearly said 4 years ago, so why do I now think i am in 2023.  Glad there are enough people to help with my memory and analysis of numerical outputs

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Currently on Azamara Journey, Western Africa Voyage 29 Nov sailing. The ship won't leave Lisbon until early morning Dec 1 due to harbor pilot planned work stoppage for 29-30 Nov (and 6-7 Dec). Everything and all staff on the ship are very good; everything dockside... less so. Big praise to the Guest Relations desk team on board, the most expert and competent I've seen on a ship, with special praise for Jomari. Dockside: yesterday we were told we could check in at noon, though not board until 1pm. There were ~50 passengers in line. Then we were told 12:30. Then we were told their computer system was down and they had no idea when it would be up and we should leave. Many stayed however. Around 1pm they said we could go through the airport-style security and wait in the boarding terminal. At 1:45pm they had us line up for check-in. Check-in was agonizingly slow, with some agents taking 15 minutes to process one passenger! They seemed particularly confused the yellow fever vaccination certificates, not knowing how to read them. Those people who had waivers instead were given a lot of hassle, and eventually allowed to board provisionally while they consulted with headquarters (results should be heard later today). Once on board there was good buffet lunch available. Note that shore excursion prices on board are quite a bit more (5 - 25%) than what we saw online before the cruise. Internet is quite slow, even at 6am. The World Cup matches on the bar TVs were unwatchable as the picture froze every 2 seconds. If internet is included in a purchased package, it doesn't show up automatically when you set up your account, there was a long line at Guest Relations of everyone getting it set up by GR by hand. Again, the GR team is incredibly competent. Due to be a rainy day in Lisbon, more later! 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, earth117 said:

Currently on Azamara Journey, Western Africa Voyage 29 Nov sailing. The ship won't leave Lisbon until early morning Dec 1 due to harbor pilot planned work stoppage for 29-30 Nov (and 6-7 Dec). Everything and all staff on the ship are very good; everything dockside... less so. Big praise to the Guest Relations desk team on board, the most expert and competent I've seen on a ship, with special praise for Jomari. Dockside: yesterday we were told we could check in at noon, though not board until 1pm. There were ~50 passengers in line. Then we were told 12:30. Then we were told their computer system was down and they had no idea when it would be up and we should leave. Many stayed however. Around 1pm they said we could go through the airport-style security and wait in the boarding terminal. At 1:45pm they had us line up for check-in. Check-in was agonizingly slow, with some agents taking 15 minutes to process one passenger! They seemed particularly confused the yellow fever vaccination certificates, not knowing how to read them. Those people who had waivers instead were given a lot of hassle, and eventually allowed to board provisionally while they consulted with headquarters (results should be heard later today). Once on board there was good buffet lunch available. Note that shore excursion prices on board are quite a bit more (5 - 25%) than what we saw online before the cruise. Internet is quite slow, even at 6am. The World Cup matches on the bar TVs were unwatchable as the picture froze every 2 seconds. If internet is included in a purchased package, it doesn't show up automatically when you set up your account, there was a long line at Guest Relations of everyone getting it set up by GR by hand. Again, the GR team is incredibly competent. Due to be a rainy day in Lisbon, more later! 

I was on Journey in September. I agree. What a lovely GR team they were. Always smiling and helpful and a friendly wave as I passed by.  I hope you have a lovely cruise once you get going. 

Phil 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, earth117 said:

They seemed particularly confused the yellow fever vaccination certificates, not knowing how to read them. Those people who had waivers instead were given a lot of hassle, and eventually allowed to board provisionally while they consulted with headquarters (results should be own later today).

Please let us know about yellow fever waivers. Those on March 4 return cruise are interested. Thanks 

Update on yellow fever vaccinations for Journey. Because we are still in Lisbon today due to the pilot strike, people who had none (nor waiver) can get them at the clinic in Lisbon for 240 euros or 250  USD (the ship is arranging group transport to the clinic). I'll post later about the waiver situation when I hear. For Gambia and Ghana visas, there were notes under each cabin door about coming to Guest Relations to show documents (passport, yellow fever vax, Covid vax) again, with a long line at GR (where you turn in the passports to them). GR says they don't know how much the visas will cost, which seems strange. I've heard on Seven Seas Voyager they cost around USD 60 each, so we'll see. Oddly, Azamara added back in a shore excursion from Banjul to Senegal (the Fathala Nature Reserve), despite the ship not being allowed to dock in Senegal (rumored to be Covid related). The excursion is limited to 100 people and you'll need a visa for Senegal, but again they couldn't say how much it costs. 

