Serenade: Only Diamond+ and Pinnacles allowed in Diamond Lounge?

AC Stew

55 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

Please check the batteries in your sarcasm detector.

I'm still D until I board my next cruse.  My parents are D, my brother is D, and my daughter will turn D in a couple of weeks.

That's not how your post came across...but good for you making D+.

• Thanks 1

Was there any information regarding the reason for the change?. Is it temporary? 

And, is there any indication that this is the situation on other ships?  (I’m guessing not, or there would be lots more comments on CC. 

m

Edited by cruisegirl1

17 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Was there any information regarding the reason for the change?. Is it temporary? 

And, is there any indication that this is the situation on other ships?  (I’m guessing not, or there would be lots more comments on CC. 

m

Haven't experienced any change in access to the DL on any of the 4 different ships (the Serenade was one) we've been on thus far.

Edited by bucfan2

On 11/19/2021 at 6:57 AM, twangster said:

I get no love from Apple despite owning several products from different portfolios.  I only get increasingly inferior products and increasing terrible operating systems.  They don't even give existing owners access to new products 10 minutes the public.  Are those my rewards?

C&A is hugely successful.  

I get cash back rewards when I use the Apple card to pay for an apple product at the apple store.

Edited by Iamcruzin

I have no dog in this race seeing as I'm not loyal to one line. I shop for the best value and book accordingly which is instant gratification for me. I don't like the idea of having to be in a set place at a set time to reap the benefits. When I first started cruising the biggest complaints I heard from anyone who didn't like cruising was the fact that everything was scheduled. The C&A program is only attractive to me now because they are allowing you to use those drink vouchers any time any place. I don't know how long they will continue allowing this but it sounds like it may be long term if they are eliminating the lounges.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I get cash back rewards when I use the Apple card to pay for an apple product at the apple store.

Anyone who has moderate to good credit can get a branded credit card.   Branded credit cards are not a loyalty reward.  They are an anyone award, anyone with that credit card.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, twangster said:

Anyone who has moderate to good credit can get a branded credit card.   Branded credit cards are not a loyalty reward.  They are an anyone award, anyone with that credit card.

No not a loyalty program but apple doesn't have to run a sale so no need for marketing gimmicks . They have their loyalists without having to offer anything.  Basically I took the card because of interest free financing. I now buy my phones outright rather than commit to a mobile carrier contract.  Competition between cruise lines must be a challenge so much that they offer loyalty programs to keep passengers.  What amazes me is how people will jump through hoops to reach the next level only to be disappointed in the end.  These programs are up front from the beginning that the terms and conditions can change at anytime. 

11 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

No not a loyalty program but apple doesn't have to run a sale so no need for marketing gimmicks . They have their loyalists without having to offer anything.  Basically I took the card because of interest free financing. I now buy my phones outright rather than commit to a mobile carrier contract.  Competition between cruise lines must be a challenge so much that they offer loyalty programs to keep passengers.  What amazes me is how people will jump through hoops to reach the next level only to be disappointed in the end.  These programs are up front from the beginning that the terms and conditions can change at anytime. 

Apple's success has also been it's downfall.  When you are at the top there is only one way to go.   Cruise lines are very different from hardware manufacturers.  Apple sells a physical device.  Royal's product is very different from a physical device.  The two can't be compared.  

Not everyone who jumps through hoops in the name of loyalty is disappointed.  In fact I bet a small but vocal minority may be.  When I was a frequent flyer I received complimentary first class domestic upgrades 98% of the time.  No complaints then and no complaints from me about C&A and how it has evolved.  Loyalty pays.

There will always be that group of people who are convinced that by complaining they'll get more.   That doesn't mean they don't love what they are getting, they just are trying to always get just one more thing and in their mind complaining is the way to get it.  You can't paint everyone with that brush.

I'm very pleased with C&A and I don't complain about the changes that have been required to adapt to the times.  They've worked out fine.

Edited by twangster
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

Someone ELSE who says that he is on board right now says that it's not true.

So there you go:  You can choose the answer you like.

Merion-Mom: Just curious, did that individual post something? When my friend returns from the sailing,  I will find out FOR SURE how or if the Serenade followed through. As reported, the back to back pax were told that Ds would be restricted from the DL. Maybe there was an uproar and Royal backed down?

