Crown Grill

Phantom of the Seas

47 minutes ago, Phantom of the Seas said:

Read the menu, but have never tried the seafood dishes...

Neither have I - I go for the meat.  My wife has had lobster there and enjoyed it - but that can vary a lot from time to time and year to year.  No current info to pass along.  That said, other items are good quality, so IDK why the seafood would not be.  I used to get the scallops for an app, but they were gone and now scallops are back, but we have not sailed since resumption of service.

We were on the Ruby the first week of November. Had three dinners at the Crown Grill. Night one we waited 90 minutes for any food or drink to appear on the table. It did get better after that. Two out of three of hubby’s NY steaks were half fat. The last steak was good. I had the sea bass and it was nothing to write home about. The Black and Blue onion soup was a watery imitation of itself. We kept hoping dinners would get better. They didn’t. 

On the other hand, Sabatinis was fabulous. Ate there three times also. Different choices every dinner. It was all wonderful and so was the service. I was not a fan of Sabatinis previously but I sure am now.  

• Thanks 1

I like red meat as much as the next guy, but I have to say the Sea Bass entree is outstanding.

Mrs. XBGuy loves the Mussel Pot.  She will order that on our initial Crown Grill visit during any cruise.  There is a better than even chance that she will order it on subsequent visits.

The Lobster Tail entree is not compelling.  Try them if you would like, but, as you can see, I do not recommend.

Various seafood appetizers are good, but I really like the Shrimp Bisque.

On some Alaska cruises I have seen added inserts in the Crown Grill menu featuring special dishes from Alaska waters--Oysters, Salmon, Halibut,  However, it is not a sure thing--some cruises have it but others don't.

Edited by XBGuy
  • Thanks 1

I too prefer Sabatini's over the Crown Grill.  Much more imaginative menu.  We go to both, but my husband who loves his filet, likes Crown Grill.  I am looking forward to our next cruise which is on the Majestic to try the other two restaurants we haven't experienced yet.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, fabby50 said:

I too prefer Sabatini's over the Crown Grill.  Much more imaginative menu.  We go to both, but my husband who loves his filet, likes Crown Grill.  I am looking forward to our next cruise which is on the Majestic to try the other two restaurants we haven't experienced yet.

Can't he order the Filet in Sabatini's - doesn't everything come from the same kitchen ?

10 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Yes, the restaurants are not the same area of the ship.

I think that depends on which ship your are on, on the Grand, they are right next to each other.  The staff in the Crown Grill brought me a main dish from Sabatini's one night.  The staff, atmosphere, etc. in both are great, its just all up to your tastes and what food you prefer.  I am a sucker for the pasta dishes, the appetizers and the desserts in Sabatini's.

4 hours ago, fabby50 said:

I think that depends on which ship your are on, on the Grand, they are right next to each other.  The staff in the Crown Grill brought me a main dish from Sabatini's one night.  The staff, atmosphere, etc. in both are great, its just all up to your tastes and what food you prefer.  I am a sucker for the pasta dishes, the appetizers and the desserts in Sabatini's.

On the Grand, the Crown Grill (mid-ship) and Sabatini's aft are on the same deck but not next to each other.  

• Like 1

Just off the Majestic (11/13).  Loved Bistro Sur La Mer.  DH had the duck and said it was outstanding.  I had the sea bass and it was great.  Also ate at Crown Grill.  Have always enjoyed this venue on many Princess Cruises. However we were both very disappointed this time.  I had the ribeye - ordered it med rare.  It was less than 1/2 inch thick and was somewhere between medium to medium well and quite chewy.  DH had Lobster.  He said it was dry and tasteless.  Didn't help we had a waitress who was unfriendly, not knowledgeable about the menu and rushed us through the whole meal.  She never even offered us a drink before dinner and when we asked for one she said "ok and then when I bring your drinks will you be ready to order?"  WOW!  Also, DH has food allergy (tree nuts) which we told the Head Waiter about.  He said he would let the waitress know - he didn't.  We informed the waitress and she promptly forgot and brought a dessert that was garnished with walnuts.  Not a great night and the first time we have ever been disappointed with the Crown Grill or Sterling Steakhouse.  Did not try Harmony so can't comment.  We are on Discovery next and the Ruby.  We are looking forward to Sabattini's.

1 hour ago, DiRonT said:

Just off the Majestic (11/13).  Loved Bistro Sur La Mer.  DH had the duck and said it was outstanding.  I had the sea bass and it was great.  Also ate at Crown Grill.  Have always enjoyed this venue on many Princess Cruises. However we were both very disappointed this time.  I had the ribeye - ordered it med rare.  It was less than 1/2 inch thick and was somewhere between medium to medium well and quite chewy.  DH had Lobster.  He said it was dry and tasteless.  Didn't help we had a waitress who was unfriendly, not knowledgeable about the menu and rushed us through the whole meal.  She never even offered us a drink before dinner and when we asked for one she said "ok and then when I bring your drinks will you be ready to order?"  WOW!  Also, DH has food allergy (tree nuts) which we told the Head Waiter about.  He said he would let the waitress know - he didn't.  We informed the waitress and she promptly forgot and brought a dessert that was garnished with walnuts.  Not a great night and the first time we have ever been disappointed with the Crown Grill or Sterling Steakhouse.  Did not try Harmony so can't comment.  We are on Discovery next and the Ruby.  We are looking forward to Sabattini's.

At Bistro Sur La Mer did they serve you the cheese "olives"?  We were on the inaugural Sky crossing and the chef that designed the menu was on board and I wasn't sure if that was special for our sailing or if that's a signature thing they serve.  Food was amazing!