Serenade: Only Diamond+ and Pinnacles allowed in Diamond Lounge?

AC Stew

A friend on the current November 18 Serenade out of Tampa has advised that Diamonds are going to be restricted from accessing the Diamond Lounge. Only Diamond+ and Pinnacles are allowed! This is an entirely separate issue from vouchers, capacity monitoring, and no more "self-serve" from the coffee machine.

If true, Diamonds will no longer be able to sit in the Diamond when it's quiet and enjoy a cappuccino. (Subjective of course, but I think that the machine coffee is decent.) For me, this is one of the benefits that I truly appreciate. I haven't noticed any "official" changes to benefits. Could this be an arbitrary "ship specific" ruling? Seems like a real slap in the face to an awful lot of loyal Diamond customers.

Can anyone confirm or comment on any repercussions?

Turned Diamond on our b2b on Serenade. We were welcomed into the lounge on November 4th on our last leg. Really enjoyed this area. Seems strange if Serenade is operating under different protocols than the rest of the fleet. Is this happening now our maybe a rumor for future sailings?

Edited by coaster
  • Thanks 1

On Oasis from Bayonne, they had a Pinnacle only lounge in Jazz on 4 (next to the D Lounge).  The result was ... Jazz on 4 was empty and the D lounge was always full.  The should have kicked the Pinns out of the D lounge.  😄

Actually, they should have used Jazz on 4 as D lounge overflow, as they did pre-Covid. 

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, Heymarco said:

I think Royal should do away with the entire loyalty based program and just go for surprise and delight model instead. It would be a breath of fresh air for a cruise line.

It seems like they're actually going to a "pay to play" model.  The Key, Suite only lounge, etc.  You now can pretty much just buy the loyalty benefits, rather than earn them.

• Like 1

It was announced today on the November 18 Serenade sailing.

To the ruffled feathers of a commenter:  After 20 cruises with Royal, we've earned the benefits that their program offers. No more ... no less. And we remain patient with any changes due to Covid protocols. And we always, always appreciate those benefits.

• Like 2

That would be a great start.  Pre-covid they started the conversion of Concierge Lounge to Suite Lounges and eliminated Diamond + from having access to most of them.  

I settle for 1100-2300 beer, wine, and cocktails in the suite lounge on ALL ships. 

From past experience on Serenade, I cruise her quite frequently, my guess is  they will make the Safari Lounge into a diamond lounge. There is no way all of the D, D+ and Pinnacles will fit into the regular diamond lounge.

They have used the Safari Lounge quite frequently for that purpose.

Edited by Venice Cruising
  • Like 3

We just got off Serenade today and heard no rumors about this.  I wonder if it is a temporary change as perhaps they were expecting a large number of Diamonds?   The DL is very small, the area that we have seen used for overflow into the Viking Lounge was blocked off as a Pinnacle Lounge for the10 Pinnacles on board.🙄

When the door was open as we walked past,  we noticed the Suite Lounge never had more than a table or two occupied.  

Sherri🙂

1 hour ago, HicksRA said:

Would definitely be a slap in the face for those who have been scrambling with the double points incentive to get to Diamond. 
Maybe it’s just a sailing specific action based on C&A numbers. 

Ahh - but a pat on the back for these scrambling with double points to get to Diamond Plus 🙂

(kidding)

(Well, kinda kidding - diamond plus next week)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Venice Cruising said:

From past experience on Serenade, I cruise her quite frequently, my guess is  they will make the Safari Lounge into a diamond lounge. There is no way all of the D, D+ and Pinnacles will fit into the regular diamond lounge.

They have used the Safari Lounge quite frequently for that purpose.

Just started reading this thread and was going to say exactly what you said as we sailed on Serenade many times, shes one of our favorites.  Have seen safari lounge used for overflow many times.

5 hours ago, Heymarco said:

Why would it be a slap in the face? Barrier for entry is so low compare to other travel industry loyalty programs. Not sure why diamonds feel so entitled. 

I think Royal should do away with the entire loyalty based program and just go for surprise and delight model instead. It would be a breath of fresh air for a cruise line.

What is Surprise and Delight??

I am not sure what you think would be a breath of fresh air... People are excited when they make Platinum!! Now you want them to scrap it all  🤣😂🤣

RC would be dodging bullets from all sides!! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Heymarco said:

It’s a marketing strategy that builds up big brand hype and “rewards” customers with new and exciting products. Think Apple or Tesla; do they have a formal loyalty program? No. However, they have some of the strongest loyalty fan bases on the planet. 

I know know what it is...  I just don't see how you think it would work. 

I can't see a company scrapping a loyalty program they had in place for decades 

7 hours ago, Heymarco said:

It’s a marketing strategy that builds up big brand hype and “rewards” customers with new and exciting products. Think Apple or Tesla; do they have a formal loyalty program? No. However, they have some of the strongest loyalty fan bases on the planet. 

I get no love from Apple despite owning several products from different portfolios.  I only get increasingly inferior products and increasing terrible operating systems.  They don't even give existing owners access to new products 10 minutes the public.  Are those my rewards?

C&A is hugely successful.  

• Like 7