New covid 19 testing procedure

swansong

I certainly do not think anybody is “stupid” for booking a cruise now. And I fully understand that the ever changing protocols are due to the situation and not the fault of any cruise line. I am sure that those on this forum who have chosen to book are aware of the risks and that their travel may turn out to be more — shall I say — complicated than originally thought. But for those of us who are more cautious, it is good that we have CC where we can learn about changes in protocol, and decide for ourselves whether to book now or not. And as long as we make an informed decision — what ever it is — we aren’t stupid either.

• Like 2

Sunprince:

A clarification is provided to your Post #24.  

We were on Explorer's just-completed Barcelona-Miami segment.   We WERE tested while onboard.  That was done while at sea on November 13th--the day before our arrival at Miami.  

GOARMY!

1 hour ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

Many of us know the risks and make our decisions. If we choose to go on a cruise soon….does that make our decision ..dumb rather than smart?

Those are your words...not mine. I believe I said that "understanding the risks" 'is a smart travel decision. The decision to travel and assume any risk is personal and up to each individual. 

• Like 2

Guess what… I am done with this particular conversation. 
There are those of us who choose to cruise as soon as we can. There are those who will not. 
I will not try to convince anyone to join us. However, I grow a bit tired when the same folks are always telling us why they will not book a cruise. Alright, don’t. But how many more word games are we going to hear that on this cruise critic site?

Edited by Bellaggio Cruisers
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, fyree39 said:

We cruise everything from Carnival to Crystal. I was on a Carnival cruise last August with the required pre-cruise Covid testing that's being discussed here. As I didn't have to travel far for the cruise, this was somewhat simple to accomplish. For our cruise next week, we'll be using a home test from Abbott Labs called BinaxNow. The test is done through an accompanying app and video chat with a medical professional. I'm wondering if something like this would be acceptable for most other lines soon. 

Best of luck.

Regent Requirements for Testing

• For voyages sailing prior to January 17, 2022, all guests will be required to take a COVID-19 antigen test, administered and paid for by the cruise line, prior to boarding and receive a negative result.
  • For voyages sailing after January 17, 2022, all guests are required to complete a COVID-19 PCR or Antigen test from a lab or pharmacy within 48 hours of arriving to the terminal for cruises beginning in a U.S. port or within 72 hours for all other cruises.  All guests must provide proof of a negative test result at embarkation and should travel with a printed copy.  Test result documentation must be provided in English and must include the following information:
  • Your name, which should match the name on your travel documents
  • Your date of birth
  • The result of the test
  • The date the test sample was collected
  • The name of the test provider
  • Confirmation of the type of test provided
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, fyree39 said:

We cruise everything from Carnival to Crystal. I was on a Carnival cruise last August with the required pre-cruise Covid testing that's being discussed here. As I didn't have to travel far for the cruise, this was somewhat simple to accomplish. For our cruise next week, we'll be using a home test from Abbott Labs called BinaxNow. The test is done through an accompanying app and video chat with a medical professional. I'm wondering if something like this would be acceptable for most other lines soon. 

Best of luck.

While the test could be a good indication of your Covid status for your own sanity, I don't think it would be sufficient for Regent to "accept" (see Pcardad post). The BinaxNow test leaves too many holes open.  We are a bit surprised about Regents switch and are now trying to figure out how to get this done considering early travel to the port/hotel/etc. Depending on where you live, travel can take a day or more, then trying to find a local test provider at the port of embarkation (as you left your house before the 48 hours). 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, fyree39 said:

....... For our cruise next week, we'll be using a home test from Abbott Labs called BinaxNow. The test is done through an accompanying app and video chat with a medical professional. ...

These home test have a very high "False positive" rate. Some report say as high as 20%. The last thing you want to deal with is a positive test result 3 days before you travel. Look around your area and you should be able to find a free testing site that does the antigen tests; those results usually take 15 minutes. 

