The Daily for Saturday November 13, 2021

richwmn

Brr! We have a cold front coming through. OK it’s cool for us Floridians!😎 The turkey recipe sounds great and those pics had me licking my chops.

Went to a Sadie Hawkins dance years ago and I was relieved that no one asked me to dance!

Quick run to the Commissary this morning for just enough items to get us through Wednesday before our flight to California.

Stay safe have a great weekend and thanks for all the contributions to the Daily!

• Like 26

Good Morning. Thanks for the daily and the care lists.

The day started off with a lot of ground fog but that has all burned off. It is now a beautirul day in the mid 70's warming to the low 80's by afternoon.

The Turkey recipe looks really good. I'll have to try that sometime but this year, Thanksgiving will be aboard a big blue.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 25

@dfish,I can relate to your caregiver  story  on two levels.DH and I cared for both my parents and his mom prior to their deaths.My last PT job was in a Nursing Home and of course we tried to be there for patients  and families  at the end.

My favorite  Thanksgiving  dish is the sausage and cornbread stuffing I started making a few years ago.I make a vegetarian  one to please the group.I have been known to have some for breakfast  the next day......

• Like 27

Got my booster shot yesterday so a slightly sore arm today.  As far as Wine Tourism Day, does driving the cart up and down the aisles in the liquor store count?  If so, then I have been doing a lot of tours during the lockdowns.  Thank goodness liquor stores are considered essential businesses. 🙂

• Like 14
  • Haha 9

Good morning, thanks for the Daily! Bless the caregivers; you never know how much they do until you've been one - they deserve more than 1 day a year to recognize their efforts.  I'm sending a deposit to @kazu to hold my reservation for her wine tour!  We were always taught that Sadie Hawkins Day was February 29th, and whether or not you asked a boy to the dance, you could certainly ask any boy there to dance with you.  In high school we had a Sadie Hawkins Dance and there was a "marriage booth" where you could ask the guy to marry you - at the end of the night the girl who had the most husbands was crowned Miss Sadie Hawkins .  .  . I won the revered crown one year!  LOL

We live in a land of great contrasts - in the past 48 hours we've had a huge dump of snow, and last night an area across the province that began about 2 hours away had freezing rain which - as I've just learned from a news bulletin on the radio - has highways closed all the way to to the US Border (a distance of about 200 miles).  Crazy!  

Not a lot on the agenda today, I might straighten out the pantry to see what additional supplies I'm going to need to put on the grocery list for the upcoming baking sessions.  DH will be playing the guitar in the background, as they have a gig on Monday; he has to remember to drink enough water, as the last time he played, his hand cramped up so badly that he had to stop playing for a while.

I was overjoyed when I heard from @kakalina ; we both think maybe her late DH had something to do with the results, as yesterday was his birthday.  At least she has a future (although shortened) to look forward to.  

@lazey1 I'm sorry to hear your COPD has taken you for a ride - hopefully your new meds will help clear it up to make it more manageable for you.

@kazu your dog photo absolutely made me laugh out loud; I did not expect that one!

@StLouisCruisers sorry your back is acting up; I hope it gets better soon!

I like today's menu suggestion, but rather than using it on a big turkey (our family are great traditionalists), I'd scale it down and try it on a chicken and see how it goes.  Our turkey dressing (or stuffing) is always the favourite dish; it is just dry bread cubes, tons of onions, celery, shredded carrots sauteed in some butter, then chicken stock is added to make it totally moist.  For us though, chicken breasts are on the menu - I'll slice them up, roll in egg wash, coat in panko crumbs and will put them in the air fryer.  DH bought some stuffed baked potatoes the other day that he wants me to add to the plates tonight, so that will be happening along with a small salad and dippers for the chicken pieces.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising the glasses high to celebrate all on the happy list.  Stay safe, wash your hands, wear your masks, and be well.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 27

17 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

@dfish

Debbie I can’t pick just one favorite dish. It is a toss-up between Do ahead party potatoes and candied carrots. Neither of them particularly healthy. 😎. But nummy. 

I have the same problem, too many choices. It just might be the gravy since I pour that all over the turkey, mashed pototos and dressing. It kind of brings everything together and I couldn't imagine Thanksgiving dinner without it.

• Like 25

Here is my good news story for today.

My 8 year old Grandson Malcolm is in his last year of Beaver Scouts and he will soon swim up to Cub Scouts.  One of his goals during his time in Beavers was to earn the North Star award.

This is the criteria to earn this award.

“This award is the highest level of achievement for Beaver Scouts. To receive the award Beavers must complete five outdoor adventure skills badges, five hours of community service, and a final community service project,” 

Malcolm needed to complete the community service project to receive the award.

Working with the leaders, Beavers can be assigned a community service project or present their idea to the leaders for approval.