Separately, 3 trivia games today! General, astronomy, and UK music. 

Edited by earth117
added info on transport to clinic for YF shot
  • Thanks 1

I’m booked on this trip next year so following with interest as I’m not allowed a yellow fever vaccination and had been led to believe I could travel on a waiver with doctors letter 

Hope it all works for everyone on board 

Edited by uktog

Aboard the Journey: Vegetarian food - good selection, especially in the Windows lunch buffet and Patio. Buffet has a vegetarian / plant based meat section, in addition to a salad bar (and pizza etc.). The Indian food today was excellent, delicious dal, achar, chutney. Vegan meatballs also very good. Discoveries dinner menus have one veg main each night, so far not very inspired (quinoa patties last night, chickpea crepes tonight). Some confusion on the separate vegan menu, with some waiters saying you should order from it a day in advance, others saying you can order on the night but may have to wait a bit longer for your meal. I haven't tried it yet. If you dine in a specialty restaurant, the hostess advises you to consult with her the day before your reservation so they can come up with something especially to your taste (will try later). For breakfast there's a smoothie bar as you enter Windows. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, earth117 said:

Aboard the Journey: Vegetarian food - good selection, especially in the Windows lunch buffet and Patio. Buffet has a vegetarian / plant based meat section, in addition to a salad bar (and pizza etc.). The Indian food today was excellent, delicious dal, achar, chutney. Vegan meatballs also very good. Discoveries dinner menus have one veg main each night, so far not very inspired (quinoa patties last night, chickpea crepes tonight). Some confusion on the separate vegan menu, with some waiters saying you should order from it a day in advance, others saying you can order on the night but may have to wait a bit longer for your meal. I haven't tried it yet. If you dine in a specialty restaurant, the hostess advises you to consult with her the day before your reservation so they can come up with something especially to your taste (will try later). For breakfast there's a smoothie bar as you enter Windows. 

Did you try the Energiser from the smoothie bar. On Quest they had a different Energiser every day. They all had ginger in them, but different other fruits (&veg - one had Beetroot)

• Like 4

Aboard the Journey: Thanks for the smoothie tip. The smoothie bar has about 4 different choices, as well as a choose your own ingredients - I forget which one I've had so far but will try them all! 

Regarding yellow fever vaccination waiver letters, the outcome seems to be that Azamara will move forward with them, but of course the final decision comes from the port immigration officials. 

More room for improvement on communication: they added back a Banjul shore excursion "Exploring Senegal: Fathala Nature Reserve" that had been taken down from the online Voyage Planner for the last couple months. The order form put in the cabins says "Please check with Shorex Desk for the visa requirements to cross the borders into Senegal." Shorex was closed all day for some reason, only open before 9am and after 6pm. Many people went to Guest Relations and were told we could book the excursion there but only Shorex has information on the visas, so we were on edge canceling our previous tour and paying for the (capacity limited) Senegal tour then waiting hours to see what the requirements were. Huge line at Shorex at 6pm only to be told by them that they never have anything to do with visas and have no info, have to talk with Guest Relations! The concierge then called the ship's immigration protocol officer. They said to talk to Shorex! But apparently only the Shorex manager knew the situation, not the desk agents. In the end the manager said that nothing special needed to be done for many nationalities (e.g. US). So several hours of concern for a lot of people waiting in lines only to go in circles could have been avoided with clear communication initially. 

Note for veg people: I ordered "chile lime tofu shrimp" off the vegan menu and they brought me actual shrimp. After I pointed this out (and waited 20 minutes) they brought the vegan version. 

Aboard the Journey: Below are the dinner themes for each night. Note the White Night in Namibia. They have not yet scheduled the (onboard) AzAmazing Evening (since the Tenerife port stop was canceled due to late departure from Lisbon from the harbor pilot strike).

JourneyDinners.thumb.jpg.4ac4f3beeea921bcde0104a0947c99da.jpg

Aboard the Journey: We are finally sailing now, Dec 1, a bit later than the Nov 29 date. It's great to be at sea! 520 passengers boarded (capacity is ~700). Rumors are a few of them got off before sailing because of the yellow fever requirements. Over 100 people had to get YF shots - so it was "fortunate" we had an extra day in Lisbon due to the strike. Grandma Cruising's tip on the Energizer smoothie was great - very tasty and gingery (especially good to help getting used to the sea motion). The smoothie bar can put the ginger syrup in any smoothie you want, or you can have it neat. Candied ginger at Guest Relations desk. For the vegan dinner menu, now I'm told there's no need to order in advance. 

• Thanks 1