J

• Like 1

Even in 'normal' times, the days immediately before travelling a distance are filled with all kinds of anxieties from cancelling things at home to more important worries like how many pairs of shoes to take 😉 (sorry)  But add in the requirement for tests to be taken at specific times in particular places and that anxiety grows exponentially.   Given that the last test for us before boarding Splendor a couple of weeks ago was on the pier, I will leave you to imagine what this pair of nervous wrecks we were  as we sat waiting for the results. By now we had gone beyond the stage of telling ourselves not to be silly...we were both fit and well and surely didn't have CV.  No, now I was certain I would be turned away and sent home again...didn't that chap on the plane cough near me?  How silly is that?

Of course all was ok and all of our anxieties were forgotten the minute we boarded that beautiful ship. As @flossie009 said  that first glass of champagne was magical - well worth the palaver of getting there, believe me.

Hold faith sweet people...all will be well.  Actually the minute you step on board it will be even better than that! Yes, the tests are a pain in the neck but worth it to know you are in as safe and CV free environment as can be.

Edited by Gilly
  • Like 8

Totally agree with you Sheila. Life’s too short to procrastinate. Yes covid is with us and is going to be for a long time. 
The choices we make in life are our choices, and as Doris Day sang “Que Sara Sara”  but we’d have lived a full and hopefully happy life.

My glass is flowing over.

• Like 6

We just returned from a Celebrity cruise that had similar testing requirements. Yes it caused some stress but we used the Abbott online monitored test and it worked well. Due to our concerns about a false positive we also scheduled a Covid test later the same day at Walgreens and then canceled it when our at home test was negative. Our next Regent cruise is before January 17 so we expect some long waits at the terminal for necessary testing. Will probably use Abbott at home test a few days  before we head to Miami.....

One issue that did arise with the home test was that on the box the expiration date was actually a few weeks before our cruise date. I contacted the place where we got the test (Optum) as well as Abbott and was told that the FDA had extended the expiration date by 6 months......confirmed on line and by cruise critic boards.............

4 hours ago, Stefken said:

Totally agree with you Sheila. Life’s too short to procrastinate. Yes covid is with us and is going to be for a long time. 
The choices we make in life are our choices, and as Doris Day sang “Que Sara Sara”  but we’d have lived a full and hopefully happy life.

My glass is flowing over.

Thank you for your beautiful thoughts!

sheila

We are sailing on the February 3 Splendor cruise.  Thus the new mandate applies to us.  Coming from snow country (Colorado) we always fly in two days early in case DIA is closed because of snow.  It happened a couple of years ago and we were glad we took this precaution.  BUT now we have to find a place to get a Covid test in Fort Lauderdale or Miami.  I called our hotel to see if they were offering them (Miami Intercontinental) and they aren’t.  I fear long wait times at the pier (that wasn’t the case in August in the Bahamas with Crystal which did a timed appt at the convention hall and provided us with a lovely place to wait), but I fear this new procedure.

Does anyone have suggestions on where we might get an appointment in either Fort Lauderdale where we fly into or in the downtown Miami area where we are staying for 2 nights?  Any other recommendations?

Mom C

I'm sorry if I'm picking over the bones of this but I can't help myself  - re Regent's recent email saying that they've updated their policy re Covid testing prior to boarding - why would they then add that they'll be back in touch 30 days prior to boarding to give updates? Is it just a trial? Yes, I know I can call them to ask this but I'm just putting it out there 🤔

2 hours ago, Huggsy said:

I'm sorry if I'm picking over the bones of this but I can't help myself  - re Regent's recent email saying that they've updated their policy re Covid testing prior to boarding - why would they then add that they'll be back in touch 30 days prior to boarding to give updates? Is it just a trial? Yes, I know I can call them to ask this but I'm just putting it out there 🤔

Because things have been known to change (a lot) with COVID testing, vaccines, etc.  I will plan on following the new policy, for our cruise, but will reassured with an email 30 days prior that I didn't miss any changes or that something has changed.

COVID not withstanding,. any new process or p[policy could easily need to change after being used for a couple of    cruises.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, MomC said:

We are sailing on the February 3 Splendor cruise.  Thus the new mandate applies to us.  Coming from snow country (Colorado) we always fly in two days early in case DIA is closed because of snow.  It happened a couple of years ago and we were glad we took this precaution.  BUT now we have to find a place to get a Covid test in Fort Lauderdale or Miami.  I called our hotel to see if they were offering them (Miami Intercontinental) and they aren’t.  I fear long wait times at the pier (that wasn’t the case in August in the Bahamas with Crystal which did a timed appt at the convention hall and provided us with a lovely place to wait), but I fear this new procedure.

