Thanksgiving fun on Celebrity

lara_lox

I'll be there with ya! This will be my 4th Tday sailing with Celebrity on Equinox, Silhouette and Solstice. Nothing is really done special for the day. They may have a turkey dinner on the menu in MDR which I have never ordered. Those that did were disappointed because it wasn't what they were used to. The chef being non American puts his own spin on it. 

Last 2 times 2019 n 2018 I was on for turkey dat nothing crazy done. Main meal was in the ocean view for lunch.  It was as good but like mentioned it’s not what your going to be used to with foreign chef. Personally I love being at pool with a drink calling everyone and wishing them happy thanksgiving. 

Celebrity recently published some information on how the upcoming holidays will be celebrated including Thanksgiving.  Here is the link: 2021 Celebrity Onboard Holiday Experience

The relevant portion is pasted below.  It's interesting that there will be Black Friday sales although I am sure there won't be any "door busting" pricing!

image.thumb.png.e526ff6e7eeb382c97a5fba1024a56d3.png

• Like 1

We were on the Silhouette a couple years ago for Thanksgiving and it was not that great, just average at best but, our dinner companion made a joke to our waiter about turkey legs, apparently he did not comprehend the joke and served us actual turkey legs along side of our regular turkey dinner !!!

We're on the same cruise. We didn't even realize it was during the Thanksgiving holiday when we booked it, but we are looking forward to it. Sounds like they'll have turkey and fixings in all dining rooms and the buffet.

Edited by MarkWiltonM

We also said that we should have some fun and play our own Thanksgiving bingo - have a drink for every pre-detemined themed item we see, e.g. cornucopia, fall leaves, a 'Thankful' sign, a turkey shaped fruit and vegetable display. Who's in?!

• Like 1

I often sail on Thanksgiving as I was born on Thanksgiving and my birthday falls within a couple days around or on Turkey Day.  

I know they have a Turkey Dinner as one selection but also regular menu items.

They do decorate the ship a bit and the OceanView is decorated and feature Thanksgiving fare and pies.    Not really over the top.

The day after Thanksgiving they start decorating the ship for Christmas, so you will probably see more decorations than a normal cruise.

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

I often sail on Thanksgiving as I was born on Thanksgiving and my birthday falls within a couple days around or on Turkey Day.  

I know they have a Turkey Dinner as one selection but also regular menu items.

They do decorate the ship a bit and the OceanView is decorated and feature Thanksgiving fare and pies.    Not really over the top.

The day after Thanksgiving they start decorating the ship for Christmas, so you will probably see more decorations than a normal cruise.

Happy Birthday in advance! I really appreciated your recent account of the Equinox, so thank you. You and Iain are the cruising couple that my wife and I aspire to be later in life!

• Like 1

Been on several Thanksgiving sailings.  You have to go into dinner with an open mind knowing it won't be yours, Mom's, or Nana's recipes.   But, it will be delightful, you won't have an aching back, you can eat with everyone in your party because you're not running back and forth to the kitchen, you won't be packing leftovers, if you don't want turkey, you'll have a plethora of other choices, the kitchen won't be hot, and no one can blame you if you forgot to remove the giblets from the turkey before you put it in the oven (no, that didn't happen to me, but it did happen to someone I know), and someone may be playing beautiful music live as you have your Thanksgiving dinner.

Last year, it was just the two of us, who can cook for two on Thanksgiving?  Don't ask how miserable I was.  That was the day, I swore that this year, we would be on a Celebrity ship.  The count down to Edge has begun.  We can't wait to see those smiling faces on board, and we'll be so thankful this year, that we made it through, along with our family and that we're sailing again.

Edited by micheleg
  • Like 3

Will be on the Apex for Thanksgiving. And have done a few. I look forward to something other than Turkey. And each can pick what they really enjoy instead of the ‘standard’. And I’ll Not miss the salad-incrusted jello mold!  

I always enjoy those photos and videos of the Turkey being carved at the dinner table. “Let’s watch Den disembowel that poor bird in front of us making a complete mess of it!”  

den

• Haha 1

On 11/11/2021 at 9:24 PM, LGW59 said:

But Americans think the world revolves around…

Of course it does!  Every map I have shows ‘us’ right in the middle…..ignoring the time I was in Australia and they had the weirdest maps I’d ever seen!  

den

• Haha 1

On 11/11/2021 at 7:43 PM, Airbalancer said:

Silly people , Thanksgiving is in October 😁

Yes, it is!  However, we’ll allow our friendly southern neighbours to celebrate in November.  We also celebrate Boxing Day, which I doubt most Americans have never heard of! lol. 

Edited by Lady Arwen

20 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

Of course it does!  Every map I have shows ‘us’ right in the middle…..ignoring the time I was in Australia and they had the weirdest maps I’d ever seen!  

den

But, on a map the US looks so tiny compared to Canada.  Just kidding!

On 11/11/2021 at 1:00 PM, Jim_Iain said:

It looks like they will be decorating for Christmas only when they return to their home port after T-giving.  

image.png.02437cc481d19dae408c8c3aa7406751.png

37 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

Yes, it is!  However, we’ll allow our friendly southern neighbours to celebrate in November.  We also celebrate Boxing Day, which I doubt most Americans have never heard of! lol. 

No, we have Boxing Day in the US. We have it right after someone mentions anything political!  

• Haha 1