I think fit is amazing that this topic is even being discussed.   The OP, with good intentions I'm sure... posted that a friend told them... well.  That friend is WRONG.   Totally WRONG.   I have no idea why they thought this... but no one Diamond and above has been removed from any diamond lounge on any ship for any time (either temporary or permanent) .   Check your source of information if you are going to report such information.    Or... just keep discussing something that has not happened.   Your choice. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

I have no dog in this race seeing as I'm not loyal to one line. I shop for the best value and book accordingly which is instant gratification for me. I don't like the idea of having to be in a set place at a set time to reap the benefits. When I first started cruising the biggest complaints I heard from anyone who didn't like cruising was the fact that everything was scheduled. The C&A program is only attractive to me now because they are allowing you to use those drink vouchers any time any place. I don't know how long they will continue allowing this but it sounds like it may be long term if they are eliminating the lounges.

We aren't loyal to any cruise line we sail with. Just happen to cruise enough to get (pay for) the different tier levels on the different cruise lines and the perks/benefits that are nice to have. 

26 minutes ago, davekathy said:

We aren't loyal to any cruise line we sail with. Just happen to cruise enough to get (pay for) the different tier levels on the different cruise lines and the perks/benefits that are nice to have. 

Sailing with RCI for many years just turned out to be the way it was for us. We found something that we liked and stuck with it. Tried PCL (meh) once for the itinerary and the fact that it sailed from our home port after RCI left. Also sailed once with Celebrity (nice) again for the itinerary and had booked again for the itinerary but then moved my deposit because of covid and have a May 2023 booked with them...again an amazing itinerary. So nothing we book is for loyalty status.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, twangster said:

There will always be that group of people who are convinced that by complaining they'll get more.   That doesn't mean they don't love what they are getting, they just are trying to always get just one more thing and in their mind complaining is the way to get it.  You can't paint everyone with that brush.

Good analysis.  Well-said.

3 hours ago, AC Stew said:

Merion-Mom: Just curious, did that individual post something? When my friend returns from the sailing,  I will find out FOR SURE how or if the Serenade followed through. As reported, the back to back pax were told that Ds would be restricted from the DL. Maybe there was an uproar and Royal backed down?

That individual posted on FB, emphatically.

1 hour ago, LindaO said:

I think fit is amazing that this topic is even being discussed.   The OP, with good intentions I'm sure... posted that a friend told them... well.  That friend is WRONG.   Totally WRONG.   I have no idea why they thought this... but no one Diamond and above has been removed from any diamond lounge on any ship for any time (either temporary or permanent) .   Check your source of information if you are going to report such information.    Or... just keep discussing something that has not happened.   Your choice. 

I'm not saying that D members WERE barred from the D Lounge on Serenade this current cruise; I'm not saying that D members WERE NOT barred from the D Lounge on the Serenade this current cruise.

But I AM saying that YOU have no fact-based idea either, unless you are currently on board the Serenade.

• Like 1

On 11/18/2021 at 5:20 PM, AC Stew said:

A friend on the current November 18 Serenade out of Tampa has advised that Diamonds are going to be restricted from accessing the Diamond Lounge. Only Diamond+ and Pinnacles are allowed! This is an entirely separate issue from vouchers, capacity monitoring, and no more "self-serve" from the coffee machine.

If true, Diamonds will no longer be able to sit in the Diamond when it's quiet and enjoy a cappuccino. (Subjective of course, but I think that the machine coffee is decent.) For me, this is one of the benefits that I truly appreciate. I haven't noticed any "official" changes to benefits. Could this be an arbitrary "ship specific" ruling? Seems like a real slap in the face to an awful lot of loyal Diamond customers.

Can anyone confirm or comment on any repercussions?

Who told them this?   Did they get a letter in their cabin?   Without 'official' notification this is just a rumor.   AND.... several upper tier people I know have reported that this is not true.   And one other thought... did your friends turn diamond on this cruise?   Because if they did they are not allowed in the Diamond lounge until their next cruise, they do not get benefits until the next cruise.   Just a thought... if they turned diamond on this cruise.   

Edited by LindaO
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, davekathy said:

AND with a self made cheese plate from the WJ. 🍻🍷🧀

Indeed!  Used to get that cheese/fruit plate from room service...but not sure they do it any longer.  We have been doing the same...pick one up at the WJ.  Looks like they have them premade and set up to take now with new protocols...nice!