Malcolm’s presented his idea to the leaders which was approved.  He wanted to raise money for the Izaak Walton Killam Children’s Hospital in Halifax, Nova Scotia (The IWK).  To raise money he would do a bottle drive and also make bird feeders which he would sell for $3.00 each or three for $5.00.

His mother put out the word in our community and the community responded.  A family run business that has been in the local community for 40 years heard about it and contacted Malcolm to let him know they would donate the bird seed.

He raised over just over $400.00 with the bottle drive and the reminder selling his bird feeders.  He raised a total of $668.05 which he presented to the IWK yesterday.  The staff at the IWK were very impressed and my daughter said that 6 of the staff came to personally talk to Malcolm to hear his story.

The pictures are of Malcolm carrying the bag of donated bird seed, the finished bird feeders, holding them on a stick to show they would look hanging up and presenting the money to the IWK yesterday.

Bird Feeders 1.jpg

Bird Feeders 2.jpg

Bird Feeders 3.jpg

Bird Feeders 4.jpg

• Like 36
  • Thanks 5

2 hours ago, richwmn said:

I don't remember if it has been going on longer, but over the last several days I have noticed several posts which began with something like 'sorry to intrude'.
This thread is intended for everyone, and if we seem like a clique I hope we can correct that impression.
Everyone is welcome and I hope those who lurk every day feel free to post a quick hello.

Well said Rich!

• Like 15

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Saturday Daily, Rich.  Caregivers are most essential and we have some great ones here.  Wine Tourism is quite popular here and Sadie Hawkins had a great idea.  I like the Lucas quote.  I  have not been to Sasebo.  Japan seems to have a LOT of ports.  I like the meal idea.  My alternative is Chilled Bannana Soup, Spaghetti a la Americana, and Peach Berry Crisp as served on MS Prinsendam November 13, 2017.

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2017/11/dishes13.jpg

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
Loss of Ann’s cousin in Virginia
kakalina with spreading lung cancer going into hospice
SrLouisCruisers friend John with end stage melanoma
cat shepard’s friend recovering from aggressive chemo but at least back home
Cruising along DH recovering from cataract surgery
lazey1 COPD complications
Seasick sailor’s friend Walker wthdrawing from cancer treatments
From the rotation:
LaPalma
NextOne  DDIL with long haul Covid
57redbird DH awaiting November 29 prostate surgery
Grapau27 awaiting MOHS surgery November 17

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

4 BHB with passengers
Nieuw Amsterdam sailaway
Nieuw Statendam in Everglades
Front Line Health Care Workers
SusieKIslandGirl onEurodam
horizonchaser1947 settled in Mexico
Lady Hudson at sea  (Anthem OTS)
Norseh20 at sea (Oceania Marina to 12/1)
1 day for dobiemom (NCL Bliss)
1 day for Sea Viewer (Allure OTS)
1 days for Quartzite Cruiser and negative
Crazy for Cats in Lancaster
booster for grapau27
negative brain scan for kakalina
57redbird covid negative and surgery scheduled for November 29
Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Please add  my  wife Sheila          back to  your care list and prayers. she was  kept  in  hospital  to  get  her  stronger so she could come home and  was doing good then yesterday  she had  a setback and was  having 

problems with  her  heart speeding up and and she is being well  looked  after and hope they can sort this out soon.

Jim.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 10

Good morning all!

My Dear Dad had two caregivers, one day-time and one who stayed there nights.  Because of them, he was able to stay in his home up until his death at the age of 101!  

Did someone say wine?  We've traveled to eastern WA and other parts of the country for wine tours and also from many BHBs.  Next summer our cruise will visit Bordeaux -- oh boy!  But our next wine tour will be to Total Wine to restock before Thanksgiving. 😉  

Never was brave enough to invite a boy to a dance in high school, the turkey sounds delicious!  A recipe to keep for future Thanksgivings maybe.  @dfishDebbie my all-time favorite dish on Thanksgiving is my Grandmother's Scalloped Corn dish.  It's basically creamed corn, a white sauce, and lots of eggs.  Kind of a corn pudding. I've loved it since I was a child, and it means Thanksgiving to me.

Will pass on the red wine, but the drink sounds good. Have never been to Japan.

@grapau27and @travelnapcongrats on getting your boosters!

@bdrcolehow proud you must be of your DGS!  That is truly amazing.

@irishjimprayers for your DW that her health will improve and she can come home soon.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from sunny Quartzsite.  I'm hoping for a lot less drama today. 🤞

It is upsetting to learn some people feel they are intruding when they first post on the Daily.  Yes, there is a large group of regular posters, but we all try to welcome new people and make them feel a part of the Daily family.  For a long time I was a lurker until DH and I realized we could help someone with a problem.  Now,  the Daily is a big part of the day.