Does anyone have suggestions on where we might get an appointment in either Fort Lauderdale where we fly into or in the downtown Miami area where we are staying for 2 nights?  Any other recommendations?

Mom C

Try CVS or Walgreens. There are multiple locations in S. Florida and you can make test appointment online. 

On 11/17/2021 at 7:23 PM, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

Most of what you are saying is what most of us already know. 
However, stating that “ Understanding that risk is not a negative thought, it’s just a smart travel decision”, is your opinion …. not mine. 
Many of us know the risks and make our decisions. If we choose to go on a cruise soon….does that make our decision ..dumb rather than smart?
Most of life is a risk..each of us make these decisions often. 
I see the glass half full… others constantly remind us that it’s half empty. 
And, so it goes!

sheila

Very wise words Sheila, "most of life is a risk". It saddens me that in this climate many have forgotten how to use critical thinking to assess life's constant risk. Maybe if they realized that they have a higher chance to have a fatal car accident that a fatal Covid infection they would enjoy life more. 

• Like 3

On 11/20/2021 at 7:19 PM, JMARINER said:

These home test have a very high "False positive" rate. Some report say as high as 20%. The last thing you want to deal with is a positive test result 3 days before you travel. Look around your area and you should be able to find a free testing site that does the antigen tests; those results usually take 15 minutes. 

J

We have used the proctored Abbott BinaxNow tests 3 times to return to the US without problems. We also got a rapid test from CVS to travel abroad and they used an Abbott test that looked just like the home tests. If you get a positive, you can always retest to confirm. 

As for Regent’s new requirements after January 17, if you are worried about finding a test, just pay the 99 bucks at let them test you. There is no delay at the pier. When we boarded the Explorer a week ago, the whole check in process, including testing, took less than an hour. 

Don”t sweat Covid if you are vaccinated.  Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/23/2021 at 10:16 PM, Jimmcdaniel said:

We have used the proctored Abbott BinaxNow tests 3 times to return to the US without problems. We also got a rapid test from CVS to travel abroad and they used an Abbott test that looked just like the home tests. If you get a positive, you can always retest to confirm. 

As for Regent’s new requirements after January 17, if you are worried about finding a test, just pay the 99 bucks at let them test you. There is no delay at the pier. When we boarded the Explorer a week ago, the whole check in process, including testing, took less than an hour. 

Don”t sweat Covid if you are vaccinated.  Enjoy your cruise!

Regent has modified their Covid testing procedures.  To quote them; Regent "will eliminate all COVID-19 testing at the terminal beginning on Jan 17."  I'm sailing on the Explorer cruise leaving San Diego on Jan 19.  I'm flying in on Jan 17 so I can't get tested before I leave (it's outside the 3 day limit).  I was planning to go to a CVS on Jan 18 to get a quick turnaround Antigen test.  But, I just realized that Jan 18 is MLK holiday. So CVS may be closed.  I hope I can get tested on the 19th; if not, I'll miss my cruise!

3 hours ago, journeyfan said:

Regent has modified their Covid testing procedures.  To quote them; Regent "will eliminate all COVID-19 testing at the terminal beginning on Jan 17."  I'm sailing on the Explorer cruise leaving San Diego on Jan 19.  I'm flying in on Jan 17 so I can't get tested before I leave (it's outside the 3 day limit).  I was planning to go to a CVS on Jan 18 to get a quick turnaround Antigen test.  But, I just realized that Jan 18 is MLK holiday. So CVS may be closed.  I hope I can get tested on the 19th; if not, I'll miss my cruise!

If all else fails, Regent will test you at the pier for $99 per person. If you decide to use CVS for the test, you can go to their website 13 or 14 days before your desired test date and make an appointment online.

Dave

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, journeyfan said:

Regent has modified their Covid testing procedures.  To quote them; Regent "will eliminate all COVID-19 testing at the terminal beginning on Jan 17."  

Where did you see this information? Their website does not indicate this change.