Hope they have some plates with "stinky cheese"....Bucky's favorite.  😄 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, LindaO said:

UPDATE: The Serenade returned this morning. I have spoken to my friend, who is well into D+ loyalty status (for those of you who have questioned).

TRUTH, NOT RUMOUR: She was told during a luncheon held for a small group of Back-to-Back guests, that the revised DL policy would be in place for her cruise. THIS MORNING, SHE TOLD ME THAT THE SERENADE DID NOT FOLLOW THROUGH WITH THAT DECISION. DIAMONDS WERE STILL ALLOWED IN THE DL. 

So, either there was a backlash, or the decision was rescinded before it was implemented? Or perhaps the Serenade Maitre d' was misinformed.

For those of you have just joined late into this conversation, and have decided to skewer me, please take another look at my posts. I only reported what I'd been told from a close reliable source, and asked a few times if anyone had any more info on the subject, or could confirm the policy. I had no reason to disbelieve my friend, but I still sought out confirmation! In this current era of cruising, with ever changing protocols, it's perfectly reasonable to see changes to the accepted norm. I just wanted to know!

In point of fact, lots of interesting (and beneficial) discussion was generated by my question. That's what Cruise Critic should be all about.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, AC Stew said:

TRUTH, NOT RUMOUR: She was told during a luncheon held for a small group of Back-to-Back guests, that the revised DL policy would be in place for her cruise. THIS MORNING, SHE TOLD ME THAT THE SERENADE DID NOT FOLLOW THROUGH WITH THAT DECISION. DIAMONDS WERE STILL ALLOWED IN THE DL. 

I believe she was told that... but WHO told her that.   It makes a big difference.   If another passenger told her... it is a rumor.   If the Hotel Director told her that... well, that is a different story.   But just being 'told' and not stating who said it lends to discredit.   I am still curious as to who told her, but I do understand if this matter is over for you.    But, as a precaution in the future, you might want to find out the source of the information before repeating it.

22 hours ago, AC Stew said:

UPDATE: The Serenade returned this morning. I have spoken to my friend, who is well into D+ loyalty status (for those of you who have questioned).

So, either there was a backlash, or the decision was rescinded before it was implemented? Or perhaps the Serenade Maitre d' was misinformed.

For those of you have just joined late into this conversation, and have decided to skewer me, please take another look at my posts. I only reported what I'd been told from a close reliable source, and asked a few times if anyone had any more info on the subject, or could confirm the policy. I had no reason to disbelieve my friend, but I still sought out confirmation! In this current era of cruising, with ever changing protocols, it's perfectly reasonable to see changes to the accepted norm. I just wanted to know!

In point of fact, lots of interesting (and beneficial) discussion was generated by my question. That's what Cruise Critic should be all about.

Thank you, @AC Stew

Sort of what I suspected.  And I would love to know the sequence of events.  My money is on "backlash tsunami".  😉 

• Like 1

On 11/18/2021 at 10:42 PM, Heymarco said:

It’s a marketing strategy that builds up big brand hype and “rewards” customers with new and exciting products. Think Apple or Tesla; do they have a formal loyalty program? No. However, they have some of the strongest loyalty fan bases on the planet. 

I may be naïve but isn't there only so much you can do on a boat to provide WOW and Surprise? Service is your best bet.  Food quality next, user experience (overall) is third...once you "Amplify" a boat, it immediately starts to age out as the next cool thing.   (I am thinking lipstick on a pig...A very big and expensive pig that floats...  )

On 11/23/2021 at 10:00 AM, LindaO said:

I believe she was told that... but WHO told her that.   It makes a big difference.   If another passenger told her... it is a rumor.   If the Hotel Director told her that... well, that is a different story.   But just being 'told' and not stating who said it lends to discredit.   I am still curious as to who told her, but I do understand if this matter is over for you.    But, as a precaution in the future, you might want to find out the source of the information before repeating it.

Fer cryin' out loud! It was the Maitre d'. Asked and answered. Look AGAIN at my posts as well as the header, in which I wrote a very obvious Question Mark! I was asking a QUESTION, as in "Can anyone confirm ...?"  Yeah, I expressed some thoughts, but never once, did I state that the policy was indisputable fact. 

As a precaution, might I suggest that in the future, you read a little more carefully before you lash out. And stop poking at a dead horse. Please,  just enjoy the amusing commentary that has been added!

Done and done.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2