Growing up, we did not have Sadie Hawkins dances.  In junior high, we celebrated the day with the girls asking a boy on a date.  I asked a boy I had a crush on to go bowling.  We had fun, even if my grandfather had to drive us.  The boy is still married to his high school sweetheart.  

We've done a few wine tours, and now days our wine tours are looking at the selections at the store. 🍷

Caregivers deserve their day every day.  My father was my mother's primary caregiver for the last 16 years of her life after she was diagnosed with MS.  We also had a wonderful lady who took care of her, the house and me while he was at work or had to travel.  They both deserve a toast.🥂

I like the George Lucas quote.

The meal sounds interesting, but we'll be celebrating Thanksgiving on a BHB.  The drink sounds good, but I've not seen it on a bar menu in many years.  We've had today's wine, and it is a good red.

Today's port is another Japanese port we've not visited.  When things are more settled, we need to book a cruise around Japan.

@dfish  Debbie, my favorite part of the meal is cornbread dressing and gravy.  Cornbread dressing is the traditional southern dressing, and I use my mother's recipe with the addition of celery.  Normally, it is made using the stock from cooking the giblets, but if our vegetarians are with use, I use vegetable stock for the dressing and gravy.  FYI, the difference between dressing and stuffing is how it's cooked.  If it's in the bird, it's stuffing, but as a side dish, it's dressing.

@kazu  Loved the dachshund meme, but then, dachshunds have a special place in my heart.

@bdrcole  What a great community project Malcolm did for his North Star award, and what great pictures.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, I hope your back gets better and stays better soon.

@irishjim  Jim, sending good, positive thoughts that Sheila improves and is home soon.

@grapau27 and @travelnap  Glad you both got your booster shots.

Now, its time to finish organizing and start packing.  I'll try to read the Daily and post when I can during the next four weeks.   Since I won’t have my computer, I won't be able to share pictures.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, irishjim said:

Please add  my  wife Sheila          back to  your care list and prayers. she was  kept  in  hospital  to  get  her  stronger so she could come home and  was doing good then yesterday  she had  a setback and was  having 

problems with  her  heart speeding up and and she is being well  looked  after and hope they can sort this out soon.

Jim.

Prayers said for your wife Sheila so that she can improve and come home soon!  🙏  Amen!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, irishjim said:

Jim.

Sending up prayers for Sheila!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good morning from sunny Quartzsite.  I'm hoping for a lot less drama today. 🤞

It is upsetting to learn some people feel they are intruding when they first post on the Daily.  Yes, there is a large group of regular posters, but we all try to welcome new people and make them feel a part of the Daily family.  For a long time I was a lurker until DH and I realized we could help someone with a problem.  Now,  the Daily is a big part of the day.

Growing up, we did not have Sadie Hawkins dances.  In junior high, we celebrated the day with the girls asking a boy on a date.  I asked a boy I had a crush on to go bowling.  We had fun, even if my grandfather had to drive us.  The boy is still married to his high school sweetheart.  

We've done a few wine tours, and now days our wine tours are looking at the selections at the store. 🍷

Caregivers deserve their day every day.  My father was my mother's primary caregiver for the last 16 years of her life after she was diagnosed with MS.  We also had a wonderful lady who took care of her, the house and me while he was at work or had to travel.  They both deserve a toast.🥂

I like the George Lucas quote.

The meal sounds interesting, but we'll be celebrating Thanksgiving on a BHB.  The drink sounds good, but I've not seen it on a bar menu in many years.  We've had today's wine, and it is a good red.

Today's port is another Japanese port we've not visited.  When things are more settled, we need to book a cruise around Japan.

@dfish  Debbie, my favorite part of the meal is cornbread dressing and gravy.  Cornbread dressing is the traditional southern dressing, and I use my mother's recipe with the addition of celery.  Normally, it is made using the stock from cooking the giblets, but if our vegetarians are with use, I use vegetable stock for the dressing and gravy.  FYI, the difference between dressing and stuffing is how it's cooked.  If it's in the bird, it's stuffing, but as a side dish, it's dressing.

@kazu  Loved the dachshund meme, but then, dachshunds have a special place in my heart.

@bdrcole  What a great community project Malcolm did for his North Star award, and what great pictures.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, I hope your back gets better and stays better soon.

@irishjim  Jim, sending good, positive thoughts that Sheila improves and is home soon.

@grapau27 and @travelnap  Glad you both got your booster shots.

Now, its time to finish organizing and start packing.  I'll try to read the Daily and post when I can during the next four weeks.   Since I won’t have my computer, I won't be able to share pictures.

Lenda

Here's hoping you have no drama at all today Lenda!  

The back problem will continue as I get older, but some days will be better than others.  It would be wonderful if it stayed better but I'm not holding my breath.  I'm thankful it's not a worse health issue!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3