Antigua replaced by St. Kitts for Oasis Class Through April 2022

3 hours ago, bouhunter said:

Seriously?  Those guys are neither seedy or sketchy......nor "demanding" money.  Simply selling a service of sorts.  And anyone telling them to "go****" would be pretty rude.

Rubbish.  They were coming right up to those who they considered easy targets and as soon as someone made eye contact, before they knew it, they were there holding the little money getting their pic taken.   Then the "service sellers" as you call them said "$10 for the picture" ... with their hand out.  And weren't being all that friendly or welcoming about it.  Saw it several times on 2 trips through St Kitts.  And people were coughing up the money reluctantly because they felt they needed to at that point.   And the ones I saw looked sketchy, dirty and smelled heavily of weed.   Classy, right?

And yea unless you specifically said "Oh, why yes, I would love to hold your monkey and pay you for a picture", then yes they approach you like that, you should tell them to get lost ..  its basically panhandling with intimidation and  its tacky.

Edited by F27TW
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

well, I am officially upset. We sail on Sunday, and the change from Antigua to St Kitts was announced yesterday.

No, I understand that changes to the itinerary happen, and I am fine with that. We have never been to either Antigua or St Kitts, so we don't have a preference and would be happy with either choice.

What I am upset about is that the change happened 2 days before the cruise, and they changed it to a destination where EVERYONE is required to be on a ship excursion (not just us - people with unvaxxed kids) if they want to go ashore. However, RCI had to quickly whip up some excursions for all the passengers, so the only ONE simple beach excursion they offered was already sold out as of 5:45 this morning. The rest of them are historic tours, rum tastings and 4x4 vehicle trips, which are either inappropriate for kids or just plain old boring for them. Grrrr. And we can't wait for something else to open up because the cruise planner purchases prior to the cruise close at midnight today.

They should have just gone to Coco Cay or a destination which doesn't require ship tours for ALL.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PiperHolliday said:

I'm sailing on Anthem 1/9/22 and yesterday, they canceled our shore excursions for Antigua. Is the dredging to the point that it would hinder Quantam-class from entering port? 

I'm also on the anthem sailing and have an antigua excursion booked but have not yet received any notice of cancellation.  I hope not, we love Antigua.

I was in St Kitts yesterday and we could leave the ship to wander freely in the immediate port area, fortunately no monkeys there. We were able to purchase tours from approved vendors in that area, as well as ship tours but could not leave the port area without a tour. 

We have been there previously and agree that Brimstone Hill is a great site to visit. Currently have to wear a mask at all times in St Kitts.

Have not really had pushy interactions at ports on this trip, people seem happy to have some tourism again.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sea Viewer said:

I was in St Kitts yesterday and we could leave the ship to wander freely in the immediate port area, fortunately no monkeys there. We were able to purchase tours from approved vendors in that area, as well as ship tours but could not leave the port area without a tour. 

We have been there previously and agree that Brimstone Hill is a great site to visit. Currently have to wear a mask at all times in St Kitts.

Have not really had pushy interactions at ports on this trip, people seem happy to have some tourism again.

Just sitting here waiting for our New Year Allure sailing to get it's itinerary change. We are already stopping in St. Kitts so it will be interesting to see where they send us. I had a question about St. Kitts because there is so much confusion around what you can and can't do. Were there vendors in the port who sold catamaran tours? All of the RC sponsored catamaran tours are sold out. Thank you!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, AtSeaWithChris said:

Our email yesterday swapped Antigua for San Juan January 16 on HotS

So it's definite that the 16 Jan HotS cruise is going to San Juan instead of St John's? I'm on that cruise and based in the UK.  My cruise planner still shows St John's and my TA hasn't received anything from Royal Caribbean. Are we allowed off at San Juan to wander freely?

1 hour ago, PiperHolliday said:

I'm sailing on Anthem 1/9/22 and yesterday, they canceled our shore excursions for Antigua. Is the dredging to the point that it would hinder Quantam-class from entering port? 

I am also on that cruise and between the 4 of us we 2 different excursions booked no cancellation yet, which excursion did you have cancelled?

Just now, clochette said:

I am also on that cruise and between the 4 of us we 2 different excursions booked no cancellation yet, which excursion did you have cancelled?

It was a day on the private Prickly Pear Island but it is no longer bookable today (yesterday it was). Perhaps it's just an operational issue on the owner's end - I emailed him to find out. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mim Lloyd said:

So it's definite that the 16 Jan HotS cruise is going to San Juan instead of St John's? I'm on that cruise and based in the UK.  My cruise planner still shows St John's and my TA hasn't received anything from Royal Caribbean. Are we allowed off at San Juan to wander freely?

Yes, I'm on that as well.  TA confirmed

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, theLCC1 said:

Just sitting here waiting for our New Year Allure sailing to get it's itinerary change. We are already stopping in St. Kitts so it will be interesting to see where they send us. I had a question about St. Kitts because there is so much confusion around what you can and can't do. Were there vendors in the port who sold catamaran tours? All of the RC sponsored catamaran tours are sold out. Thank you!

The change in St Kitts allowing non ship was very recent, I did see some vendors and tours in the port area but really didn't check them out.  We weren't planning on taking a tour this visit. My husband uses a mobility scooter and there were no good tours when we looked before boarding. We were planning on staying on the ship so even a quick visit to the port area was a bonus for us ( and the tee shirt vendors!!)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mim Lloyd said:

Yes but not sure about wandering freely yet. I think so but am having to look it up. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mim Lloyd said:

See my post #29 above. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/18/2021 at 9:45 AM, F27TW said:

Too bad too, because Antigua's nicer than St, Kitts.

Just be careful getting off the ship in St. Kitts .. the sketchy looking pushy dudes with the little monkeys coming up pushing the monkey in your arms, snapping a pic .. then demanding money .. tell them to go ****.    (unless, of course you want the pic .. lol).   Saw quite a few people fall for it, too since these guys look kinda seedy and intimidating.  

We've been to St. Kitts many times and we have never had the monkey dudes (not intimidating or seedy looking) push a monkey in my or my wifes arms. Like all vendors(no matter the port) we aren't interested in, a quick no thank you and keep on walking. 

• Like 1

On 11/18/2021 at 10:54 AM, Jimbo said:

Don't book the Caribbean  cruise for the itinerary, book for the ship because you never really know where you are going more then 1 month ahead of time and sometimes that isn't even a safe bet.

Buyer beware.

Disagree. We book for the itinerary. If it gets changed we adjust accordingly. 

• Like 2